Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You guys do realize that the 10 sp transmission would not be rebuildable. If it fails, you'd be looking at buying a whole new transmission from Ford at a cost of at least $10,000 for the transmission; and I'm being conservative with that figure.

Most likely looking at $15-20,000, installed.

More speeds, just mean more to go wrong; not to go right.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I expect it to be fully rebuildable. It isn’t about the complexity of the transmission, as it only has one more gear set; it is whether the vehicle manufacturer decides to support it as a repairable part. As an example, BMW decided not to carry parts or train their technicians on the ZF transmissions they used, they just used ZF exchange units. If owners wanted to repair it they couldn’t get parts from BMW but they were and are readily available from ZF parts distributors like CTS. Ford licenced a ZF six speed and supported it with parts and service training. They can do the same on the new 10 speed transmissions, especially as those are their own product, not from a third party like ZF.

Using reman units isn’t necessarily a negative during the warrant period. And after warranty, there is no requirement to use the dealer in any case.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I expect it to be fully rebuildable. It isn’t about the complexity of the transmission, as it only has one more gear set; it is whether the vehicle manufacturer decides to support it as a repairable part. As an example, BMW decided not to carry parts or train their technicians on the ZF transmissions they used, they just used ZF exchange units. If owners wanted to repair it they couldn’t get parts from BMW but they were and are readily available from ZF parts distributors like CTS. Ford licenced a ZF six speed and supported it with parts and service training. They can do the same on the new 10 speed transmissions, especially as those are their own product, not from a third party like ZF.

Using reman units isn’t necessarily a negative during the warrant period. And after warranty, there is no requirement to use the dealer in any case.
Well, good luck then, but all the multi speed transmissions being offered by manufacturers, like BMW, Honda, GM and Ford, don't offer any sort of parts supply at all to outside remanufactures. The transmissions are too complex and the aftermarket, too unreliable (Dorman parts).

The manufacturers just don't want to deal with the aftermarket. Will the aftermarket come up with a rebuild kit or transmission replacement......maybe, but highly unlikely.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You guys do realize that the 10 sp transmission would not be rebuildable. If it fails, you'd be looking at buying a whole new transmission from Ford at a cost of at least $10,000 for the transmission; and I'm being conservative with that figure.
Ya, but when you look at the upgrade cost to a diesel is $9,000, then it's like you get 1, almost free, transmission replacement when you buy a gas engine..
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
I ordered a 2016 GMC 1500 with the 6.2 engine and max tow package. It came with the 10 speed transmission. All was well until about 20k miles then I started having transmission issues. I had it back several times to the local dealer then traded it on a 2018 F250 when we decided to buy the 30' Classic.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #25
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
10 speed?

I can't fathom the advantage, perfectly happy with what I've got
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
[QUOTE=Isuzusweet;2193618]You guys do realize that the 10 sp transmission would not be rebuildable. If it fails, you'd be looking at buying a whole new transmission from Ford at a cost of at least $10,000 for the transmission; and I'm being conservative with that figure.

Actually it less expensive to swap out a transmission than to rebuild one. Much faster turn around time for the customer too. Same reason no dealer rebuilds engines anymore. Rebuilds can be done "off campus" by techs specializing in assembly line fashion with all the tools, parts, and trained staff.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The current super duty trans is used in the F250, 350, 450, 550, 650, and 750, so it is plenty tough. The rumors are the ten speed will not be the same as the one in the F150. New Ford design and I don't know if GM will be involved in the development.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Fords 2017-2019 Superduty gas and diesel transmissions are different. The new 10 speed most likely wil also be different due to torque numbers of the engines. It’s highly unlikely the gas engine will be putting out over 900 ft. lbs. like the diesel.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Get a SMALLER Airstream trailer!

Therefore you can buy a smaller truck with a smaller engine that's cheaper to buy in the first place, less trailer weight to pull around, better fuel mileage which saves you money, less transmission speeds & potential transmission issues over the "Long Haul", longer truck/trailer tire life, cheaper trailer hitch, better truck/trailer brake life, less cooling system issues, overall lower operating temperature in all systems, less wind drag, shorter stopping distances, smaller windshield so less bugs on the windshield, less axles on trailer, better sway and vehicle control and on and on!

What's not to like???

OOPS!!!

Darn it!

I totally forgot about one MAJOR PROBLEM with this idea.

FATTER PEOPLE!

That means BIGGER truck, BIGGER trailer, BIGGER sleeping bed and more TRANSMISSION speeds to haul their BIGGER BUTT around in COMFORT!

Oh well that smaller truck and trailer idea was a nice thought while it lasted!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Fords 2017-2019 Superduty gas and diesel transmissions are different. The new 10 speed most likely will also be different due to torque numbers of the engines. It’s highly unlikely the gas engine will be putting out over 900 ft. lbs. like the diesel.
I would say that the basic 6R140 transmissions are the same. The torque converters are different, the programming is different, and the clutch plate material is different, but both versions have the same 1400 lb-ft input torque capacity. Note that that isn’t the same as engine torque, as it is measured after the torque converter.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #31
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Get a SMALLER Airstream trailer!

Therefore you can buy a smaller truck with a smaller engine that's cheaper to buy in the first place, less trailer weight to pull around, better fuel mileage which saves you money, less transmission speeds & potential transmission issues over the "Long Haul", longer truck/trailer tire life, cheaper trailer hitch, better truck/trailer brake life, less cooling system issues, overall lower operating temperature in all systems, less wind drag, shorter stopping distances, smaller windshield so less bugs on the windshield, less axles on trailer, better sway and vehicle control and on and on!

What's not to like???

OOPS!!!

Darn it!

FATTER PEOPLE!

That means BIGGER truck, BIGGER trailer, BIGGER sleeping bed and more TRANSMISSION speeds to haul their BIGGER BUTT around in COMFORT!

Oh well that smaller truck and trailer idea was a nice thought while it lasted!!!
[emoji1]

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
FWIW, the 2020 GM diesel HD's (Silverado and Sierra) will have new, 10 speed Allison transmissions and the V8 gas engine is rumored to be @ 8 liters.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
I would not be inclined to cheerlead for a 10 speed. I went from a '15 F250 PS to a '17 F150 EB and was SO glad to go back to a six speed (and hydraulic steering!) when I got this '17 F250 PS. I found the EcoBoost's constant shifting to be annoying. Perhaps the programming can be more appropriate if indeed the next generation F250 goes with more gears.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #34
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
My 2011 F250 has about 115K on it and never leaked a drop of oil or failed to deliver.
Then why trade it?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by njaspers View Post
I would not be inclined to cheerlead for a 10 speed. I went from a '15 F250 PS to a '17 F150 EB and was SO glad to go back to a six speed (and hydraulic steering!) when I got this '17 F250 PS. I found the EcoBoost's constant shifting to be annoying. Perhaps the programming can be more appropriate if indeed the next generation F250 goes with more gears.
did you have that backwards?

I have to say that I drive a 17F150 EB and I barely notice the shifting. The ten speeds allow smaller differences between gears so shifts are more imperceptible. Plus if I'm on a hill or something I can just shift on my own. I'm guessing I will be in the market for an F250 in 5-6 years so I'm keeping my eye on developments now :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I had a 2018 F150 (5.0) and now have a 2019 F250 (6.7 Powerstroke). I don't know how the diesel could need more than 6 gears, but it would be interesting. On my 150 I sometimes felt like it was searching for a gear (especially in the first four) and was never sure if it was just a "feature" or if something was wrong. It was an awesome truck though, but the auto-stop was really annoying. I know I could turn it off and it helped save some gas, but a start from an auto-stop was always a little sketchy.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Darn it!

FATTER PEOPLE!"

I resemble that remark!
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I'm on a diet! But really, past 50...I prioritize what makes me smile. And the great thing is bigger sized pants cost the same as their smaller cousins[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #39
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
FWIW, the 2020 GM diesel HD's (Silverado and Sierra) will have new, 10 speed Allison transmissions and the V8 gas engine is rumored to be @ 8 liters.
Anybody know if the new GM HD 10 speed is being co-developed with Ford as the lighter duty 10 speed was? The GM announcements refer to their new HD 10 speed as being branded an Allison (which makes sense from a marketing perspective) but they don’t refer to it as an Allison designed transmission.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I think I remember the TFL guys saying that only the light duty one was and the new one isn't.