Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Active Fuel Management Failure

Many Silverado trucks since 2004 use “Active Fuel Management”, a system where half of the eight cylinders are deactivated under low load conditions.

The system does this by keeping the valves closed on four cylinders while also cutting their fuel.

The valves are kept closed when the special lifters for the affected cylinders are instructed to collapse by the ECU.

What happens when a lifter stays collapsed?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yyz1McdNJDWA5Dim2

The truck drops a cylinder.

Anyway, to change the lifters on an LS motor the cylinder heads have to come off.

Those who are bold can do the job for about $500 in parts. It took me about 14 hours shop time to complete the repair.... My guess is that a dealer would charge about what? $3,000 for this repair?

This is the first fail from my 08 Silverado, although it did still run on seven cylinders...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QoVuXGdWzNgqAYml1

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I passed on replying to the earlier thread where you posted a pic of your "new" TV. Was going to gig you about bad lighting to hide that it was a GM.

My days of wanting to do this work are past. Still, the pleasure of accomplishment is real. And, were I retired, I sure wouldn't care about man-hours. Just hours per beer. I could ignore the backaches, then.

Glad you've got the shop and tools to do it!

And thank the Great Googly-Moogly those weren't big block heads from the old days.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I passed on replying to the earlier thread where you posted a pic of your "new" TV. Was going to gig you about bad lighting to hide that it was a GM.

My days of wanting to do this work are past. Still, the pleasure of accomplishment is real. And, were I retired, I sure wouldn't care about man-hours. Just hours per beer. I could ignore the backaches, then.

And thank the Great Googly-Moogly those weren't big block heads from the old days.

The red truck in the earlier photo has about 230,000 miles on it, but the truck I replaced the lifters in has only 146,000 miles. The red truck three years older, is my “new” TV, the black one is my “old” TV.

The active fuel management system is kind of a bad deal in my book, an add on for the sake of CAFE standards that introduced unreliability to a very reliable and bulletproof series of engines.

I think that the cause of the lifter failure was six loose bolts that hold the cast valley cover on the engine.

I used to be a big block Chevy affectionate, but I am forced to admit that the LS series of engines has them outclassed....

Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Is this like the diesel engine in the 1970s Cadillac?.... It's a v8, now it's a v4, oh no it's stuck as a smoky v4!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Had to dump my 09 gmc due to that very system. When it dropped cylinders, then it shifted horribly. Plus it started blowing oil past the valves that controlled the cylinder drop, “eating” oil...... I did like that truck though .....
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Is this like the diesel engine in the 1970s Cadillac?.... It's a v8, now it's a v4, oh no it's stuck as a smoky v4!
That wasn't a diesel. L62 gas.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Me too

Quote:
... My days of wanting to do this work are past. Still, the pleasure of accomplishment is real...
Although I have the shop space & tools to do automotive work, my preference is to let the Dealer do more of it to save my back. So when the AC in my son's Malibu crapped out, I told him to take it to the Chevy Dealer as it appeared to be a bad compressor. I figured the repair would be $600 - $1200.

The quote was $1800 for a new compressor & strainer. And, they were out of parts - it probably would not be ready till the next week. I told my son to bring it home.

For just under $500, I installed a new OEM compressor & strainer in under three hours. To save $1300, I decided I could hurt a little.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am not attempting to hijack this thread, but since the OP's truck is the same vintage as my Ford F-250, I thought I would chime in. I just dropped my truck off at the Ford dealer for a full "physical". My 2005 TV has 53k miles on it. I am the original owner and just recently purchased a new 28 foot International. No issues with power or sway or weight carrying capacity. My concern is a 12 year old truck that has been more or less sitting has great potential for things to go wrong. So far I have had the lower turbo boot come off (our first trip) and rupture (our last trip). I was able to take care of the repair myself. I had the entire oil system (minus the oil pump) replaced because of an internal leak that was causing the injectors not to operate properly. My brakes got pretty hot and were bouncing (I think my calipers are hanging up) on the Blue Ridge Parkway (without the trailer behind me). Granted it's a demanding drive, but something isn't right. My point here is if you have an older TV, it would be wise to have a thorough inspection done of the brakes, transmission, suspension, hoses, belts, turbo etc. It is no fun broken down on a trip. I know this is all common sense, but I put off a couple of things that bit me on my last trip.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
With an aftermarket Computer programmer or at a local repair shop they can eliminate the active fuel management system. A friend has a 2012 GMC 1500 and has the ECU programmed to disable the active fuel management when in tow/haul mode.
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
You're conflating 2 bad late 70s/early 80s engines. The 350 diesel debacle and Cadillac's "V8-6-4" gasoline displacement-on-demand disaster.

They were bad for different reasons... the gas job was just too early for computer technology to keep up, it couldn't make good enough decisions fast enough to be running the right number of cylinders (and produced way less power with all 8 running than several much-smaller GM engines do today.)

The 350 diesel was just an ill-advised attempt to make one of the best gasoline engines GM ever made into a diesel on the cheap.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I am not attempting to hijack this thread, but since the OP's truck is the same vintage as my Ford F-250, I thought I would chime in. I just dropped my truck off at the Ford dealer for a full "physical". My 2005 TV has 53k miles on it. I am the original owner and just recently purchased a new 28 foot International. No issues with power or sway or weight carrying capacity. My concern is a 12 year old truck that has been more or less sitting has great potential for things to go wrong. So far I have had the lower turbo boot come off (our first trip) and rupture (our last trip). I was able to take care of the repair myself. I had the entire oil system (minus the oil pump) replaced because of an internal leak that was causing the injectors not to operate properly. My brakes got pretty hot and were bouncing (I think my calipers are hanging up) on the Blue Ridge Parkway (without the trailer behind me). Granted it's a demanding drive, but something isn't right. My point here is if you have an older TV, it would be wise to have a thorough inspection done of the brakes, transmission, suspension, hoses, belts, turbo etc. It is no fun broken down on a trip. I know this is all common sense, but I put off a couple of things that bit me on my last trip.

I just look mine over really well before every trip and try to address any issues that I think might be going on. The 08 I posted on originally has been trouble free til now, only requiring routine maintenance, tires, brakes, batteries, etc.

Frankly, in my opinion, the very low mileage of your truck would inspire confidence if it was mine. There are a few things that are prone to age problems, belts, hoses, etc, but most things that break are mileage related and luck of the draw.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Although I have the shop space & tools to do automotive work, my preference is to let the Dealer do more of it to save my back. So when the AC in my son's Malibu crapped out, I told him to take it to the Chevy Dealer as it appeared to be a bad compressor. I figured the repair would be $600 - $1200.

The quote was $1800 for a new compressor & strainer. And, they were out of parts - it probably would not be ready till the next week. I told my son to bring it home.

For just under $500, I installed a new OEM compressor & strainer in under three hours. To save $1300, I decided I could hurt a little.

Tom

The newer cars can be a challenge to work on, but are doable if a person makes up his mind to just go ahead and take all of the parts in the way off that are in the way from the get go. A lift helps a lot too. Low slung air conditioner compressors can be a real challenge to change without a lift.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

My gasoline GM trucks have proven to be very reliable over the years. I keep most everything I buy for a long time, fixing them so long as I think it makes economic sense.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
Had to dump my 09 gmc due to that very system. When it dropped cylinders, then it shifted horribly. Plus it started blowing oil past the valves that controlled the cylinder drop, “eating” oil...... I did like that truck though .....

I read up on Active Fuel Management problems and fixes before tackling this project. It is my understanding that it is theorized that the oil consumption issues are caused when oil released from the lifters when in four cylinder mode and is sprayed into the crankcase coating the cylinders.

It is further theorized that this oil clogs up the oil control rings, causing constant oil consumption.

It is claimed that the engines tend to clean up over time after the system is disabled, and the oil consumption problems will wain and often even reverse entirely.

I didn’t have oil consumption issues, but my driving style didn’t allow the feature to come into play much, because I cant drive 55...

I had intended to remove all of the hardware and software and eliminate the whole thing, but after I had everything apart I changed my mind and went back stock.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I had this same issue on my 08 6L in the spring of 2015 while towing back from a 4 month down south trip. I stopped in at 2 US GM dealers on the way home and neither wanted to look at it.
Turns out that was lucky for me as when I got home and went back to my GM dealer who had previously done all my regular oil changes and service maintenance. It was suggested that I contact GM for help.
That paid off as they ponied up for half the bill and extended my warranty on the engine.
Still driving and towing and loving the truck.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I had this same issue on my 08 6L in the spring of 2015 while towing back from a 4 month down south trip. I stopped in at 2 US GM dealers on the way home and neither wanted to look at it.
Turns out that was lucky for me as when I got home and went back to my GM dealer who had previously done all my regular oil changes and service maintenance. It was suggested that I contact GM for help.
That paid off as they ponied up for half the bill and extended my warranty on the engine.
Still driving and towing and loving the truck.

A failed lifter is not a major problem, the fact that the heads have to come off an LS engine to replace a failed lifter is kind of a big deal though...

Not trying to be pushy of wanting to ask you something you don’t want to make public, but I am curious about how much GM charges for this repair.....

Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
A failed lifter is not a major problem, the fact that the heads have to come off an LS engine to replace a failed lifter is kind of a big deal though...

Not trying to be pushy of wanting to ask you something you don’t want to make public, but I am curious about how much GM charges for this repair.....

FWIW, I think my issue was caused by the six forward most bolts coming loose on the valley cover.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Glad you were able to get your truck fixed. I have heard that other automakers have had trouble with the cylinder deactivation causing them to eat oil. Might be a good idea to seek out the programer/tuner to deactivate this "feature".
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I could pull the invoice but I remember something being said about an issue with a filter? in the head? Hard to say exactly what the cost was because there were other issues taken care of in the process and also some preventative maintenance done. I believe my total was about $2200 which at the time was about $2000 US.
Needless to say I was relieved that they paid half. I think they knew about the issue.
Haven't had any issues since.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Glad you were able to get your truck fixed. I have heard that other automakers have had trouble with the cylinder deactivation causing them to eat oil. Might be a good idea to seek out the programer/tuner to deactivate this "feature".

I never did have a problem with oil consumption, I was driving to work one day and left the house with eight cylinders and arrived 20 miles later with seven cylinders.

I went ahead and drove the truck for a few weeks on seven until I finished fixing my “new” truck...