Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 07:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Just because some marketing dept uses the term “train horns” does not equate to “illegal”.

Defensive, mature driving attitudes are certainly what Every Airstreamer should practice..and I suspect they do. I’ve never witnessed ANY RV or Camping Trailer driver use their vehicle in an aggressive manner.

Highway travel by nature is mostly rural and mostly amongst vehicles which are distant, windows closed, and perhaps with music or radio programming ongoing.

A horn is not a rifle, rock, club, or other weapon. It is a warning/signalling device to be used whenever necessary to Warn of impending danger. That is why large trucks and Trains have them.

They are not to be used for entertainment… or to pull up into someone’s driveway to announce one’s presence or arrival. They are a Safety Warning Device.

Road Rage does not require a loud horn to exist. I doubt anyone can show an instance where road rage erupted into a gun-fight over a loud horn … but even if they could… it does not demonstrate the horn instigated the conflict.

I have loud air-horns installed for highway usage only and have used them sparingly but found them very helpful in improving safe driving. I credit them twice with having prevented an accident by warning another vehicle of my presence when they were trying to pull into me (perhaps either distracted or was in their blind-spot)… The first time a schoolbus and the second time a Diesel Pusher RV!

My air horns are tied to my ordinary steering-wheel horns by a relay which I energize whenever towing anywhere or anytime when traveling on the highway, so I do not have to remember a second switch somewhere.

There’s no reason for anyone to denigrate me or anyone else who uses any type horn or other legitimate equipment they choose…. Be a responsible, respectful and mature forums participant.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Adding an Air Horn / F250 ~ recommendation?

In general, horns as sirens on ambulances, emergency vehicles and police vehicles are unnecessary and noise polluting, they are omni directional and cause confusion to nearby traffic that cannot assign this useful information, to pedestrians emergency lighting is more effective in providing much needed warning to those closest to danger. Motorists use of a horn in a manufactured factory equipped vehicle in a circumstance to alert a pedestrian emergency directly in the sphere of influence may be helpful, probably better to concentrate on an a defensive maneuver. In many areas horns are prohibited and have signs warning of fines for offenders. In the are we live emergency vehicles use their lighting and use sirens sparingly.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
There's a guy from somewhere around our neighborhood who has a train locomotive sounding horn on his truck. He occasionally blows it, i

Its illegal. 100%. If not by transportation code, by city noise ordinance laws, if in the city limits or state law prohibiting unreasonable noise, usually over 80 DB in residential zones under general conduct codes for disorderly conduct.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
This sets the stage perfectly for a road rage incident. Instead of the horn, play some Bob Marley, James Taylor, or better yet, “Don’t Worry Be Happy”. You’ve got an Airstream, you won!
:-)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
On my old Series Rover, the original horn was kaput, so I replaced it with a Hella Supertone. It's not a 'trainhorn', it's the normal automotive disc type of horn, a pair of them (a hi and a lo), but it does a much better job than, say, the factory horn in my wife's Subaru.
WBCCI #1051
Old 12-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #26
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
I installed a 3 ft. long electric trumpet crossways behind the front bumper of my F-150. It has a separate relay with heavy gauge wiring controlled by the steering wheel pad. With the stock horns plus the accessory horn, it sounds like a cement truck (are those legal in NY?). I could easily wire it with a switch to select only the stock horns if I lived in a state that strikes fear in the hearts of it's citizens. I consider it Safety Equipment. When I see one of those new Rams with the "Big Horn" badge, I am tempted to ask, "Just how big is your horn?".
Old 12-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

Road Rage does not require a loud horn to exist. I doubt anyone can show an instance where road rage erupted into a gun-fight over a loud horn … but even if they could… it does not demonstrate the horn instigated the conflict.

I have loud air-horns installed for highway usage only and have used them sparingly but found them very helpful in improving safe driving. I credit them twice with having prevented an accident by warning another vehicle of my presence when they were trying to pull into me (perhaps either distracted or was in their blind-spot)… The first time a schoolbus and the second time a Diesel Pusher RV!
Been to Texas lately? Down here, using a loud horn is noted for being a regular precursor to receiving a bullet in your vehicle. Not intended its presumed to hurt or harm but just to show who's the "boss". Mostly they are delivered from high powered pick-up's which after delivery speeds up and disappears. So that by the time a report can be filed they are in the next county. A few have been caught but there have been no known (by me and my attorneys) court appearances. "It will buff out" is a common response!

On the two occasions with which I have some familiarity, the horn was used for just the circumstance you described. The pick-up passed a 18 wheeler that was trying to keep a safe distance from the one in front but admitted by the driver was probably still too close. Pick decided to pull into that space and received a blast from the truck it had passed. That set off the driver of the pick-up.

The second case was slightly different as the pick-up had passed a stream of traffic waiting to pass a slower line of 18 wheelers on the left. The pick-up steamed up the right side passed the line and cut in front of another pick up towing a utility trailer when he received his horn blast.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
Been to Texas lately? Down here, using a loud horn is noted for being a regular precursor to receiving a bullet in your vehicle. ….
I guess your wisdom failed you to notice where my profile mentions my location…?

I’m calling bullsheit on your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Drivers of big giant pickups have a certain reputation. Is it earned? You be the judge from this thread. Clearly the world needs more aggressive, agitating behavior doesn’t it?,

If you actually read nys v&t law, it basically says law enforcement can cite anyone with a horn they deem as obnoxious.

I know someone who years ago who responded to aggressive behavior with additional aggressive behavior and he took a 45 in the chest Dead right…
Can we deem anyone related to Chicken-Little or who criticizes legitimate use of equipment “obnoxious”…?
Old 12-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

The Mercedes Benz 560SEL during the late 1980's early 1990's came with a "Dual Horn Option". One sounding more like a freight train, the other like a VW Bug.

I think the reason for the option was more of a city/country sound since it appears the freight train would be more effective in the country, but overkill for the city.

Enjoy,
Old 12-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #30
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I understand that there are times you want to make sure to get your message across to the vehicle about to try and cross the road in front of you and cut you off without room/time for you to stop.

I also understand that a horn loud enough to accomplish this task might be too loud to warn that 90-year-old about to walk into traffic without giving him/her a heart attack.

My theory is to use the right tool for the job. When driving truck we always seemed to be able to distinguish when to use the electric horn on the steering wheel and when to pull the lanyard to sound the air horns. You practice using both till they are second nature, and when you need them you have them at the ready.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
Old 12-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I guess your wisdom failed you to notice where my profile mentions my location…?

I’m calling bullsheit on your post.

Can we deem anyone related to Chicken-Little or who criticizes legitimate use of equipment “obnoxious”…?
Ok pal.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post

I know someone who years ago who responded to aggressive behavior with additional aggressive behavior and he took a 45 in the chest Dead right…
Don’t you think it a better position for you to take….to take offense at the person pulling out the .45… instead of someone using a legitimate method of caution…??

It seems to me that Your position is the one out-of-place. Pal.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I have a dual fire truck air horn purchased as a kit from airhorns of texas. I also used a relay and an upfitter switch to operate it-that way it can be turned off. I got it with a 5 gallon air tank with a quick release to be able to air up my tires when necessary.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
York , South Carolina
Can’t fix stupid
Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #35
Engineer

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
<meep> <meep> Interstate horn sounds like the road runner. On last trip we were almost hit about five times.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Crazy how this discussion has evolved from OP's original post! Like democrats and republicans...who's right? Obviously, the one with the loudest horn! Or, is it biggest truck? Or which state is most dangerous if you use your horn?

I remember when CB's were all the rage, and many of "us" at least me...had a loud speaker in the grill... (hope this doesn't offend anyone here) In certain situations, that speaker came in handy to get folks "attention" while on the road...at a stop light...or just to have some --wait for it-- FUN!

Giving a "greeting" thru the speaker like, "pull over" or "get back on the sidewalk" always got folks attention....heads all of a sudden were on a swivel looking for a cop car or unmarked car...those were the days for sure! And...no insulting "Forum folks" to hurt our feelings!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytinkr View Post
Can’t fix stupid
A rather vacant response, to what?
Never mind...just opinion.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
Appealing to the collective knowledge here!

After being TOTALLY cut of for the millionth time, I really want to get some version of an Air Horn (compressor driven or not) that I can trigger from my up fitter switch on my 2020 F250. (Stop texting while lane changing!!! )

But there seem to be a billion different choices. Do you really have to install a compressor? Train horn? Sure....but it doesn't have to be THAT loud.

What have you all done ~ what would you have done differently?
I knew people that installed train air horns in semi trucks that already had an air system. Best is to check online review sites that actually installed and tested the units.

there is lots of info out there and a lot of crap info. Like shopping on wish.com lots of exaggerated claims. If you can find something about 125-135 real dB it will be plenty loud. Stock horns are usually about 100-110 dB new and drop to about 95 dB after a few years.

online search came back with this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...313318909.html

Wallyworld
advertises 600 db kits (if they really were they would kill anyone within about 500 ft)

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/loudest-electric-car-horns

A quick check of Amazon came up with these kits; many include built in compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vehicle+h...f=nb_sb_noss_1

this looks like a decent deal and probably not lying too much about the db output

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Horns-.../dp/B00JHQ7PF6

and this make the ears bleed kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Trucks-Loudes.../dp/B08HS4C5RL

a few more

https://www.kapscomoto.com/us/12v-du...ud-135-db.html

some info here too

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/31118/best-air-horn

https://www.autoguide.com/best-car-horns

https://www.bassheadspeakers.com/loudest-car-horns/

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/30712/best-car-horn

this might also help

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-lo...-on-my-vehicle

https://decibelpro.app/blog/decibel-...sound-sources/

https://www.wapcar.my/collect-faqs/d...-1637661769967

https://escholarship.mcgill.ca/conce...cles/v979v6884

https://hornblasters.com/en-ca/blogs...ur-train-horns

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...view+car+horns
Old 12-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The factory horn in one of my cars was not loud enough.
You could barely hear it inside the car, so it would be nearly impossible to hear it on another car even a short distance away.

I bought two sets of horns - Wolo MaxiSound. It comes with a high and low horn. I installed both sets so I have two high and two low. It’s not obnoxious and doesn’t sound like a train or a fire truck but it is loud enough for others to hear it.

One day I was travelling at the speed limit on a city street when a kid with headphones on abruptly turned and stepped off the sidewalk to cross the road in front of me without looking. I was paying attention and hit the brakes and horn as soon as I saw him turn. There was no way he would have gotten past me or that I would have stopped before hitting him. He heard the loud horn and jumped back on the sidewalk in plenty of time.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
After being TOTALLY cut of for the millionth time, I really want to get some version of an Air Horn (compressor driven or not) that I can trigger from my up fitter switch on my 2020 F250. (Stop texting while lane changing!!! )
Have you thought of a dash cam? It may not be as immediately satisfying as an air horn, but you have the info for a "follow up" to your liking...
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Closed Thread