Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thank you everybody for all your help advice and insight this forum is PRICELESS for a newbie like me. I really can't tank all you guys enough! Really really really appreciate it, really!!!

brad
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #22
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
If you were not happy with how the X5 felt towing, then you likely won't be happy with how the F150 will feel either. Pay attention to hitch setup, trailer loading, and vehicle loading. See how much front axle load you are restoring, using a pass over the weigh scales.

Depending on which model X5 you have, you are well within the capabilities of that size a trailer. You note that it felt taxed, which sounds like you felt it didn't have enough power. The F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost has essentially the same hp as the X5 35i, and is rated to tow 9000 lbs, so it isn't a power issue.

If you want a pickup because you want a pickup, great. You will be able to carry larger items in the bed, if you spec it right. It just wouldn't be good to see you spend all that money on a poorer handling vehicle, and not be happy.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Get the max tow with 3.5 EB, and you'll be set. There is no downside to getting the max tow.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Get the max tow with 3.5 EB, and you'll be set. There is no downside to getting the max tow.
This is what I got and I am towing a 2017 FC 23FB with no issues.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
The Wife wins..... as usual :)

so after all of your guys great help and advice for a newbie my wife decided she wanted a Ford Expedition with the heavy tow package (9200 lbs) vs the F-150. The expedition would be a better all around vehicle for the kids and dogs and cats eat and she's right, she's always right
So i pick up my Expedition XLT with heavy tow package today.
One last question....
Break in period on engine??? Do i need to break it it for a few hundred miles before i hook up the AS? or are the newer engines ready to tow from day one.

thanks gain everybody you have all be such a huge help!!!

B
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
On all my Ford vehicles there was a recommended interval for a new vehicle before towing. Something in the order of 1000 km/600 m. Not sure about the 2018, check your manual. It has less to do with the engine, and more to do with the drive train. Differentials in particular.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My '17 F150 (with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost and 10-speed, so essentially the same powertrain as your Expedition) specifies a 1000-mile break-in period before towing in the owner's manual.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
Walt thank you for all that info its priceless. Torklift in Kent did the instal of the hitch i know its set up correct but i fell like i don't want to trash the BMW more then i need to its a really great car and i kinda want a truck I know its $45K for the one i want but i would feel better in the mountains with a truck. And better in the campgrounds with a truck vs a BMW with a airstream. I understand that airstreamers already have a snob reputation at campgrounds from the other SOB trailer owners and a BMW towing one won't help that case
Here's to being the campground snob I went the opposite, from a truck to the SUV. Tows much better than the truck and much more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180602_120236.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	315223  
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I just downloaded the 2018 Expedition owner's manual. It stipulates a 1,000 mile engine break-in period.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #30
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Two things I would say to definitely get, or check on. Definitely get the larger ecoboost engine. Also make sure towing mirrors are included. I bought the max tow package, and believe it or not, the 2016 F150 did not show up with towing mirrors. That is my only complaint about the truck. Does Ford think someone ordering the max tow package isn't going to tow? I ordered add ons for tow mirrors, still pisses me off.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Hello Airstreamers! I just got my 19'FC and love it. the issue is i am not happy with the TV. I have a BMW X5 and when i drove the AS home i was not happy with how the BMW felt while towing the Airstream, even though i made sure that many people tow with a BMW X5 i was just not happy how it felt going up the hills. it felt to taxed and the AS was empty. I guess i put the cart before the horse. Sooooo.... I am going to buy a new Ford F-150. I have been doing my homework and the only thing i am not sure about is the 2 tow packages offered. there is the Tow Package and the Max Tow Package. they are just about the same but the Max Tow Package offers a 3.55 axle ratio vs a 3.31 for the standard tow package. they both have the break controller and fancy back up assist (which i need!!!).
So my long winded question is. For my 19' do i need the max towing package. do i need the 3.55 axel ratio. Just to make it more confusing for you guys i plan to keep the F-150 forever but will probably get a bigger AS 25'-27' in a few years so i want to make sure whatever TV i get it can pull a 27'. Not getting another TV..i learned my lesson.
Any input from you guys that have the F-150 with the standard tow package that wish they got the Max tow package would be great.
and i know nothing about axel ratios this is why i am asking as well. I think the bigger the ratio the more you can tow.

one last thing I plan to use the Airstream in the winter in the mountains here in Washington. If thats a factor. just thought i would add that as well. We are mountain people and need to be able to tow up the passes

thank you all so much for all your great advice to this newbie!

Brad

I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost with max tow package. The Ecoboost and max tow package boosts your pulling weight to 11,300#. We have a 25’ Flying Cloud and lived in it for 7 years, about 10,000# fully loaded. To sum it up... get the max tow and the Ecoboost motor. You will be elated. Once you get into a 27’, a weight distribution hitch would be helpful.
movin-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Two things I would say to definitely get, or check on. Definitely get the larger ecoboost engine. Also make sure towing mirrors are included. I bought the max tow package, and believe it or not, the 2016 F150 did not show up with towing mirrors. That is my only complaint about the truck. Does Ford think someone ordering the max tow package isn't going to tow? I ordered add ons for tow mirrors, still pisses me off.
I love my big dumb-looking power-folding tow mirrors, I'm totally spoiled to driving with them and when I get in the car I feel like I'm half blind.

The problem Ford faces is that trucks (150s even more than SDs) are often bought to be cars, and people care more about looks and sunroofs than actual truck capabilities. I've been following F150 forums for years and people whine and moan about how big the tow mirrors are and how they look like "dumbo ears" so Ford wanted to only offer the good mirrors to people with discerning tastes who read the order guide. There's no substitute for reading the order guide because unless you're buying from the "fleet guy" at a dealership that sells lots of white trucks, your salesman probably doesn't know enough about what's in the order guide. They removed the tow mirrors from the max-tow package starting with the 2015 model (the first aluminum one) and my sales-kid's supervisor actually sent him back to verify that I really wanted the tow mirrors. My response was if they really wanted my check, it better have those mirrors. I had gone in with the options laid out (including the Ford option codes from the ordering guide) and they still didn't believe me.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Texas City , Arkansas
Tow vehicle

I had a 2017 F150 with max tow when I bought an AS 26U. I towed with it for about 8000 miles. Did not like the feel of it on the road. Traded for an F250 with the diesel. Towed much better. With the new two vehicle I was able to trade up to the Classic 33 with no problems towing, even in the mountains.
Old Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
I'll throw in my two cents worth. I have the 19' Flying Cloud and I tow with a 2017 Tundra. I've owned both the F150 and Tundra, and, I'll stay Tundra: Oooooo. (Smiling). I've been in 16 states in the past year, 1 of every 2 trucks we now see towing are Tundra: largest gear ratio, great V8. Yet, that's my promo. With regard to the F150, I agree with those who highlight the btr tow package. I also agree with BearForceOne's point about the larger gas tank. My Tundra is a 38 gal tank: love the larger tank and added distance coverage. The larger tow ratio provides much more flexibility when needed, and if the price point of the two models isn't significant, go 3.55.
Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #35

2017 28' International
Lakewood , Colorado
Towing with the F150

We tow our 27" AS with the 2018 F150 throughout Colorado and surrounding states. Traded our Chev Suburban 1500 for the upgrade and are delighted with the decision, especially when climbing I-70 west of Denver.
Baggageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
I have a 2016 Max tow for my 2017 27 foot International Serenity. I love it! Big gas tank and the GPS is the best. Only down side is all the leather and fancy doodads. I probably could have got a cheaper version. This is a Lariat, 3.5 liter ecoboost. I can tow up hill at above 70/mph and don't even realize I am towing anything.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Indian river , Michigan
Quote:
Hello Airstreamers! I just got my 19'FC and love it. the issue is i am not happy with the TV. I have a BMW X5 and when i drove the AS home i was not happy with how the BMW felt while towing the Airstream, even though i made sure that many people tow with a BMW X5 i was just not happy how it felt going up the hills. it felt to taxed and the AS was empty. I guess i put the cart before the horse. Sooooo.... I am going to buy a new Ford F-150. I have been doing my homework and the only thing i am not sure about is the 2 tow packages offered. there is the Tow Package and the Max Tow Package. they are just about the same but the Max Tow Package offers a 3.55 axle ratio vs a 3.31 for the standard tow package. they both have the break controller and fancy back up assist (which i need!!!).
So my long winded question is. For my 19' do i need the max towing package. do i need the 3.55 axel ratio. Just to make it more confusing for you guys i plan to keep the F-150 forever but will probably get a bigger AS 25'-27' in a few years so i want to make sure whatever TV i get it can pull a 27'. Not getting another TV..i learned my lesson.
Any input from you guys that have the F-150 with the standard tow package that wish they got the Max tow package would be great.
and i know nothing about axel ratios this is why i am asking as well. I think the bigger the ratio the more you can tow.

one last thing I plan to use the Airstream in the winter in the mountains here in Washington. If thats a factor. just thought i would add that as well. We are mountain people and need to be able to tow up the passes

thank you all so much for all your great advice to this newbie!

Brad
If you do thing else just be sure you get the 3.5 in that Ford. You are not going to believe how much nicer the truck will tow over your current tow vehicle......the truck is designed from the ground up to tow.....I am totally impressed with the 2.7 that I tow my 16 sport with. If I bought a 26 AS I’d just need a 3.5
Kpope69211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Buy the 3.55 transmission. That is the standard transmission on 95% of the trucks. You should be concerned more about the size of the engine and what it can pull. The slower transmission will cost you more in fuel and you will gain nothing unless you have a real heavy load...... 15K pounds or more. BUY THE STANDARD TRANSMISSION.

I would be more concerned about the a 1500 (1/2 ton) vs a 2500 (3/4 ton) with larger sized engines. Perhaps even a 2500 with a diesel engine if you are planning on keeping the truck for a longer period. You never know what trailer size or weight you might purchase in the future. A full sized diesel will pull anything (not a 1500 modified diesel) and you will get good fuel mileage and never be concerned about pulling any size trailer. I have a Dodge 2500 Diesel and average 19 - 20 miles per gallon and seldom realize I am pulling a 27FB International.

Good luck on your truck......just purchase the standard transmission.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Get the “max tow”. Simple.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
Buy the 3.55 transmission. That is the standard transmission on 95% of the trucks. You should be concerned more about the size of the engine and what it can pull. The slower transmission will cost you more in fuel and you will gain nothing unless you have a real heavy load...... 15K pounds or more. BUY THE STANDARD TRANSMISSION.

I would be more concerned about the a 1500 (1/2 ton) vs a 2500 (3/4 ton) with larger sized engines. Perhaps even a 2500 with a diesel engine if you are planning on keeping the truck for a longer period. You never know what trailer size or weight you might purchase in the future. A full sized diesel will pull anything (not a 1500 modified diesel) and you will get good fuel mileage and never be concerned about pulling any size trailer. I have a Dodge 2500 Diesel and average 19 - 20 miles per gallon and seldom realize I am pulling a 27FB International.

Good luck on your truck......just purchase the standard transmission.
It is a ten speed automatic transmission. There is a 3.55 axle ratio, but the 3.73 will have a higher tow rating.