Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2024, 02:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,118
Blog Entries: 1
"My 1st thought is, if a truck weighs 200lbs less than posted curb weight would you than think the trucks payload went up 200lbs ?"

Yes, I would. But...I do not think that is likely to happen. I thing curb weight is GVWR minus payload. My truck is a good bit heavier than the GVRW minus payload number so I think I have less payload than the sticker shows. My truck does not actually list a curb weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2link2 View Post
I'll post up truck weight no problem. If it's only a few hundred pound difference I'd chalk it up to scale accuracy. If your using CAT scales I know there is error there. I've even gotten different numbers same day same truck parked in exact same spot ? I never thought of comparing the posted curb weight to actual curb weight. This is1st time I heard curb weight affects posted payload capacity, I need to look into that,
My 1st thought is, if a truck weighs 200lbs less than posted curb weight would you than think the trucks payload went up 200lbs ?
Soooo there is quite a lot of "advise" on Payload vs actual posted weights and real life scale weights. Easier to just go by the "payload" sticker on your door jamb. That is the published weight for that particular vehicle as delivered, assuming you have not added any "dealer" options. That is the "payload" number that counts...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:52 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Soooo there is quite a lot of "advise" on Payload vs actual posted weights and real life scale weights. Easier to just go by the "payload" sticker on your door jamb. That is the published weight for that particular vehicle as delivered, assuming you have not added any "dealer" options. That is the "payload" number that counts...
]
I couldn't agree more. That's why I weighed every single piece of gear we travel with, except the wife I'm taking her word for it !
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:22 AM   #44
Site Team
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2link2 View Post
]
I couldn't agree more. That's why I weighed every single piece of gear we travel with, except the wife I'm taking her word for it !
I think that is a wise decision!
__________________
2018 27' FBT Globetrotter
2019 RAM Limited 2500 w/6.7 diesel
BRN 22721
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I think that is a wise decision!
Definitely; a wise decision..
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
JJTX's Avatar
 
2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMSports View Post

With suspension upgrades and good tires, I think the 1500 can match a 2500 platform stability-wise.
Absolutely false.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:23 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
 
2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 302
Let's race one around a track and see how you do.

Some guys took a 1500 around Nürburgring. I should have said upgrade the brakes too, that helps. No way a RAM 2500 would even come close to this performance. COG is too high, no grip, no driver either.

See: Driving a 702hp DODGE RAM TRX on the Nürburgring Nordschleife
__________________
FS 2023 Globetrotter
(Vancouver Island, B.C.)
FMSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:12 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar
 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMSports View Post
Let's race one around a track and see how you do.

Some guys took a 1500 around Nürburgring. I should have said upgrade the brakes too, that helps. No way a RAM 2500 would even come close to this performance. COG is too high, no grip, no driver either.

See: Driving a 702hp DODGE RAM TRX on the Nürburgring Nordschleife
Are you racing or towing an Airstream...totally different dynamic. My money would be on the 2500 towing a 25' or larger as vs the 1500RAM...not a question of speed; it's payload capability, wheelbase stability, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc, etc, etc...oh, and if that 2500 is diesel, you also have the engine brake, which as many of us know, adds a whole different dimension to towing while on the highways...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:13 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I would be interested in knowing you empty weight with that truck if you weight it and care to post. My 2019 Ram is heavier than the curb weight cutting into the amount of payload sticker that is available for use,

Finally got to a CAT scale & 2019 RAM Bighorn 4WD full tank gas came in at 5500, that was with 65lb hitch in the receiver. The shocking part was the TW of the 25' FC FBT at 1280lbs. I had trailer loaded for camping, full propane, 1/2 tank fresh water, both waste tanks empty & 2 Lithium batteries. Prior owner had CAT scale TW at 1110 with lead acid batteries ?

RAM door sticker says Max payload 1788lbs. If I use the GVWR number of 7100 & CAT scale number it seems MAX payload would be 1600lbs ? 188lb difference. With hitch subtracted of 65lbs it would be 123lbs payload less than door sticker claim. Throw in some CAT scale error & it's pretty close.
I'm a bit confused on the TW figure. If I take the drive axle #3580 no WD hook up and subtract the truck only drive axle #2300 from it I get 1280lbs, but when I take hooked up total weight of drive & steer axle #6260lbs & subtract the truck number 5500lbs it's only an add of 760bs ?? Did trailer add 1280lbs or did it add 760lbs to max payload ??? Also 80lb total axle weight difference between WD hooked up & no WD hooked up ??



truck DA 2300
SA 3200

Hitch no
WD DA 3580
SA 2680


With WD DA 3260
SA 2920
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:13 PM   #50
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2link2 View Post
Finally got to a CAT scale & 2019 RAM Bighorn 4WD full tank gas came in at 5500, that was with 65lb hitch in the receiver. The shocking part was the TW of the 25' FC FBT at 1280lbs. I had trailer loaded for camping, full propane, 1/2 tank fresh water, both waste tanks empty & 2 Lithium batteries. Prior owner had CAT scale TW at 1110 with lead acid batteries ?

RAM door sticker says Max payload 1788lbs. If I use the GVWR number of 7100 & CAT scale number it seems MAX payload would be 1600lbs ? 188lb difference. With hitch subtracted of 65lbs it would be 123lbs payload less than door sticker claim. Throw in some CAT scale error & it's pretty close.
I'm a bit confused on the TW figure. If I take the drive axle #3580 no WD hook up and subtract the truck only drive axle #2300 from it I get 1280lbs, but when I take hooked up total weight of drive & steer axle #6260lbs & subtract the truck number 5500lbs it's only an add of 760bs ?? Did trailer add 1280lbs or did it add 760lbs to max payload ??? Also 80lb total axle weight difference between WD hooked up & no WD hooked up ??



truck DA 2300
SA 3200

Hitch no
WD DA 3580
SA 2680


With WD DA 3260
SA 2920
The difference in the scaled rear axle weights hitched vs unhitched do not equal tongue weight, as the rear axle will see more than the tongue weight due to the hitch load being applied aft of the rear axle. The rear axle will show a higher scale reading hitched, and the front axle will show a lower scale reading, so the correct tongue weight calculation is the sum of the front and rear axles (hitched) less the sum of both axles (unhitched)

I suspect the tongue weight is over the calculated 760 lbs and there is some measurement or scale error involved.

The 80 lb difference is what was transferred to the trailer axles with WD applied.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:46 PM   #51
Rivet Master
 
2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
I ditto what SandKSmith said, 3.92 gears are almost required. We towed our 9,000 pound 30 foot Classic (1,100 pound tongue weight) with a 14 RAM 1500 for several years until we recently upgraded to a 2500 due to payload. The truck did great with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears.
Is it really that important? With the 8 speed automatic, 6th gear is 1:1. With the 3.21:1 final drive, you could achieve the same highway towability in 5th.

Startability should be a non-issue with a torque converter.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:19 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The difference in the scaled rear axle weights hitched vs unhitched do not equal tongue weight, as the rear axle will see more than the tongue weight due to the hitch load being applied aft of the rear axle. The rear axle will show a higher scale reading hitched, and the front axle will show a lower scale reading, so the correct tongue weight calculation is the sum of the front and rear axles (hitched) less the sum of both axles (unhitched)

I suspect the tongue weight is over the calculated 760 lbs and there is some measurement or scale error involved.

The 80 lb difference is what was transferred to the trailer axles with WD applied.

Thanks for the explanation ! And I'm kinda relived to know the add to the trucks payload is under 1000lbs. If it is in fact 760lbs that's even better. I don't see any measurement or math error. I just did 3 passes on the scale and did the math. So it would have to be scale error I think. Next time I go by a different CAT scale I'll weigh it all again.
Thanks again
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1500


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 RAM 1500 Towing & Payload Hans627 Tow Vehicles 113 03-13-2018 09:53 AM
2019 RAM 1500 Intro Hans627 Tow Vehicles 5 01-18-2018 08:01 AM
Silverado 1500 4WD Loaded with EXTRAS! Ren Lackey Airstream Classifieds 0 04-15-2017 03:54 PM
25-Footer with a Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI AirHeadRik Hitches, Couplers & Balls 33 02-22-2011 08:15 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.