Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Don’t know if anyone mentioned this already but the difference between mega cab and extended cab is reclining rear seats. Do you plan on having people in back that need the reclining rear seat? I would skip on that option as it costs you money... however, I have seen some awesome gun storage solutions back there.

Love my 2500 diesel. Wasn’t looking at ram originally but really glad I gave them a shot.

I can go into all sorts of opinions about leasing a vehicle vs buying. If you got the money, may as well use it though. Best of luck.
The problem with the reclining seats in the mega cab model is that they don't flip up and out of the way to give you a flat storage space as in the crew cab model.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
I believe the spec chart is accurate. When you add in all the options you should come close to the door sticker.

Even the sales brochure is accurate when you read all the tiny footnotes. The brochure will give the payload for the lightest configuration with no options. The footnote will say "when properly equipped". The salesman is the problem, not the published data.
Not sure where you get your information, but my experience as I mentioned, was the spec sheet and actual vehicle are typically not the same...see post #37 as an example of what I found when I went thru the motions...show me where you find the weight of options from any of the dealers...I would love to see that. As I mentioned earlier, the "options" including wheels and tire size, are not given with weight that I found.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #43
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
My '16 MEGA seats fold flat forward then drop lower to almost a full-size mattress area. I've loaded that area with tall upright suitcases, action packers, tall dish pack boxes. More than enough cargo room. If it fits through the door, I've schlepped it back there.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
My opinion comes from using an older pickup truck.
I have an 06 2500 2 wheel drive, 5.9 Cummings, with 264,000 on it. My truck is my running around vehicle which I drive every day. In my opinion diesel's need to be driven every day. Diesel trucks are to expensive to sit in the driveway and not be driven. If I had to replace my truck today I would be another Dodge Cummings.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure where you get your information, but my experience as I mentioned, was the spec sheet and actual vehicle are typically not the same...see post #37 as an example of what I found when I went thru the motions...show me where you find the weight of options from any of the dealers...I would love to see that. As I mentioned earlier, the "options" including wheels and tire size, are not given with weight that I found.
Somebody did post the weight of Ram options here a while back. Not sure where he got them.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMissile View Post
Aluminaut-
I have yet to pick up my Globetrotter 27FB (tomorrow) but have had two previous trailers that I've towed with my 2002 Dodge, used almost weekly for business travel and lodging, and just sold my previous trailer. I look forward to the towing experience of an Airstream.

My opinion is to always sell private party vs trade-in because you will sometimes get 2X the money if you are willing to deal with people coming to see your vehicle.

I love Diesel tow vehicles due to their torque ratings and reputation for decent fuel economy compared to gasoline. They are legendary, especially the Cummins, for longevity and dependability. My Dodge Ram 2500 (460 lbs of torque/235 horsepower) is 17 years old but I paid cash for it and it was under $20,000 to purchase. It is in excellent condition, luxurious, dependable and in great shape. Older diesels can be quite noisy, which some people may object to. You may have to add features that newer vehicles have like Nav screens and XM Radio, which I have done, but saving $45-50k by buying a pre-owned vehicle is materially important.

I had considered a new GM or Dodge but the cost is outrageous I found after hunting during this past year- the equivalent truck is between $65-$70,000, three times what I paid, although as low as $50,000 for something very basic. I saved the money avoiding a truck purchase, and bought an Airstream, deciding to put a leather interior in the truck to upgrade the level of luxury.

The Longbed truck is more stable than shortbeds, also handy for the motorcycles and gear I carry, which are locked in place with heavy cable and padlock combinations. I don't have a tonneau or shell because the bikes require that I stand in the bed for loading and limit many large objects- and also block the rearward view from the cab.

Anything Else about Truck Ownership? If your neighbors find out you own a truck, who do you think they will ask when it's time to move a sofa or take a refrigerator to the dump? Just sayin.
MetalMissle, i love hearing from a long time Ram diesel owner. it makes me feel good about the choice of brand and engine i want to go with when i hear a glowing recommendation like that.

i hear you about selling privately. generally speaking, that's always the right way to go. but, one has to temper the time and effort spent privately selling versus the profit they can make from it. in this instance, fortunately, i owe less on the truck than it's worth. so, the lowest offer i've had from an institution that would buy at wholesale, had me at 5k ahead. i would get significantly more if i sold it privately. which is important, considering how much a new truck is going to cost me. if i'm lucky, i'll conduct this whole transaction without any cash out of my pocket. so, yesterday, i began placing ads online....so, we'll see how this turns out. wish me luck!

i'd rather buy used than new because of the obvious savings. but, im set on a Ram mega cab, and the 2019 have been significantly redesigned from the previous year. so i have little choice there. but, who knows....maybe i'lll wait a year a buy a used one with little miles on it. the great thing about this transaction is that i don't have to do it. at least, not immediately. that'll save me from making any rash decisions. hopefully.

i'm also toying with the idea of ordering my truck direct from the factory. that will save me a lot of money right there.

thanks for the input!

BTW, congrats on the Globetrotter! i love the decor on those...beautiful rig!
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
My 2 Cents

I currently own the Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel with the automatic and my son has the GMC Duramax with the Allison automatic. If I were purchasing another pickup it would be the GMC. The Duramax is as powerful as the Cummins and maintenance is about the same and both are great engines. The Allison automatic is the best transmission hands down. Drop the drain plug and replace the spin-on filter and your ready to go. Allison has been around for a long time and they are bullet proof.

Also, go with the long bed. If you don't, you'll wish you had!
thanks for chiming in, MickeyC. as i stated above, i'm set for a Ram because of the mega cab. that, unfortunately, gets me the shorter bed. it's nice to hear that about the Alison transmission, but going with the HO diesel in the new 3500, gets me the Aision transmission....that's good, right?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga adkins View Post
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. I pull a FC27 fbt. I hardly know the trailer is behind me even in high winds in Texas. I bought it for the power and I trust the Cummins diesel more than the others. I also went with the diesel for easy fill ups in the truck stops rather than gas lanes.
i never thought about that ga adkins...good tip!
Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
You should download Ram's towing chart, a pdf document. It gives the ratings for all the different configurations and they are accurate for the stripped down versions of those configurations. Once you have the numbers for your configuration then subtract for the additional options you have. This should then come out close to the door sticker numbers. If you are not ordering the truck and buying off the lot then just look at the door sticker.
out of sight, that's some good advice. i'm heading there soon to download those.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Aluminaut, you’re doing a great job of taking in all the advice! I’m sure you’ll find the right truck. I discovered the hard way that Ram’s online payload does not match the door sticker. There seems to be a bigger discrepancy on Ram 1500’s than 2500 & 3500 so that works in your favor.

It was Gypsydad that commented on a post of mine to check the door because my 1840# payload (from Ram) sounded high. He was right as usual! The door payload was 1220#. You cannot trust the Ram online numbers; always check the door. Power wagons are notoriously low on payload; some under 2000#.

By the way, I drove a ‘19 Ram 2500 Cummins and would take it in a heartbeat for the power and engine brake if it wasn’t another $10K. Plus, we’re not sure if what our needs will be in 3 years so playing it safe with the gas.

Good luck with your hunt!
looking at the door jam sticker was great advice. i went to the Ram dealer this last Friday and that was my focus. turns out the 2500 Limited i wanted...at least one that was close to what i want specked out that was there on the lot had a 1760 payload capacity. little more than what i had now...i think i may have said this before, but this is why i'm going with the 3500. and checking the door jam sticker as i go

i have that concern with the gas version too. i'm set to go diesel, but i do have my apprehensions.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I had a 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500 and mistakenly didn't get Ram Boxes --- stupid me --- one learns by one's mistakes.

I put 30K trouble-free miles on it towing an AS 27FB without any problems whatsoever. As others have said, "towing was like the trailer wasn't even there" although my mileage suffers; over 30K miles, I averaged 13.5. While in RV parks, I noticed a lot of drivers driving a Ram/Cummins 3500 and asked them "Why?" Their typically response, "Once you drive a 3500, you won't want to go back."

I talked with my local Ram dealer who made me a deal I couldn't say "No" to so I traded in my 2015 2500 for a 2018 3500 --- now with Ram Boxes. Again, no problems to date.

I looked at the 2018 GMC/Duramax/Allison and was very impressed, BUT:
1. Obviously, you can't get Ram Boxes on a GMC.
2. It would have cost me $5K more.
3. You can't get a 2018 GMX Denali in white, which is what I wanted, and Ram makes white as their standard color.

Another poster in this thread argues for a GMC/Duramax because of its Allison tranny, which I agree is first class. The Ram/Cummins 3500 has available, at a price, an Aisin tranny, which may be as good or better. The Aisin, however, only comes, as I recall, with a 3500, not with a 2500 --- another reason to get a 3500.

With the Ram Boxes, I got a tonneau cover for it, which works just fine. I use the bed for twin 2K generators, a gas tank for them, a water tank, a load of tools, dog food, lawn chairs, etc.

Have I mentioned that I think Ram Boxes are the cat's ass?
i'd be so happy to get 13.5 instead of the 8.2 i get with my Landcruiser towing that 25FB hearing your advice, among others, is why i've decided to go for the 3500. i'd be interested to know what your gas mileage is now. with towing and without.

the 3500 i want does have the HO diesel with the Aisin transmission.....at least currently. it's at a significant cost and i really have to weight the final number and see if i can get there with a dealer.

and i LOVE the Ramboxes. as everyone who has an airstream knows , it's all about storage. and to have two separate compartments like that seems like a godsend organizing a camping trip.

thanks, Rgentum!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
The Aisin transmission is, as you mentioned, a better transmission. It is reported to be 68% stronger than Ram's standard automatic transmission, plus it has power takeoff capability. It weighs a lot more so that will come off your payload limit. It is only available on the 3500. But you don't need it to tow a 10,000 lb Airstream. If you are towing 30,000 lbs then you should get it.
that's a good point to remember...i have a horrible habit of trying to get the top of the line in everything. it comes from a good place, though....if i ever wanted to get a larger trailer in the future, chances are that this truck can still work with that.

but, your point is taken, nonetheless. i even started building a "budget" 3500 with ony the things i absolutely need to tow. and that includes the smaller diesel engine.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
Aluminaut,
We've owned two RAMS, a 2015 3500 dually and a 2018 2500, both with Cummins engines. The 3500 was a longbed with AISN transmission and the 2500 is a short bed. We towed an 18,000# Fifth wheel with the dually and tow a 30' AS with the 2500. Both are 4x4 (can't seem get 2wd trucks buying off the lot anymore) Key differences include:
- Long bed takes ROOM to maneuver due to large turning circle. The large turning circle was an issue when trying to back the 38' fiver into some campsites as well as parking lot maneuvers.
- 2500's ride is rougher than 3500 -- I think mostly due to wheelbase difference.
- We did have several problems with the 3500's emission controls -- all covered under warranty. If you check out the RAM forums, they seem to have most of that worked out.
- 3500 had AISN tranny & 2500 has standard one (68RFE, I think). No problems with either one. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $3k for the AISN unless I was towing something really huge.
- 3500 had 4.11 gears and 2500 has 3.54 (or close to that) gears.
Both trucks seem to have software issues. Seems like something needs updating every time they go in for service.
No rambox experience but that would have been useful pulling the fiver (not available on dually).
Both truck were crew cabs, no mega-cab experience either.
Agree with pretty much everything else said by others above.
Diesel is excellent for towing, love the torque and exhaust brake on mountain roads. It does cost more to buy & maintain but the performance is worth the cost for me.

One item I've not seen mentioned by others to date is axle ratios. That has a huge impact on your towing ability and fuel mileage. Be sure to consider that in your searching. I'm very pleased with the fuel mileage on the 2500 with the higher axle ratio but it does need to downshift on some mountain roads when towing. The dually was a towing beast with the 4.11 axle ratio and handled that big trailer as easily as the 2500 does the AS.

Door sticker on my 2500 crew cab short bed Laramie is 1876# which works for me.

Happy hunting!!!
oldenavyone more thing i know nothing about are those ratios. should i go for a 4.11 if i'm going for the larger diesel engine?
it'll be a short bed for me since i've settled on the mega cab. so, hopefully, my turning radius will be better. unfortunately, the payload number is too small for me on the 2500, thus the move to the 3500.

BTW, can you give me your exact or ballpark gas mileage on either of your vehicles?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Nothing against the Dodge Cummins 3/4T or 1T and they are a bit cheaper then GM or Ford. The creature comfort features are "logical" and the other 2 (GM/Ford) could do well by incorporating some of these. That being said, if money is not the driving issue, you would do yourself well to test driving the other brands also...I even took one home overnight at dealers suggestion before settling on the newer F250 I now have. In the end, I don't think you are making a bad decision with any of these larger TV's. Just don't get hung up on features and ride, and overlook payload!
absolutely! the payload was one of my main driving decisions to change vehicles, if i wasn't clear before. the main reason i've also decided on the 3500 over the 2500.
i have seen all the top HD TVs. while i like the Forf the best over some others...man , i love that panoramic sunroof!... Ram won it over for me for the mega cab and just how flat those rear seats fold down.

after towing and payload numbers, the next concern was to have all the tech that made towing easier. such as cameras, tow modes ,etc.

then came space. did we have the space we wanted where we needed it? and lastly came creature comforts.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
.....To us it’s a hobby, to them it’s a paycheck. Some are really into trucks but some used to sell mattresses...
such an apt description for anyone who works in sales in the auto industry.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Don't buy anywhere else than the Fleet guy at Longbeach Ram. Best deal in CA. 2016 3500 MEGA, great truck, but the specified oil change interval is 15k miles, 500 hours of driving, or 6 months, which ever first. I'd love to find a dealer oil change for $85.
i'll do that. can you be more specific as to which dealership in Longbeach and who you dealt with in fleet sales?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Don’t know if anyone mentioned this already but the difference between mega cab and extended cab is reclining rear seats. Do you plan on having people in back that need the reclining rear seat? I would skip on that option as it costs you money... however, I have seen some awesome gun storage solutions back there.......
Quote:
The problem with the reclining seats in the mega cab model is that they don't flip up and out of the way to give you a flat storage space as in the crew cab model.
this is the best response as to why i chose the mega cab over a regular crew cab..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
My '16 MEGA seats fold flat forward then drop lower to almost a full-size mattress area. I've loaded that area with tall upright suitcases, action packers, tall dish pack boxes. More than enough cargo room. If it fits through the door, I've schlepped it back there.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I have an 06 2500 2 wheel drive, 5.9 Cummings, with 264,000 on it. My truck is my running around vehicle which I drive every day. In my opinion diesel's need to be driven every day. Diesel trucks are to expensive to sit in the driveway and not be driven. If I had to replace my truck today I would be another Dodge Cummings.
how sure are you about that? because my 3500 would not be a daily driver. i'm be putting minimal miles on it yearly. if you are correct, i'd guess i'd be concerned.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
so, last friday, after reading a lot of your responses, i test drove a Ram 3500. they didn't have a fully loaded one that i would've wanted, but the closest they came was a Laramie front bench seat, basic infotainment screen and no ramboxes. but it was a mega cab and it had the HO Cummins diesel engine with the Aisin transmission.

i have to say i was impressed. i took it on an extensive test drive. about 15 miles to my house, going over a variety of different quality roads. some bad and some newly paved. once i got to my house, i tried to put it in my garage, and i was surprised that it would fit. about 2 inches over the sharkfin. i did not expect that!

then, i took it on the freeway. about another 10 miles back and forth ...and that was about it.

as i said, i was impressed. it was pretty smooth and quiet for a truck. the way it handles makes it appear that it's a lot smaller than it is. the rough parts were when we took off from a stop...when the transmission is shifting. those low gear shifts were rough but completely livable....at least from a guy who's only driven suv's and cars.
i had my someone sit in the rear seats and they were surprised as well as to how comfortable it was. to me, i was impressed by how comfortable the driver's seat was. i can see enjoying longer drives in this. now, since this was a bench seat, i truly hope the buckets are as comfortable.

i'll keep you all posted on how this little journey works out for me. i'm truly grateful for all the insightful responses. i'm sure there'll be a lot of folks out there that could benefit from this discussions. thanks!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
once i got to my house, i tried to put it in my garage, and i was surprised that it would fit. about 2 inches over the sharkfin. i did not expect that!

One thing to remember about parking in a garage is that if you take a different route and do not get the Ram Boxes and go with a standard bed and camper shell - the truck has a certain amount of rake built in (rear sits higher than the front).
One option available is an air suspension with an alternate ride height - where you can lower the rear of the truck a bit for loading, hooking up a trailer, etc...
I would definitely look into the air suspension option as the whole truck sits a tad lower than the standard suspension. If ease of getting in/out of the truck is high on your list you may consider the Amp Research automatic running boards. These are supposed to deploy lower than a standard running board.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote