Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
One thing to remember about parking in a garage is that if you take a different route and do not get the Ram Boxes and go with a standard bed and camper shell - the truck has a certain amount of rake built in (rear sits higher than the front).
One option available is an air suspension with an alternate ride height - where you can lower the rear of the truck a bit for loading, hooking up a trailer, etc...
I would definitely look into the air suspension option as the whole truck sits a tad lower than the standard suspension. If ease of getting in/out of the truck is high on your list you may consider the Amp Research automatic running boards. These are supposed to deploy lower than a standard running board.
that's a great point. auto level rear air suspension is a must-have feature for me....or at least it was. it's hard to find one on a lot that has that OR to find it with most of the options i want configured with it. so now i'm leaning towards ordering. however, i'm also second guessing if i need that simply because of the cost. it is a pricey option. i'm not getting a camper shell anymore, so is there any other reason that i should get this option other than that?

also, thanks for the recommendation on the Amp Research running boards. i'll look into those.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #62
2020 Classic 33
 
Box Elder , South Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,731
Images: 1
Aluminaut if you go with a Longhorn or Limited they both have active noise reduction in the cabin through sound system. My Longhorn cabin is about 3db quieter than the GMC Canyon Denali Diesel that I replaced.

In regards to the air ride I didn't find anyone that had one on the lot. Air suspension is only for the back, not all 4 corners like they have on the 1500 Ram's. I decided not to add it when I ordered my truck since I couldn't get enough detain about how it would improve the ride. Mine rides great once I adjusted the tire pressures to actual vehicle weight rather than the max sidewall pressure that was set when I picked it up. Now that was a ride full of vibrations and harshness until I made the adjustments to pressure.

Running boards on the if added in an option package are the power retracting boards like the Amps. I think they are an option for Laramie, Longhorn and Limited.
__________________
Gary
2020 Classic 33 Twin, 2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn, ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Aluminaut if you go with a Longhorn or Limited they both have active noise reduction in the cabin through sound system. My Longhorn cabin is about 3db quieter than the GMC Canyon Denali Diesel that I replaced.

In regards to the air ride I didn't find anyone that had one on the lot. Air suspension is only for the back, not all 4 corners like they have on the 1500 Ram's. I decided not to add it when I ordered my truck since I couldn't get enough detain about how it would improve the ride. Mine rides great once I adjusted the tire pressures to actual vehicle weight rather than the max sidewall pressure that was set when I picked it up. Now that was a ride full of vibrations and harshness until I made the adjustments to pressure.

Running boards on the if added in an option package are the power retracting boards like the Amps. I think they are an option for Laramie, Longhorn and Limited.
i'm not surprised. when i test drove the Longhorn, it was a relatively quiet, comfortable ride. the Longhorn trim would be the lowest trim level i'd consider. so , i know we be happy with that interior noise level.

i'm aware that the air suspension system is on the rear only on the 2500 and 3500. the question is do i really need it. i have a nice helper airbag system in my Landcruiser now to help fight that say from towing my 25ft. but, the rear suspension on a 2500 or 3500 should be able to handle that 833lb tongue weight without any significant sag, right?

if so, are there any other reasons...other than height clearance...that a rear air suspension would be good for?

the deployable running boards are standard on a Limited, btw. optional on those other trim levels.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #64
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
i'm not surprised. when i test drove the Longhorn, it was a relatively quiet, comfortable ride. the Longhorn trim would be the lowest trim level i'd consider. so , i know we be happy with that interior noise level.

i'm aware that the air suspension system is on the rear only on the 2500 and 3500. the question is do i really need it. i have a nice helper airbag system in my Landcruiser now to help fight that say from towing my 25ft. but, the rear suspension on a 2500 or 3500 should be able to handle that 833lb tongue weight without any significant sag, right?

if so, are there any other reasons...other than height clearance...that a rear air suspension would be good for?

the deployable running boards are standard on a Limited, btw. optional on those other trim levels.
833 lbs will not make the rear end sag. My 2500 drops only about 2 1/2 inches with 1000 lbs of load on the ball, but the unloaded truck is 2 1/2 higher in the back, so with the load the truck is perfectly level.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
.... If ease of getting in/out of the truck is high on your list you may consider the Amp Research automatic running boards. These are supposed to deploy lower than a standard running board.
i did check out Amp's site. if i get the Limited trim, i'm going to just deal with the stock running boards. if i go for the other trim levels, i'll definitely consider these.

what i found really interesting on that site were these deployable footsteps on the side of your bed. just like what Ram makes for the rear bumper, but for either side of your truck be. now, that's cool. i'll definitely be getting these if all goes well with this Ram transaction.

https://www.amp-research.com/amp-res...de-step-access
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
i did check out Amp's site. if i get the Limited trim, i'm going to just deal with the stock running boards. if i go for the other trim levels, i'll definitely consider these.

what i found really interesting on that site were these deployable footsteps on the side of your bed. just like what Ram makes for the rear bumper, but for either side of your truck be. now, that's cool. i'll definitely be getting these if all goes well with this Ram transaction.

https://www.amp-research.com/amp-res...de-step-access
The running boards are fantastic! I had them on my F150 Platinum, which helped seal the deal when my wife saw them over a Lariat model with fixed running boards....also have them on my F250 King Ranch model. I know they are an option also to Ford and GM from the dealer...not sure if RAM offers.

Question on the RAM list you mention above; what do you think your gaining with the airbags?? Seem to remember watching a YouTube video discussing/showing they don't add any value when towing for control or payload, awhile back...interested to understand the value, if any.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #67
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The running boards are fantastic! I had them on my F150 Platinum, which helped seal the deal when my wife saw them over a Lariat model with fixed running boards....also have them on my F250 King Ranch model. I know they are an option also to Ford and GM from the dealer...not sure if RAM offers.

Question on the RAM list you mention above; what do you think your gaining with the airbags?? Seem to remember watching a YouTube video discussing/showing they don't add any value when towing for control or payload, awhile back...interested to understand the value, if any.
The airbags are part of a levelling system that is used to level the truck and/or trailer. You can even use the levelling system to hitch up the trailer without using the trailer jack.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #68
The Warthog
 
GSansoucie's Avatar
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 69
I am late to the game here. I really like my 2015 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew Cab. It has just the right amount of room and power to handle our 2019 FC 28RB and gear without overdoing it. At max, we tow about 3-5k a year (max). My normal fair weather commuter is my mini cooper, so I might put 10k a year on my truck. For that reason, Diesel would have been a waste for us. We really need to put 30k a year on it to make it worth while. Once we go full time in about 5 years, I will probably go with a Diesel, but we have a lot of time to figure that out.

On a truck cap. Right now, I have a Tonneau (Bak Roller thing) that I like, but had I known what I just found out a few weeks ago, I would have gone with a customized cap. I like the Rambox idea, but with Ramboxes, you lose the ability to put on a cap and Tonneau covers are limited in choice. I found a cap with the side windows that open up to storage for tools, etc. I would put all the RV-related setup stuff in the driver's side and all the foldup chairs and such on the passenger side. This would free up our rear storage for more long term items as it is a pain to get to those items. I am waiting for a local sales rep to contact me about my inquiry into this cap. I don't have the company's name, but I found them via Google. They have a bunch of options like paint matching, carpeted interior, lights, and even a vent.

My last truck was a Ford, an F-150 with the V6 Ecco Boost. Loved that for towing our previous hybrid that was much lighter, traded it in when we ordered our Airstream last summer. Glad I did.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
The airbags are part of a levelling system that is used to level the truck and/or trailer. You can even use the levelling system to hitch up the trailer without using the trailer jack.
so, i know that the rear auto leveling air suspension does all that....but would. let's say a 30ft airstream's tongue weight cause any significant sag in the rear suspension of a 3500?

and other than what you mentioned, is there any other uses for an option like that? not that i need more...just asking.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
I am late to the game here. I really like my 2015 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew Cab. It has just the right amount of room and power to handle our 2019 FC 28RB and gear without overdoing it. At max, we tow about 3-5k a year (max). My normal fair weather commuter is my mini cooper, so I might put 10k a year on my truck. For that reason, Diesel would have been a waste for us. We really need to put 30k a year on it to make it worth while. Once we go full time in about 5 years, I will probably go with a Diesel, but we have a lot of time to figure that out.

On a truck cap. Right now, I have a Tonneau (Bak Roller thing) that I like, but had I known what I just found out a few weeks ago, I would have gone with a customized cap. I like the Rambox idea, but with Ramboxes, you lose the ability to put on a cap and Tonneau covers are limited in choice. I found a cap with the side windows that open up to storage for tools, etc. I would put all the RV-related setup stuff in the driver's side and all the foldup chairs and such on the passenger side. This would free up our rear storage for more long term items as it is a pain to get to those items. I am waiting for a local sales rep to contact me about my inquiry into this cap. I don't have the company's name, but I found them via Google. They have a bunch of options like paint matching, carpeted interior, lights, and even a vent.........
thanks for chiming in, GSansoucie, the more info the better.

i appreciate you input on the gas v. diesel issue. i can say now, that i'm almost 100% sure that i'm going to order my Ram. so i can get it exactly the way i want it. while i'm sure on 3500 over the 2500...i not quite as sure about the engine option. i ....for better or worse....tend to always go with the top trim level and all the options when i buy a car. that could just not be appropriate here. you bring up a great point as to cost versus use. while my truck won't be a daily driver , i will tow through grapevine here in CA. so the more powerful engine for stopping and pulling is appealing. i'd also like the Aisin transmission...but i got to weight those things out like you have.

i thought i was off getting a cap, and on to a bed cover...but now i'm thinking about it again. i like those BAK covers. does yours leak much? keep us posted on what cap you get. i'd be really interested how that works out for you. btw, have you considered the weight of that cap?
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
so, i know that the rear auto leveling air suspension does all that....but would. let's say a 30ft airstream's tongue weight cause any significant sag in the rear suspension of a 3500?

and other than what you mentioned, is there any other uses for an option like that? not that i need more...just asking.
I don't think there will be a significant drop in the rear of a 3500. My 28 with about 1000 lbs of tongue weight causes my 2500 to drop about 2" at the rear axle. The 3500 should drop a lot less. Also remember that the unloaded truck is built several inches higher in the back so that you should be more level after loading.

If you don't get the leveling system then you will have to play around with different ball mount drops before you get the trailer level. Still that's a lot cheaper than the $1600 leveling system. Of course the leveling system has high toy value but I'd say it's really made for higher loads such as 5th wheel towing.

I'm not sure what the air bags do for the ride when loaded. That may be worth investigating.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #72
2020 Classic 33
 
Box Elder , South Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,731
Images: 1
If you are ordering there isn't much difference between the Longhorn and Limited. I really liked the tan leathers in the Longhorn. Tired of black interiors.
__________________
Gary
2020 Classic 33 Twin, 2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn, ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
..... I really liked the tan leathers in the Longhorn. Tired of black interiors.
i agree. i'm at the very least going to do the two-tone of ivory and black. but the interior of the Longhorn is my favorite, in terms of color.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
If you are ordering there isn't much difference between the Longhorn and Limited. I really liked the tan leathers in the Longhorn. Tired of black interiors.
If you want to buy off the lot right now there are thousands of unsold 2018 Rams right now and you can save more than 10k if you buy one instead of the 2019. My dealer had 148 of them in inventory and the dealer 5 miles away had 100. So are the new gadgets worth 10 k? Plus the new gadgets will have recalls and startup problems which is no problem unlee you're on the Alaska highway.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #75
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,316
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
If you want to buy off the lot right now there are thousands of unsold 2018 Rams right now and you can save more than 10k if you buy one instead of the 2019. My dealer had 148 of them in inventory and the dealer 5 miles away had 100. So are the new gadgets worth 10 k? Plus the new gadgets will have recalls and startup problems which is no problem unlee you're on the Alaska highway.
Out of Sight, you're absolutely right about the price discount on remaining '18 Rams. However, besides the new gadgets, the '19 Ram now has the 8 speed transmission, totally new chassis and upgraded interiors. Also, the 6.4 Hemi is now standard.

I drove both just to see if I could get by with an '18. To be honest, I'd take a lower trim '19 like a Big Horn before the better deal on an '18. There's a big difference once you drive them.

To each their own, your mileage may vary. Can't go wrong with either one...
__________________
2019 27 Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Out of Sight, you're absolutely right about the price discount on remaining '18 Rams. However, besides the new gadgets, the '19 Ram now has the 8 speed transmission, totally new chassis and upgraded interiors. Also, the 6.4 Hemi is now standard.

I drove both just to see if I could get by with an '18. To be honest, I'd take a lower trim '19 like a Big Horn before the better deal on an '18. There's a big difference once you drive them.

To each their own, your mileage may vary. Can't go wrong with either one...
that's one of the reasons, i'm passing on those potentially great deals on '18s.
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
BigSxyWhtGuy's Avatar
 
2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,227
Id wait for the new 3500 with the 1k torque and bad ass redesign.
__________________
BigSxyWhtGuy

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #78
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,561
FWIW, I have a 2019 RAM 2500 Limited on order. Hope to have it in two to three weeks.

I decided to purchase it with the rear air suspension primarily for two reasons:
1. To help with hooking up and
2. According to those who have this option, it makes the ride a tad better.

I currently have a 2018 and what caused me to order a 2019 was the 10 way adjustable passenger seat (not available in the 2018) as my DW has a bad back and seat adjustment is critical for her. That plus all the safety options, adaptive cruise control, collision aviodance system, etc., and cameras, especially the top down camera that allows you to see all the corners of the truck.

If you do decide to order one recognize delivery time is 2 to 3 months (in my case more toward the 3 months), so put that into your decision tree also.

Enjoy the hunt!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
FWIW, I have a 2019 RAM 2500 Limited on order. Hope to have it in two to three weeks.

I decided to purchase it with the rear air suspension primarily for two reasons:
1. To help with hooking up and
2. According to those who have this option, it makes the ride a tad better.

I currently have a 2018 and what caused me to order a 2019 was the 10 way adjustable passenger seat (not available in the 2018) as my DW has a bad back and seat adjustment is critical for her. That plus all the safety options, adaptive cruise control, collision aviodance system, etc., and cameras, especially the top down camera that allows you to see all the corners of the truck.

If you do decide to order one recognize delivery time is 2 to 3 months (in my case more toward the 3 months), so put that into your decision tree also.

Enjoy the hunt!
I just posted I visited a RAM dealer today in Helena to test drive the 19' 2500 since they had a 34% discount sign out front...unfortunately, I could not find a 2500 Cummins with the new 8 speed, Bilstein's, coil suspension, short bed, 4x4 to try and compare the ride...only had the Hemi long in this configuration. When I asked about the 3500 difference vs 2500, they told me 3500 has a solid rear axil; the 2500 has the coil springs. Payload on the 2500 with Hemi I looked in showroom was 2800lbs, which was decent for sure. Likely the Cummins would be far less payload; perhaps 2200lbs or so? I really wanted to see the new ride and price one out, so they said they would be getting more in and call me....we shall see. By the way, the 34% discount was on a "couple" select 1500 models...but they said I could get close to 18% on a new one...we shall see when/if they call me.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I just posted I visited a RAM dealer today in Helena to test drive the 19' 2500 since they had a 34% discount sign out front...unfortunately, I could not find a 2500 Cummins with the new 8 speed, Bilstein's, coil suspension, short bed, 4x4 to try and compare the ride...only had the Hemi long in this configuration. When I asked about the 3500 difference vs 2500, they told me 3500 has a solid rear axil; the 2500 has the coil springs. Payload on the 2500 with Hemi I looked in showroom was 2800lbs, which was decent for sure. Likely the Cummins would be far less payload; perhaps 2200lbs or so? I really wanted to see the new ride and price one out, so they said they would be getting more in and call me....we shall see. By the way, the 34% discount was on a "couple" select 1500 models...but they said I could get close to 18% on a new one...we shall see when/if they call me.
My ram 2500 diesel 4wd short bed limited with ram boxes has only 1835 lbs payload. The options add up fast to reduce the payload. For me its enough, though.

I have the rear coil springs which have variable spring rates. They ride very well when unloaded and when loaded they handle the 1000 lb tongue load very well. Ram touts them as being better for handling and braking but I've never seen any test results vs the leaf springs.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Limited BAB Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 24 08-22-2020 11:04 AM
26u and Ram 2500 and new setup questions MQF 2016 - Current Flying Cloud 21 09-21-2018 10:54 AM
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 and Stability SteveH Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 24 06-21-2015 09:28 AM
2014 2500 Ram and Reese Hitch Akronguy Hitches, Couplers & Balls 12 06-02-2014 05:37 PM
06 Ram 2500 and 08 Classic 27' breazy Tow Vehicles 9 01-17-2012 08:05 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.