Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
From the 2014 RAM 2500 Owners Manual, Diesel Supplement.

Engine Idling
Avoid prolonged idling, long periods of idling may be
harmful to your engine because combustion chamber
temperatures can drop so low that the fuel may not burn
completely. Incomplete combustion allows carbon and
varnish to form on piston rings, cylinder head valves,
and injector nozzles. Also, the unburned fuel can enter
the crankcase, diluting the oil and causing rapid wear to
the engine.
The book said that even on my 99 Cummins. It caused me concern when I started transporting trailers for a living I put a lot of idling hours on that truck although I never idled it all night except once in AZ. when it was too hot to sleep I presume that no harm was done as I still have the truck as it approaches the 600K mark. The older trucks had an optional computer flash that would kick the idle speed up for warm up if certain temperature criteria were met.
On the newer Ram trucks the same thing can be done by turning on the cruise while in park and hitting the minus button and you can ramp up the idle speed for warming up. It will disengage when the brake is hit, and maybe other things too. AS far as I know that trick is not temperature sensitive.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
switz, my friend, full load refers to the load placed on the engine. Don't stand on the throttle and wind out each gear is another way of saying this. Same for gassers. A reasonble rate of acceleraton is all that is needed.

High idle -- above all else -- is to keep the oil pressure at the main bearings high. Any other benefits are of a distant secondary nature

As to temp control, a MOPAR (not aftermarket) winter cover will help substantially in early achieving and maintaining coolant temps. Thus, oil temps, as the coolant is used to both heat and cool the engne lubricating oil. Check owners manual for advisibility.

Also, the "energetic" content of "winter fuel blends is only down by 4% from summer blends. Heat exchanger temp control is indicated in some ways for winter, but the latest emissions systems/engine controls will fast heat oil and coolant, even in sub-40F weather while running down the highway.

There is no necessity to idle from cold start. Once oil pressure is up (2-seconds) put it in gear and ease away. The OEM's aren't ever going to release an engine where enforced idling is a requiurement.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Diesel Operation

As I am about to order my first diesel, Ram 2500 Cummins...I'm concerned that I've got to let it idle for an extended time before driving off. What is the proper procedure for starting and running a diesel. This will be my daily driver as well. Sorry if this takes this thread in a different direction.

Bob
Indiana,PA
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
As I am about to order my first diesel, Ram 2500 Cummins...I'm concerned that I've got to let it idle for an extended time before driving off. What is the proper procedure for starting and running a diesel. This will be my daily driver as well. Sorry if this takes this thread in a different direction.

Bob
Indiana,PA
No, you should be able to get in and go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

As the owner of a diesel Excursion and two diesel motorhomes before that, I am amazed at he inconsiderate knuckleheads that idle their diesels for long periods of time at the campsite before dawn. Everyone sleeps lightly before dawn and all that mechanical rattle is aggravating. Worse is the moron who steps on his air brakes repeatedly as part of the "pre run check".
If I leave early, I break camp, get everything stowed, start my engine, run it under very light load to an uninhabited area where I can do the pre run check, hook up the car or futz with it all day if I want.
Once the oil is circulating, running the vehicle under very light load causes zero increased wear. My Excursion is coming up on 300,000 miles and the engine will wear out the body. I have never idled it to warm it up to operating temps. I run it slowly, "staying out of the turbo" until if warms up, even in cold temps. When the temp is cold and the humidity is high, idling the engine puts contaminants in the oil.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Yeah, those early Dodge Cummins are SSOOOO loud, it's a wonder they made it through the EPA for DB's. There's no doubt when you sit next to one at a stop light or when they come through your campground at 1 am trying to find a spot. When I had my Ford diesels, I would just plug in the block heater if the temp was lower than 40 and the engine would be nice and toasty as soon as I fired it up. No idling needed.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Bob
Indiana,PA
Don't forget to read the owners manual for all the good tips.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Roadrunner- When you get the 2500 with the Cummins read the owners manual. They have intake manifold heaters, at least my '08 does. There is a dash light for it so wait for it to go out if weather is cool/cold. When you start engine the heater will cycle on and and off, how long depends on ambient temp. Engine volt meter is a clue to heater cycling, voltage will drop when heater is on. When it quits cycling, OK to go.

If warm enough that heater doesn't come on just go.

In all cases remember that warming engine does nothing to warm transmission or rear end so take it easy first few miles, especially when towing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
There is a good summary on the new diesel's here in the papar today.

"Cox says that it’s important to “be as concerned with the engine as you are with the transmission” and a proper warm-up helps the longevity of both these components."

Clearing up common misconceptions about diesel trucks | Driving

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
good info here...I bought my cummins dodge 2500 2010 model just last year....I need to dig through the manual because so far I am not well studied about all the nuances, care, and maintenance...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Also forgot to mention to check oil requirements, must meet Cummins spec 20008, some 15w-40 diesel oils don't. We use Valvoline Blue Extreme 5w-40 synthetic. Dodge specifies syn. For cold weather but I use it year around. I feel this helps with good lube during warm up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Any discussion about oil should look at the very best oil web site and discussions with real oil experts, which may include using dino oil vs synthetic:

www.bobistheoilguy.com
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote