Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #181
Rivet Master
 
2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
They did not have the MichelinĎs in the size of my wheels so I got the Goodyear endurance tires. The ride back home was fine but the Safari seemed a little bouncy and not quite as stable. They set the pressure at 80 psi. Has anyone set the tire pressure lower and this make a difference in the ride? The factory is 2 1/2 hours from where we live and we were moving along fairly quickly. My wife agreed that the sweet spot for the MDX seems to be fourth gear at 4000 RPM on the highway. Good acceleration power at that RPM and no slow down on mild grades. That did run as at 73-75 mph and gas mileage was an abysmal 9 miles per gallon.
In a sense, the air carries the weight, not the tire. Check the load carrying capacity, and search for a tire pressure/weight chart online. You can probably dial the pressure back to 50 with no problem. Note that the tires on your car will have a max inflation pressure of 44 or 51 psi, but you still follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the door sticker or in the manual - usually in the 32 to 38 psi range, maybe a bit higher for heavy loads and higher speeds.

I looked at the gear ratios and torque. I can see why you like using 4th because you can climb decent highway grades without downshifting, and Honda engines love to rev, so I don't think you're doing any harm; however, there should be enough torque left over in 5th at about 65-70 mph to climb moderate grades up to a bit more than 1% without a downshift. This would drop the revs to a peaceful 2400-2600, and fuel economy should rise dramatically. I should think that 14 mpg will be easy, with light winds.

FWIW, I towed with a manual transmission Volvo S60 for a number of years; 3300 rpm in 4th at 65, 15-16 mpg. The car is still around with about 180,000 miles on it, and the engine is fine.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #182
Rivet Master
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpaquette View Post
How about in lieu of people conjecturing what they think TVs will do in this thread, we stick to what our TVs do and perhaps the stories behind why we chose our TVs? The whole debate of pickup truck is overkill vs. any car can tow with the right hitch setup has pretty well played itself out. What I appreciate most in this forum is real world experience and I use the data points of all of you as well as my own experience as the input to my decisions and actions.

++++++++++1!


Well said.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #183
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,152
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Thanks Bob. I guess we were ready to get home. Iíll try 70psi. I put the question out to Andrew T. as well. I donít have a TPMS yet. How much are they? Any recommendations?
This is the one I chose. Nice size monitor, good features at a fair price. It usually picks up the signal within a couple min at most. The monitor has very good charge life, no cables messing up the dash.
SFSG

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
Tahawus

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #184
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
20 mph over the Ohio towing speed limit and 1000 lbs over the vehicle tow rating @ sustained 4000 RPM.
Yikes.
Most places in Ohio are 70mph
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16Ē tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #185
Rivet Master
 
SteveNdebbie's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
In a sense, the air carries the weight, not the tire. Check the load carrying capacity, and search for a tire pressure/weight chart online. You can probably dial the pressure back to 50 with no problem. Note that the tires on your car will have a max inflation pressure of 44 or 51 psi, but you still follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the door sticker or in the manual - usually in the 32 to 38 psi range, maybe a bit higher for heavy loads and higher speeds.



I looked at the gear ratios and torque. I can see why you like using 4th because you can climb decent highway grades without downshifting, and Honda engines love to rev, so I don't think you're doing any harm; however, there should be enough torque left over in 5th at about 65-70 mph to climb moderate grades up to a bit more than 1% without a downshift. This would drop the revs to a peaceful 2400-2600, and fuel economy should rise dramatically. I should think that 14 mpg will be easy, with light winds.



FWIW, I towed with a manual transmission Volvo S60 for a number of years; 3300 rpm in 4th at 65, 15-16 mpg. The car is still around with about 180,000 miles on it, and the engine is fine.


Thanks for the advise. I will check a tire pressure/weight chart and see about setting the psi back for the Safari tires. Originally I had our MDX tires at 32 psi. The max is 50 psi. Can Am had them set for 40 psi. and that does seem to give a better road feel. If the MDX tires warm up and psi goes to 45 it does feel like too much. The MDX gives mer our tire pressure and I monitor that.

On or trip west we plan to slow it down to around 60 mph since we will be on byways more than highways. I didnít realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks? So I will need to drop back my speed. Better mileage, more enjoyment. I did tow at the same speed in 5th gear for comparison but the mileage actually worsened . I figured with lower rpmís it would improve.
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #186
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Thanks for the advise. I will check a tire pressure/weight chart and see about setting the psi back for the Safari tires. Originally I had our MDX tires at 32 psi. The max is 50 psi. Can Am had them set for 40 psi. and that does seem to give a better road feel. If the MDX tires warm up and psi goes to 45 it does feel like too much. The MDX gives mer our tire pressure and I monitor that.

On or trip west we plan to slow it down to around 60 mph since we will be on byways more than highways. I didnít realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks? So I will need to drop back my speed. Better mileage, more enjoyment. I did tow at the same speed in 5th gear for comparison but the mileage actually worsened . I figured with lower rpmís it would improve.
Your efficacy is reduced in 5th gear because you are lugging the engine. Itís like going up a big hill in top gear- the fuel is being consumed, but no increase in speed. It is very hard on your engine.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 AM   #187
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most places in Ohio are 70mph
But not for towing heavier rigs. Many States have restricted towing speed limits.
Itís only a problem if you get a ticket...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 AM   #188
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
I didn’t realize that Ohio has a law that for TV/TT combos the speed limit is 55 if you are over 8000 lbs. Must not apply to semi trucks?
From AAA:


55 mph is the maximum speed for any vehicle or vehicle combination that weighs over 8,000 lbs.








It's certainly not well-publicized.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #189
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,265
Acura MDX towing

Running 75 when towing with any vehicle will only get you to gas stations faster. I think you will find 65 gets you under 3000 RPM and 12+ mpg.

40 - 45 PSI is plenty in the Endurance tires with a 25 Safari.

Andy
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #190
Rivet Master
 
SteveNdebbie's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Running 75 when towing with any vehicle will only get you to gas stations faster. I think you will find 65 gets you under 3000 RPM and 12+ mpg.

40 - 45 PSI is plenty in the Endurance tires with a 25 Safari.

Andy


Iíll try slower and save paddle shifting for steeper grades. I did get 12-13 mpg on route 33 in WV and VA; we definitely slowed it down there.
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #191
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Only if you have autonomous collision avoidance technology. I don't think they have that in any stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks yet.
My F-250 has autonomous collision avoidance system, its called the "Alert Driver" .
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #192
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My F-250 has autonomous collision avoidance system, its called the "Alert Driver" .
Being an alert driver is certainly a good step in collision avoidance, however, that does not really meet the definition of autonomous.
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #193
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Sorry, but a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. Because of the added weight of the truck vs the Cadillac it will actually increase the stopping distance and also a truck has less stability creating a greater risk for a loss-of-control rollover in a similar circumstance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Only if you have autonomous collision avoidance technology. I don't think they have that in any stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks yet.
You need to re-read your intitial post. It clearly states a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. After being proven incorrect in your assertion, you are trying to change what you posted.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #194
Rivet Master
 
SteveNdebbie's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Running 75 when towing with any vehicle will only get you to gas stations faster. I think you will find 65 gets you under 3000 RPM and 12+ mpg.

40 - 45 PSI is plenty in the Endurance tires with a 25 Safari.

Andy


Looking at a tire pressure chart for double axel looks like I can take the weight of the trailer divided by 4 although with the Hensley hitch the MDX takes on some weight. Is that why it is better to put the TV tire pressure higher?

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #195
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My F-250 has autonomous collision avoidance system, its called the "Alert Driver" .
My new truck has the same feature!
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #196
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,830
PU Trucks Don't Stop In Shorter Distance Than SUV

I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack by @overlander63, but it appears that the arguments have gone from merely being obtuse to trolling and they need rebuttal to help stop the spread of FUD with respect to SUVs as tow vehicles.

I also apologize to you, @overlander63, and everyone else if my post wasn't written more explicitly so that one actually wouldn't have to read the quoted post to be able grasp the inference.

Please, @overlander63, read the posts quoted below and you will clearly see that I quoted @tojimmiller and my post was referring to his wife's GMC 3/4 ton truck, not tractor-trailers (or any vehicle with autonomous collision avoidance systems.)

I stand to be corrected if you are able to show any relevant reports that show that a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck can out stop a Cadillac Escalade? One report shows that a 2008 Escalade will stop from 60 mph in 142 feet, whereas a Chevrolet 3.4 Ton truck will take 146.4 ft empty and 150.1 ft loaded. (Ford F250 and Ram are unfortunately even a longer stopping distance.) Clearly the "Big 3" pickup trucks will not stop in a shorter distance than an a Cadillac SUV.

Furthermore, the video (a Volvo tractor-trailer with autonomous collision avoidance) that you posted in rebuttal does not show a decreased stopping distance of a truck vs a car or SUV, but only that an autonomous collision avoidance system works to avoid a low speed (60 km/h) collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojimmiller View Post
... she couldnít stop �� in time. Now she drivers a GMC 3/4 ton truck and might go to a 1 ton in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Sorry, but a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. Because of the added weight of the truck vs the Cadillac it will actually increase the stopping distance and also a truck has less stability creating a greater risk for a loss-of-control rollover in a similar circumstance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You need to re-read your intitial post. It clearly states a large truck is not going to decrease your stopping distance. After being proven incorrect in your assertion, you are trying to change what you posted.
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #197
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack by @overlander63, but it appears that the arguments have gone from merely being obtuse to trolling and they need rebuttal to help stop the spread of FUD with respect to SUVs as tow vehicles.

I also apologize to you, @overlander63, and everyone else if my post wasn't written more explicitly so that one actually wouldn't have to read the quoted post to be able grasp the inference.

Please, @overlander63, read the posts quoted below and you will clearly see that I quoted @tojimmiller and my post was referring to his wife's GMC 3/4 ton truck, not tractor-trailers (or any vehicle with autonomous collision avoidance systems.)

I stand to be corrected if you are able to show any relevant reports that show that a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck can out stop a Cadillac Escalade? One report shows that a 2008 Escalade will stop from 60 mph in 142 feet, whereas a Chevrolet 3.4 Ton truck will take 146.4 ft empty and 150.1 ft loaded. (Ford F250 and Ram are unfortunately even a longer stopping distance.) Clearly the "Big 3" pickup trucks will not stop in a shorter distance than an a Cadillac SUV.

Furthermore, the video (a Volvo tractor-trailer with autonomous collision avoidance) that you posted in rebuttal does not show a decreased stopping distance of a truck vs a car or SUV, but only that an autonomous collision avoidance system works to avoid a low speed (60 km/h) collision.

Is the Escalade stopping distance with or without a load on the hitch?
Interesting that the Chevy 3/4 ton stopping distance only increased 3.7 ft with a load.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #198
2 Rivet Member
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Amherst , New Hampshire
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I stand to be corrected if you are able to show any relevant reports that show that a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pickup truck can out stop a Cadillac Escalade? One report shows that a 2008 Escalade will stop from 60 mph in 142 feet, whereas a Chevrolet 3.4 Ton truck will take 146.4 ft empty and 150.1 ft loaded. (Ford F250 and Ram are unfortunately even a longer stopping distance.) Clearly the "Big 3" pickup trucks will not stop in a shorter distance than an a Cadillac SUV.
What's missing in these test numbers is an airstream behind the vehicles. I wonder what the stopping distances would be. My Miata with summer tires stops much shorter than my truck (around 125 feet from tests on all seasons), but I assume if I hitched up the airstream that would not continue to hold true. Likewise things could change between the Escalade and Chevy 3/4 ton when towing.
__________________
2006 Safari 23 LE
Lgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 23
Adventure.AS - I’ve read your posts in various threads regarding the setups you provide, and the responses to your recommendations. I can see that you are truly passionate about your craft and believe in what you are doing. I also recognize that you may be the only organization who’ll outfit a car/suv like this - which puts you into a unique situation of increased scrutiny. If I may, I’d Like to offer a suggestion.

I don’t believe that quick rebuttals on forum posts will sway the masses to your view with much success. Actual data and real-world experience from your setups would go a long way towards dispelling FUD around your product. For instance, you test each towing upgrade against over 40 specifications, and have for years. Why not provide that data on your website so we can review the parameters you utilize against specific vehicle performance? Or borrow the “TFL Truck” YouTube format where they do standardized, read-world towing tests on camera, deomstrating the basic towing experience and expectations: 0-60 time, stopping ability, towing at speed flat, towing up a 7% grade, towing down a 7% grade, engine/transmission/brake temperature, etc. TFL’s approach isn’t aggressively scientific - yet effectively provides baseline expectations for particular a setup.

Either of these approaches (or ideally, both) would present fertile ground for a reasonable, intelligent discussion of your towing solutions.
gsp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #200
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
20 mph over the Ohio towing speed limit and 1000 lbs over the vehicle tow rating @ sustained 4000 RPM.
Yikes.
Speed limit 70 most places in Ohio.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acura MDX as a tow vehicle BlakeNelson Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 12 04-03-2016 10:34 AM
2012 Acura MDX as TV mark3rs Tow Vehicles 8 12-19-2012 12:43 AM
2007 acura mdx and towing darinr Tow Vehicles 1 06-13-2009 01:57 PM
Acura commercial with an Airstream ZoominC6 Airstream "In the News" 4 06-17-2006 10:12 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.