Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantooth View Post
Thanks to everyone here for passing along your knowledge and experience. After lurking, learning, and doing our due diligence, the partner and I just ordered our very own Antimatter Blue Godzilla F-250. The dealer said about 12 weeks for delivery. Our Airstream arrives in January, so we're hoping the timing matches up. We went with an XLT, 8-foot bed, crew cab, 48-gallon fuel tank, and a few superfluous options to massage our, ahem, egos.

The diesel vs. gasser conversation was real. Fully-loaded, it's the partner, me, two dogs, two motorcycles, and, potentially (), a baby. We'll be full-timing for the first few years. Payload was a deciding factor. While we won't be schlepping one or both motorcycles for every trip, we like to plan for all eventualities.

We've worked our butts off to be in this position. It's not the life we expected (thankfully), but it's the life we're so happy to be on the cusp of living.

Thank you all for the continued inspiration.
Congratulations on your decision! You will want to note "payload" limits on the F250 if your planning on carrying a motorcycle mentioned...my King Ranch with 6.7L payload is only 2200lbs...my tongue weight, (noted above) is 1100lbs actual...while we don't carry anything as heavy as a motorcycle in the back, we have enough for our camp gear, kayaks, bbq, and few other "items". We have 6.5' bed...with the 28' FC it is sometimes a challenge parking...can't imagine parking with the 8' bed with our 28'! But, not my concern anyway...good luck and let us know how it all comes together for you!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Order date to dealership (this past Saturday) was 54 calendar days for our 2022 F-250 FX4 with Godzilla. >2800 payload capacity with the 10000 GVWR option. I hear that the adaptive steering could be causing delays, though. Our order didn’t have it. 2.5” receiver so I’m placing an order with ProPride, again. F-150 was 2” receiver.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Congratulations on your decision! You will want to note "payload" limits on the F250 if your planning on carrying a motorcycle mentioned...my King Ranch with 6.7L payload is only 2200lbs...my tongue weight, (noted above) is 1100lbs actual...while we don't carry anything as heavy as a motorcycle in the back, we have enough for our camp gear, kayaks, bbq, and few other "items". We have 6.5' bed...with the 28' FC it is sometimes a challenge parking...can't imagine parking with the 8' bed with our 28'! But, not my concern anyway...good luck and let us know how it all comes together for you!
Great call re: payload limits. We (the partner, me, dogs, motorcycles, generator) weigh in at about 1300 pounds. The payload for a Crew XL Godzilla with an 8-foot bed hits just over 3k. As I mentioned, we didn't go Lariat or above to help out a bit on payload (and cost!). Fingers crossed! Worst-case scenario is downsizing my big KTM or leaving a bike at home. I'll definitely keep y'all abreast of the situation. In my book, these are all great challenges to have!
mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Order date to dealership (this past Saturday) was 54 calendar days for our 2022 F-250 FX4 with Godzilla. >2800 payload capacity with the 10000 GVWR option. I hear that the adaptive steering could be causing delays, though. Our order didn’t have it. 2.5” receiver so I’m placing an order with ProPride, again. F-150 was 2” receiver.
No adaptive steering for us, either. Guess we'll be slumming it together .
Old 09-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #105
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Great call re: payload limits. We (the partner, me, dogs, motorcycles, generator) weigh in at about 1300 pounds. The payload for a Crew XL Godzilla with an 8-foot bed hits just over 3k. As I mentioned, we didn't go Lariat or above to help out a bit on payload (and cost!). Fingers crossed! Worst-case scenario is downsizing my big KTM or leaving a bike at home. I'll definitely keep y'all abreast of the situation. In my book, these are all great challenges to have!

Congrats! I would like to see how you haul ur two bikes sounds like maybe dual sports?? I’m hoping my son and I can fit ours Into the bed of our 2017 6.2 king ranch with 3010lbs payload.
Streamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamfam View Post
Congrats! I would like to see how you haul ur two bikes sounds like maybe dual sports?? I’m hoping my son and I can fit ours Into the bed of our 2017 6.2 king ranch with 3010lbs payload.
That sounds like a great thing, you and lil' Streamfam! I have a 1290 Super Adventure R and she has a 790 Duke R - if you've not dealt with them, I highly recommend a Condor stand (https://www.condor-lift.com/). Keeps things situated quite nicely back there.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Thanks to everyone here for passing along your knowledge and experience. After lurking, learning, and doing our due diligence, the partner and I just ordered our very own Antimatter Blue Godzilla F-250. The dealer said about 12 weeks for delivery. Our Airstream arrives in January, so we're hoping the timing matches up. We went with an XLT, 8-foot bed, crew cab, 48-gallon fuel tank, and a few superfluous options to massage our, ahem, egos.

The diesel vs. gasser conversation was real. Fully-loaded, it's the partner, me, two dogs, two motorcycles, and, potentially (), a baby. We'll be full-timing for the first few years. Payload was a deciding factor. While we won't be schlepping one or both motorcycles for every trip, we like to plan for all eventualities.

We've worked our butts off to be in this position. It's not the life we expected (thankfully), but it's the life we're so happy to be on the cusp of living.

Thank you all for the continued inspiration.

Congratulations on the new super duty. The difference between the 3.5 eco boost and the super duty was about 4 miles to the gallon. The F150 also was an XL, and the super duty has the lariat value package. I think it’s well worth the mpg to get payload and comfort. Post pictures when you’re set up.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #108
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Oakland , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Congratulations on the new super duty. The difference between the 3.5 eco boost and the super duty was about 4 miles to the gallon. The F150 also was an XL, and the super duty has the lariat value package. I think it’s well worth the mpg to get payload and comfort. Post pictures when you’re set up.
Check check, will do. The partner just decided to move up our full-time status to "As soon as it gets here, Mantooth." It was a happy surprise. We originally intended on April of 2022. Straight into the fire!
Old 09-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post

Hi Fungus,

Care to share what axle ratio you ordered with your truck? what options/packages did you order? Also, did you go with long bed (48 gal tank) or short bed(34 gal tank)?

Thanks!
pickupjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Attachment 401815. I Found these on a forum, going to order them. These trucks should have some kind of a badge. Just turned 19,000 miles on it. I don’t know if it took 10,000 miles to beak in or not. I raised the ball one hole and been getting around 12 miles mpg towing. When towing a switch back a forth 87 then 89.

Hi Coaster,

Any feedback regarding the performance of 10-speed transmission? I read some posts from Ford truck forums that some owners experienced some issues with the 10-sp trans when pairing with the 7.3L gas engine?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupjason View Post
Hi Coaster,

Any feedback regarding the performance of 10-speed transmission? I read some posts from Ford truck forums that some owners experienced some issues with the 10-sp trans when pairing with the 7.3L gas engine?

Thanks!

I haven’t had any issues with the truck, engine, or transmission. I bought the truck in January of 2020, and hoped it was a good choice. So far it’s been a great truck. We are going On another trip in a couple of days, first Georgia then Kentucky.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Hi Fungus,

Care to share what axle ratio you ordered with your truck? what options/packages did you order? Also, did you go with long bed (48 gal tank) or short bed(34 gal tank)?

Thanks!
  1. Lariat FX4 crew cab
  2. Short bed, 36 gallon fuel. The truck fits in the garage with eight inches to spare (4 in front, 4 in rear). It's more than a foot longer than my F-150.
  3. 3.55 axle ratio. Same as the F-150 with EcoBoost. It had plenty of pulling power.
  4. 7.3L V8
  5. 10-speed transmission
  6. LT275/70R18E. The 20-inch wheels would have made garaging it improbable. The Tires are still two or three inches higher than the F-150 20" wheels. There is a lot of rubber. I feel like the truck needs an automated voice that announces "Mind the gap" when you open the door to exit. The F-150 I could slide out of the seat to the ground. It's a long drop to the ground in the F-250.
  7. Chrome package. I like her to be pretty.
  8. 6" angular step bar (running board). Lots of folks go with the retractable running bar because it is lower. We're both still fairly agile. I like the running board to be there to knock down road debris.
  9. Chrome wheels.
  10. Skid plates
  11. 10000# GVWR
  12. Adaptive cruise control
  13. Pro-trailer backup assist. I never used this on the F-150 because it failed so much but figured resale might want it
  14. Splash guards
  15. Customer installed camera for trailers. Don't even know what this is or how it works. Might just be a $375 boat anchor
  16. Upfitter switches. Why not. Might come in handy someday and only $165
  17. 397 amp alternator
  18. Garage door opener. Although I'm having a heck of a time getting it to work.
  19. Dual battery
  20. Tailgate step. Had this on the F-150. Pretty handy.
  21. Bed step. This is the single step on the side at the bumper. I tried to cancel the bed step after the order but it was too late...already scheduled for production. They're kind of redundant. I'm looking for aftermarket side bed steps now to install at the front of the bed
  22. Lariat ultimate package which includes the bed step, heated/vented front seats, LED box lighting, some other goodies
  23. Extendable tow mirrors
  24. Plus all the standard features of the Lariat

If I did it all over again, I'd probably not order the FX4 off-road package. plain old 4WD would be plenty and even that may not be necessary.

And I would think again about diesel. When I ordered it, the truck was our daily driver. Since then, the DW got a Lexus GX. So the F-250 is probably towing only or hauling brush and doing farm things.

$67K plus sales tax.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the detailed information.

I was also doing some researches on the ford truck forum and there's a Ford dealer in Iowa accepting custom Super Duty order at invoice price along with 2% discount.

I hope it's ok to share the information here to help forum members who could wait to save some serious money!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 09-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
I was also doing some researches on the ford truck forum and there's a Ford dealer in Iowa accepting custom Super Duty order at invoice price along with 2% discount.

I reached out to this dealership and got a quote and it’s a legit offer. I’ve since decided to wait a year or two before upgrading my truck. But they were prompt and courteous in their communication.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed information.

I hope it's ok to share the information here to help forum members who could wait to save some serious money!

Thanks!

Jason

That’s almost as good as employee pricing. With the Z plan, the price came down 5,000$ off msrp sticker. That’s close to 9% off for our truck.I’ve seen our dealer has a truck with sticker price at 78,000$ and asking 98,000$. My wife said we were marathon shoppers.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #116
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So you still can get a deal on a Super Duty ...

That's 2% better than what my local dealer gave me. I don't think I'd go through the paperwork "fun" on an out of state purchase for 2%.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

So you still can get a deal on a Super Duty ...

That's 2% better than what my local dealer gave me. I don't think I'd go through the paperwork "fun" on an out of state purchase for 2%.

Bob
The 2% will be around $1200 for a truck at $60k MSRP. How much it “worth” is everyone’s own call, base on individual situation and locations.
In my case, the dealers in SoCal won’t come close with invoice prices. If I have to travel to Iowa to pick up my custom ordered truck, (fly in and drive 3 days to get home), the $1200 will be more than enough to pay for the air fare, food, gas, and hotels.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #118
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The 2% will be around $1200 for a truck at $60k MSRP. How much it “worth” is everyone’s own call, base on individual situation and locations.
In my case, the dealers in SoCal won’t come close with invoice prices. If I have to travel to Iowa to pick up my custom ordered truck, (fly in and drive 3 days to get home), the $1200 will be more than enough to pay for the air fare, food, gas, and hotels.
Hi

When it pitches an error code about "see dealer now, shutting down in 123 miles" that trip may take a bit longer .... That sort of thing does happen on new trucks. I have empirical data Earliest appointment I could get was 2 weeks out. We drop it off at the dealer tomorrow.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I bet you are enjoying your rig going cruising down the road. The larger rig plus diesel power is the ultimate for towing, I have never shared my upgrade story - I was trading trucks (Ram1500) every couple of years to "keep her fresh" - then my dealer called they had picked several new 2018 Ram 2500 from one of their associate dealers - this was August 2019. I sold my 1500 for 31k and paid a whooping $55K for a loaded Laramie crew cab long bed with a Cummins- Its long, its comfy, (no more porpoising) much safer pulling - Best Buy ever try to get a similar truck to day for that price - Plenty of payload at 2100lbs and of course no lack of towing capability for an Airstream. I hope you are enjoying your truck as much as we do ours.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Badge’s arrived yesterday.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	406574