Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think before you write anybody a check that you should at least drive a Nissan Titan XD. Very nice second generation 5.6 L V8 that makes way more power than you’ll ever need. The truck was designed for a diesel that is no longer available so it can tow and carry a lot more than a half ton but you can buy one for a half ton price.

It has all the good towing stuff, mirrors, the brake controller is Tekonsha, well-built class 4 hitch.

Mine it’s rolling up at 68,000 miles and has never been back to the dealer...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Forgot to mention five year, 100,000 mile warranty
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I just got a link for another new option coming available on the F-150s. Sounds interesting. Highlights:
This summer, the all-new 2021 Ford F-150 will debut available Onboard Scales which estimate cargo weight in real time and indicate capacity three different ways
Class-exclusive available Smart Hitch measures tongue weight to help customers properly hitch up and reduce the possibility of trailer sway when towing
Available continuously controlled damping improves ride and handling on- and off-road, especially in towing situations and also provide pothole mitigation technology

Link to the full description: https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/...BOC-2021-04-28

I was at my dealership today setting up an order and got a current copy of the order guide and saw the entry for "Onboard scale w/ Smart Hitch (req. Continuously Controlled Damping (61D on High 701A) option code is 55S. I asked her about it and since it's brand new she didn't have a clue. (I'm not surprised, I'm able to order my Ford vehicles from the Lincoln dealership she works for, upside I sign all paperwork and get delivery at my house - she can't do the delivery at the dealership!). Price is about $600, she is checking to find out what the hit will be to payload. The controlled damping feature sounds particularly useful.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
I re-read all the replies and also discovered that the "door stickers" are the most credible "specification" for payload.

I include the tongue weight in the tow vehicle payload.

It makes sense that the tire ratings would be the limiting factor. The 2020 Tundra that we test drove said 1320 pounds on the tire sticker. There was another sticker that said "load carrying capacity reduced...modifications to this vehicle have reduced the load carrying capacity by 27 pounds".

The electrical engineer in me wants to check out the 2021 F150 for the technology, fuel economy and generator capability.

The pragmatist in me wants to get something that has been debugged and is "on sale" because the new toys are selling like hotcakes.

My research shows that the 2022 Tundra will be a strong competitive response to the competition. I'll be watching that carefully, knowing well that "redesigns" take a lot of field experience to be fully debugged.

Since my bride bought on to the idea of an AS, she has moved up from Basecamp 16 to Bambi 22 FB.

If I buy a new truck, I will explain that will determine the maximum trailer size for the next decade :-) I don't really want to go any longer that the 22, and find maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces to be stressful enough. Dual axles even more so.

The research will continue, probably through 2021 to see what the 2022 Tundra reveals.

Thanks again for all the constructive input!
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #25
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Sorry, I did not read any previous replies. But scrolling through I noticed the usual number of pictures of door stickers. Some folks here are really into payload and door stickers. I thought you posted you were looking at a Basecamp or 16’ Bambi. You’re pretty safe to look at smaller trucks than the one ton diesels.
We pulled a 19’ Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma. Absolutely loved it. We always went out west so I can tell you first hand the Tacoma does fine on mountain passes. Drop to 2nd gear on the way down and you do fine. Two great things about a Tacoma. You don’t have to worry about reliability. That’s a big one. And,, if you like to 4 wheel across the mountain passes you have almost the same capability as a Jeep Wrangler. We took our factory original Tacoma across some very difficult passes in CO. We pull a 25 now. Too much for the Tacoma. (So we switched to Tundra). Enjoying the same reliability, but missing the ability to take on those four wheel drive narrow trails.
Good luck on your decision.
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhilsdorf View Post
The other issue I’m personally wrestling with is the sticker shock,
One option I used was to buy a "Certified Used" Truck. I found a 2015 with only 12K miles and it was immaculate.
I chose a Tundra for the reliability. Mine is my daily driver.
I get 11.9 mpg towing and about 16 not towing, not great but I chose reliability over better fuel economy.
I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again.
BTW, I used clip on tow mirrors for a couple years, and finally installed a set of Trail Ridge Tow mirrors. Excellent. Easy job.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
I re-read all the replies and also discovered that the "door stickers" are the most credible "specification" for payload.

Since my bride bought on to the idea of an AS, she has moved up from Basecamp 16 to Bambi 22 FB.

If I buy a new truck, I will explain that will determine the maximum trailer size for the next decade :-) I don't really want to go any longer that the 22, and find maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces to be stressful enough. Dual axles even more so.

Thanks again for all the constructive input!
1-YES you are exactly right. The door sticker is the number to compare.

2-NO-This is where a lot of people get boxed in.

The EE in you surely knows about specifying and that to meet or exceed specs is a good way to eliminate options that won't work, or aren't necessary, and make sound decisions.

If you intend to keep a truck 7-10 years, then you should specify to include what your needs may be during that time.

Our first AS was a 22, and any decent pickup or large SUV can manage that. Not much to see here. But as you have not field-tested, you may be only considering towing and payload and weights.

What you also must consider is what you will need to bring along, where it will go.

My point is, with the smaller trailers, more and more of your bring along gear is IN the vehicle-back seat, bed, rooftop, etc. You see, with a larger trailer you have more on trailer storage and can actually have a lot less stuff in the truck.

All this stuff in your truck eats away at needed payload. So that the overall needs converge quite a bit when you honestly look at the problem in this way.

My second point is that many people trade up to a larger trailer, (even if they don't intend to). We traded twice, from a 22 to a 25, and then to a 27. Because our rigs were in accidents and it was just less hassle for us to trade the insurance check in and roll out with a new unit vs missing an entire summer of camping to hassle with repairs and constantly worry if they are done properly. Now we probably would have traded to a larger unit (or at least wanted to) when we couldn't sleep 4 adults in the 22. But doing that may not have happened as fast.

My second second point is that it is usually easier to back up a longer trailer than a shorter one based on where the fulcrum is and how much more movement you have on a smaller trailer with a small adjustment on the wheel. Once you are already dealing with towing, then length just doesn't matter much as far as driving, getting gas, etc.

I'm not saying you won't buy a 22 and love it for 10 years.

I am saying that with a 22 or smaller, you will need to store lots of stuff in the vehicle and this uses up payload. I would recommend purchasing enough truck to at least be within your spec comfort for a 25 airstream as it is the most popular model.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
..... I don't really want to go any longer that the 22, and find maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces to be stressful enough. Dual axles even more so.

......!
Hi

I find a bigger trailer to actually be a bit easier to maneuver than a small one (at least when backing up). The response to steering is slower so you don't overcorrect as much ( better phase margin .... ). Driving down the road, either the trailer follows the TV or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the game is over. Haven't run into that yet.

I would suggest that the actual length differences in these trailers are quite small. Go and sit in examples of several sizes. If you are considering a 22, at least go sit in stuff up to and including a 25. The idea is that this should be a ">10 year" sort of purchase.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
Update - we placed a deposit on a 2022 Airstream Basecamp 20X for delivery in December.

It feels right for us.

This turns the focus to the tow vehicle.

I met in person with the trusted Ford dealer who sold us the 2004 F150.

The advances in technology are impressive.

Although I have a refundable reservation on the Ford Lightning, we both agreed that the range & charging network is not there yet. Most stations are not set up for vehicles with trailers attached either.

The attractions to F150:
7.2 KW generator (requires hybrid engine)
significantly better mileage than 2021 Tundra
ability to integrate trailer TPMS into vehicle TPMS
ability to add a rear view trailer camera and integrate into vehicle display
reverse guidance
recliner seating (back comfort is becoming more of an issue)

I'm watching carefully for the 2022 Tundra announcement. I'd really like a plug-in hybrid truck with 30-50 miles electric only range when we're at home. That gives the best compromise between range and fuel economy, plus the technology impresses this electrical engineer :-)

Thanks to this community for all the helpful input so far....stay tuned.....
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote