Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
It really sounds like itís well thought out. Iím waiting to see what itís mpg is while towing. My 6.7L Cummins only gets about 10mpg (towing) on a good day and this, combined with a EGR Valve that has its issues has me hoping for something better (other than Deleting). Weíll see how things look in a couple years...
Sorry to sidetrack, but ... what is "Deleting?" I keep seeing that mentioned here, but I have no idea what it means.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Deleting is when people like their truck to look like an old coal fired locomotive going down the highway.

Basically removing all the diesel exhaust emissions controls, almost straight piping it. Look it up on YouTube
Old 02-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
In another thread (IIRC) someone made the point that modern Diesel automotive engines are at the point gasoline engines were in the Ď70ís-Ď80ís. After a lot of thought I have to agree. The 6.7L CTD in my Ram has never gotten over 14 mpg (solo), 10 mpg (towing). Due to having an EGR valve the internal part of the engine gets dirty fast. Iím no mechanic so cleaning it is just another expense (last time it cost $1,100). The ONLY reason for me to have a Diesel is for towing (I usually drive my older car around town but still have to drive the truck in the Winter).

The jury is still out on the Ford 7.3L gas engine. I find it hard to believe Ford would design and market a ďgas hogĒ in this day and age, but weíll see. (When I was younger, guys bragged about how fast their car was, now itís all about mpg.)
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Sorry to sidetrack, but ... what is "Deleting?" I keep seeing that mentioned here, but I have no idea what it means.
Removal or disabling some or all of the emissions equipment. It can be done with or without additional tuning to produce more power (or smoke in some cases).

To avoid setting codes or limping the engine, reprogramming is done at the same time. Itís not legal to do, by the way.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Here is a little blurb about why/how they developed the 7.3
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...details-specs/
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Thanks what about down shifting. Can you select each gear for braking?
In tow haul mode it does it automatically but you can also downshift on your own if you like. So for example when I am coming up to a stop sign it will automatically shift from about 7th or 8th gear (towing mode) to either 4th or 5th gear. But thereís also a place you can shift down more if you like.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #87

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Thanks what about down shifting. Can you select each gear for braking?
I assume Ford will use similar software on the SuperDuty's 10-speed that they do on the F150, at least from the user's point of view.

In Tow-Haul mode, on deceleration (or grade descent) if you apply the brakes, the truck will shift down a gear. Continued or firmer application of the brakes will cause another downshift, within a set of parameters like engine RPM, etc. As long as you stay off the accelerator (continuing your deceleration or trying to just maintain speed on a descent) it will hold that gear automatically. You can also use the +/- button on the shifter to "lock out" gears starting from 10th down, thus restricting the highest gear you allow the truck to use. I generally lock out 9th and 10th when towing the airstream, for example, because in 8th my F150 rarely needs to shift, and in 9th it hunts a bit if the road isn't level.

There's also a fully-manually-controlled mode, put the shifter in M and use the +/- buttons to order a shift.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote