Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Crazy how this discussion has evolved from OP's original post! Like democrats and republicans...who's right? Obviously, the one with the loudest horn! Or, is it biggest truck? Or which state is most dangerous if you use your horn?

I remember when CB's were all the rage, and many of "us" at least me...had a loud speaker in the grill... (hope this doesn't offend anyone here) In certain situations, that speaker came in handy to get folks "attention" while on the road...at a stop light...or just to have some --wait for it-- FUN!

Giving a "greeting" thru the speaker like, "pull over" or "get back on the sidewalk" always got folks attention....heads all of a sudden were on a swivel looking for a cop car or unmarked car...those were the days for sure! And...no insulting "Forum folks" to hurt our feelings!
Where’s that LIKE button..???

And if you had that speaker in front of the grille…you could work outside in the pasture and still know the wife was calling you on the CB that someone was telephoning you…(remember, this is waay before cell phones)…. or that supper was ready!
I found it quite useful.

People these days are just too-ready to be “incensed” about anything/everything and need to chill-out and be courteous. Blowing a loud horn in a highway environment is not discourteous…. it’s safer.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Where’s that LIKE button..???

And if you had that speaker in front of the grille…you could work outside in the pasture and still know the wife was calling you on the CB that supper was ready!
I found it quite useful.

People these days are just too-ready to be “incensed” about anything/everything and need to chill-out and be courteous. Blowing a loud horn in a highway environment is not discourteous…. it’s safer.

I’ve still got that old PA speaker laying around in the garage. No more CB radios, though..

Best gag was when a buddy grabbed the microphone while we were near one of his neighbor’s homes in the 1960’s and announced “This is a drug bust! Come out with your hands up”. We heard a sudden flushing of several toilets in the residence and a bit later a bunch of people did come out with their hands up. They saw nothing…. My buddy had suspected it was a drug house and that confirmed his suspicions. The people disappeared from the neighborhood shortly thereafter.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’ve still got that old PA speaker laying around in the garage. No more CB radios, though..

Best gag was when a buddy grabbed the microphone while we were near one of his neighbor’s homes in the 1960’s and announced “This is a drug bust! Come out with your hands up”. We heard a sudden flushing of several toilets in the residence and a bit later a bunch of people did come out with their hands up. They saw nothing…. My buddy had suspected it was a drug house and that confirmed his suspicions. The people disappeared from the neighborhood shortly thereafter.
Now that's funny!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My Class A rig came from the factory with large, dual air horns mounted behind the front grille. The horns actually face straight down, toward the road surface. They are much louder than a typical automotive horn, but they’re not obnoxiously loud like a train horn. There is a switch on the dash to deactivate the air horns. If the air horns are deactivated, a standard automotive horn is activated instead. I’m happy to have them, really more for interstate use than anything else.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 12-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
My Class A rig came from the factory with large, dual air horns mounted behind the front grille. The horns actually face straight down, toward the road surface. They are much louder than a typical automotive horn, but they’re not obnoxiously loud like a train horn. There is a switch on the dash to deactivate the air horns. If the air horns are deactivated, a standard automotive horn is activated instead. I’m happy to have them, really more for interstate use than anything else.
Don’t drive in on NY highways… According to some you’ll end up on Rikers Island.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My Airstream came from the factory with a set of air horns and a single electric horn, both operate with the horn button on steering wheel. When I brought it home, only the electric horn worked and it sounded like something on a golf cart. Found the air pressure line was leaking and a connection hose needed replacement. All 3 are positioned in the front grill and point to the curbside.
First time I heard them operate I was shocked......its just like those on a Freightliner Semi truck. Actually, I do not use it much in traffic but living in a rural area, its blasted often at first sight of deer in or near the road.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:51 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Adding an Air Horn / F250 ~ recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Now that's funny!

Absolutely truth,as well.

Ira J. Friedman, DS1, US Navy, was a good buddy, shipmate, and mentor, taken from us far too soon. He had a wicked sense of humor as well…
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #48
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think you need a big hand with just one finger.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 12-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #49
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Some of the responses are over the top, but in Texas a horn is mostly used in anger to convey a message to a rude or careless driver. I have warned deer with mine also. On IH40 in October I was passing a guy hauling AS's while towing mine and when I got alongside him he gave me a friendly wave and a hello blast with his loud horn. I nearly had an involuntary bowel movement.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:46 AM   #50
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Thread is closed.
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
Closed Thread