Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Boston , MA
'21 X7 m50i - factory hitch - WDH and brake control questions?

Does anyone have experience pulling an Airstream caravan with a WDH/brake controller and X7?

last summer, we pulled our AS Caravel 22fb with an aftermarket Uhaul non-WDH, 700lb tongue weight 2inch hitch receiver, and a Curt Echo brake controller - did get some swaying occasionally and so plan to go WDH now, esp as the X7 hitch receiver is inadequate.

Our caravan:
Airstream Caravel - 22FB -

Tongue weight - 525lbs (with LP and Batteries, unladen), laden - +700lbs
Base weight with LP and batteries - 4200 lbs (close to 5000 laden)

our X7 M50i with factory hitch
606lb tongue weight for factory hitch receiver is disappointing (why is this less than 10% of the stated tow weight of 7507lbs????)(the Range rover hitch receiver is the strongest of all non truck SUVs)

Andy Thomson of CanAM RV in Canada - the foremost expert in Airstream towing with SUVs and non-pick up trucks - has been very helpful.

our planned WDH, based on Andy's recs:

1. Eaz-Lift Elite Model
* 1200 bars
* two friction sway controls (does anyone have experience installing two of these, rather than one driver or passenger side control?)
2. Can-Am custom shank (to replace Eaz-Lift shank)
* Can be ordered from Andy Thomson at Can-Am
3. Reese WD Snap-up brackets (replace Eaz-Left snap u- brackets)

our planned brake controller??

1. Curt echo
easy to use, poor quality and design (we used this last summer with an 2018 X5 + uhaul hitch) the retention clips are just the worst, had to replace it once, you need to tape it down as the new strap is useless). Also there are been reports of the Curt echo burning out the wiring in the BMW.

2. Tekonsha P2 or P3?
we cannot find an installer in Boston, BMW dealer or RV dealership - who wanted to touch the wiring in either our 2018 X5 last year, or our 2021 X7 m50i - because of warranty concerns.

questions:

1. does anyone have experience with X7 + WDH and Airstream caravan?

2. what is your installation advice if we want to avoid the Curt echo? the Tekonsha system is more robust and eliminates the concerns about the Curt echo damaging the wiring system of the X7, as per CanAM RV.

3. any problems using the Curt Echo with a 2020 or 2021 X5 or X7?

thanks for your feedback!!!
Miezi 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Might be worth checking out the BMW p/n 82 11 0 420 082/085 Controller kit. I think it might be a repackaged Tekonsha. Although it specifically says E70 and E71 it worked fine with the BMW trailer wiring on my son's 2018 X6M. All installed by BMW dealer. Yes the whole setup including BMW hitch was much more expensive than other options.

Also works with F15 apparently https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...18-x5.1251888/