Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #81
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
In my opinion the FX4 package is being mistakenly bought as a towing enhancement. You can buy the skid plate separately and who really needs any of the other stuff included in that package unless you plan to do some serious off road driving? Instead, for about 160.00 bucks, get the "camper package". With that package you get a factory tuned rear axle stabilizer bar, extra rear helper spring, one step heavier front coil spring & a Ford certification that the truck has been built to handle a top heavy load in the truck bed (a bed camper) I didn't want the 20" wheels because the tires are more expensive and they ride harder. For highway towing, I wanted a highway tread not a more aggressive all season or snow tread. The FX4 package just doesn't make sense as a towing enhancement.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #82
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2017 F-250 has not arrived at the dealer yet but I went down and measured the receiver height. It appears as though the receiver is 4-5" higher then the receiver on my 2016. I have an Equalizer set up and need to know what those with the higher receivers did. I think I need to raise the shank???
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #83
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "standard" 12" long shank that drops about 10" from the top of the receiver works with the hitch in the bottom hole on the shank.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #84
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
The height adjustment for Hensley users is pretty easy. I was using a straight stinger & traded it in for a four inch drop. Tractor Supply sells a nice reducer for the hitch receiver that fits better then the one supplied by Ford.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 AM   #85

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Lacey , Washington

Disclamer: this is my first post so I apologize ahead of time.

After 2 years of my wife wearing me down, I finally caved and bought an airstream. I just got orders for a change of duty station and will be in an job/area where I can actually have some family time...so that might have played into it the purchase timeline.

Our purchase: 2018 25FB FC. I am still in a little bit of shock, but extremely excited to join the “cult.” However, I am also the type of person that has to research for hours and hours (or years as my wife would put it in terms of buying an AS) before I can choose something. The most I have towed in the past (with a 2008 Toyota Taco) was a larger U-Haul trailer cross country...a few times. Now I have a 2017 F-250 Lariat (which to bring everyone in was purchased last year as we were ramping up our AS search). So, with my research habit, I have been combing through the internet for the last couple days, to include all six pages of this post and a couple other threads, and it is now almost midnight (wife is passed out on the couch) and I am still trying to figure out what to do.

I hate to be that newbie , but I need some help. As I have said, my towing experience comes from a cheap ball and hitch from Home Depot.

I am trying to find what I am going to put between my AS and my TV. I understand the 250 has built in sway control (that is acts as reactive), but am a little sceptical after reading this thread. I am leaning towards the Equalizer after reading the thread, but do I need the sway bars? The AS dealership is trying to sell me their system (I don’t have the specs in front of me) for $1600. I don’t pick up my AS till next Saturday (have a few days to figure it out).

Again, it’s frustrating being inexperienced on a topic, and I am usually not one to reach out (another flaw the wife likes to point out...but she is asleep and doesn’t need to find out). Hopefully this post doesn’t waste anyone’s time.
I.Am.Negan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
2017 Ford F250 and trailer sway ???

Yes use the bars with the equalizer. I have a 2017 F350 and use the bars with our 30 classic. As far as the cost. If you are buying the Airstream from a dealer any dealer, I think all most all of us make the dealer throw the hitch in as part of the deal. If you have not picked it up then I would tell them no deal unless they throw the hitch in. Just my thoughts . Enjoy your new airstream
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm running an equalizer hitch setup with a '17 F250 and a '16 Flying Cloud 25 footer, I have no complaints.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #88

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Unless it's a Hensley or a pro-pride, $1600 is a terrible price for a hitch system.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #89
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Unless it's a Hensley or a pro-pride, $1600 is a terrible price for a hitch system.
Kind of what I was thinking. The only hitch that I/we are infinitely familiar with is the ProPride, and it has served us very well, not a bit of sway, with some experience in brutal crosswinds and has allowed us to escape some very nasty weather events.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
[QUOTE=I.Am.Negan;2059678
The AS dealership is trying to sell me their system (I don’t have the specs in front of me) for $1600.[/QUOTE]

Etrailer dot com sells Equal-I-Zer hitches, all of the models they list cost less than $600. Including the one I use.

Assuming the dealership gets them at the same or better price wholesale, they are wanting to charge you $1000 to install it. And to top it off, they will install it by the “looks good from my house” method.

Push them for a free hitch. Settle for $600. Go home, read the instructions, and adjust it correctly. They WILL get it wrong. And as long as you get out of their parking lot they won’t care.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #91
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Am.Negan View Post

After 2 years of my wife wearing me down, I finally caved and bought an airstream. I just got orders for a change of duty station and will be in an job/area where I can actually have some family time...so that might have played into it the purchase timeline.

Our purchase: 2018 25FB FC. I am still in a little bit of shock, but extremely excited to join the “cult.” However, I am also the type of person that has to research for hours and hours (or years as my wife would put it in terms of buying an AS) before I can choose something. The most I have towed in the past (with a 2008 Toyota Taco) was a larger U-Haul trailer cross country...a few times. Now I have a 2017 F-250 Lariat (which to bring everyone in was purchased last year as we were ramping up our AS search). So, with my research habit, I have been combing through the internet for the last couple days, to include all six pages of this post and a couple other threads, and it is now almost midnight (wife is passed out on the couch) and I am still trying to figure out what to do.

I hate to be that newbie , but I need some help. As I have said, my towing experience comes from a cheap ball and hitch from Home Depot.

I am trying to find what I am going to put between my AS and my TV. I understand the 250 has built in sway control (that is acts as reactive), but am a little sceptical after reading this thread. I am leaning towards the Equalizer after reading the thread, but do I need the sway bars? The AS dealership is trying to sell me their system (I don’t have the specs in front of me) for $1600. I don’t pick up my AS till next Saturday (have a few days to figure it out).

Again, it’s frustrating being inexperienced on a topic, and I am usually not one to reach out (another flaw the wife likes to point out...but she is asleep and doesn’t need to find out). Hopefully this post doesn’t waste anyone’s time.
Hi

I tow with an F-250. I have "used" the Ford trailer anti-sway feature. When it cuts in, it is not at all pleasant. It's there as a last resort kind of system. With no anti-sway on the trailer (and the "right" conditions) you could trigger it several times a day. That would not be anything I would ever want to put up with. Get some sort of anti-sway hitch ....

The idea behind all these hitches is to stop the sway before it gets going. The idea behind the Ford system is to take it out *after* it starts. There is a big difference.

Bob
Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I completely concur with Uncle Bob. I also tow a Classic with a pro-pride. This past summer drove into a strong dust devil and the Ford anti-sway engaged and it was a last ditch save - but did the job. Pro-pride prevents, Ford system takes dramatic steps to stop a bad situation.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Vancouver , British Columbia
We tow a 30' Classic with our 2017 F250. We have a Reese Dual Cam Equalizer Sway Control. Works well for us.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I don't want to start an argument, but I've always wondered why Travel Trailers seem to need the equalizer hitches more than other trailers?
I've towed a lot of different trailers, and my 30' Airstream is the only one I've ever used an equalizer hitch on. for years we would tow a 20' box enclosed Wells Cargo trailer with 6 Atv's in it, and a 35 gallon fuel tank under it, that works out in the 5-6000 lb range and we used a 1992 F-250. My Airstream trailer is a 1972, and it appears by the book that it is in that range. My dad regularly tows a 24' enclosed trailer with 4 800 lb sno-mobiles in it, that package is closer to 7000 lbs, he's never owned a leveling hitch. when I tow a 4000 lb tractor on a 2500 lb trailer, I have never used a leveling hitch, but I am able to adjust the tongue weight by moving the tractor. my truck is just a 2000 GMC 2500, he runs a F-350.
The leveling hitch does help my truck out with the Airstream, but that seems like it's because they didn't put the axles in the right spot. When I design a trailer at work, I figure out what the hitch weight is I want, find the average load, and put the axles in the right spot. I will say that the cargo trailers did have a good spread between the axles, and that made them seem extremely stable, but their axles were below the floor, so you don't have to worry about wheel wells intruding.

The best case I can see for it is that if you were to tow on a low traction surface, you might want to add front axle weight, or if the trailer axles were under rated, you would need to put weight on the truck, rather than the trailer axles, then you might need to move weight forward. I run into that at work sometimes, the law says only 20,000 lbs per axle without permitting, and if your load weighs 50,0000 some of it has to go on the truck. I don't think too many travel trailers are going to hit that without going 5th wheel though. I guess I'll never know without asking the original engineers.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Am.Negan View Post

If your asking do we (most of us) recommend sway bars with your WDH, the answer is YES! As Andy from Can-Am said one time, think of sway bars in the same way as the value of an airbag with your seatbelts....you only need it when you need it. The WDH anti-sway has been obvious in a few situations while towing our 25's and with the 28'. I would not tow without it, no matter what some of the "purported experienced towing experts" say on this Forum. One good 60+mph gust of wind, a swerve due to a driver you did not see, a trucker barreling by you, or some other incident where you have to react, you want all the extra safety equipment available to keep your family and investment safe. That's my thinking anyway.

I have a 2017' F250 King Ranch I use with my 28' AS; I use the Blue Ox and like it for our needs. Used BO Sway Pro with 2 of my 25's in the past, before the 28'- never an issue and cost under $1000. Many here also use Equalizer and are happy also. Cost over $1000 is way too much $$ for either of those WDH's, so watch out there. Check the prices on Amazon and negotiate a better price with the manager of the service/parts department; I suggest also contacting your sales rep or sales manager for help, before going to pick your AS up.

They always try to mark this item (WDH) up on new buyers; check the pricing on line and discuss prior.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Don't know of an Equalizer that costs $1,600. Ours was less than $500 with 1,000# bars.

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)
2021 F350 6.7 King Ranch
USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
i Run the exact same setup except mine is a diesel. Took it cross country up north, through the Rockies, into Washington stopping at the Makah reservation and back through the Smokies. Plenty of steep hills and flat country buffeting us with winds. You will be fine with the equalizer; never felt the need for anything more complicated and yes, we experienced the need once or twice. Think of it as paying for flood insurance even when you aren’t in a flood zone - until that 500yr storm puts you in one.

Equalizer is easy to operate by using the electric jack to life the tail of the truck. Note that the pickup tailgate won’t go all the way down when hooked up unless as some have done, you turn the jack 90 degrees.

We installed a cheap pair of equalizer accessory plastic squares on the trailer plate where the bars hook up and it significantly dampened the squeak. As we had to have our system corrected by Northwest Airstream while we were out your way, I can say with full confidence that if they are your dealer you are in very good hands. I even have a spare stinger as the NJ dealer sold us entirely the wrong parts.

As an aside, make haste slowly with the accessories. We researched for months before buying our trailer gear and it made a huge difference. Also, are your own checklist and use it every time you depart and arrive. You won’t be sorry.

Enjoy
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #98
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of beans View Post
I don't want to start an argument, but I've always wondered why Travel Trailers seem to need the equalizer hitches more than other trailers?
I've towed a lot of different trailers, and my 30' Airstream is the only one I've ever used an equalizer hitch on. for years we would tow a 20' box enclosed Wells Cargo trailer with 6 Atv's in it, and a 35 gallon fuel tank under it, that works out in the 5-6000 lb range and we used a 1992 F-250. My Airstream trailer is a 1972, and it appears by the book that it is in that range. My dad regularly tows a 24' enclosed trailer with 4 800 lb sno-mobiles in it, that package is closer to 7000 lbs, he's never owned a leveling hitch. when I tow a 4000 lb tractor on a 2500 lb trailer, I have never used a leveling hitch, but I am able to adjust the tongue weight by moving the tractor. my truck is just a 2000 GMC 2500, he runs a F-350.
The leveling hitch does help my truck out with the Airstream, but that seems like it's because they didn't put the axles in the right spot. When I design a trailer at work, I figure out what the hitch weight is I want, find the average load, and put the axles in the right spot. I will say that the cargo trailers did have a good spread between the axles, and that made them seem extremely stable, but their axles were below the floor, so you don't have to worry about wheel wells intruding.

The best case I can see for it is that if you were to tow on a low traction surface, you might want to add front axle weight, or if the trailer axles were under rated, you would need to put weight on the truck, rather than the trailer axles, then you might need to move weight forward. I run into that at work sometimes, the law says only 20,000 lbs per axle without permitting, and if your load weighs 50,0000 some of it has to go on the truck. I don't think too many travel trailers are going to hit that without going 5th wheel though. I guess I'll never know without asking the original engineers.
Hi

The most basic reason is load balance. You rarely load a TT as symmetrically or as close to the ground as a cargo hauler. The delivery guys seem to do ok on empty trailers with no WD or AS. The second is wind / air flow. The TT has a lot bigger sides / front / rear. In addition you don't have vents in them.

Bob
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I do not have a tail gate/hitch motor rub problem with my BO; I did with my F150, but not with my F250 and the newer jack motor...no issues hitting with this set up..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The most basic reason is load balance. You rarely load a TT as symmetrically or as close to the ground as a cargo hauler. The delivery guys seem to do ok on empty trailers with no WD or AS. The second is wind / air flow. The TT has a lot bigger sides / front / rear. In addition you don't have vents in them.

Bob
I'll agree with the unbalanced load, but my 30' airstream is much smaller and more aerodynamic than the big box cargo trailer, with that one the tires were completely below the floor, it was 6 ft high iand 8' wide inside, but it didn't have a bathroom and refrigerator on one side.
the airstream pulls much more like my boat than the cargo trailer, that thing was a big square brick. It actually pulled better with a camper in the truck to guide air over it.