Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Adding an Air Horn / F250 ~ recommendation?

Appealing to the collective knowledge here!

After being TOTALLY cut of for the millionth time, I really want to get some version of an Air Horn (compressor driven or not) that I can trigger from my up fitter switch on my 2020 F250. (Stop texting while lane changing!!! )

But there seem to be a billion different choices. Do you really have to install a compressor? Train horn? Sure....but it doesn't have to be THAT loud.

What have you all done ~ what would you have done differently?
Old 11-30-2022, 04:36 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
Appealing to the collective knowledge here!

After being TOTALLY cut of for the millionth time, I really want to get some version of an Air Horn (compressor driven or not) that I can trigger from my up fitter switch on my 2020 F250. (Stop texting while lane changing!!! )

But there seem to be a billion different choices. Do you really have to install a compressor? Train horn? Sure....but it doesn't have to be THAT loud.

What have you all done ~ what would you have done differently?
No need to make it a separate switch, just buy a horn kit and wire the relay to your factory horn wire, you can even leave the factory horns connected if you want. Then run the appropriately sized wire with fuse to a power source. Now your new horn will work with the steering wheel pad, along with the factory horn if you choose to leave that connected. There are plenty of air horn kits that come with a small electric compressor that takes up very little space. Keeping water out of the horns and away from the relay are the keys to making it last.
You don't want to have to look down at the dash or fumble for a switch when you need your horn in a hurry.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I used this one on my Sprinter, it's very loud but only a single note. You can also get them in a dual configuration. Cadillac horns from the salvage yard are another good option but you'll need to buy and set up all the wiring and relay as it's not a kit, but they sound great and very train like. (four notes)(No compressor needed)
On my F350 the horns are plenty loud so I left it stock. Funny thing is nobody ever changes lanes into my VW but several times it has been a problem in my F350.
The OEM Sprinter horn is just plain laughable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gampro.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	425884  
Old 11-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Good luck. You’ll be ticketed here in NY. V&T law…
Old 11-30-2022, 06:55 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Grover Stuttertone, activated with my flash to pass switch, it will deliver a wayward pedestrian right back to the curb. It passes NYS inspection, it's on a separate switch. Small 12v 100psi compressor and 1 gal tank.
25 yrs on 3 vehicles, no problem in this part of NY.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CAD3199-FAEC-4C3C-9BA1-31644B0EFD98_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	425886  
Old 11-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Read nys v&t law. Totally subject to ticketing
Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 PM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Two thoughts...

1) If you go the route of an air horn I think it should be as a separate horn and not as a replacement for your electric horn. Even semis & buses which come from the factory with an air horn have a smaller electric horn and a separate way to activate each.

There are times when using an air horn is dangerous and can make things much worse. When I went through CDL training we were taught that some types of drivers will react the opposite of what you want when they are scared by the air horn and turn towards danger instead of away from it. Plus, when you're trying to get the attention of a 'little old lady/man' crossing the street you don't want to give her/him a heart attack when just a gentle toot on the electric horn is enough.

2) I've got the Cadillac 4-note electric horn installed on my Subaru in replacement for the little squeeze-toy horn it came from the factory with. It's plenty loud to be heard by nearly any one on the road. It will get another driver's attention. But, it's not as loud as an air horn and unlikely to frighten someone. It's also possible to give a tiny toot on it when necessary.

I used to have a small electric-powered air horn and it was just too much for most situations. The Cadillac 4-note was a better replacement. Got a used set from an eBay seller for about $100. Installation was not difficult - just ran one new relay which was triggered from the factory horn wire, and then ran a new power feed directly from the under-the-hood fuse panel to the relay and on to the horns. It's necessary to be a bit creative fabricating mounts from scrap metal, but I was able to reuse existing mounting locations for other equipment and didn't have to drill any new holes in the car's sheet metal. Should be easier in a larger vehicle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Grover Stuttertone, activated with my flash to pass switch, it will deliver a wayward pedestrian right back to the curb. It passes NYS inspection, it's on a separate switch. Small 12v 100psi compressor and 1 gal tank.
25 yrs on 3 vehicles, no problem in this part of NY.

Bob
🇺🇸
Bob, I know you installed that "a while ago" Any rough idea of cost and who made it? Would absolutely want this on a separate switch...and really like where that upfitter switch is.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I put in Viking train-horns (why screw around with dinky horns if you really NEED to get someones’ attention..??).

But I installed them in parallel with the OEM horns using a common automotive relay which I can activate on the highway… and when not activated (for in-town useage)…the factory OEM horns only will “blow”.

Hitting the road…I engage my trucks’ “tow-haul” and “trainhorns” switches…and help those little ol’ ladies across the crosswalk with Gusto!

(Yes, I got damn tired of little 4-wheelers pulling out only 100-feet in front of me while I’m traveling at hi-way speeds pulling a trailer. When I see them even LOOK like they’re thinking about pulling out…I give ‘em a BLAST and they Stop that stoopid stuff!)

(I use a cheap HF “Hot Dog” compressor powered by my onboard inverter…because I’m cheap and have a Ram with RamBoxes that my compressor lives-in…also available for airing up tires, toys, etc….. but you might consider a dedicated compressor designed for the task. I used 3/8” plastic air-brake line (NAPA) to run the air from the compressor in the back to the horns up-front.)

Mounted these behind my front bumper / front grille giving them a clear-view of the road ahead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-01-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Adding an Air Horn

Very bad idea, as outlined by others. Professional medium and heavy truck drivers all have air horns and wheel horns as explained. In addition to being illegal in some locations, CDL drivers are aware that an air horn can cause drivers to overreact and create a more dangerous situation. Combine that with road rage, and the fact that you require additional braking distance while towing are all factors why you don't hear commercial drivers activating their air horns routinely if ever, especially on your congested California highways.

Perhaps mature defensive driving is the better option.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
Bob, I know you installed that "a while ago" Any rough idea of cost and who made it? Would absolutely want this on a separate switch...and really like where that upfitter switch is.
I got the Grover second hand from the local Fire Department, they are quite expensive new, Ck ebay. This one is a good buy.

Our FTP switch is on the turn signal lever, pull up...and grin.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFire View Post
Very bad idea, as outlined by others. Professional medium and heavy truck drivers all have air horns and wheel horns as explained. In addition to being illegal in some locations, CDL drivers are aware that an air horn can cause drivers to overreact and create a more dangerous situation. Combine that with road rage, and the fact that you require additional braking distance while towing are all factors why you don't hear commercial drivers activating their air horns routinely if ever, especially on your congested California highways.

Perhaps mature defensive driving is the better option.
I suspect the vast majority of us take this approach. Defensive driving has more going for it than the opposite and largely, horns serve no purpose as evidenced by their infrequent use other than to vent frustration.

As the victim of road rage, I can attest to how an obnoxious horn only makes things worse. We are moving towards a generally armed society and its use could be fatal. In some parts of the world, the use of an airhorn will immediately elicit an assault rifle volley in your general direction especially in a situation cited earlier where a truck is trying to take the space immediately in front of you. Their drivers' argument is that they are ahead of you because they can drive faster and its your job to give way or accept the consequences.

Be careful out there.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Good luck. You’ll be ticketed here in NY. V&T law…
So, they ticket semi's with air horns?
Old 12-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
KYD added an air horn on the F-250. Used the overhead switch #2.

Scroll ahead to 21:50 for the horn.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
I suspect the vast majority of us take this approach. Defensive driving has more going for it than the opposite and largely, horns serve no purpose as evidenced by their infrequent use other than to vent frustration.

As the victim of road rage, I can attest to how an obnoxious horn only makes things worse. We are moving towards a generally armed society and its use could be fatal. In some parts of the world, the use of an airhorn will immediately elicit an assault rifle volley in your general direction especially in a situation cited earlier where a truck is trying to take the space immediately in front of you. Their drivers' argument is that they are ahead of you because they can drive faster and its your job to give way or accept the consequences.

Be careful out there.
Drivers of big giant pickups have a certain reputation. Is it earned? You be the judge from this thread. Clearly the world needs more aggressive, agitating behavior doesn’t it?,

If you actually read nys v&t law, it basically says law enforcement can cite anyone with a horn they deem as obnoxious.

I know someone who years ago who responded to aggressive behavior with additional aggressive behavior and he took a 45 in the chest Dead right…
Old 12-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #16
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Most Sprinter owners here probably know why you would want a louder horn on a Sprinter. It's the quietist little clown horn you ever heard, if someone was moving into you from the next lane and had their radio on and window up they wouldn't hear it, or they'd assume it was off in the distance.
I agree that defensive driving plays a big part but twice in my F-350 hard braking and horn were my only options, a 3rd time I braked as hard as I could and laid on the horn when someone in the dual left turn lanes decided to move over and never saw me, and the horn didn't deter them. They continued over and only my hard braking and hugging the curb prevented a sideswipe. And that was only at around 35 MPH. Your heavy truck feels like it has great stopping power but in an emergency it somehow doesn't always feel that way.

Maybe vehicle horns should be sized and toned by vehicle size and weight like ships horns.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
(OFF THREAD!)

My post wasn't meant to incite a riot!

I practice defensive driving...but sometimes it's just not enough! (Limited times...like I could have used this horn maybe twice in the last year). My goal is it to be the last option before an accident occurs ~ a "Hail Mary" if you will.

Just like someone speeding....there will always be "someone going faster"

So please focus on the topic....

(exiting soap box)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
As I noted in my post..fog headed pedestrians are my most common victims.
Before retiring the drive to work included bus routes...curb dancing to see if it was on the way was a common game they played.
Not to mention the J walkers.
Beepbeep 🤟

In NY

[URL="[URL="Article 9 Section 375(a) - Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh."

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-04-2022, 05:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
'air horns' are not generally illegal.

TRAIN-HORNS or anything unusually or unnecessarily loud, are by most all states DOT rules as they follow the federal standard rules.

If you buy a ' horn ' and the packaging does not say DOT APPROVED, it's probably too loud, and thus, illegal to use.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
There's a guy from somewhere around our neighborhood who has a train locomotive sounding horn on his truck. He occasionally blows it, it can be heard for miles. I think it's probably more confusing than useful to other motorists. Where's the train tracks? Where's the train?
Closed Thread