Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
You said yourself that the used diesel 3/4 ton trucks are more money. That means the diesel trucks get a much higher return when you go to sell. Cry once - get the diesel. You will get it back when you sell and get to enjoy the power/torque/mpg while you own it.
95TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckgarvey View Post
Any of the diesels are great for towing. I have owned GMC and now own Ford diesel. Problem is the electronics they are putting in these vehicles. I had three electronic modules fail within one year on my GMC duramax (yes, out of warranty) at a cost of $4K. Engine only had 60K miles. Don't know who has most reliable electronics these days but engine life is not problem, electronic module life is problem.
That's why if you buy a diesel buy an extended warranty. And this is the issue with the modern diesel truck. Yep, they can pull like crazy. But fixing them is very very expensive. It only takes a few things like this happening and all that money everyone says you get back on resale goes to the someone else i.e. the repair shop.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
RAM has a 5 yr 100,000 mile drive train warranty. Nissan has the same but on the whole vehicle.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
That's why if you buy a diesel buy an extended warranty. And this is the issue with the modern diesel truck. Yep, they can pull like crazy. But fixing them is very very expensive. It only takes a few things like this happening and all that money everyone says you get back on resale goes to the someone else i.e. the repair shop.

No need they come with a much longer warranty than the gas variant.I have seen your unwarranted negative post on Diesel engines on numerous threads.Do you speak from personal experience from ownership?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:14 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Anyone who has that much fear of repair costs is in the wrong hobby. HD trucks are not cheap to fix whether gas or diesel. But the heavy components hold up much better and longer than 1500s. And if you think the cam phasers on a 6.2 gas are cheap to fix you’ve been reading too much online and haven’t been under the hood enough (and coming out to the shop when the dealer mechanic calls you out to look at your truck doesn’t count).

I’ve always had Ford, GM and now Ram trucks, always way out of warranty. If I thought any of these were unreliable I wouldn’t own them. But fact is with proper maintenance (and I don’t mean “taking it to the dealer for everything” ) a competent owner can run them for years. Today’s google truck expert may have trouble making things last and should stick to new trucks under warranty or Consumer Reports Top Picks (and maybe stay in the right lane so I can do the speed limit).
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most of us do go to a dealer for almost everything, I suspect.

Why would I ever want to be "under the hood" on my truck?

We go out for 6-7 months every year. A home based independent shop does us little good. So,.. we have been to dealers in Alaska, the Yukon, Canada, Seattle to Florida and up to St. Johns (those Canadian dealers can be very expensive).

Dealer service is something maybe to consider when purchasing. I know have been generally happy with the service we have received for the Dodge.

For me, potential repair costs are a frightening issue. But we have gotten enough use out of the truck to write it off if it really breaks. I suspect with the fancy transmissions and electronic engine controls I would feel the same about a gasser also. I may well be in the wrong "hobby" for my economics. But I am going to "pull" until I can not.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Most of us do go to a dealer for almost everything, I suspect.

Why would I ever want to be "under the hood" on my truck?
Unfortunately way too common these days. When I hire an engineer I ask what they drive and look at their hands. In today’s world too many “engineers” who can’t turn a wrench or run a machine.

Why look under the hood? Maybe to check the oil or spot a leak? I dunno, you could count on the dealer to fix it. Yeah, there’s yucky stuff under there as my wife says (but also has been “under the hood” of her new 2019, checking the oil).

Wow, just wow.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:

I bought an extended warranty when I bought my ‘12 Ram 3500 and never used it. Biggest waste of money ever (for me). I skipped the extended warranty on my ‘18 Ram 3500 (although I’m sure I’ll get plenty of offers when the original warranty expires).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did spend 60+ years as a broke family man forced to be a shade tree mechanic driving junk and fixing everything that broke from the suspension to engine work. I even made it though 3 camshafts and a broken timing gear on a 6 cylinder Volvo. (I think they bought them from Ford that year). As one of my friends who had a similar car said to his mechanic, "I don't know how long a camshaft is supposed to last but it ought to me more than a tank of gas, shouldn't it". Getting the car back together at 3 am to pick up the carpool at 7 am was too frequent an occurrence. My hands always looked terrible. Now I enjoy sitting in an air-conditioned lounge reading a magazine getting my oil changed and the truck checked over. I usually do not even go out to look when they come ask me something.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #90
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Is the use of different materials between gas and diesel explain why a Duramax engine weighs 900-1000 lbs more than the gas equivalent?
Hi

Nope, still made out of the same stuff (steel). You need to go to something like ceramic to get to higher temperatures. The weight difference comes from a lot of things and not just the engine.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
No need they come with a much longer warranty than the gas variant.I have seen your unwarranted negative post on Diesel engines on numerous threads.Do you speak from personal experience from ownership?
In every heavy duty use, marine, freight hauling , construction it is a diesel engine doing the heavy lifting.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I did spend 60+ years as a broke family man forced to be a shade tree mechanic driving junk and fixing everything that broke from the suspension to engine work. I even made it though 3 camshafts and a broken timing gear on a 6 cylinder Volvo. (I think they bought them from Ford that year). As one of my friends who had a similar car said to his mechanic, "I don't know how long a camshaft is supposed to last but it ought to me more than a tank of gas, shouldn't it". Getting the car back together at 3 am to pick up the carpool at 7 am was too frequent an occurrence. My hands always looked terrible. Now I enjoy sitting in an air-conditioned lounge reading a magazine getting my oil changed and the truck checked over. I usually do not even go out to look when they come ask me something.
Well I quit driving junk after college so I must be doing something right. Always had a choice between working on it myself or picking up a rental and leaving it at a competent shop (never a dealer). Still have a full set of tools, powered by air, and can choose to leave the heavy work to a shop.

To the original question of the thread, there is no comparison in the feel of gas and diesel HD trucks even if they are rated at the same power. Go diesel, and please walk around your vehicle once in awhile so a simple problem doesn’t strand or wreck you. Remember the dealer oil change guy is 20 years old and will start lug nuts with an impact wrench while you sit in the lobby.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
In every heavy duty use, marine, freight hauling , construction it is a diesel engine doing the heavy lifting.
Hi

Giant passenger airplanes .... M-1 tanks .... modern peak power generators ...

(all are quite heavy duty and all run on turbines)

Bob
Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Part of this discussion is the price of diesel to gas. Just filled up yesterday. Diesel 19 cent a gallon cheaper than mid-grade gas which is what my 2500 gasser required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2322550E-23F8-4709-869E-1D328D584046.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	355181  
dkdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #95
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdouglas View Post
Part of this discussion is the price of diesel to gas. Just filled up yesterday. Diesel 19 cent a gallon cheaper than mid-grade gas which is what my 2500 gasser required.
Hi

You would *never* see something like that in Pennsylvania ...

Bob
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Diesel is often cheaper than mid-grade gas, I think. Not often cheaper than the lowest grade gas.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #97
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I filled up last night at a truck stop in Virginia. My TV only requires 87.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191029_003402.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	355237  
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I filled up last night at a truck stop in Virginia. My TV only requires 87.
That’s a pretty extreme example. Driving from metro ATL to North GA today, I noticed large variations in the delta price between regular and diesel. Generally it varied from 10-20%.
Out west the delta is much less.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #99
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
There were 3 stations at that exit....All of them about the same in price....That pic was from a Flying J.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Unfortunately way too common these days. When I hire an engineer I ask what they drive and look at their hands. In today’s world too many “engineers” who can’t turn a wrench or run a machine.

Why look under the hood? Maybe to check the oil or spot a leak? I dunno, you could count on the dealer to fix it. Yeah, there’s yucky stuff under there as my wife says (but also has been “under the hood” of her new 2019, checking the oil).

Wow, just wow.
If you can tell the skill of an engineer by looking at his hands then that engineer needs to learn how soap and a nail brush work.

There's plenty of 18 year old Jiffy-lube techs with dirty and torn up hands, and I sure don't want them engineering anything more complicated than a sandwich.

I can take apart and rebuild just about anything out there and my hands look good. My hands (and brain) make my money, so I take care of both of them.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote