Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Meh, I’m still waiting for the diesel Tundra..
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The 1/2 ton payload question is constant. Ford has an F150 Heavy Duty Payload truck in the XLT trim. It would increase my F150 XLT payload by about 500lbs. The only thing I would not get is the BLISS system (not sure why), but I could handle that with good towing mirrors. I think I would go that direction before buying an F250 since the payload for the HD is just about what it would be for a diesel F250.

I agree the Tundra is a great truck. I really do wish that truck manufacturers would increase payload on their 1/2 tons. For many of us that use our trucks as daily drivers that want reasonably decent fuel economy and a ride that is a bit more forgiving it would be nice.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #23
Eric

2019 25' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Great points.. I'm adding Spring Helpers to rear axle .. as i understand will help with sagging .. adding +2.2k # capacity. I'm exploring the idea of adding a front hitch receiver to carry a small scooter (< 250# ) .. ideas?

I have 2017 5.7 Tundra - crew cab/short bed ..pulling 2019 FC 25 FB.

Cheers!
laferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by laferic View Post
Great points.. I'm adding Spring Helpers to rear axle .. as i understand will help with sagging .. adding +2.2k # capacity. I'm exploring the idea of adding a front hitch receiver to carry a small scooter (< 250# ) .. ideas?

Cheers!
Check out the roadmaster suspension system. I put it on my F150 and stability is greatly enhanced. Easy to do and not expensive.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

Cheers!

I don’t believe adding helper springs will increase the GVWR or the front or rear GAWR. It will just help the sagging.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Meh, I’m still waiting for the diesel Tundra..
A diesel HD Tundra would be great, but think about an iForce V8 working in tandem with a stout (100 HP?) electric motor. Tons of torque, regenerative braking, and the reliability and efficiency of a Toyota hybrid. Not your mother’s Prius😀
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Oh, I agree, but I’d have to see the towing and payload numbers first. Eaton makes hybrid diesel-electric setups with huge battery packs. I’ve seen them on the road.

We have two Prius vehicles. The one I Drive is a 2012 with over 182,000 miles on it. DW has a 2916.

Mine is all original, just dealer serviced regularly at the recommended intervals. There is another one in the area that the dealer services with over 500,000 on it, and it’s the original engine, drivetrain and battery. Toyota has it figured out. A hybrid Tundra would be interesting if it had similar reliability to the Prius, and the tow capacity and payload of a beefed up Tundra.

Jury’s still out in the diesel version of the Tundra. A mule was being tested in Texas last year, but the rumor mill has gone silent on the results and plans. Was supposedly coming out in 2020, but nothing real yet.

With all the issues I see with small diesels on the market now, there’s no way I’d go with one right now. Next move will probably be a Tundra if some sort. The domestic ones are not in my sights, nor will they ever be. I’m been spoiled by total Toyota reliability for the past 50 years that I’ve been driving them. Everything I’ve ever had from Ford and GM has been a total hassle to keep running, and to easily find parts when they get a little age on them. YMMV.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

Cheers!

Adding helper springs/bags will NOT increase payload capacity. This will not improve the carrying capacitiy of the axles, the stopping ability of the brake system but it will help the bed sit level. You might want to check your claim with an experienced mechanic.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Next move will probably be a Tundra if some sort. The domestic ones are not in my sights, nor will they ever be. I’m been spoiled by total Toyota reliability for the past 50 years that I’ve been driving them. Everything I’ve ever had from Ford and GM has been a total hassle to keep running, and to easily find parts when they get a little age on them. YMMV.

I am confused. I thought that all of the Tundras were domestic and built in Texas. My 2008 domestic Tundra has been a great truck and very reliable.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
We had a 2016 Tundra 2WD and pulled a 19ft. Bambi CCD with it and it was great. Then we moved up to a 25ft. FBT International Serenity and we took a trip from Arizona to Moab UT. Unfortunately, we felt we did not enough braking power and the Airstream pushed us down the hills. The truck rode great on comfort but just didnt feels stable side to side. We took a test drive in a Ford F-250 Diesel and havent looked back. Diesel braking, a stable feel and power for going up and down through the mountains. Plenty of payload, torque and room inside the cab. We love the combo and it looks great going down the road. [emoji846]Click image for larger version

Name:	20180528_174051.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	360082
DAHBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
2020 Toyota Tundra Payload

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I am confused. I thought that all of the Tundras were domestic and built in Texas. My 2008 domestic Tundra has been a great truck and very reliable.

Dan

Sorry, not being clear. ‘Domestic’ in this context I’m referring to Ford, GM, or Chrysler’s products.

Toyota is not a domestic brand, per se. A lot of their models, like Camry, are built in the US. Toyota is a Japanese brand, like Honda.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Oh, I agree, but I’d have to see the towing and payload numbers first. Eaton makes hybrid diesel-electric setups with huge battery packs. I’ve seen them on the road.

We have two Prius vehicles. The one I Drive is a 2012 with over 182,000 miles on it. DW has a 2916.

Mine is all original, just dealer serviced regularly at the recommended intervals. There is another one in the area that the dealer services with over 500,000 on it, and it’s the original engine, drivetrain and battery. Toyota has it figured out. A hybrid Tundra would be interesting if it had similar reliability to the Prius, and the tow capacity and payload of a beefed up Tundra.

Jury’s still out in the diesel version of the Tundra. A mule was being tested in Texas last year, but the rumor mill has gone silent on the results and plans. Was supposedly coming out in 2020, but nothing real yet.

With all the issues I see with small diesels on the market now, there’s no way I’d go with one right now. Next move will probably be a Tundra if some sort. The domestic ones are not in my sights, nor will they ever be. I’m been spoiled by total Toyota reliability for the past 50 years that I’ve been driving them. Everything I’ve ever had from Ford and GM has been a total hassle to keep running, and to easily find parts when they get a little age on them. YMMV.
I’m with you on Toyota reliability. I had a 2009 Camry Hybrid with 168K miles until it was rear ended and totaled. It was absolutely problem free. NEVER had to have anything fixed... only maintenance: fluids, tires and a tail light bulb. Replaced it with a 2012 Camry Hybrid. Same story. 135K miles and still going strong. The Camry hybrid also has very good acceleration and handling as well, which you wouldn’t expect.

By the way, if you look at the Toyota hybrid implementation, especially the power split device they call a CVT you’ll see why it’s actually more reliable than the regular Camry. No bands, or engaging/disengaging gears.

Loved our Tundra but when we traded our 23D for a 28’ FC, we had to go with an HD truck. Now have an F350 Diesel (2019), love it so far and are keeping our fingers crossed.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHBABY View Post
Unfortunately, we felt we did not enough braking power and the Airstream pushed us down the hills.
All Tundra owners need to try this.
Shift manually on downhills, or stop and go. Your shift lever on the console? Press it to the left and it will go from "D" to "4". Paddle up for a higher gear, and down for a lower gear.
I'll go down hills in 4 or 3. Keep an eye on the tach, because the engine is so quiet, it's easy to forget you're in "2" and driving at 4500 RPM. It will still shift, but the number indicated will be the HIGHEST gear available.
Back to flat land or uphill? Just press the shifter to the right and you're back in "D".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Corona , California
2020 Toyota Tundra Payload

Works in Tacoma trucks as well. Gotta pay attention to terrain. The transmission is not that smart. I also note that prolonged braking on my 2012 Tacoma also commands a downshift to help control during downhill runs.

The rule of thumb is go down the hill in the same gear it took to get up the hill.

Gotta drive intelligently. The vehicle is not that intelligent—the driver is supposed to be paying attention!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I hope everyone worried about "towing capacity" is paying attention to the numbers here. Those manufacturer's numbers are hard numbers, while our estimates of what we load in the trailer and truck are soft numbers and probably underestimates. In my opinion, once I actually put pencil to paper and got serious about the weight limits, I was shocked about how my "towing capacity" published for my Tacoma was insufficient for my 22' … and even more shocked that the dealers of the truck and Airstream didn't understand the numbers or why they disqualified my combination of truck and trailer.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I hope everyone worried about "towing capacity" is paying attention to the numbers here. Those manufacturer's numbers are hard numbers, while our estimates of what we load in the trailer and truck are soft numbers and probably underestimates. In my opinion, once I actually put pencil to paper and got serious about the weight limits, I was shocked about how my "towing capacity" published for my Tacoma was insufficient for my 22' … and even more shocked that the dealers of the truck and Airstream didn't understand the numbers or why they disqualified my combination of truck and trailer.

^^^ This. Exact same experience just different truck and Airstream. They all focused on max tow capacity not payload or cargo capacity. Payload was our limiting factor instantly with a 1500.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
The Mother Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
same experience … Airstream. .
I knew up front that the vehicle dealer was going to lie to me and tell me that anything I bought from them would tow anything I bought from anyone else. I cross-examined them within an inch of their lives. But I was basing the cross-exam on the printed specs for my new Airstream.

I was not prepared for AS to tell me that everything said here about the actual weights and balance of the different models was a lie. That was a shock. But if it was believing people here with boots-on-the-ground knowledge or the Mother Ship, I knew who to believe. So, disappointed, but not surprised.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #38
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
All Tundra owners need to try this.

Shift manually on downhills, or stop and go. Your shift lever on the console? Press it to the left and it will go from "D" to "4". Paddle up for a higher gear, and down for a lower gear.

I'll go down hills in 4 or 3. Keep an eye on the tach, because the engine is so quiet, it's easy to forget you're in "2" and driving at 4500 RPM. It will still shift, but the number indicated will be the HIGHEST gear available.

Back to flat land or uphill? Just press the shifter to the right and you're back in "D".

I’ve gone down some very steep passes in CO in 2nd gear. It has the rpms up higher than what I normally see, but it works! I hardly have to touch the brakes. I may not be running 65, but it only takes a few minutes to get to bottom of the hill.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I heard from a Toyota sales guy (TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT) that Toyota will come out with an HD truck, Hybrid powered, in 2 years. Actually I doubt it. Not sure Toyota will make the investment.
My friend (who's also a Toyota sales guy) said the same: he said the numbers being reported for it are *crazy* and he won't believe them until it actually shows up, but, supposedly insane tow ratings and mileage both. But, where it had earlier been looking like an announcement later this year for a next-year's model, it's looking like that might be pushed back another year.

I'm contemplating trading my Toyota for a GMC... (I had a Sierra before the Toyota, and am in the preliminary stages of considering an AS now... I'm realizing that my Toyota isn't going to be as good of a TV as I thought it would be...).
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #40
Silver Spud

2019 27' Globetrotter
Island Park , Idaho
We have owned ONLY Toyotas since 1984 but when we bought our 27' Globetrotter to full time in during the winter, we knew there was no way we would be traveling light. So we bought a Chevy Duramax 3500 HD. It tows like a dream (so my husband says) but we also enjoy the 13 - 14 mpg with the Chevy.
mtpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote