Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
2020/2021 GM Trucks and Cameras

For those of you who have the camera package on their 2020 (and 2021) trucks that support the 'invisible trailer' option, getting the camera is well worth it! Just got back from a nice 4th of July camping trip and used the camera for the first time. I have to say, it is way better than the one that came with my Airstream, but then again hardwired vs. RF, so it's not exactly going to be a fair fight.

This is in the 'invisible trailer' mode, you can also just have it display everything on the screen without it having to stitch together the various cameras.

-Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	invisotrailer.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	372106  
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I fully agree with you. The HD "invisible trailer" view is especially handy for negotiating heavy traffic conditions when passing through big cities. I find the HD rear view very useful for backing into tight spaces as well.

jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Txwildcat

2020 33' Classic
San Antonio , TX
Cameras

Where did you buy the cameras?
Txwildcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txwildcat99 View Post
Where did you buy the cameras?
I got mine from ShopChevyParts.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I was able to source mine locally from the GMC dealer. I bought mine in March (before everything came to a grinding halt), and at the time they had one of the only cameras around (due to the strike). At the time, I didn't know they had the camera in stock, I just wanted to use my GM points which gave me $100 off the MSRP.

I do have one issue with it, which apparently I'm not supposed to have, which is every time I turn off the power to the truck, it wants to recalibrate the image (at least I'm being told that this isn't supposed to happen. I swear I read that it would recalibrate every time). Jay? Does this happen on yours?

One other advantage is you clear up your dash. I wasn't a fan of that monitor on the dash and with GM getting rid of one of the 12v plugs, and only having a single 12v accessory plug, I found I had to buy a 'y' power cable to plug two items into the single plug, which isn't ideal. So, removing the external screen from the dash is nice in my case.

In fact, the only remaining thing I have an external display for is the tire pressure, which is going away when I install the TPM in each tire. They came as part of the truck accessories which I wouldn't have gotten, but hard to take that off when it's ordered with the truck, and I found out later that they actually end up costing more when purchased later.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I do have one issue with it, which apparently I'm not supposed to have, which is every time I turn off the power to the truck, it wants to recalibrate the image (at least I'm being told that this isn't supposed to happen. I swear I read that it would recalibrate every time). Jay? Does this happen on yours?
Full disclosure: I'm frustrated by my challenges with this nascent technology. Initially, it worked perfectly. Then is started having more and more hiccups before it finally gave up the ghost for good.

My truck has been in the shop 4 times for this (including twice with my trailer attached), and my dealer is working with GM engineers to figure out what is happening. I have finally been given a diagnosis, and GM tells me I have a camera that isn't working as designed (duh), so they are replacing the camera under warranty for me. That is happening as we speak.

Meanwhile, I've been doing my own investigation and I have learned that GM is now on the 7th different part number for the camera, with the previous 6 versions no longer available. I have been told that there were some problems with the early versions of the camera for the 2020 HD trucks, and some of us have had problems getting the cameras to work. Some of these problems include screen freeze, black screen, intermittency, high latency, and "not remembering calibration". With fingers crossed, I expect this new 7th version to have all the bugs worked out.

Quote:
I bought mine in March
Based on this timeframe it would appear that, like me, you've been an unwilling Beta Tester for the GM Auxiliary Trailer Camera. Take the camera back to your dealer and kindly ask them to replace it under warranty with the current part number (84946379). Then "all your wildest dreams will come true"!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
Quote:
For those of you who have the camera package on their 2020 (and 2021) trucks that support the 'invisible trailer' option, getting the camera is well worth it!
That's good to hear! Can you share details regarding where and how you mounted it and ran the cable?
Donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Jay, we'll see if our GM friend on the other forum has any insight into the camera differences.

I've got to go back to the trailer today and put out the solar panel (keeps the batteries topped off), I'll take some photos. But Donutboy, I did what some others have done and cheated by running the cable under the trailer. I did what somebody else on the GM truck forum suggested and put the cable into a 'soft' electrical conduit housing. This way you don't damage the cable. Instead of drilling a hole into the back of the Airstream, I used some permanent double-sided outdoor tape made by 3M. Thus far it seems to work without a hitch.

-Wayne
Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutboy View Post
That's good to hear! Can you share details regarding where and how you mounted it and ran the cable?
I went the permanent route and ran ran the cable through the inside of my trailer. As I have a FC 30Bunk, the cable is completely hidden (under beds, under shower floor, behind cabinets and lounges) until it pops out in the front bedroom. There is a piece of aluminum along the floor that hides the cable which perfectly matches the walls. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't realize this was added later. In my install, you only see the camera on the back and the cable coming out with my 7-way.

While this looks awesome, it's become a problem as I need to replace the camera and cable at the tune of a few hours labor. I'm currently negotiating reimbursement with GM, and we're moving in a direction that I think we can all be happy with.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Jay, I hope the new camera does the trick and GM ponies up some reimbursement for your effort.

I think the rear trailer camera view on the dash display is just brilliant. That said, I assume the navigation app shares the dash display with the trailer cam? If so, that gets a little tricky when you’re on the interstate in the middle lane and need to move over (and see your exit on the NAV).

Dan Edmunds had a great solution to this problem. He suggested turning the windshield mounted rear view mirror into a display and sending the trailer camera to it. The rear view mirror is worthless when towing anyway. Go to 4:28 of this video to hear it: https://youtu.be/E3de_70FD4k. This way you could have your cake and eat it too!

I was disappointed that RAM delayed the release of their integrated trailer camera on the 2019 models. It’s just now showing up in production.

Keep us up to date on your progress.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
I think the rear trailer camera view on the dash display is just brilliant. That said, I assume the navigation app shares the dash display with the trailer cam? If so, that gets a little tricky when you’re on the interstate in the middle lane and need to move over (and see your exit on the NAV).
Yes, auxiliary trailer camera and navigation share the same screen with each other, as well as the TPMS view. Everything is a compromise. As long as I use the built-in navigation, driving directions are projected in the heads-up display. Obviously, this doesn't work for Waze or Google Maps or Apple Maps or....

I find this compromise easy to swallow.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Trailer Length Limit

I too was excited about this but soon learned that it does not work with trailers longer than 30'. Oh well, so much for our 33' Classic.

On more positive note. The 2020 GMC HD is an awesome truck. GM really leapt ahead of the competition this time. I'm sure Ford and Dodge will catch up quickly. Great to have such competition creating awesome tow vehicles.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
You're In Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonJ View Post
I too was excited about this but soon learned that it does not work with trailers longer than 30'. Oh well, so much for our 33' Classic.

On more positive note. The 2020 GMC HD is an awesome truck. GM really leapt ahead of the competition this time. I'm sure Ford and Dodge will catch up quickly. Great to have such competition creating awesome tow vehicles.
Not so fast, Bryon...Your comment only implies to the invisible trailer witchcraft; the auxiliary camera can work fine as a standard rear view camera for very long trailers. The harness is 59 feet long.

But it gets better: According to a GM employee that we interact with on a different site, the real maximum trailer length is around 10 meters (32.8'). This guy has set up more than 50 invisible trailers, so I trust he knows what he is talking about. He has even offered up the settings that need to be tweaked if the trailer is a bit longer. The invisible trailer view works great for my 30-footer (reality: 30'10"), so I am confident that you could make that magic work for your 33 without much fuss.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
I ordered the camera from ShopChevyParts.com back in March. It's been back-ordered since then. I just received an email from them today that the camera is back in production.

Quote:
The latest update from GM is that the Invisible Trailer Camera Package (Part # 84876818) is back in production. Additionally, the part number has been changed from 84876818 to 84946379. You do NOT need to do anything as we will update the part number on your order as we receive the new part. We've been informed that although the updated part is in production, it may be several weeks before we receive our orders. GM is legally obligated to fulfill back orders for vehicles ordered with the factory option (RPO TRO - LPO, Auxiliary Trailer Camera, wired) first. We will update you the same day we receive an update from GM on shipment of our orders.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Not so fast, Bryon...Your comment only implies to the invisible trailer witchcraft; the auxiliary camera can work fine as a standard rear view camera for very long trailers. The harness is 59 feet long.

But it gets better: According to a GM employee that we interact with on a different site, the real maximum trailer length is around 10 meters (32.8'). This guy has set up more than 50 invisible trailers, so I trust he knows what he is talking about. He has even offered up the settings that need to be tweaked if the trailer is a bit longer. The invisible trailer view works great for my 30-footer (reality: 30'10"), so I am confident that you could make that magic work for your 33 without much fuss.
Thanks for the feedback, however one more issue I did not mention. The camera would have to be mounted to the rear window to meet the GM specifications. Of course there are ways to do this, just not sure I want to go that route.

I would appreciate it if you could share the settings you referenced. I am still considering it as I really don't care for the stock Voyager camera.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonJ View Post
I would appreciate it if you could share the settings you referenced. I am still considering it as I really don't care for the stock Voyager camera.
I'm not sure you need to mount on the window. In fact, I don't think that's true at all. It's supposed to be aligned with the tailgate camera, but there's a pretty big area they allow you to use for it. On my 27FB, it should have been where they stick the flying cloud, but I didn't want to mount the camera there, but directly underneath was within the specs and does work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cameramount.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	372343  
Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
camera Location

Quote:
I'm not sure you need to mount on the window. In fact, I don't think that's true at all. It's supposed to be aligned with the tailgate camera, but there's a pretty big area they allow you to use for it. On my 27FB, it should have been where they stick the flying cloud, but I didn't want to mount the camera there, but directly underneath was within the specs and does work.
You clearly have yours mounted much lower than I would have thought - if it works, it works!

The GM specifications call for the camera to be mounted ideally 4" above the tailgate camera, which for me would be 57" with the trailer attached. The spec also says that the window is +/- 8" so I could get away with 49", which still puts me at the window. However, given that yours works lower than this, it may be worth a try.

I'd like to get more info on the settings you referenced, as our trailer is 33' plus 8" for the AirSafe Hitch, so call it 34'. I don't want to buy it if its not going to work. That said, if someone else has figured it out and I can get that info, I'd be willing to take a chance at it.

Thanks

Bryon
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We ordered the GM trailer camera when we purchased the the 2020 Silverado 2500 on March 9th of this year. It has been on backorder since. We plan to depart on a cross country trip next week, so it looks like we will be traveling without the see through camera. I am somewhat disappointed, but will still enjoy all the other camera features that the new truck gives us. I particularly like the trailer light test and the side view camera image to see where the trailer tires are when turning a corner.

Thank you all for the information about mounting the camera when I do get it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thank you all for the information about mounting the camera when i get do get it.

For those of us who were early adopters, the instructions that came with the camera did not make for a professional presentation. The instructions they gave me must have been a photocopy of a photocopy of a spy photo taken at night from a moving car at a distance of 800 yards though a fine-mesh chainlink fence.

The current version can be found here. They must be ready to sell these things for real.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Back Up Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
For those of us who were early adopters, the instructions that came with the camera did not make for a professional presentation. The instructions they gave me must have been a photocopy of a photocopy of a spy photo taken at night from a moving car at a distance of 800 yards though a fine-mesh chainlink fence.

The current version can be found here. They must be ready to sell these things for real.
This version is slightly newer than the one the dealer gave me. It gives 32' as a max versus the 30' max in my copy.

Question: What do you do for a back up camera? Do you still the Airstream installed Voyager? Or will the GM accessory camera switch from transparent view to a more traditional back up view?