Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
While waiting for an oil change at a Toyota dealer, I found the following payloads in the showroom

Tacoma - 1200lbs
Tundra - 1350 lbs
Sienna - 1600 lbs
Sequoia - $88,000 MSRP and locked so I did not see the payload/cargo sticker
Assume the Highlander is in this range for payload. Add your tongue weight, passengers and cargo you plan to carry in the TV to estimate your payload/cargo requirements.

No, the Highlander will come in under all of those.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I know that the Highlander would do just fine because my Ford Explorer has same tow limit as the Highlander.

Tow limit does not equal payload. Just because two vehicles have the same tow limit, doesn't mean they have the same payload.
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
I'm with Halford1.

We tow a 2018 Bambi 16 with a 2011 Ford Explorer with the factory tow package and could not be happier. It works great. About 12.5 - 13 mpg.

The Explorer has very similar specifications to the Highlander.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

San Leandro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
No, the Highlander will come in under all of those.
Are you sure about that? A quick search shows 2021 Highlander XSE payload at 1,535 to 1,625 lbs. The yellow sticker may be a little lower, but not by so much?
Gmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
My cousin had a Highlander while I had a 4Runner: the tow rating was the same, but hers didn’t have the payload that mine did. We’ve both ended up trading into different vehicles... I did love my 4Runner, it just didn’t have the towing chops that my Sierra does.
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
FWIW, I'll jump in with my Highlander experience with out 20' FC

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...bo-217945.html Post #7
Old 03-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
CruizinDux, thanks for the info on the Toy Hi. The family took a look at the Chevy Traverse and like it better that the Toy Hi. Bummer that it is still at towing capacity of 5 K. From what I can gather that should be fine, but definitely closer to the limit.
Tahoe is an option, but also exploring some used GLE or X5 with factory tow package. Both of those seem to provide enough margin on the tow numbers.
Tallboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TBS, I suspect with your 16' you'll be fine with a 5K capacity. Look for a county ag scale (or even a moving co) to get a better picture of actual axle weight. Much better than the busy commercial scales, plus it gives you time to move cargo around to gauge the affect TW and L to R differences. Make sure the TT is loaded as usual. I think you'll be surprised how much under the 5K your weight will be.

Once you have your new TV make a return trip to check WD and weight per tire to determine the tire PSI.

Happy trails
Old 03-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

San Leandro , California
I have been towing my 16rb with a 2018 highlander xle and it is a great combo. I checked my highlander’s yellow sticker and the payload capacity is 1340lbs. A google search shows that payload has increased for the 2021 highlander. This provides a good margin for passengers and cargo once you subtract the 450-500lbs hitch weight.
Gmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Power won't be a problem with the 3.5 V6. The issue comes down to this: are you prepared to pay for the turbodiesel truck engine that will allow you to climb an 8% grade at 65 mph, or are you ok with staying in the right lane with the tractor-trailers for a few minutes? You will need to downshift, but there is nothing wrong with a few minutes of 4000 rpm running. It will not harm a properly-maintained engine.

Also, the Highlander is not a small car. It has grown into a substantial vehicle, similar in size and and heavier than full-size cars from 30-40 years ago. Curb weight for the XSE is probably 1000 lbs more than the GVWR of the 16RB.

Speaking of load, your Bambi probably doesn't have shock absorbers and if it doesn't, it will be bouncy when lightly loaded. The solution is to fill the water tank and take enough stuff with you. Keep the trailer close to it's GVWR, and it will be more comfortable to tow.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Great post Albert. I added the jet pack chip ( probably another 10% of hp and torque) to give me a bit more chug a chug a on grades. As an example i84 cabbage hill EB out of Pendleton OR...a serious grade. Not the first up the pass but not the last. Gears are there for a reason. And I was pulling a heavier 20. Same for Ashland on i5 or i80 eb out of Laramie.

Agreed on the shocks. My Hi had struts and it was not possible to upgrade to help with the 20's 631 TW so i managed that with FW in the tail. I also swapped the oem 19 rims for 17's ( per the manual) and and new higher load rated tires 103t to 107T ?? And added about 250 lbs per tire of payload capacity. Never had a bounce problem nor sway Maybe because used the equalizer wd.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
I have a 16' International that's probably a bit heavier than your Bambi. I tow with a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport which has the 6 cylinder EcoTech engine and recently completed 900 mile trip through central Colorado. It went over six mountain passes over 10,000 and two that were over 12,000 ft without any hesitation. It got 15 mpg for the entire trip. The newer Explorer sport had higher capacity but is also quite bit more expensive. If a used vehicle works for you, I highly recommend a 2017 through 2019 Explorer Sport.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboyslim View Post
We ordered a Airstream Bambi 16 RB for family road trip adventures. We don't have a TV yet and trying to decide on one that will work for us to tow the Bambi.
We are looking for a SUV that will be the regular family car in & around town and also double up to tow the Bambi when needed.
The usual trips we would take are 2-5 days within a 1000 miles round trip. There are hopes to do cross county trip as well from CA to MA.

We are considering a 2021 Highlander XSE (3.5L V6). The GVWR for the Bambi is about 70% of the tow capacity of the Highlander. With some water in the tank and some luggage we should be within the 5000 lbs capacity.

The Bambi has a GVWR of 3500 lbs with a Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) of 430 lbs.
The 2021 Highlander has a tow capacity is 5000 lbs and tongue weight capacity of 500 lbs.

Anyone have experience with using the Highlander as a TV for their trailer, short or long term?
Or are we just better off going for something like a Tahoe? We re trying to balance the towing requirements with overall use in & around town.

Any info, tips, comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
We tow our 2019 16' Bambi with a 2015 Range Rover Sport (V6 with twin turbos). Tow capacity of 7,700#s and ample payload #'s as well. No WD/Sway hitch needed as this is built into the Range Rover suspension.

Happy hunting!
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

We tow our 21 FB Sport with a 2018 VW Atlas with no issues.
hannahreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St.Francisville , Louisiana
Highlander/Bambi

I have been towing a 16 Bambi for years with a TacomaV-6. The manual says “Do not tow with Overdrive engaged”. I have found the V-6 to be well fitted for towing the Bambi, getting about 12-14mpg.
La3rdworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sandston , Virginia
2021 Highlander fo towing the Bambi 16

Hi,
We have a 2016 Highlander XLE 2 wheel drive and tow a 22 FB Bambi. The around town gas mileage is around 20-21 and towing the trailer averages around 16. Fully loaded, we are about 4000 pounds, 80% of capacity. I have yet to feel the trailer overpower the SUV. Yes, towing over mountains you have to slow down, but we tow around 60 mph on interstates. I set the cruise control and stay in the right lane and very rarely have to take over from the cruise control. The trailer center that installed our brake controler thought that the Sequoia would be a better choice because of it's 6000 pound weight. Because the Highlander is a daily driver, the Sequoia's low gas mileage was a deal killer. My wife loves the comfort of the Highlander and this is our second and would buy another (first had 160,000 and our current has 90,000 miles). Remember you will need to be careful how you load the trailer and the SUV because of weight limits. Our Airstream dealer said it was doable and as did Patrick (Airstream dealer in NJ). Our east coast mountains are lower than the the ranges in the west, which could be a factor to get a larger TV. Works for us on the east coast. Best, Bob

[QUOTE=Tallboyslim;2472537]We ordered a Airstream Bambi 16 RB for family road trip adventures. We don't have a TV yet and trying to decide on one that will work for us to tow the Bambi.
We are looking for a SUV that will be the regular family car in & around town and also double up to tow the Bambi when needed.
The usual trips we would take are 2-5 days within a 1000 miles round trip. There are hopes to do cross county trip as well from CA to MA.
Bob Altic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #37
Obelus

2008 16' International CCD
Silver Spring , Maryland
Highlander/Bambi

I use a 2017 Highlander as a TV for our 2008 16’ International Bambi. It has proved to be a competent tow vehicle. Our previous TV was a 2009 Honda Ridgeline, also with a 5000lb tow capacity, and it was also a very capable TV. Both vehicles have a unibody vs body on frame, which certainly makes for a more comfortable ride. While our Ridgeline came with a full tow package, that was not the case with the Highlander (or any Highlander according to the Toyota dealer in Boulder, Colorado). And while the dealer installed a 4-pole wiring package, it would not install the 6-pole we needed. We had the 6-pole installed by a local RV dealer and it has worked well. The Toyota owners manual does not recommend using the Ridgeline for towing, even though the manual also indicates the SUV is rated to tow 5000lbs. Toyota also says that while it designs vehicles with off-road capabilities, it does not design them for towing. I have no clue about the validity of any of this, maybe others who know more can weigh in. At first, I was skeptical about using the Highlander as a TV (why we ended up with one is a long story), but after having driven it from Colorado to Vermont and used it in Vermont, I am very satisfied with it as a TV. I’d been considering replacing the Highlander with a Toyota Sequoia before heading out again cross country, but no longer see that as necessary. I did replace the fixed trailer hitch I used with the Honda with an adjustable one as the Toyota sits lower than the Honda and it’s important to have your trailer level for towing. The Honda owners manual recommend not using a weight distribution hitch but left it up to the owner whether or not to use an anti-sway bar. I tried the Honda with & without an anti-sway bar, and found it handled better with one. As both vehicles are unibody, I decided it made sense to use the anti-sway bar on the Toyota, too, but not a weight distribution hitch. Good luck with you decision!
Obelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #38

2018 23' International
Melbourne , Florida
Airstute

Our son tows a 16 Bambi with a 4Runner. Works great several trips Florida to and around the Rocky Mountains. 4Runner much better than a Highlander mostly because of solid rear axle and truck like suspension. We tow a 23 International to the Rockies from Florida with a larger SUV with a solid rear axle (Lexus LX 570) which works well. Avoid crossover unibody SUVs with independent rear suspension.
Airstute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Valparaiso , Florida
Wife and I tow a 16 Bambi with a 2017AWD Honda Pilot. It is setup with Trailer braking, weight distribution, anti sway and an extra transmission cooler. I weigh contents while loading trailer and get the tongue weight with Sterling scale before hooking up. We don’t boondock so don’t carry much water and only have one propane tank. Then I use a CAT scale if heading off on a long trip—most of our short trips are closer than the CAT. We get 14.5 mpg when not in mountains. We are newbies but have logged 4000+ miles comfortably between Seattle and Boca Raton with this rig.
DMBValP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Woodland , California
The tow capacity of the Highlander would be at the limit with any amount of gear, clothes, food, ice chest, cooking gear, chairs, bikes, etc. - all the stuff one normally carries on a trip - more if you're into kayaking or fishing. Add the weight of water, full propane tanks, partially full grey water or blackwater tanks if you are not staying in a place where one can empty them before hitting the road, and the safe tow capacity is probably exceeded. Even then, one might be OK except for Murphy and his associated laws and corollaries. High winds, heavy traffic, detours onto steep narrow roads, or the stupidity of other drivers, all put a low limit tow vehicle at risk.

One might consider the crew cab F150 diesel or hybrid. High tow capacity, good fuel economy in daily driving and a lot of cargo space for camping and sports stuff. If you should decide a larger trailer is more suited to your needs, the F150 will still meet them. There are several other excellent selections in this forum for other tow vehicles.
flyfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote