Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #1

Dripping Springs , Texas
27 Globetrotter - Tow Vehicle Recommendations

We really need to stick with a light-duty truck vs. a super duty.

Also keep for the lane assist options that seem to only come with the lighter trucks

What are the best options as of now?

GMC Sierra with the Diesel?
roffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
If you must stick with a 1/2 ton, find an F150 3.5 ecoboost with max tow AND max payload.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
If you expect to do a lot of towing a diesel is your best choice. Gas engines get really bad fuel economy when under load.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
For our 27 FBQ I use a F150 4x4 Crew Cab 6.5 Bed 3.5 Ecoboost with Heavy Duty Payload Package (which now automatically selects Max Tow). Great combo, 2551# payload, 500ft/lb with 3.73 gears, couldn't be happier. Way below individual axel weight ratings. For 2023 you can only get it in an XL trim. I have had to make no modifications, everything works as it should. It's my 4th F150 and by far my favorite even though it's a lower trim level. Only thing I truly miss is the power folding mirrors from my previous Lariats.
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
We tow a 27' GT with a 2012 Yukon Denali. We pack light, it's just me and the DW plus our 10 pound pup. Inside the Yukon we have 50 pounds for bikes, 50 pounds for the generator, 75 pounds of misc. tools and gear. That's it inside the TV. I removed the third row seats giving me 100+ more pounds of payload. I even remove the second row on many trips giving me 125+ pounds of additional payload. The Denali comes stock with heavier duty axles and it has the 6.2L V8 which is amazing. It has the same 460 ft-lbs of torque as the diesel option but also has 420 horsepower (150 more than the diesels). We are currently in the Colorado and it has no problem what-so-ever with the big steep mountains. I've passed many diesels pulling 5th wheels. We just smile and wave as we go by.
:-)

We went with lithium batteries to lower tongue weight. We use a weight distributing hitch, which you will absolutely need with a light duty TV. We use a Pro Pride. I *highly* recommend you go through the CAT Scales once you have your rig. It's the only way to be certain that you are within the ratings of your truck and that you have your WD hitch dialed in. With our setup, we are within every weight limit of our vehicle and trailer.

The take away is, yes you can safely tow a 27' GT with a light duty truck in steep mountains but you need to be a minimalist and you need to dial in your WD and brake controller.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by roffers View Post
We really need to stick with a light-duty truck vs. a super duty.

Also keep for the lane assist options that seem to only come with the lighter trucks

What are the best options as of now?

GMC Sierra with the Diesel?
Not trying to push you into a heavy duty truck as I am currently towing a 2022 Globetrotter 27fb twin with a 2016 Porsche Cayenne S :-). 7000 miles of successful towing so far (including up to 14% grades in CO, UT, NM, and AZ). Managing the payload can be done, but you need to be a bit anal about it. I weigh every thing that goes into the trailer and tow vehicle, then use CAT scales before every trip for confirmation.

But, I have been evaluating heavy duty trucks so I can safely carry more fun stuff (e-bikes, grandchildren, etc).

The 2023 Ford F250/F350 comes with a full complement of driving assistance technology. Adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, blind spot information system (for the 2023 model year, it even covers the blind spots around the trailer), etc, etc.

In addition, you can also obtain a built in 2kw pro power generator and built-in payload and tongue weight sensors.
foobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Ellicott City , Maryland
We have a 2019 GT 27’ that I tow with a 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I’ve been very pleased with this combo - the Ram makes towing easy and I haven’t seen it struggle yet. Lots of good options for you to consider.
Hughmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:49 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I understand that one of the challenges with this particular trailer is the trailer payload. If a second AC is specified and if you travel with a full tank of fresh water then I understand remaining payload for the trailer is around 750lbs (Foobar has a much better understanding of this than me). Moreover, tongue weight tends to be heavier than what is in specs. So more tongue weight on the TV. Also the relatively low trailer payload means that you may need to use TV for cargo. All puts more load on the TV and drives towards the need for higher TV payload.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWilma View Post
I understand that one of the challenges with this particular trailer is the trailer payload. If a second AC is specified and if you travel with a full tank of fresh water then I understand remaining payload for the trailer is around 750lbs (Foobar has a much better understanding of this than me). Moreover, tongue weight tends to be heavier than what is in specs. So more tongue weight on the TV. Also the relatively low trailer payload means that you may need to use TV for cargo. All puts more load on the TV and drives towards the need for higher TV payload.
FredWilma is correct.

My 2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin as delivered from the factory has a 928lb payload on the factory sticker with a 2nd a/c as the only factory option. If you add a factory solar system, you end up with payload rating in the 870lbs or so range.

Tongue weight of the empty trailer from the factory is 1100lbs including the weight of the WD hitch, full propane tanks, and factory AGM batteries.

A full tank of water weighs 330lbs.

That only leaves 598lbs of remaining trailer payload. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?

Well, after I implemented 700watt solar array, lithium battery bank and victron multiplus II 2x120 inverter, I ended up with 298 lbs of remaining payload. That disappears pretty much instantly once you begin loading up the trailer for camping. So you need to put heavier items in the tow vehicle. But, if your tow vehicle has a limited payload too, you get into dicey territory pretty quickly.

Honestly, the payload rating for my trailer is ridiculously low. So I upgraded my factory 3800lb axles to 4200lb rated axles in order to safely handle higher loads. I keep all heavy trailer loads directly over the trailer axles so I don't stress the trailer frame or shell beyond factory tolerances.

You really need to do some math in order to make sure that you can tow safely with whatever tow vehicle you choose. Be very careful as switching tow vehicles is pretty expensive if you make a mistake.

Many half ton trucks with a lot of factory options have payload ratings of 1400-1800lbs. That's not much.

1800lbs - 1100lb tongue weight = 700lbs remaining for cargo.

Add Tonneau cover for 150lbs and 350lbs for 2 passengers and you have 200lbs left.

A Honda generator, hoses, spare oil, etc weighs 70lbs (remember, I weigh everything, lol).

So now you have 130lbs left over. Add a dog, dog food, and a dog kennel or a couple of children for passengers and you are violating the payload rating for the truck.

If your trucks payload sticker is less than 1800lbs, it will be a serious challenge to manage.

Best of luck to you in your decision process!
Old 06-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Not trying to push you into a heavy duty truck as I am currently towing a 2022 Globetrotter 27fb twin with a 2016 Porsche Cayenne S :-). 7000 miles of successful towing so far (including up to 14% grades in CO, UT, NM, and AZ).
Hi Foobar. I read with interest of your successful towing up (and down, I hope) 14% grades in CO, UT, NM, and AZ

Being a lifelong RV and travel enthusiast, I can say I have traversed just about every paved road and pass in those four states and don’t ever remembering encountering a 14 % grade (up or down), or even close to that grade in any of those states.

If you could share those locations with us, it would be a worthwhile revisit.
Thanx in advance!
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
No

Stick with a Ram FM or Ford 3/4 ton. Our 150 lasted 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
If you must stick with a 1/2 ton, find an F150 3.5 ecoboost with max tow AND max payload.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Hi Foobar. I read with interest of your successful towing up (and down, I hope) 14% grades in CO, UT, NM, and AZ

Being a lifelong RV and travel enthusiast, I can say I have traversed just about every paved road and pass in those four states and don’t ever remembering encountering a 14 % grade (up or down), or even close to that grade in any of those states.

Thanx in advance!
Hi Genebuilder.

Hwy12 in Utah has multiple 12% grade locations along it's route. And it's not the only road that has them, but it is the one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

I am looking through my photos looking for the 14% grade. Still haven't spotted the photo yet.

I thought I had taken a photo of it because I was surprised to see it. We ran into this grade on a small, narrow (no shoulder) road that was a mix of asphalt and gravel in different sections of the road. It might have been in New Mexico when we went up the side of a nearly vertical escarpment that ended up on the Colorado plateau. We took lot of unusual routes as some of the best scenery and camping were on dirt roads.

I did find one photo of a 12% grade. I have others and will keep looking when I have spare time. These photos were taken on a back road into Capitol Reef National Park. We went both directions on this grade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230416_105638.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	432813Click image for larger version

Name:	20230416_102841.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	432814
Old 06-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:

Thanx in advance!
Here is another 10% grade. I have other photos.

Don't know if I took a photo of the 14% grade sign. I still can't find it. I might have been focused on my white knuckle grip on the steering wheel, lol.

We went both up and down this particular grade. It is located on a road next Valley of the Gods in Utah. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230411_201012_402.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	432816
Old 06-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
And you were hooked up to the trailer on both of those runs?
Old 06-05-2023, 04:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
San Antonio , Texas
I have a 2018 International 27FBQ and a 2023 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali with the Turbo Diesel. It tows like a dream - I drive 64-65 MPH here in the hill country of Texas and get 14-16 MPG. The combination seems to me to made for each other.
JGF79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
And you were hooked up to the trailer on both of those runs?
Yes. Was a bit nervous on the first of these, but was not nervous at all to run into one of these by the end of the trip.

Our typical approach initially was to take only the Cayenne to check out the tough section of the road before taking the trailer. By the end of the trip, we were a bit less risk averse.

Side note, on Highway 12 in Utah, I damaged the 7 pin umbilical when executing a u-turn on a tight dirt road when hunting for a boondocking campsite. I pinched the cable between my friction anti-sway bar and the trailer A-frame, resulting in cutting the power to the trailer brake controller and the right rear trailer turn signal. So, for 65miles of the last half of highway 12, we had to traverse several 12% downhill grades with no trailer brakes. Thank God for the massively over engineered Cayenne brakes. I only noticed a slightly longer braking distance when coming to a full stop, otherwise the final segment without trailer brakes was uneventful.

I can't find photos of the 14% grade, but internet searches confirmed that this steep grade is present on 4 locations on Utah Highway 12.

FYI, highway 12 in Utah is a bucket list item. You absolutely need to drive this road at least once. The road runs between capital reef national park and Bryce Canyon National Park. The scenery along the entire road is mind bogglingly beautiful.

Google hogsback ridge photos (located on highway 12). There is no shoulder or guard rail. Only steep drops on either side of the road immediately after the asphalt ends. I drove down the middle of the center line on the road on the hogsback ridge section, strictly due to the sheer terror the road triggered when towing, lol.

It's probably time to get back on the OP's original topic.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
If you want to try out one without leaving the state of Texas, FM-170 that runs down the border from Candelaria to Presidio along the Rio Grande has some steepness, including a 15% grade. No country for old men, as Cormac McCarthy noted. Some good camping to be had around The Big Bend.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
If you want to try out one without leaving the state of Texas, FM-170 that runs down the border from Candelaria to Presidio along the Rio Grande has some steepness, including a 15% grade. No country for old men, as Cormac McCarthy noted. Some good camping to be had around The Big Bend.
Ooh. Gotta add that road to my to do list :-)

Entering and exiting Palo Duro Canyon state park is via a 10% grade with switchbacks.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
We are on topic. You brought the 14% grades up.. still waiting to hear about the other three states you mentioned. Curious, not judgemental.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
I have a 2018 27’ FB Twin. I may be wrong but I don’t think payload is a problem with this trailer. Initially, I see where it may appear so. On the Cat scales my trailer is a little over 7,400 lbs fully loaded for travel so it appears to be pushing its 7,600 gross weight axle limit for the TT Using round #’s, on the same Cat scales the trailer weighs 6,300 lbs with weight distribution attached, with tongue weight of around 1,100 lbs being transferred to the TV.

In travel mode I have plenty of trailer payload cushion, if I am correct in my thinking as 6,300 is way below 7,600. While parked and adding 2 adults inside the RV I still don’t think I am over as the front jack and the stabilizers absorb that tongue weight that the TV was carrying.

I’ve always felt your weight limitations are finding a TV that can handle that tongue weight and rear axle capacity on the TV that handle it, and other payloads, as well. You may be within your TV”s total weight limits but still exceeding the rear axle limits. Sometimes that is overlooked.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote