Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #41
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,127
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
DKB-SATX - I did not catch the rear axle max weight, payload and gross combined weight ratings on your F150? Does it have a topper?
I did not post them, because it wasn't germane to the discussion. If you want to ask a question, ask it rather than engaging in passive-aggressive nonsense like pretending you missed it. I do not have a "topper" nor do I wish to, I don't like what that does to visibility in normal driving.

My point, which you are ignoring, is that the magical imagined abilities of an HD pickup to stop on a dime do not exist. Braking tests show this. Big heavy trucks with their big brakes don't stop better than half-tons, on average, but it's a tired old saw for people who want to pretend that those of us towing well within the numbers with a half-ton are playing Russian roulette while they are safe as houses.

My truck's rated capacities (from door-post sticker, except the GCWR which is from 2017 Ford Towing Guide):

Rear axle 3800
Front axle 3525
Gross wt 7000
GCWR 16900

Scale weights loaded for travel:

Rear axle 3380
Front axle 3200
Truck wt 6580
Combo wt 12300
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
Generally the heavier the rig the longer it will take to stop. No doubt about that. But this is countered to some extent by the fact that a heavy duty truck, at least a newer one, sits quite high and you get a much better picture of the traffic in front of you. This enables you to react sooner.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
2019 Ford F-250 Diesel

The post asks about experience with 2019 F250’s .So why do others join in with their F150 BS trying to convince others that they made the right choice along with those sharing armchair engineer braking theories?
I have watched many of these types convert to 3/4 tons and 1 tons over the years and I just have to laugh.......
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #44
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,127
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The post asks about experience with 2019 F250’s .So why do others join in with their F150 BS trying to convince others that they made the right choice along with those sharing armchair engineer braking theories?
I have watched many of these types convert to 3/4 tons and 1 tons over the years and I just have to laugh.......
Laugh all you want. Ask "life is a highway" why he felt the need to spread disinformation about F150s more than talk about his current truck.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master
 
2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 761
Check your state for registration costs and DL requirements of a 1 ton truck...
__________________
brick
2018 International Serenity
Cute wife...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
Life is a Highway's Avatar

 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Laugh all you want. Ask "life is a highway" why he felt the need to spread disinformation about F150s more than talk about his current truck.
Arm chair. ? 7500 miles with both trucks towing the same trailer.

You understand right? I owned both trucks. My right to report the difference from my time on the road in hills not flat lands.

If the original op or anyone wants to talk with me pm me I will share the good and bad of both vehicles. Arm chair engineer!!!! No field engineer and from a 35 year Automobile Instructor and past farm kid I can feel a vehicle. I don’t Arm Chair or Spread mis information when I have towed with both.

DKW is a great man and has helped me and many on the forum. I knew you might bite at me ,and that’s ok you have a nice rig sorry I got ya riled. I have no disrespect for the 150 crew I started with one. 1/4 mile down the road towing our 25 ft Airstream my wife said I’m sorry should have let you get the 250. One year later it happened.

With our 6.7 diesel I get better fuel mileage ,I don’t have to listen to an eco boost scream spooling up twin turbos cooking oil and I don’t have to leave a 10 speed locked in 7 th. Engine breaking down steep grades is a good thing. Drop a 1000 lbs of hitch weight on a 150 max tow it squats. Drop it on a 250 you wonder if you need weight bars which I did and do recommend for stability.

“Ignorance can be fixed with education stupidity takes a great salesman “.

Now we just got our 250 bubble broke. We’re looking at a 34 ft Vanleigh 5 th wheel. Dealer looked at my truck said sorry you need to go to a 350 or re spring your Truck I said thanks we will stay with the Airstream
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
2019 Ford F-250 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Arm chair. ? 7500 miles with both trucks towing the same trailer.

You understand right? I owned both trucks. My right to report the difference from my time on the road in hills not flat lands.

If the original op or anyone wants to talk with me pm me I will share the good and bad of both vehicles. Arm chair engineer!!!! No field engineer and from a 35 year Automobile Instructor and past farm kid I can feel a vehicle. I don’t Arm Chair or Spread mis information when I have towed with both.

DKW is a great man and has helped me and many on the forum. I knew you might bite at me ,and that’s ok you have a nice rig sorry I got ya riled. I have no disrespect for the 150 crew I started with one. 1/4 mile down the road towing our 25 ft Airstream my wife said I’m sorry should have let you get the 250. One year later it happened.

With our 6.7 diesel I get better fuel mileage ,I don’t have to listen to an eco boost scream spooling up twin turbos cooking oil and I don’t have to leave a 10 speed locked in 7 th. Engine breaking down steep grades is a good thing. Drop a 1000 lbs of hitch weight on a 150 max tow it squats. Drop it on a 250 you wonder if you need weight bars which I did and do recommend for stability.

“Ignorance can be fixed with education stupidity takes a great salesman “.

Now we just got our 250 bubble broke. We’re looking at a 34 ft Vanleigh 5 th wheel. Dealer looked at my truck said sorry you need to go to a 350 or re spring your Truck I said thanks we will stay with the Airstream


I think you either misread or misinterpreted my post as I too have pulled my 28ft with F150 and have since had a new 2012,2016 and currently a 2017 F350 6.7 and will not return to a F150.My post is directed to the people who continue to tell people that a F150(or light duty vehicles in general)are all great tow vehicle choice for all Airstreams.This couldn’t be farther from the truth.They also make statements regarding F250’s ,F350’s (and their equivalents )as not a good being choices for pulling heavy tongue weight models which is ridiculous as this is what they were designed for.This misinformation has caused many to purchase the wrong vehicle for their applications.Only to find out later that they made the a bad choice.
Most also don’t realize that the difference in cost between a F250 and a F350 is approximately $600 and they both ride the same.So they by a F250 6.7 TD only to find that it has little benefit in payload over a F150.
There is lots of misinformation posted on this site which is unfortunate.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #48
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,127
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
No one has said an F150 is a great tow vehicle for ALL Airstreams, at least not on this thread. It's a fine choice for most of them but the 28' + trailers are at the heavy end of the spectrum and for a lot of reasons people might choose the HD pickups. If you'd actually read what was written, I responded specifically to the suggestion that an F150 can't safely stop while towing a 25' Airstream. If you want to get REAL crazy and read the whole thread, you'd find at the very top that I suggested the OP include 350s in their search because of the payload penalty with the diesel engine. I didn't recommend an F150, I said that there's something wrong with the rig as a whole if you feel like you can't stop a 25' Airstream (the trailer in question in that part of the thread) with max-tow F150 and that if the trailer's not doing its part of the job for braking, it'll be hard an an F250s brakes.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
No one has said an F150 is a great tow vehicle for ALL Airstreams, at least not on this thread. It's a fine choice for most of them but the 28' + trailers are at the heavy end of the spectrum and for a lot of reasons people might choose the HD pickups. If you'd actually read what was written, I responded specifically to the suggestion that an F150 can't safely stop while towing a 25' Airstream. If you want to get REAL crazy and read the whole thread, you'd find at the very top that I suggested the OP include 350s in their search because of the payload penalty with the diesel engine. I didn't recommend an F150, I said that there's something wrong with the rig as a whole if you feel like you can't stop a 25' Airstream (the trailer in question in that part of the thread) with max-tow F150 and that if the trailer's not doing its part of the job for braking, it'll be hard an an F250s brakes.


I read all of the posts prior, thank you though.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #50
New Member
 
Crescent City , California
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
F250

We are also Tundra owners but bought a 2019 F250 to tow our 27FB. Took it on a long trip this past summer and love love loved it! Can’t even tell you are towing. Felt really secure knowing we had plenty of power. No regrets!
juhlkirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #51
Cloudland2
 
davidrrand's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 359
Payloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
I have a lariat 4 door short bed diesel. I ordered it with everything. Here’s my door stickers. Hope this helps. We love ours just wife and I .
Attachment 358768
My 2015 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0 gas SuperCab has a sticker payload of 2031. Looking at a 2020 F250 with 7.3 gas Lariat equipped like my F150 except Crew that should hav payload slightly over 3000. Might want to consider gas option unless you must have diesel. 😉
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member
 
Kirkland Lake , California
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
F250 diesel

We have a 2017 F250 diesel lariat. Tow a 27 ft globetrotter. Love the truck. Never any issues with enough power. Easy to accelerate up a hill. The kids find it a bit uncomfortable in the backseat. Use it in northern Ontario and have occasionally been caught towing in a severe snow storm and still towed without any problems.
Kenogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Phoebe View Post
Does anyone have experience with the F-250? There are some good deals out there on 2019s. Love my 2013 Tundra but maxed out on weight with my 27FB.
I have the 2017 KR model F250 4x4 6.7L diesel now with 77k miles on it...towing the 28' AS FC twin for 36K of those miles...up/down/around the Rockies of North West and the flat lands of Texas...love this TV for it's intended purpose...towing and hauling our "stuff" along in the bed. The exhaust brake and torque make towing a pleasure while in Tow/Haul mode with Auto Engine brake and Cruise control engaged.

Decent payload for our needs. We carry kayaks in summer, a generator, portable fire pit, extra propane bottle, camp gear, Yeti 65 qt cooler, tools, bbq grill and couple of portable tables...except for maintenance costs for oil change and everyday driving/parking when not connected, it's an excellent choice for towing 27' or larger AS...IMHO...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member
 
bmc5311's Avatar
 
2019 30' International
Manvel , Texas
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Images: 4
We have a 2017 F250 Crew Cab, short bed diesel (King Ranch, yeah, I splurged...) and tow a 30' International Serenity. Three words: It tows great. Three more words: It rides great. I replaced the stock 35 gallon fuel tank with a 60 gallon Transflow fuel tank.
bmc5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member
 
2019 27' International
The Woodlands , TX
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
I've got a 2019 f250 diesel towing a 27 ft AS Int'l FBT. F250 capacity about 2300#. I have ProPride hitch, Retrax roll cover and Yakima rack and lot of stuff in bed. I'm well within all limits but rear GAWR limit is close (within 200#). If I had it to do over, I'd consider a F350 or F450 (Big Truck Big RV seems to consider f350 better for hauling and f450 better for towing). I did put Sulastic shackles and Bilsteen shocks to improve the ride on the f250 - they made the ride better. It's my daily driver as I traded in a 2004 F250 diesel and 2011 Toyota land cruiser. I like driving the new truck with all the added driver aids.
aaurbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Dexter , Missouri
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
We drive a 2019 F 250 power stroke. Great truck. No complaints at all. Good fuel mileage pulling and empty.
Cdrmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Orange , California
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 25
250???

I have the 2019 Food 250 and pulling a 2018 27' Tommy Bahama. It tows well, feels safe and very comfortable. Be smart and if you think you need to up grade than do so. Almost any vehicle can tow but it is more about when you get into trouble while towing it can take care of you, your family and trailer. You are on the right track. Good luck
Lucy Goosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 43
F-250

Ended up with the 2020 Platinum diesel, on a good deal at year end due to uptick in power, (1050 Torque, 450hp), and went from 6-speed transmission in ‘19 to 10-speed on the ‘20 with several selectable gearings. Got the heavier rear axle for pulling 33ft Classic with 3.31 rear end and dealer included 7 year/200,000 mile power-train warranty. Not worried about 3.31 with all that torque, and with normal driving at 1250-1350 rpm, (right at 70mph), got 26 mpg non-pulling use on moderately flat interstate, which is most the time. Always have gotten the King Ranch, but Platinum included many more options as standard for the same money. Backup cameras are something else as they are on all the manufactured trucks in US now compared to my old ‘13. Door panel on 20” Michelin’s shows 60psi front and 65 rear and great ride on normally 80psi tires. Cluster dash now has TPMS data as well as programmable screen for trailer tires if equipped with TPMS. Not planning on pulling 22-30k. Very stable in wind and great level setup by dealer with Equalizer weight-transfer hitch. 4X4 shocks.
starpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member
 
1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 33
Diesel.... yes

It you haven’t before, diesel, yes!
I drive a Ram Cummins, the Fords, and Chevys have very good engines also, but.... remember this.
These two manufactures have Vee engines, with all the emissions equipment inside the vee.
The heat a diesel makes will eventually cook it $$$$$.

On the other hand, any diesel will tow just about ANYTHING and ask for more. Fuel mileage is lower than gas, but with a heavy load will loose about 10-20%..... gas will loose 50-75%. I.E. gas 20MPG down to 10MPG OR less. Diesel 15-18MPH to 12-14MPH.

SO, in conclusion save money fo replace the emission systems. . Good luck. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
thewarden's Avatar

 
2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Generally the heavier the rig the longer it will take to stop. No doubt about that. But this is countered to some extent by the fact that a heavy duty truck, at least a newer one, sits quite high and you get a much better picture of the traffic in front of you. This enables you to react sooner.
The extra height and weight of todays HD pickup trucks is exactly what makes them poor vehicles for towing, especially bumper pull trailers. They do not handle or brake all that well compared to vehicles that are lighter and have a lower centre of gravity, both of which improve handling and braking, especially in an emergency maneuver. What HD trucks do have going for them is the additional power (diesel) and the ability to haul heavy loads in the box.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
250 meets 250 meets 250... "made for Germany" in Germany split window Classic Motorhomes 31 03-16-2020 05:25 AM
Any TV off road type tires? 2016 F-250. 250 vs 350? 6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas? Need help! Danattherock Tow Vehicles 53 07-19-2015 01:21 AM
2001 Ford F-250 Diesel 77Ambassador Airstream Classifieds 0 09-26-2013 04:46 AM
Ford 250 4x4 diesel mileage RoccoJohn Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 3 08-10-2011 07:59 AM
Ford 250 4x4 diesel westernviews Tow Vehicles 43 04-07-2007 06:10 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.