Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
2019 Ram 2500 questions and advice

hi folks. i'm thinking about getting a Ram 2500 and since i've never owned a truck or a diesel vehicle i had some questions and could use some advice.

a little background. i currently have a 2019 25ft FC FB twin which is towed by my 2017 Toyota Landcruiser, which i LOVE. when i initially got into the airstream world with a 19ft trailer, it handled the job ok. not with the new 25ft, there are some concerns. i won't distract from the point of this thread as to what those are, the bottom line is that i've made up my mind to move to a vehicle with higher numbers in payload and tow capacity and not to mention something that's designed more for the job of towing.

so, having resigned to the idea of going to a pick up truck, i researched all the major brands and have settled on a 2019 Ram 2500 mega cab limited. the 3200lb payload capacity, the tech that's geared to towing, larger fuel tank...and the large rear passenger area with the fold down flat load area really won my family over.

my questions are...

1) what concerns should i have going with a diesel engine over a gas one.

2) i'd like to get a camper shell or a bed cover. what should i know starting to look for something like this? anything i should stay away from? the idea of storing my generators somewhere along with a load of other stuff....stuff i don't have to move out of my airstream when we set up camp is really appealing?

3) the truck has the Ramboxes, which i know cuts into your bed storage area, but i like the idea of it's utility. what do you all think? can i get a camper shell that could fit over it? while i know it may cancel out the usefulness of those boxes, i thought the idea of having that possibility in the future was a good thing.

4) i'm going to lease it. i like the idea of putting as little capital as possible into a vehicle.also...and this depends on the vehicle...sometimes the residual value works out right so it's worth buying.i worked my LC deal that way, and it would've been great but i have to let that go.... anyway, i don't want this to turn into a discussion about leasing.... so let's keep it on point. the point is that i heard residual values on heavy duty trucks are poor.....leading to larger monthly payments. now i'd work to get a lower selling price to help off set that...but you can only do so much. any truth to the horrible residual value?

5) i'm not in a rush to do this...which always works out in a buyer's favor. well, at least in the sense that your chances of getting screwed get lower. while i already have a dealer starting to offer me a trade in value....i'm likely going to take the time to sell privately. i have enough equity in my LC that i can get a significant sum back. enough so that , if the numbers are right, i can drive off with no additional money down.

6) is there anything else i should know about truck ownership?

7) this will be a 4X4 too...if that helps any.

8) lastly, this truck will NOT be a daily driver.

thanks so much for any advice or just stopping by and taking a look. whatever you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
3200 lb payload is probably a 3500 not a 2500 . You will have to get used to the extra power and torque. It will tow your airstream well. Maintenance on mine costs quite a bit more but if you don’t drive it daily that won’t be an issue. My 2500 gets used 10 times a year and stays in the garage on a battery maintainer when not in use.

Great truck, highly recommend. I wouldn’t lease though. If you’re not in a hurry save up and pay cash. You’ll be glad you did.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
My 2016 Ram 2500 diesel has simply been one off the best vehicles I have ever owned. No problems at all in 49,000 miles.
RamBox’s are awesome, the truck is easy to drive and I’d guess that you will love it.
I didn’t really expect my Ram to be as good as it is...
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
I agree with Countryboy 59 the payload sounds like the 3500. The Mega cab is great. It is a large truck so it needs some space to maneuver or to park. The RAMBOX,s are great as well.
I do not believe any one offers a camper top that you can use with the RAMBOX. A very powerful and smooth riding truck in the limited edition with the Bilstein shocks. Pulls our 33 nicely through the WV hills without complaint. 2019 should have a little more power. Only complaint is the number of recalls but I guess that is a good thing.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I agree with the other posters - a 2500 Diesel Mega is the heaviest combination. Payload will be closer to 2000# than 3000#. Frame of reference, a door sticker on a 2019 Ram 2500 gas 4x4 Crew Cab is ~ 3100#. Deduct about 900# payload when you add the Cummins.

We leased a 2019 Ram 1500 for the same reasons as yours but FCA was throwing incentives at them last December so payments were reasonable. We're negotiating with the dealer to buy back the 1500 because they sold it as 1840# payload when in fact the door sticker was 1220#. We'll replace it with a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie gas but payments are significantly more even though the window stickers are within $2K because FCA isn't offering any incentives.

Check out the HDRamForum for lots of great info about the trucks including a thread where owners are posting their door payload stickers. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php

You can lower your lease payment considerably by going with the 6.4 Hemi which has more than enough power to tow anything Airstream sells!

Happy Camping!
-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My opinion comes from using an older pickup truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
so, having resigned to the idea of going to a pick up truck, i researched all the major brands and have settled on a 2019 Ram 2500 mega cab limited. the 3200lb payload capacity, the tech that's geared to towing, larger fuel tank...and the large rear passenger area with the fold down flat load area really won my family over.
You should look forward to having a pickup truck for camping due to all the storage space in the bed. Camping can be a dirty, muddy activity. Wait until you camp in the rain and need a place to put all the nasty gear that gets wet.

my questions are...

Diesel engines have more expensive oil changes and are more expensive to fix. Otherwise you will really, really enjoy towing with it. The diesel is not a necessity for towing as the 2019 - Ram 2500/3500 will have an 8 speed transmission.

2) i'd like to get a camper shell or a bed cover. what should i know starting to look for something like this? anything i should stay away from? the idea of storing my generators somewhere along with a load of other stuff....stuff i don't have to move out of my airstream when we set up camp is really appealing?
My truck has an ARE camper shell with side "win-doors". I can access items from the side of the truck bed. Keeps all the camping stuff dry and helps some with theft. It is also great for wet dogs. I highly recommend a shell.

3) the truck has the Ramboxes, which i know cuts into your bed storage area, but i like the idea of it's utility. what do you all think? can i get a camper shell that could fit over it? while i know it may cancel out the usefulness of those boxes, i thought the idea of having that possibility in the future was a good thing.
Ram boxes are nice but you cannot have a camper shell. You could use a tonneau cover.

The 2500/250 will ride better than a 3500/350 in any brand. The 2500 will sit a tad lower to the ground. Check out the specs on Ram Body Builder site. I often load my truck heavy with firewood, camping supplies and a trailer. The truck doesn't care. My 2500 only has a 2200 lb payload - which is plenty for my needs. If I were hauling a motorcycle cross country with a trailer then I would opt for the 3500. It is likely that the heavy payload on the 2500 is only available on the truck with the HEMI gas motor. The diesel engine takes away a large portion of the payload in all the brands.

If you are putting this in a garage check all the dimensions of the door opening and length of the stall.

4x4 is a great option. You never know when you need it. It is also great if you ever camp off the beaten path. 4wd low is great for pulling a trailer up onto a high stack of blocks for leveling.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
juno beach , Florida
I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel that I used to pull my vintage 18' Airstream and loved everything about it and the diesel did offer better gas milage...

The only issue I had was all the emitions controls and systems that go into all the diesels...had lots of warning lights, fuel sensor lights, etc...I would up selling the truck as I got the sense it was going to be an ongoing problem...spoke to a few mechanics at the dealership, who also work in Ram diesels (cummings) and they mentioned similar issues due to over engineering on diesels...this may be specific to the diesel engine I had, so please take this with a grain of salt, but thought to provide my limited experience..
markdubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Love my 2500 Diesel, the biggest reason is ease of pulling up hills and for the exhaust brake when going down long hills. Might look at Dave Smith motors in Idaho, I was able to get nearly 25% of MSRP, and couldn't get others to come close (and they will pick you up at the airport i understand). I also pull a 25' FC and no problems.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
hi folks. i'm thinking about getting a Ram 2500 and since i've never owned a truck or a diesel vehicle i had some questions and could use some advice.

a little background. i currently have a 2019 25ft FC FB twin which is towed by my 2017 Toyota Landcruiser, which i LOVE. when i initially got into the airstream world with a 19ft trailer, it handled the job ok. not with the new 25ft, there are some concerns. i won't distract from the point of this thread as to what those are, the bottom line is that i've made up my mind to move to a vehicle with higher numbers in payload and tow capacity and not to mention something that's designed more for the job of towing.

my questions are...

4) i'm going to lease it. i like the idea of putting as little capital as possible into a vehicle.also...and this depends on the vehicle...sometimes the residual value works out right so it's worth buying.i worked my LC deal that way, and it would've been great but i have to let that go.... anyway, i don't want this to turn into a discussion about leasing.... so let's keep it on point. the point is that i heard residual values on heavy duty trucks are poor.....leading to larger monthly payments. now i'd work to get a lower selling price to help off set that...but you can only do so much. any truth to the horrible residual value?

5) i'm not in a rush to do this...which always works out in a buyer's favor. well, at least in the sense that your chances of getting screwed get lower. while i already have a dealer starting to offer me a trade in value....i'm likely going to take the time to sell privately. i have enough equity in my LC that i can get a significant sum back. enough so that , if the numbers are right, i can drive off with no additional money down.

thanks so much for any advice or just stopping by and taking a look. whatever you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a good decision. Power, bigger brakes, control, more payload are all good things! I use my F250 for daily driver also; fuel costs are around 30 cents/gal higher in Texas for diesel, but here in MT for some reason they are about same as regular...$2.99....crazy! Service costs are much higher for oil changes and fuel filter changes, plus cost of DEF....but love the power, braking, engine brake, and payload, and control pulling our 28'FC!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
thanks for all the replies so far...i knew that you all would illuminate me further on this subject.

Countryboy59, JDG, jeffmc306 as i was on Ram's site page for the 2019 Ram, for the Limited trim, 4x4 with the Mega Cab option it stated a payload capacity of 3240 ibs.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/compare/de...&variation=1,3

thanks to crispyboy i then googled for the info adding diesel to the search bar and found this...
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

looks like the payload capacity on that would be 2719 lbs. i had no idea that a diesel engine would cut into the payload to that degree. when you build it out and add that option, it lets you know a change in transmission, but not that.

again, thanks folks!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
thanks for all the replies so far...i knew that you all would illuminate me further on this subject.

Countryboy59, JDG, jeffmc306 as i was on Ram's site page for the 2019 Ram, for the Limited trim, 4x4 with the Mega Cab option it stated a payload capacity of 3240 ibs.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/compare/de...&variation=1,3

thanks to crispyboy i then googled for the info adding diesel to the search bar and found this...
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

looks like the payload capacity on that would be 2719 lbs. i had no idea that a diesel engine would cut into the payload to that degree. when you build it out and add that option, it lets you know a change in transmission, but not that.

again, thanks folks!
The specs on these for "payload" are not accurate at all...be aware...your actual payload will be on the doorjamb...that's the downside of buying new...but you should be in the 2000lb range which is good unless your planning on a "topper" and slide out....you may want to wait till yours arrives...but to be sure, check out a couple dealer lots on individual Rams similar to what you want to see what the doorjamb sticker says..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Rutherfordton , North Carolina
We love our Ram 2500 and use an aluminum tool box in the back bed to store our Honda generator and necessary tools etc. Less weight than having a bed topper. Weight is everything.
We haul a 30 foot Airstream Excella and have never had any complaints. Had a Chevy Silverado before but like the Ram sooo much better. The cab is very spacious with excess room for gear if needed.

Happy Trails. I too say do not lease. Besides, most contracts limit your yearly mileage and depending on how many trips you intend to take, you may pay out the wazoo at the end of your lease for going over your allotment. They really sock it to you then.
Sharon Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:

my questions are...

Speaking from my experience owning two 2500s with the 6.7L Cummins...

1. I would say absolutely nothing. Diesel prices are better in some areas, worse in others, but biodiesel has been working for us for quite a while on our 2500 and the prices are quite steady! The reason I picked diesel was just the sheer amount of time and mileage they will last. If you want a long term rig, I would take the Cummins over the Hemi absolutely any day of the week!

See:

2. I can't speak to this much, being that our bikes and toolbox wouldn't fit in a shell cover, though some people swear by them. We use the interior loops in the bed to lock things down, though your mileage may vary!

3. I would reach out to Canopy World or the like and see if they have ideas. I haven't had a Rambox, but I wouldn't mind it. Most of that edge storage wouldn't be taken up by anything but those boxes if I had them fitted, so I'd have gone with them if it were an option for us on the lot! If I had the boxes, I wouldn't go with a canopy, though this is just for our uses!

4. We purchased for our "forever truck" and it seems to me that if a dealer wants to make it happen, they'll make it happen. I would advise you to get online quotes though, that has really helped out in the past. I've found dealers are a lot more transparent when you have another dealer's quote to check against!

6. I use my truck as a daily driver, and it really isn't a big deal at all. The difference is that once every 10k miles or so, I have to fill up with DEF. It's not a big deal, and sounds scary online. People have opinions. It's not a big deal at all, and cleans up the exhaust.

7. 4x4 is the only way to go for us, though we didn't opt for the megacab. It wasn't a difference in how we use it, even with rear passengers. And there IS a difference in how the seats fold. Make sure you compare!! We went with the standard 4 door, and this time the 8' bed. Granted, we are purchasing this truck, so we wanted a long-term rig.

8. Enjoy your new truck.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Alumninaut the capacity information on all manufacturer sites are mythical at best. Attached is the door sticker for my new 3500 Longhorn Megacab, Cummins, 6.4' bed, single rear wheel. I have seen stickers for 2500 diesels that are less than 2000#. You will have about 800-900# more payload going with a gas engine model. Check the door sticker photos on the forums at www.hdrams.com. As you do your research take time to look at the door stickers on possible choices. Of if you get a VIN number for one from a dealer on the web you check that specific VIN number at https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and click on "look up my vehicle". Enter the VIN number and it will give you the weights for that specific vehicle. In my case the number is still about 200# higher than actual and higher than the door sticker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6431.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	343216

I really wanted the Ram Boxes but finding a good cover is more difficult. They won't work with a camper shell. And the wouldn't work with adding Yakima type racks for transporting my bikes. Ended up with the normal bed and added a Retrax PowertraxPRO XR which has rails for the Yakima mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6524.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	343217

First non GM vehicle I have ever owner and the interior and electronics are the best I have seen.

As to ride between a 2500/3500 I drove all three brands 2500/3500 back to back and honestly there wasn't much difference. The price between 2500/3500 is not that much and I don't worry about towing nor payload capacity.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Peter D

2019 27' Globetrotter
San Luis Obispo , California
Dodge Tow Vehicle and Options

Aluminaut-
I have yet to pick up my Globetrotter 27FB (tomorrow) but have had two previous trailers that I've towed with my 2002 Dodge, used almost weekly for business travel and lodging, and just sold my previous trailer. I look forward to the towing experience of an Airstream.

My opinion is to always sell private party vs trade-in because you will sometimes get 2X the money if you are willing to deal with people coming to see your vehicle.

I love Diesel tow vehicles due to their torque ratings and reputation for decent fuel economy compared to gasoline. They are legendary, especially the Cummins, for longevity and dependability. My Dodge Ram 2500 (460 lbs of torque/235 horsepower) is 17 years old but I paid cash for it and it was under $20,000 to purchase. It is in excellent condition, luxurious, dependable and in great shape. Older diesels can be quite noisy, which some people may object to. You may have to add features that newer vehicles have like Nav screens and XM Radio, which I have done, but saving $45-50k by buying a pre-owned vehicle is materially important.

I had considered a new GM or Dodge but the cost is outrageous I found after hunting during this past year- the equivalent truck is between $65-$70,000, three times what I paid, although as low as $50,000 for something very basic. I saved the money avoiding a truck purchase, and bought an Airstream, deciding to put a leather interior in the truck to upgrade the level of luxury.

The Longbed truck is more stable than shortbeds, also handy for the motorcycles and gear I carry, which are locked in place with heavy cable and padlock combinations. I don't have a tonneau or shell because the bikes require that I stand in the bed for loading and limit many large objects- and also block the rearward view from the cab.

Anything Else about Truck Ownership? If your neighbors find out you own a truck, who do you think they will ask when it's time to move a sofa or take a refrigerator to the dump? Just sayin.
MetalMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
My 2 Cents

I currently own the Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel with the automatic and my son has the GMC Duramax with the Allison automatic. If I were purchasing another pickup it would be the GMC. The Duramax is as powerful as the Cummins and maintenance is about the same and both are great engines. The Allison automatic is the best transmission hands down. Drop the drain plug and replace the spin-on filter and your ready to go. Allison has been around for a long time and they are bullet proof.

Also, go with the long bed. If you don't, you'll wish you had!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
2500 Ram

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. I pull a FC27 fbt. I hardly know the trailer is behind me even in high winds in Texas. I bought it for the power and I trust the Cummins diesel more than the others. I also went with the diesel for easy fill ups in the truck stops rather than gas lanes.
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdubin View Post
..........The only issue I had was all the emitions controls and systems that go into all the diesels...had lots of warning lights, fuel sensor lights, etc...I would up selling the truck as I got the sense it was going to be an ongoing problem...spoke to a few mechanics at the dealership, who also work in Ram diesels (cummings) and they mentioned similar issues due to over engineering on diesels...this may be specific to the diesel engine I had, so please take this with a grain of salt, but thought to provide my limited experience..
thanks for the warning, markdubin...i figured if there were any reliability issues at all with a truck like this it would probably be with the electrical and tech stuff. but it's always a trade-off, isn't it? here i'm expecting to have a lot more gains on the towing end of things to offset any minor....hopefully minor inconveniences that could go wrong on the electrical end.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Love my 2500 Diesel, the biggest reason is ease of pulling up hills and for the exhaust brake when going down long hills. Might look at Dave Smith motors in Idaho, I was able to get nearly 25% of MSRP, and couldn't get others to come close (and they will pick you up at the airport i understand). I also pull a 25' FC and no problems.
thanks for the recommendation and advice. while i live in California, i have bought vehicles out of state before in pursuit of a better deal. i'll look them up.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
My opinion comes from using an older pickup truck.........
[QUOTE/] ....You should look forward to having a pickup truck for camping due to all the storage space in the bed. Camping can be a dirty, muddy activity. Wait until you camp in the rain and need a place to put all the nasty gear that gets wet.[/QUOTE]

i never thought of myself as a truck guy...but having done about 5 trips in my AS already, i can already see those benefits...an am really actually excited by them....of having a truck bed. for all those reasons you mention you are absolutely right.

[QUOTE/]....Diesel engines have more expensive oil changes and are more expensive to fix. Otherwise you will really, really enjoy towing with it. The diesel is not a necessity for towing as the 2019 - Ram 2500/3500 will have an 8 speed transmission. [/QUOTE]

from what i'm hearing, locally it looks like the dealership charges around 85$ for an oil change. given the rate i'd be driving it by, that could look like a once a year cost. i'd like to look into learning to do those oil changes myself, if possible. however i'm not a 100% sold on diesel yet. now knowing how much weight a diesel engine can cut into my payload capacity, i may give a second thought as to a gas engine. i'd have to look into the mileage on that....but i'm still leaning diesel.

[QUOTE/]....My truck has an ARE camper shell with side "win-doors". I can access items from the side of the truck bed. Keeps all the camping stuff dry and helps some with theft. It is also great for wet dogs. I highly recommend a shell. [/QUOTE]

i'd like the shell, too...but i'd like those ramboxes more i think. that and the possible weight of a camper shell is leading me to a tonneau cover solution ( as you mentioned). i believe there is some out there that may fit a bed with ramboxes.

btw, thanks for ALL your advice and input...including the measuring of the garage clearance. my cars are all usually garaged. but i have an 82" tall opening....looks like the 2500 height is 81". sounds like a tight fit, but i don't think that number includes the shark fin on the roof....so sadly, i might have to leave it out on the driveway. the only drawback of going with this truck that i can think of.