Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Sounds like a good decision. Power, bigger brakes, control, more payload are all good things! I use my F250 for daily driver also; fuel costs are around 30 cents/gal higher in Texas for diesel, but here in MT for some reason they are about same as regular...$2.99....crazy! Service costs are much higher for oil changes and fuel filter changes, plus cost of DEF....but love the power, braking, engine brake, and payload, and control pulling our 28'FC!
i've really enjoyed hearing your advice on other threads on this forum, so it means a lot that you chimed in on my decision to go this direction.

i live in southern CA. i don't think the diesel prices are that bad here. and i can handle occasionally having to deal with DEF fluid...so all minor trad-offs.

thanks!
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
The specs on these for "payload" are not accurate at all...be aware...your actual payload will be on the doorjamb...that's the downside of buying new...but you should be in the 2000lb range which is good unless your planning on a "topper" and slide out....you may want to wait till yours arrives...but to be sure, check out a couple dealer lots on individual Rams similar to what you want to see what the doorjamb sticker says..
yeah, i'm coming to find that out

i'll be stopping in to the local dealer myself tomorrow and will have a closer look at those door jams.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Rose View Post
We love our Ram 2500 and use an aluminum tool box in the back bed to store our Honda generator and necessary tools etc. Less weight than having a bed topper. Weight is everything.
We haul a 30 foot Airstream Excella and have never had any complaints. Had a Chevy Silverado before but like the Ram sooo much better. The cab is very spacious with excess room for gear if needed........
thanks Sharon Rose. i have a Honda generator too...and having a truck bed to store that in is a definite plus. i'm all about the weight as well, but i want to store the stuff that i've been having to in the AS...like camping chairs and the like...in the bed of that truck. so some thought to security is needed for our situation. so , i'm probably going to go with the lighter option of the tonneau cover that the shell.

i'm glad you love your 2500, too!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMac13 View Post
Speaking from my experience owning two 2500s with the 6.7L Cummins...

1. I would say absolutely nothing. Diesel prices are better in some areas, worse in others, but biodiesel has been working for us for quite a while on our 2500 and the prices are quite steady! The reason I picked diesel was just the sheer amount of time and mileage they will last. If you want a long term rig, I would take the Cummins over the Hemi absolutely any day of the week!

See:

2. I can't speak to this much, being that our bikes and toolbox wouldn't fit in a shell cover, though some people swear by them. We use the interior loops in the bed to lock things down, though your mileage may vary!

3. I would reach out to Canopy World or the like and see if they have ideas. I haven't had a Rambox, but I wouldn't mind it. Most of that edge storage wouldn't be taken up by anything but those boxes if I had them fitted, so I'd have gone with them if it were an option for us on the lot! If I had the boxes, I wouldn't go with a canopy, though this is just for our uses!

4. We purchased for our "forever truck" and it seems to me that if a dealer wants to make it happen, they'll make it happen. I would advise you to get online quotes though, that has really helped out in the past. I've found dealers are a lot more transparent when you have another dealer's quote to check against!

6. I use my truck as a daily driver, and it really isn't a big deal at all. The difference is that once every 10k miles or so, I have to fill up with DEF. It's not a big deal, and sounds scary online. People have opinions. It's not a big deal at all, and cleans up the exhaust.

7. 4x4 is the only way to go for us, though we didn't opt for the megacab. It wasn't a difference in how we use it, even with rear passengers. And there IS a difference in how the seats fold. Make sure you compare!! We went with the standard 4 door, and this time the 8' bed. Granted, we are purchasing this truck, so we wanted a long-term rig.

8. Enjoy your new truck.
thanks for that video, it's always nice to see some testimonials. thanks for all the well thought out input ,too.

online quotes work for me. actually, i never step into a dealer to buy a vehicle. to look or test drive...sure. but, never to buy. what i do , once i know exactly the type of car i want, is using online tools like car gurus, autotrader and truecar to see where the market is as to what's realistically a good deal. then i simply call as many dealers as i want, throughout CA and in nearby states, letting them know that i'm ready to take delivery today if they can reach the price i want. eventually one usually does. and if financing with them helps seal the deal ( and only if that interest rate works in my favor as well), i'll do that too. i do that paperwork online and i only come by to pick up the car. i've done it that way for the last 11 cars i've bought and never had to be burdened with the long wait out tactics that these dealers so often use.

we'll see if that works out this time

thanks for the reccomend on Canopy World, too. i'll pay them a visit.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Alumninaut the capacity information on all manufacturer sites are mythical at best. Attached is the door sticker for my new 3500 Longhorn Megacab, Cummins, 6.4' bed, single rear wheel. I have seen stickers for 2500 diesels that are less than 2000#. You will have about 800-900# more payload going with a gas engine model. Check the door sticker photos on the forums at www.hdrams.com. As you do your research take time to look at the door stickers on possible choices. Of if you get a VIN number for one from a dealer on the web you check that specific VIN number at https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and click on "look up my vehicle". Enter the VIN number and it will give you the weights for that specific vehicle. In my case the number is still about 200# higher than actual and higher than the door sticker.

Attachment 343216

I really wanted the Ram Boxes but finding a good cover is more difficult. They won't work with a camper shell. And the wouldn't work with adding Yakima type racks for transporting my bikes. Ended up with the normal bed and added a Retrax PowertraxPRO XR which has rails for the Yakima mounts.

Attachment 343217

First non GM vehicle I have ever owner and the interior and electronics are the best I have seen.

As to ride between a 2500/3500 I drove all three brands 2500/3500 back to back and honestly there wasn't much difference. The price between 2500/3500 is not that much and I don't worry about towing nor payload capacity.
WOW....thank you for that. i didn't realize that there was such a discrepancy. i'll be looking through those links you provided and get back to this thread.
thanks also for the recommend on the Ram brand. knowing what i know now, i'll be test driving the 3500 against the 2500. tomorrow as a matter of fact.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
The specs on these for "payload" are not accurate at all...be aware...your actual payload will be on the doorjamb...that's the downside of buying new...but you should be in the 2000lb range which is good unless your planning on a "topper" and slide out....you may want to wait till yours arrives...but to be sure, check out a couple dealer lots on individual Rams similar to what you want to see what the doorjamb sticker says..
You should download Ram's towing chart, a pdf document. It gives the ratings for all the different configurations and they are accurate for the stripped down versions of those configurations. Once you have the numbers for your configuration then subtract for the additional options you have. This should then come out close to the door sticker numbers. If you are not ordering the truck and buying off the lot then just look at the door sticker.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
My experience with Ram stated payload vs. door sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
thanks for all the replies so far...i knew that you all would illuminate me further on this subject.

Countryboy59, JDG, jeffmc306 as i was on Ram's site page for the 2019 Ram, for the Limited trim, 4x4 with the Mega Cab option it stated a payload capacity of 3240 ibs.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/compare/de...&variation=1,3

thanks to crispyboy i then googled for the info adding diesel to the search bar and found this...
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

looks like the payload capacity on that would be 2719 lbs. i had no idea that a diesel engine would cut into the payload to that degree. when you build it out and add that option, it lets you know a change in transmission, but not that.

again, thanks folks!
Aluminaut, you’re doing a great job of taking in all the advice! I’m sure you’ll find the right truck. I discovered the hard way that Ram’s online payload does not match the door sticker. There seems to be a bigger discrepancy on Ram 1500’s than 2500 & 3500 so that works in your favor.

It was Gypsydad that commented on a post of mine to check the door because my 1840# payload (from Ram) sounded high. He was right as usual! The door payload was 1220#. You cannot trust the Ram online numbers; always check the door. Power wagons are notoriously low on payload; some under 2000#.

By the way, I drove a ‘19 Ram 2500 Cummins and would take it in a heartbeat for the power and engine brake if it wasn’t another $10K. Plus, we’re not sure if what our needs will be in 3 years so playing it safe with the gas.

Good luck with your hunt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9395FE76-23F9-40C5-8B8A-65FA4537A2EC.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	343258   Click image for larger version

Name:	8668B973-A6FF-4ED1-B865-923B5DE3DDB5.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	343259  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Durham , North Carolina
2018 Ram 2500 + 2018 FC 25' FBQ

We have a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel and a 2018 25' FC. No regrets.

Lots of good information already shared, so I'll hit some highlights.

1. You'll love pulling with a diesel - especially with the engine brake. Mine pulls like there is nothing back there - and about 15 miles/gallon.

2. Always make sure to get fresh DEF fluid.

3. Learn to do your own maintenance if you can. You'll save money and put better filters on.

4. There's a section in the owners manual that tells you how long to let the engine idle after pulling hard (5 minutes on a 2018 after towing at max weight). This let's the internal components cool down.

5. Join The Diesel Register and read, read, read.

You'll love it.
RWTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I had a 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500 and mistakenly didn't get Ram Boxes --- stupid me --- one learns by one's mistakes.

I put 30K trouble-free miles on it towing an AS 27FB without any problems whatsoever. As others have said, "towing was like the trailer wasn't even there" although my mileage suffers; over 30K miles, I averaged 13.5. While in RV parks, I noticed a lot of drivers driving a Ram/Cummins 3500 and asked them "Why?" Their typically response, "Once you drive a 3500, you won't want to go back."

I talked with my local Ram dealer who made me a deal I couldn't say "No" to so I traded in my 2015 2500 for a 2018 3500 --- now with Ram Boxes. Again, no problems to date.

I looked at the 2018 GMC/Duramax/Allison and was very impressed, BUT:
1. Obviously, you can't get Ram Boxes on a GMC.
2. It would have cost me $5K more.
3. You can't get a 2018 GMX Denali in white, which is what I wanted, and Ram makes white as their standard color.

Another poster in this thread argues for a GMC/Duramax because of its Allison tranny, which I agree is first class. The Ram/Cummins 3500 has available, at a price, an Aisin tranny, which may be as good or better. The Aisin, however, only comes, as I recall, with a 3500, not with a 2500 --- another reason to get a 3500.

With the Ram Boxes, I got a tonneau cover for it, which works just fine. I use the bed for twin 2K generators, a gas tank for them, a water tank, a load of tools, dog food, lawn chairs, etc.

Have I mentioned that I think Ram Boxes are the cat's ass?
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I had a 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500 and mistakenly didn't get Ram Boxes --- stupid me --- one learns by one's mistakes.

I put 30K trouble-free miles on it towing an AS 27FB without any problems whatsoever. As others have said, "towing was like the trailer wasn't even there" although my mileage suffers; over 30K miles, I averaged 13.5. While in RV parks, I noticed a lot of drivers driving a Ram/Cummins 3500 and asked them "Why?" Their typically response, "Once you drive a 3500, you won't want to go back."

I talked with my local Ram dealer who made me a deal I couldn't say "No" to so I traded in my 2015 2500 for a 2018 3500 --- now with Ram Boxes. Again, no problems to date.

I looked at the 2018 GMC/Duramax/Allison and was very impressed, BUT:
1. Obviously, you can't get Ram Boxes on a GMC.
2. It would have cost me $5K more.
3. You can't get a 2018 GMX Denali in white, which is what I wanted, and Ram makes white as their standard color.

Another poster in this thread argues for a GMC/Duramax because of its Allison tranny, which I agree is first class. The Ram/Cummins 3500 has available, at a price, an Aisin tranny, which may be as good or better. The Aisin, however, only comes, as I recall, with a 3500, not with a 2500 --- another reason to get a 3500.

With the Ram Boxes, I got a tonneau cover for it, which works just fine. I use the bed for twin 2K generators, a gas tank for them, a water tank, a load of tools, dog food, lawn chairs, etc.

Have I mentioned that I think Ram Boxes are the cat's ass?
The Aisin transmission is, as you mentioned, a better transmission. It is reported to be 68% stronger than Ram's standard automatic transmission, plus it has power takeoff capability. It weighs a lot more so that will come off your payload limit. It is only available on the 3500. But you don't need it to tow a 10,000 lb Airstream. If you are towing 30,000 lbs then you should get it.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
2500 Mega Cab Cummins payload = 1743#

Check out this actual payload sicker of a 2019 2500 Mega Cab Cummins - 1743#

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?t....218/post-2162

Consider the 3500 at that point...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5CDFBA9-4ED1-4D0F-8246-688CF02A8E98.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	343265  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
....Consider the 3500 at that point...
yeah, this gives me a lot of pause. my Landcruiser is just 350# less than that. not worth the price and hassle of a move. i may have to consider the 3500 now. i'll be on the dealer lot tomorrow test driving the 3500 and looking at a lot of door jam stickers from 3500s and 2500s.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Aluminaut,
We've owned two RAMS, a 2015 3500 dually and a 2018 2500, both with Cummins engines. The 3500 was a longbed with AISN transmission and the 2500 is a short bed. We towed an 18,000# Fifth wheel with the dually and tow a 30' AS with the 2500. Both are 4x4 (can't seem get 2wd trucks buying off the lot anymore) Key differences include:
- Long bed takes ROOM to maneuver due to large turning circle. The large turning circle was an issue when trying to back the 38' fiver into some campsites as well as parking lot maneuvers.
- 2500's ride is rougher than 3500 -- I think mostly due to wheelbase difference.
- We did have several problems with the 3500's emission controls -- all covered under warranty. If you check out the RAM forums, they seem to have most of that worked out.
- 3500 had AISN tranny & 2500 has standard one (68RFE, I think). No problems with either one. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $3k for the AISN unless I was towing something really huge.
- 3500 had 4.11 gears and 2500 has 3.54 (or close to that) gears.
Both trucks seem to have software issues. Seems like something needs updating every time they go in for service.
No rambox experience but that would have been useful pulling the fiver (not available on dually).
Both truck were crew cabs, no mega-cab experience either.
Agree with pretty much everything else said by others above.
Diesel is excellent for towing, love the torque and exhaust brake on mountain roads. It does cost more to buy & maintain but the performance is worth the cost for me.

One item I've not seen mentioned by others to date is axle ratios. That has a huge impact on your towing ability and fuel mileage. Be sure to consider that in your searching. I'm very pleased with the fuel mileage on the 2500 with the higher axle ratio but it does need to downshift on some mountain roads when towing. The dually was a towing beast with the 4.11 axle ratio and handled that big trailer as easily as the 2500 does the AS.

Door sticker on my 2500 crew cab short bed Laramie is 1876# which works for me.

Happy hunting!!!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
yeah, this gives me a lot of pause. my Landcruiser is just 350# less than that. not worth the price and hassle of a move. i may have to consider the 3500 now. i'll be on the dealer lot tomorrow test driving the 3500 and looking at a lot of door jam stickers from 3500s and 2500s.
Nothing against the Dodge Cummins 3/4T or 1T and they are a bit cheaper then GM or Ford. The creature comfort features are "logical" and the other 2 (GM/Ford) could do well by incorporating some of these. That being said, if money is not the driving issue, you would do yourself well to test driving the other brands also...I even took one home overnight at dealers suggestion before settling on the newer F250 I now have. In the end, I don't think you are making a bad decision with any of these larger TV's. Just don't get hung up on features and ride, and overlook payload!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
You should download Ram's towing chart, a pdf document. It gives the ratings for all the different configurations and they are accurate for the stripped down versions of those configurations. Once you have the numbers for your configuration then subtract for the additional options you have. This should then come out close to the door sticker numbers. If you are not ordering the truck and buying off the lot then just look at the door sticker.
I have looked at the "charts" on line including when I was specing out a new F150. Found the data not accurate. ,I even went over the RAM chart with the dealer who swore his RAM's were 1600lbs payload...there I was, arguing that his specs were wrong...I challenged him so we spec'd out one of their nicely equipped 1500 RAMs on their lot on paper using their spec data, then went and looked at the real deal... It was off by 400lbs. He got his manager involved and they swore the specs were right, until I showed them the door jam. Surprised look?? yep!

Problem with the spec chart on line is it does not show you weights for sunroof, subwoofer, leather, etc..so subtracting is a "swag" based on package, but not same as actual door jam. That's my experience... YMMV as they say!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
I have looked at the "charts" on line including when I was specing out a new F150. Found the data not accurate. ,I even went over the RAM chart with the dealer who swore his RAM's were 1600lbs payload...there I was, arguing that his specs were wrong...I challenged him so we spec'd out one of their nicely equipped 1500 RAMs on their lot on paper using their spec data, then went and looked at the real deal... It was off by 400lbs. He got his manager involved and they swore the specs were right, until I showed them the door jam. Surprised look?? yep!

Problem with the spec chart on line is it does not show you weights for sunroof, subwoofer, leather, etc..so subtracting is a "swag" based on package, but not same as actual door jam. That's my experience... YMMV as they say!
I believe the spec chart is accurate. When you add in all the options you should come close to the door sticker.

Even the sales brochure is accurate when you read all the tiny footnotes. The brochure will give the payload for the lightest configuration with no options. The footnote will say "when properly equipped". The salesman is the problem, not the published data.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #37
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Even my door sticker was pessimistic by about 100#. Went directly to the CAT scales after delivery. Topped the fuel tank, def said full. Payload at the CAT scale 3990. Sticker 3885.

Really the best weigh (pun intended) if you are buying off the lot and have any doubts about capacity have the dealer fill the fuel and def and take it to a scale. Dealer doesn't want to do that and you are serious about buying that truck that day and the still won't do it, walk away. If you have doubts and you buy only to find out the facts probably not much you can do unless you are persistent like JeffMC.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I can tell you my salesperson is very unhappy with Ram Configuration Tool he’s told to use came up with a payload number of 1840#, made the deal with us (based on that number), dealer traded and delivered the truck only to find the actual door sticker is 1220#.

That’s a 34% difference in actual vs. stated payload. He opened a case with Ram Corp to get an answer because his reputation is on the line here. To his credit he’s trying to make things right by getting FCA to authorize a buy-back.

So to your point, yes it’s partly the salesperson’s fault because they’re not checking payload door stickers but the tool or their process has a problem.

The other thing to remember is we’re all enthusiasts and know more about trucks than most salespeople. To us it’s a hobby, to them it’s a paycheck. Some are really into trucks but some used to sell mattresses...
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #39
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Don't buy anywhere else than the Fleet guy at Longbeach Ram. Best deal in CA. 2016 3500 MEGA, great truck, but the specified oil change interval is 15k miles, 500 hours of driving, or 6 months, which ever first. I'd love to find a dealer oil change for $85.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Don’t know if anyone mentioned this already but the difference between mega cab and extended cab is reclining rear seats. Do you plan on having people in back that need the reclining rear seat? I would skip on that option as it costs you money... however, I have seen some awesome gun storage solutions back there.

Love my 2500 diesel. Wasn’t looking at ram originally but really glad I gave them a shot.

I can go into all sorts of opinions about leasing a vehicle vs buying. If you got the money, may as well use it though. Best of luck.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote