Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
i sort of have lost count but i do believe my F350 is PU #9 or 10. i have had ONE 2wd PU and yes, i got stuck on wet grass. but the most hair raising was backing down a boat ramp in January, chained up with studded tires, launching the boat without difficulty and pulling back up the ramp of ice. when i went to retrieve the boat, i sat and broke the rear end loose. getting the boat out of the water required some magical thinking on my part.

story #2. Tundra as the PU, new way bigger boat, slimy boat ramp at low tide. in 2wd drive, it sat and spun. shifted into 4wd and managed to get off the ramp. something about lack of low end torque and the gearing on the Tundra are not good.

so, 4wd on every truck save that one. this past week, we pulled into a unique campground on Sammamish lake. the owner led us to the spot he wanted us in with his golf cart. raining cats and dogs and had been for a week. parked the trailer, no issues. he pointed to a spot behind the trailer and told me to park the truck there. ok, i said but first i took a look. put the truck in 4wd and parked. next morning, puddles along side the truck as well as underneath, all 4 tires were floating on the wet grass surface. put her in reverse and slowly backed out without spinning a wheel.

bottom line for me, there are lots of variables involved to where we choose to camp, best to have the truck as capable as possible.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
There one other reason, if you ever have to sell it you will have a tough time giving away a 2wd truck...

I needed 4wd to bring my airstream home as it was located up a dirt road and it had been raining the day before I picked it up. Never would have made it in a 2wd.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
Get the 4X4, it's worth it! Like a previous post, if you don't get it and get stuck...

Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel, 25' Jack Bauer edition AS
sparkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
We went from a 4 wheel drive to a 2 wheel. We haven't had any problems since getting this truck.
Albeit we don't boon dock. We do have a limited slip rear end.
We didn't like the 4 wheel drive because of the added height getting in and out of the truck. It wasn't a lot but still very noticeable. We are pleased and have no regrets in out choice of a tow vehicle.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
True point as if you order a 4WD without either you actually have a 2WD truck. That being said there are pros and cons to both.

A limited slip is a have and forget item as it will automatically engage and disengage should wheel slip occur. The con is that at speed on ice going up a slight incline the axle may lock up and the truck will start to swerve to one side or the other. It does take a gentle and smart approach to the gas pedal on very slippery conditions at speeds with a limited slip. They have also been manufactured for years, are pretty bulletproof and will disengage to allow for turns without damaging gears.

A locker takes a lot more thinking about when to engage or not to engage as once locked the rear axle will not tolerant any speed difference between the two wheels on that axle without possibly damaging the pumpkin gears. A locker is also a lot more expensive $1,500 CDN versus $400.00 CDN for the Ford version. Also they will be more to maintain as they do have, in the Ford case an electrical motor actuator. ARB makes beautiful lockers that are air actuated.

I personally love lockers and had them on my Toyota Landcruiser but they are more applicable IMHO to true off road situations and rely on the user being smart about how to use them.

Cheers
Tony
This is soooo not true. A G80 Eaton locker is $400, and unlocks (and won't lock ) above 20 mph. And is totally automatic....no switches...just locks when there is a 100rpm difference between right and left rear wheel. They are idiot proof and a true locker, not a LS.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This is soooo not true. A G80 Eaton locker is $400, and unlocks (and won't lock ) above 20 mph. And is totally automatic....no switches...just locks when there is a 100rpm difference between right and left rear wheel. They are idiot proof and a true locker, not a LS.
Exactly what I tried to say back in post#29. Limited slip,AKA limited grip. Better to have a 2whl drive with G80.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Exactly what I tried to say back in post#29. Limited slip,AKA limited grip. Better to have a 2whl drive with G80.

George
Yup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote