Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
6.2L gas with 10 speed auto

apologies if there is a thread with this detail but I can only find bits and pieces of info. I have an F-150 with the 5.0L V8/3.55 rear end, owing a new to me 25' flying cloud. Came through the I-90 route from Montana to Wisconsin, lots of elevation changes, and the 5.0 was screaming at me the whole ride home. It has plenty of power, no dispute, but the frequency of the downshifting and the high RPM is very annoying, makes the experience very annoying.

I was hoping to get feedback from any forum members that have the 6.2L gas with 10 speed auto (4.30 rear end). Does that combination significantly reduce the downshifting and high RPM screams out of the gas V8 in steep grades ? I was all set to get a bigger truck for payload and was thinking gas, until I had my own personal experience in the western hills of Montana/Dakotas .. now I am re-thinking my options and am inclined to get the power stroke diesel.

If you have the 6.2L gas with 10 speed auto, please share your observations regarding performance on moderate to steep grades. The consistent need to downshift really wears on my nerves after a short time.

Thanks in advance
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
The fords downshifting has a mind of its own. I donít care for it so by not using the tow haul the downshifting is better. Thereís a manual shift that can be of help. The 10 speed is great but it also shifts more than I want it to so I donít use the tow haul. The ford 7.3 gas did handle some mountain driving a few weeks ago. I would give a thumbs up on the 10 speed.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I can relate to your issue, both as a rookie AS owner (25 ft FC) and as a former owner of a great 1/2 ton Tundra with a towing package.
The loaded FC and loaded truck bed, while still under the rated towing capacity of the Tundra, put a strain on the pickup in the mountains of NC, so as we planned a CO trip and anticipated other mountainous journeys, I knew that a better equipped 3/4 ton truck would lower my doubts about potential trouble.
I traded for a Ram 2500 Cummins and the difference is night and day, with that platform. Gone are the persistent questions about mountain passes and steep grades. That alone, the safety factor notwithstanding, is enough to encourage you to move up in tow capacity. You won’t be sorry after you hitch up the first time.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
The fords downshifting has a mind of its own. I donít care for it so by not using the tow haul the downshifting is better. Thereís a manual shift that can be of help. The 10 speed is great but it also shifts more than I want it to so I donít use the tow haul. The ford 7.3 gas did handle some mountain driving a few weeks ago. I would give a thumbs up on the 10 speed.
With some manufacturers, there are some driver select modes where you can select the gear you want and the transmission will stay there. If you stop and start again, the selector would go back to computer controlled but at least you can pick a gear and go up a hill without all the gear hunting. I am sure that the big 3 have something like that. In the tiny truck category, Honda has introduced that with their new 9 speed auto.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I was using tow/haul mode, thanks for reminding me of that impact. I too am a rookie towing the Airstream, so I don't have any other perspective than my initial tow experience, and it was poor at best. Not because of the Airstream ... its all about the tow vehicle, I am certain of that. The high RPM whine out of the gas V8 is as much a nuisance as the downshifting at any grade it encountered. I spent a substantial amount of time in 4th gear on the 1300 mile ride, and I was not expecting that. I think the power stroke diesel is in my future ...
Old 07-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
I have a 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2 L pulling a 2017 FC23FB.... have made three trips through the mountains in the summer from KC to Yellowstone NP.... in tow haul mode it has worked great with respect to travel and downshifting with 10-speed. About a 20 to 25% improvement in mpg. Giving me extra range on my fuel capacity. My only comparison is our 2010 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L..... now with the extra horsepower/torque/fuel cap....Just a totally different driving experience. I am not sure how it would do with the larger AS?
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jftompkins View Post
I have a 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2 L pulling a 2017 FC23FB.... have made three trips through the mountains in the summer from KC to Yellowstone NP.... in tow haul mode it has worked great with respect to travel and downshifting with 10-speed. About a 20 to 25% improvement in mpg. Giving me extra range on my fuel capacity. My only comparison is our 2010 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L..... now with the extra horsepower/torque/fuel cap....Just a totally different driving experience. I am not sure how it would do with the larger AS?
Thanks for those details, they are leading me to some followup questions, I hope you don't mind. Your comparison is in the GM world, mine is Ford, let's call them approx equal for my sake. I don't want to debate who is better, both are good (enough).

Can you share your towing MPG with the 5.3 and also with the 6.2 ? I really want to stay with a gas engine if I can, it will NEVER be the towing experience you get with diesel, but my initial experience was just awful, relative to what I expected. My hope was the 10 speed auto would help me in MPG, because I currently have the 6 speed and my MPG was 10 at best, more consistently in the 8-9 range, and that means my fuel range is significantly lower than I expected. Ford offered a 38 gal tank in my 2016 and I have that, but when I move up to a 250/350 today, they only offer a 34 gal tank.

Can you also share your RPM range when you had to contend with moderate grades ? My experience was 3,000 RPM and higher ... lots of engine whine up in that range, and I was in that range more than 50% of my driving time when NOT on flat land .... on flat land it was fine.

I really appreciate your first hand experience ... yours is as close to my scenario as I have seen in any of the posts I have seen up to this point. Only real delta is GM vs Ford ......

Thanks !!!
Old 07-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't have a Ford 6.2/10 speed, but do have a 6.2/6 sp with 4.30 gears and pull a 25 ft AS. I have no complaints with how it performs...FWIW, I have a long bed. It holds 48 gallons of gas.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Thanks for those details, they are leading me to some followup questions, I hope you don't mind. Your comparison is in the GM world, mine is Ford, let's call them approx equal for my sake. I don't want to debate who is better, both are good (enough).

Can you share your towing MPG with the 5.3 and also with the 6.2 ? I really want to stay with a gas engine if I can, it will NEVER be the towing experience you get with diesel, but my initial experience was just awful, relative to what I expected. My hope was the 10 speed auto would help me in MPG, because I currently have the 6 speed and my MPG was 10 at best, more consistently in the 8-9 range, and that means my fuel range is significantly lower than I expected. Ford offered a 38 gal tank in my 2016 and I have that, but when I move up to a 250/350 today, they only offer a 34 gal tank.

Can you also share your RPM range when you had to contend with moderate grades ? My experience was 3,000 RPM and higher ... lots of engine whine up in that range, and I was in that range more than 50% of my driving time when NOT on flat land .... on flat land it was fine.

I really appreciate your first hand experience ... yours is as close to my scenario as I have seen in any of the posts I have seen up to this point. Only real delta is GM vs Ford ......

Thanks !!!

I went from about 9.2 (2010 Tahoe 5.3) to 12.5 (2018 Tahoe 6.2) mpg which essentially increased my range as the biggest value ....this is travel to and from the mountains KS to WY summer (AC) travel. I canít be specific on moderate grade v rpm..... but besides the 420 hp/460 ft-lb torque and much smoother downshifting in mountains (previously jumped about 900 rpm per gear shift with 6 gears).... Didnít consider diesel - as I didnít need to low end torque for this size trailer, wanted more fuel access points, and the SUV fits other needs for us and in my garage too. The FC23FB about 6000 GVWR w/2 axles. I think Ford and GM developed the 10 speed together....(am not a truck guru so am sure there are some experts that can correct/clarify this). All that being said - the 25 is a different animal.
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote