Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
I wish I had gone 350 also however we can spring to meet that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Twin View Post
My only regret w our F250 diesel is we didn’t get the F350 SRW. The tongue weight of the 25FB is really high so we’re near the limits. The 4x4 diesel eats up too much payload in the 3/4 ton.

A 2wd 3/4 ton gasser has more payload so that would be OK , but I would never go away from diesel, so next truck will either be 1 ton diesel, or electric.

Never even considered a half ton.

BTW I might feel differently about a 1/2 ton if I lived somewhere flat. Our driveway is a 22% grade and the roads nearby are similarly mountainous. Factory exhaust brake is so great.

Also, our 3/4 ton is NOT a daily driver. It has its function at which it is excellent.

Good luck and enjoy.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been running 3/4 ton DMaxs for 20 years and 230,000 miles. Next truck will be a one ton with full air-ride for the added payload and no bounce cushion for the passengers and trailer.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

One thing more w/350 in Illinois lic. plates $158.00 safety lane every 6 mos. 1500 and 2500 plates $108.00 no safety lane.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
What this forum needs is another ½ ton -vs- ¾ ton thread… but seriously… I’ve read a LOT (maybe too much) about how, and why, folks love their 250/2500 TV’s after moving up from a 150/1500. However, in all the reading, I’ve not come across anyone who regretted the move.

So, here is my question: Does anyone regret the move? If so, why?
Yes!
I purchased a new Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 engine I disliked it so much that I traded it in with very few miles on it. It was not set up correctly for towing (wrong gear ratio) even though it had a towing package, so that it had difficulty towing my less than 6000 lb trailer in the mountains. I traded it for a Chevy 1500 when the 2500 had very few miles one it.

I've also towed my 34' with a family member's Chevy 2500 with the diesel. That was a very good/pleasant experience!!!

In 2013 I ordered the truck I am driving now, a 2014 Chevy 1500 LTZ with the max trailering package. It is the best tow vehicle I've ever owned (45 years of towing travel trailers with several brands of TVs) This 1500 tows my 25' anywhere, and it does a pretty good job towing my 34', but with payload limitations.

My thoughts> If two trucks have a similar engine, a similar transmission, and a similar gear ratio, but they weigh a ton difference, which one of the two will pull a load better, the heavier or lighter one? Yes, there is the payload issue/difference, but this is not the point I'm making.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
3/4 'ton' what?
Our 2500 is no longer being made.
I can't speak for P/U's, but no regrets here.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
And why is that? I will never understand why GM stopped making a 3/4 ton Suburban. Wish they would do a survey. I get that it would probably be $80k but I think there would be demand. I saw a very nice, very low mileage 7.4L 4x4 3/4 ton Suburban on eBay about a year ago and really kind of wish I had bought it and then sold my K2500 454 p/u. Next closest thing will be a K2500/K3500 with shell so maybe they figure that is close enough?
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
MY F350 Diesel 4x4 is Dangerous

I have been towing several years with a 2016 F350 Diesel. Bought it new. It came with Michelin LTX tires and a 2 1/2 inch, not the easier to lift a 2 inch shanked hitch system. The spare was an aluminum wheel and the tire matches the others. You know something is WRONG when that happens.

Once my F350 was attached to the 25 foot International I knew owning this truck was a Death Wish. No human BEAN should be able to purchase one off the dealer's lot. Trained professionals, only. Look at my photo. Do I look like your neighbor? Well... maybe.

Worse. Towing a 27 foot had no restraints on power and one must be cautious that if the speed limit is 55mph... be careful. If Speed Kills... get rid of the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup before you exceed your ability to think. Speed slows down the thinking process. Trust me... all I can think about now... is passing traffic going 52mph on a 75mph highway. Poor judgment, again.

Driving up Mountain Passes at a comfortable speed and slowing down to go down the pass... is going to get you, sooner or later. Do you have Life Insurance?

Safety out the door... or your passenger with wide open eyes and they are hanging onto the dash board may be out the door at the next service station.

Those days with the Tundra sitting down in the rear made it easier to load cargo in and out, when attached to either trailer. I miss those days. Now I have to lift and sit everything on the tailgate... Ford provides a ladder that pulls out of the tail gate. There is RISK using it if you are afraid of height.

There is no Speed Limitation that restricts your speed with or without a trailer attached. Some may forget they have a 34 foot Airstream in tow and get pulled over by a Highway Patrol as you... LOOKED Guilty.

All of you with your Half Tons, your mothers SUV... or go carts... just leave this Beast alone. It is made in Hell and you will drive like the Devil. It is embarrassing.

My blood pressure was barely indicating I was alive when towing. Pulse nearly non existent... or my wife says. Anyone who is safely towing with a Half Ton Tinker Toy or a Truck... just smile and know... you heard all of this on the Airforums.

Crazy people out there. Oh... I am sitting in my F350, in the garage listening to the radio and text messaging this warning.

DO NOT STEP INTO A 3/4 or 1 Ton Pickup. You will end up like me.

The Sales person, a woman by the way, offered me a pillow so I could spend the night so no Crazy Person would buy this Ruby Maroon Death Wagon when open at 9AM the next morning. I want to save you having to share the pain.

My F350 Diesel 4x4 is Dangerous... you have to use the GREEN HANDLE Diesel Pump, not the Gasoline. There are gasoline options, too. I heard they are also Crazy. Birds of a Feather... Flock Together, somehow.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not...I like the floating wheel bearings....unlike the small car bearings on the rear
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
3/4 'ton' what?
Our 2500 is no longer being made.
I can't speak for P/U's, but no regrets here.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
I shopped for 3/4 ton Tahoe's or Suburbans, and it seems that the only ones available were made to be converted into bulletproof vehicles, and had no real towing abilities, to speak of.....is that right?

A 3/4 ton suburban 4x4 would be awesome !
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I have been towing several years with a 2016 F350 Diesel. Bought it new. It came with Michelin LTX tires and a 2 1/2 inch, not the easier to lift a 2 inch shanked hitch system. The spare was an aluminum wheel and the tire matches the others. You know something is WRONG when that happens.

Once my F350 was attached to the 25 foot International I knew owning this truck was a Death Wish. No human BEAN should be able to purchase one off the dealer's lot. Trained professionals, only. Look at my photo. Do I look like your neighbor? Well... maybe.

Worse. Towing a 27 foot had no restraints on power and one must be cautious that if the speed limit is 55mph... be careful. If Speed Kills... get rid of the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup before you exceed your ability to think. Speed slows down the thinking process. Trust me... all I can think about now... is passing traffic going 52mph on a 75mph highway. Poor judgment, again.

Driving up Mountain Passes at a comfortable speed and slowing down to go down the pass... is going to get you, sooner or later. Do you have Life Insurance?

Safety out the door... or your passenger with wide open eyes and they are hanging onto the dash board may be out the door at the next service station.

Those days with the Tundra sitting down in the rear made it easier to load cargo in and out, when attached to either trailer. I miss those days. Now I have to lift and sit everything on the tailgate... Ford provides a ladder that pulls out of the tail gate. There is RISK using it if you are afraid of height.

There is no Speed Limitation that restricts your speed with or without a trailer attached. Some may forget they have a 34 foot Airstream in tow and get pulled over by a Highway Patrol as you... LOOKED Guilty.

All of you with your Half Tons, your mothers SUV... or go carts... just leave this Beast alone. It is made in Hell and you will drive like the Devil. It is embarrassing.

My blood pressure was barely indicating I was alive when towing. Pulse nearly non existent... or my wife says. Anyone who is safely towing with a Half Ton Tinker Toy or a Truck... just smile and know... you heard all of this on the Airforums.

Crazy people out there. Oh... I am sitting in my F350, in the garage listening to the radio and text messaging this warning.

DO NOT STEP INTO A 3/4 or 1 Ton Pickup. You will end up like me.

The Sales person, a woman by the way, offered me a pillow so I could spend the night so no Crazy Person would buy this Ruby Maroon Death Wagon when open at 9AM the next morning. I want to save you having to share the pain.

My F350 Diesel 4x4 is Dangerous... you have to use the GREEN HANDLE Diesel Pump, not the Gasoline. There are gasoline options, too. I heard they are also Crazy. Birds of a Feather... Flock Together, somehow.

Just signed the paper work on Thursday day before Valentine's on a 2016 Ford SuperDuty diesel F350 that was used. But only 15900 miles on it. Dealership only had 2 diesels on the lot used . I made the mistake of letting the wife test drive it with me. It is a Lariet. She fell in love with it . I had the sales man hold the key. We while I tried to show her how a 2019 f250 diesel that was a SD XL . But after a ride around the lot she told me, The 2016 Lariet was the way to go. Traded in our 2013 Ford F150 with max Towing package. We drove the F150 to WV this past Autumn . Too many days with white nuckles. Don't see a issue now. Maybe with a speeding ticket although. Planning on the Rockies this summer leaving in 6weeks. Very excited with my aluminum rim Michelin LTD spare tire.
Dealer threw in the 2 1\2" to 2" reducer in . Not a trained professional yet. Will practice before the Rockies trip to maybe a Appalachian trip.

I guess I'll up my life insurance this week also.

That ladder Ford included in the tail gate is nice.

Working on updating my SYNC to Apple play.

My wife also said she needed a pillow when we test drive it , she was going to take a nap. Our test drive we were gone 2 hours , she wanted to Just keep driving. This thing is gonna be dangerous RAY.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyman View Post
Just signed the paper work on Thursday day before Valentine's on a 2016 Ford SuperDuty diesel F350 that was used. But only 15900 miles on it. Dealership only had 2 diesels on the lot used . I made the mistake of letting the wife test drive it with me. It is a Lariet. She fell in love with it . I had the sales man hold the key. We while I tried to show her how a 2019 f250 diesel that was a SD XL . But after a ride around the lot she told me, The 2016 Lariet was the way to go. Traded in our 2013 Ford F150 with max Towing package. We drove the F150 to WV this past Autumn . Too many days with white nuckles. Don't see a issue now. Maybe with a speeding ticket although. Planning on the Rockies this summer leaving in 6weeks. Very excited with my aluminum rim Michelin LTD spare tire.
Dealer threw in the 2 1\2" to 2" reducer in . Not a trained professional yet. Will practice before the Rockies trip to maybe a Appalachian trip.

My wife also said she needed a pillow when we test drive it , she was going to take a nap. Our test drive we were gone 2 hours , she wanted to Just keep driving. This thing is gonna be dangerous RAY.
towing with a one ton TV is just pure pleasure, and when it gets nasty, windy, etc., man does it ever pay off then....My Airstream is Vintage so I can tow it with my Tahoe, but the stability and lack of drama when towing with my E-350 is just about intoxicating.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
No regrets. As others mentioned, although I've had 1/2T trucks and SUVs that had the pulling power, I appreciate the lateral stability of the beefier 3/4 ton platform. We once had a 1T SRW 4x4 TV and it was great as well.

Our favorite part about the 3/4T is the turbo diesel. At altitude we don't suffer the power loss of naturally aspirated engines, and coming down the mountains, we find the engine brake is the best thing since sliced bread.

Mark
DotsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Never.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Last Thursday night we finally were able to pick up the truck we ordered last November. A 2020 RAM 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 axle. Should be plenty for the Airstream we have on order. 2020 30' International Serenity RB Twin. Max weight for the trailer is 8800 pounds. The 3/4 has a max tow of just over 16,000 pounds. Should be plenty!
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Suburban HD3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
I shopped for 3/4 ton Tahoe's or Suburbans, and it seems that the only ones available were made to be converted into bulletproof vehicles, and had no real towing abilities, to speak of.....is that right?

A 3/4 ton suburban 4x4 would be awesome !
That is correct, seems very odd to have such a low tow rating. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/07...olet-suburban/
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Photos required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Last Thursday night we finally were able to pick up the truck we ordered last November. A 2020 RAM 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 axle. Should be plenty for the Airstream we have on order. 2020 30' International Serenity RB Twin. Max weight for the trailer is 8800 pounds. The 3/4 has a max tow of just over 16,000 pounds. Should be plenty!
JohnandDonna, congratulations on the new truck and 30' Airstream! There's a rule on the Forum, photos are required when you get something new

The MegaCab is something special. You're correct about that truck able to handle your Airstream. We've got the 6.4 and 3.73 axle and with the new 8-speed transmission, it handles our 27' GT just fine (even in the Rocky Mountains). That 4.10 will help too.

Good luck!
-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I regretted buying 2500 when I should have bought a 3500. Mistake remedied 35K miles and two years later.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Crazy People need to EVOLVE into Human Beings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyman View Post

You lucked out. The 2016 was the LAST F250/350 with a real steel bed. Bed, as in the back of the truck cab. Ford said reducing the weight by using aluminum would make it possible to... HAUL and TOW... MORE. Crazy People will flock to those as they now CAN haul the kitchen sink... and use it.

I have over 30,000 miles on OUR, not just MY but Nancy's as well King Ranch. I wanted the older interior that had the long horns on the seats. The 2016 has some modern looking goat horn or something. That was a real disappointment.

Horns on the Hood may be a compromise... but Nancy is not 'hot' on that idea. Yet. Texas Long Horn... not some Hereford like some Dodges. Hey... just having fun guys. Dodge makes 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, as well. Just idle funny.

Welcome to the Airstream Trailer Towing Tank club. You may have heard of it before: ATT&T.

The 1/2 Ton without 4x4 will call you a Fool and maybe a Country Hick... but they cannot catch up with any of us. My mother liked the other tow vehicles because they were... cute.

I have my morning coffee, 11 to 12 small chocolate covered Acai/Blueberry 'flavors' out of a bag from Costco and follow the mayhem of Anti Sway and Hitches and what did I pay for my Airstream Threads.

It is good to hear that Crazy People and Human Beans step forward and admit that they found satisfaction in a Tank prototype to tow an Airstream OVER 23 feet.

Those with an Airstream up to 23 foot... a half ton pickup is just fine.

Find a 3/4 and 1 ton Truck with 4x4, so you can hire out to pull the others out of a mud hole, snow bank or up Monarch Pass in Southern Colorado.

Our wives will want to drive the BEAST, as well. Ride and Drive the Beast may have different meanings, but if some of you that enjoy being excluded from social circles at a RV Park come out WEST. Drop me a PM.

Bad Company is always welcome. If you need to hold hands when hiking... you are not going to work out. Our Blue Heelers will take you as livestock and heel you. If you use two ski poles to stand up... maybe this is not something you want to do. If you think a daily shower is for sissies... now we are talking.

I will not go on as you may take Nancy and I up on the offer. I will advise you that Thalweg in Wyoming is nicer, well mannered and if not... Connie will give him a Mule Kicking to remind him and myself, that women like Big Trucks and Real Stinky Men.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We recently bought a RAM 2500 Hemi. So far very happy with it. Gas vs Diesel is another topic, but no doubt that having an HD truck takes away all the stress out of towing and lets you focus on having fun with your AIrStream.
Having it as a daily driver would probably depend on where you live, it definitely has some constraints when it comes to maneuverability. The ride can be a bit stiff too, but honestly that hasn’t concerned us much so far. RAM seems to have done a good job with interiors and suspension.
2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
1 ton Diesel rocks!

Went from a Toyota Tundra (1/2 ton) to a F350 Diesel. Love it.
The F350 doesn’t get driven downtown ATL into parking garages or anything. It is harder to park, but the cameras on the truck allow complete visibility around the truck so you can get it perfectly between the lines.

Loved the Tundra but it didn’t have the payload capacity we need.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Truck and Trailer: Height and Width Issues

One BIG Caveat:

Make sure that you know the height of your potential new Tow Vehicle.

Older homes have garages that are not TALL ENOUGH.

When we were looking at used homes in Boulder City... the garage door openings were too low. Even border line for the Tundra, as that is what we had at the time, if not already too low.

There are driveways here, where the RV Garage needs a magician to figure out how to drive from a steep street, up a steep narrow driveway and into the RV Garage- backing up.

Few give that consideration. A single car garage opening barely fits our 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser with maybe six to eight inches of clearance on each side. I leave the mirror out as if the mirrors will not clear when we go in or out... neither will the fenders.

A DOUBLE Door. Ha ha ha. The Beast and another full size vehicle will not fit.

Although... if you are in the market to move anyways... go for it. Nancy was happy the Tundra would not fit and now we have a three car garage and RV garage.

Also, unlike our neighbor... discovered, his Diesel Pusher Bus was a DRAGGER from the street into his RV Garage.

We picked our LOT knowing that the transition from the cut de sac into the RV Garage was important. I told the builder, if I cannot get our trailer into the RV Garage... this is on your Dime.

He kept his dime and kept the bundle of dollars to make it right.

A win / win. I have my garage and she has a home to keep clean.