Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I notice that there is a storm drain in the photo this may account for some squat you are seeing.
Yes Silvr_Bullet,... the photo gives a bit of an optical illusion as the drain and the slope of the pavement makes it look like the truck is squatting more than it is. It is only off about 1Ē - 2Ē front to back vs its unloaded balance.
Xbc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	678.3 KB
ID:	368143We towed our airstream 340miles yesterday and logged 11.3 mpg. Our trip was mostly highway at 60mph. Our F150 got around 10 mpg, but the super duty is more comfortable by far. It drives like itís not even towing anything.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Thanks for update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Attachment 368143We towed our airstream 340miles yesterday and logged 11.3 mpg. Our trip was mostly highway at 60mph. Our F150 got around 10 mpg, but the super duty is more comfortable by far. It drives like itís not even towing anything.
Thanks for the update Coaster! Glad you got to take the AS out for a trip! And glad to hear it handled well for you on the highway. I guess 11 mpg on a 34 gallon tank will give you about the same range as the 10 mpg on the F-150 with the 36 gallon tank, so thatís ok. And as you say, it tows well... and you also have cargo capacity.

By the way... What rack did you choose for your kayaks? Looks like you have the low bars and also the tall racks. I probably need to add the tall rack on mine too.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbc3 View Post
Thanks for the update Coaster! Glad you got to take the AS out for a trip! And glad to hear it handled well for you on the highway. I guess 11 mpg on a 34 gallon tank will give you about the same range as the 10 mpg on the F-150 with the 36 gallon tank, so thatís ok. And as you say, it tows well... and you also have cargo capacity.

By the way... What rack did you choose for your kayaks? Looks like you have the low bars and also the tall racks. I probably need to add the tall rack on mine too.

We have Yakima racks. The lower ones we bought used from the forums are for bicycle racks.They also came with 3 bicycle tire on racks. The towers are also Yakima. The lower rack also helps loading the kayaks as we can slide them on the bars.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	368231
Old 05-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Quote:
We have Yakima racks. The lower ones we bought used from the forums are for bicycle racks.They also came with 3 bicycle tire on racks. The towers are also Yakima. The lower rack also helps loading the kayaks as we can slide them on the bars.Attachment 368231
Thanks Coaster! Those Yakima racks look good. I'll have to look into those.

We took the F250 out for a nice long drive from Houston to Colorado, and only got about 14 miles per gallon (the bed was fully loaded with tools and some furniture, but we weren't towing the trailer). It did seem to improve a little bit over the course of the trip, so we will see what it does when we head home next week (and of course we will have a lighter load). But you do seem to be getting a bit better mileage on yours than I have been able to get on mine (at least so far).

Anyway... regardless of mileage, its a good truck, its met my needs, and I've enjoyed it. Happy towing...
Old 05-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Thanks for the updates on the new 7.3. Interesting the mileage without towing a bit low (14?) especially with the 10 speed. We can load the back in our 6.7L and we still seem to get 16.6mpg at 70-75 mph...weather the bed is fullly loaded or not. When towing the 28'AS, we get 12.5-13.3mpg pretty solid at 65-67mph depending on terrain. I am curious on MPG with the new 10 speed with the 6.7L diesel. We head out tomorrow from TX to MT....I will post mpg sometime after we arrive. I note, the fuel prices are going back up a bit...still not as bad as $4.00/ga few years back.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for the updates on the new 7.3. Interesting the mileage without towing a bit low (14?) especially with the 10 speed. We can load the back in our 6.7L and we still seem to get 16.6mpg at 70-75 mph...weather the bed is fullly loaded or not. When towing the 28'AS, we get 12.5-13.3mpg pretty solid at 65-67mph depending on terrain. I am curious on MPG with the new 10 speed with the 6.7L diesel. We head out tomorrow from TX to MT....I will post mpg sometime after we arrive. I note, the fuel prices are going back up a bit...still not as bad as $4.00/ga few years back.
I'm happy to report that on the return trip from Colorado back to Houston, my mileage improved to about 16 mpg (again, not towing). This was with most of the driving at 70 - 75 mph on major roads and interstates. Of course the trip is mostly net "down hill", and we had a couple of hundred pounds less cargo coming back than we had going up... but still... the engine does seems to be "lining out" to a bit better than the 14 mpg we had seen earlier.

And yes... the fuel prices are going up a bit, but still mostly below $2, so not bad at all...

I hope your trip to MT went smoothly.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	369219Attachment 1. With the total mileage of 3,187 shows 13.7 mpg. The towing miles shows2,223 at 13.3 mpg, but in reality Iíve towed the trailer around 1,000 miles. I donít know how the extra towing mileage increased. Those are the stats for those who are following.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...

Name:	IMG_2892.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	369221. Opps wrong photo.Heres the total miles
Old 06-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
Without getting into why Ford can't make their vehicles to perform in a consistent manner, some trucks are smart enough to figure out that the trailer has been disconnected and some require you to manually tell it the trailer has been disconnected.

Mine knows the trailer has been disconnected. That said, I'm now questioning the number of trailer miles that mine is reporting. I don't track each trip on paper so I can't come up with an exact number. But the number of trailer miles the truck is showing seems a bit high. Mine is primarily used for towing and spends long stretches in the garage.
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Apparently in the the process of naming the the trailer I ended up with 2 names for 2trailers.Ar and A,I was able to switch to no trailer. The truck does recognize when the trailer is hooked up, I guess it thought I had trailer A hooked up and counting miles. Reading the manual before hand would have helped. I reset the mileage and will start fresh with one trailer.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I'm happy to report that on the return trip from Colorado back to Houston, my mileage improved to about 16 mpg (again, not towing). This was with most of the driving at 70 - 75 mph on major roads and interstates. Of course the trip is mostly net "down hill", and we had a couple of hundred pounds less cargo coming back than we had going up... but still... the engine does seems to be "lining out" to a bit better than the 14 mpg we had seen earlier.

And yes... the fuel prices are going up a bit, but still mostly below $2, so not bad at all...

I hope your trip to MT went smoothly.
Stopped in Tetons for 6 days camping...no one there hardly! Gros Ventur campground...Jackson Hole...nice without the crowds. but I digress...averaged 12 MPG from Austin to Wyoming at 67 MPH..then, it went up to 13.3 from Tetons to Montana! Without trailer while in Tetons, but full bed, got 20mpg at 45-50 mph! I had to look twice at the speedometer! But, reality is what it is when towing....I did get the "recall notice" on the front stabilizer...just crossed 88K miles...still, many tell me it's "just getting broke in"! Warranty to 100K; big service with all the fluids coming up next change....will install the Bilstein shocks, but overall, happy with this as a TV. Diesel down to $1.90 in some places here...

Met several folks on this trip in Tetons who made the "switch" to a Class B/C"hybrid" who are pretty happy...some towing another small car, and some not...saying it isn't difficult to just get in and go explore without a tow car, if you understand how to secure/use your small MH vehicle.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:48 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Without getting into why Ford can't make their vehicles to perform in a consistent manner, some trucks are smart enough to figure out that the trailer has been disconnected and some require you to manually tell it the trailer has been disconnected.

Mine knows the trailer has been disconnected. That said, I'm now questioning the number of trailer miles that mine is reporting. I don't track each trip on paper so I can't come up with an exact number. But the number of trailer miles the truck is showing seems a bit high. Mine is primarily used for towing and spends long stretches in the garage.
Hi,
My 2019 knows when the trailer is disconnected for the purpose of backup warning, and blind spot warning but will continue to accumulate “trailer miles” until you go into the towing menu and select “no trailer”. The first indication I got of that is the “towing” display would always come up when you start the truck, no matter what menu was selected the last time I drove the truck.

It’s called a software “feature “ ��
Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Jim, the light bulb just went on! Thanks

Hi,
My 2019 knows when the trailer is disconnected for the purpose of backup warning, and blind spot warning but will continue to accumulate “trailer miles” until you go into the towing menu and select “no trailer”. The first indication I got of that is the “towing” display would always come up when you start the truck, no matter what menu was selected the last time I drove the truck.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
Mine does not come up with the towing menu at startup. That's after the trailer has been disconnected.

As many complaints as there are - and I have a few - I am very pleased with my F-350.
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
Jim, the light bulb just went on! Thanks

Hi,
My 2019 knows when the trailer is disconnected for the purpose of backup warning, and blind spot warning but will continue to accumulate ďtrailer milesĒ until you go into the towing menu and select ďno trailerĒ. The first indication I got of that is the ďtowingĒ display would always come up when you start the truck, no matter what menu was selected the last time I drove the truck.

The magic trick to not have this occur is to disconnect the trailer with the engine running. If you turn the truck off and then later disconnect it still thinks trailer is there. Ask me how I know?

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Tow our airstream 800 miles, a 500 mile and a 300 mile trip. First to northern Georgia then to Virginia. The mpg was 11.3 for the Georgia trip and 12.9 across Tennessee to Virginia. I was very happy with the 10 speed transmission, itís sure is a lot Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	996.0 KB
ID:	370990better than our old 6 speed. This truck has everything we need. Comfort ,power and payload.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Hauling... but not AS

Finally hauled a trailer with the F250 7.3L gasser... but not my Airstream yet. Had to take a U-Haul from Houston to Colorado. About 3100 lbs trailer weight (per the Cat Scale... I was just curious). Due to limitations of the U-Haul we drove around 60 mph the whole way. The first day we got about 13 mpg, then it dropped steadily down to just below 12 mpg by the time we arrived... but the wind was horrendous (though maybe should have helped... at least part of the time is was a tail wind). But the truck handled great, it was a very smooth ride, and I had plenty of acceleration and power. And the wind was not noticeable (until we got out of the truck!).

I was especially pleased going down Raton Pass... the 10-speed transmission in tow-haul mode really kept the speed in check (even without cruise control on). I barely touched the breaks on the way down. I was ready to manually drop down in gear, but the transmission seemed to step down on its own... was in 6th gear, then dropped down to 5th then 4th without my intervention.

Hope to finally take the AS out next week. More to come....
Old 06-24-2020, 04:56 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Finally hauled a trailer with the F250 7.3L gasser... but not my Airstream yet. Had to take a U-Haul from Houston to Colorado. About 3100 lbs trailer weight (per the Cat Scale... I was just curious). Due to limitations of the U-Haul we drove around 60 mph the whole way. The first day we got about 13 mpg, then it dropped steadily down to just below 12 mpg by the time we arrived... but the wind was horrendous (though maybe should have helped... at least part of the time is was a tail wind). But the truck handled great, it was a very smooth ride, and I had plenty of acceleration and power. And the wind was not noticeable (until we got out of the truck!).

I was especially pleased going down Raton Pass... the 10-speed transmission in tow-haul mode really kept the speed in check (even without cruise control on). I barely touched the breaks on the way down. I was ready to manually drop down in gear, but the transmission seemed to step down on its own... was in 6th gear, then dropped down to 5th then 4th without my intervention.

Hope to finally take the AS out next week. More to come....

Have you used premium fuel towing? The last time I got gasoline I opted to to try 93 octane probably about 12 gallons. That might have helped with the towing mpg. Iíve tried the tow haul and it seems to only go up to 7th gear and stay there, so Iíve been not using it. Iíll try the tow haul when we leave here as itís very hilly and curvy and average of 30 miles an hour. The 10 speed is great it downshifts when it needs to going up and I just take my foot off the pedal going down.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Quote:
Have you used premium fuel towing? The last time I got gasoline I opted to to try 93 octane probably about 12 gallons. That might have helped with the towing mpg. Iíve tried the tow haul and it seems to only go up to 7th gear and stay there, so Iíve been not using it. Iíll try the tow haul when we leave here as itís very hilly and curvy and average of 30 miles an hour. The 10 speed is great it downshifts when it needs to going up and I just take my foot off the pedal going down.
Good question, COASTER... I did put in one tank of 89 octane at about 1000 miles on the truck, as I noticed a small amount of engine knocking. The higher octane did improve the knock at the time. But I haven't noticed any more knocking since then, as the engine has gotten more "broken in", and I didn't use any higher octane fuel while towing last week. But it is worth trying. I've read that higher octane can help towing mileage, but I'm not quite sure what the mechanism for that improvement would be. Perhaps better combustion efficiency with the engine under load? I'm not sure. But maybe I will try it next week when we take the AS out.

I do agree with you on the 10-speed transmission. Tow-Haul mode does limit the use of the upper gears (and hence sacrifices some fuel efficiency, I guess). I used tow-haul mode while towing last week, and probably shouldn't have on the flat portions of the trip (Texas Panhandle, for example). But also agree that the 10-speed does do well in controlling speed going downhill and adjusts quickly and smoothly going up hill. So far very pleased with it.

Safe travels. I'll update more after taking the AS out next week.