Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #61

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Let's move back toward the thread topic please.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Okay.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Sorry but I have been in the automobile business for 43 years .
I am certified in medium and Hd trucks.In my career I have ordered thousands of new vehicles traded for thousands more.
Drove on most of the racetracks in the United States and most of the famous ones in Europe.I have worked with and consulted for Chevrolet,Mercedes Benz,Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche,Rolls Royce,Bentley,Lotus,Mclaren just to name a few.I am also a ASE certified technician and started building engines in my bedroom when I was 13 and currently restore vintage motorcycles to relax.I have won many accolades over the years that I won't bore u with....

.I enjoy helping others on this forum but some who pretend to be experts and preach on this forum have know clue other than what they read on Canadian websites or what they feel with the seat of there pants. and they cause people to make the wrong choices in tow vehicles.
Sorry I am still learning but not from slowmover and his cronies.

I am sure slowmover is a great truck driver.
Fred Puhn, his book on vehicle handling. Terms and definitions. (Forgotten them, or claim they don't apply? Which is it?)

Andrew Thomson in all of his Hitch Hints columns in RV Lifestyle; and then info at the family Can Am website. Plus his posts here, as there aren't many.

Andy Rogozinski (Inland RV) in his posts here; cross reference terms in a search as he has a great number of posts.

That'll cover most of what others have relied upon. There are those specifically experienced with some equipment past that.

I'm third-generation, well more than a half-century. Grew up with this. Driving since 1973. We acquired what we knew as family the old-fashioned painstaking way. We weren't accident investigators like Inland Andy, nor had we systematized the approach as did Thomson & family at Can Am. (But you show no inkling of having had the decency to read through them).

You say you've been in business, yet you find the use of a scale to find an acceptable RANGE of WD adjustments to be trolling? (Same for TV tire pressure).

You're comfortable selling a man a badly spec'd vehicle based on untested premises? That's how it appears. Kinda like the salesmen who sold the tractor I'm sitting in now. Lack of applicable knowledge.

Where's your alternative in recommending where people start? SAE J2807? It's full of holes. So, what points are valid, which are shaky, and which are junk?

Has Airstream or SAE asked you to consult on the matter?

I could simply say I've been doing this the better part of a half century, and recommend you rely on my experience. My formal education, that was better than yours? That I've used cars and pickups to tow these trailers, and that I've used pickups hauling oilfield, etc; besides a fair range in Class 8 the past twenty? Having to advise my current company on fifth wheel height and trailer kingpin location to correct several problems? (Guess they bought 20+ tractors and trailers from guys like you. Problems that now have to expensively remedied in the field ) Etc.

I point out, constantly, where to go and verify: authors, and how to use numbers. That the value of same is a baseline for all future changes. That it is invaluable in diagnosing driveabilty problems, etc. There are threads on all of this, if doubt needs persuasion.

Since you appear to be one of the unwashed, which of any of the above have you read through? Digested. If this is the Achilles Heel to your expertise, I recommend you remedy it.

And then acquire the numbers and test your own rig.

Brakes aren't "adequate"; on your rig you can do a full emergency stop from 65-mph in (how many feet)? And how is going to a one ton superior to antilock trailer disc brakes. As that's usually the problem, there? An unloaded bed, thus inferior front/rear weight distribution with the TV itself isn't a solution. Makes it worse.

You've split the trailer axles (as did switz) and found the L/R and FF/RR weight discrepancies, etc. Worked a few details, satisfactorily.

Etc

You think a one ton better than a half-ton, put up the scale tickets and test results.

What determines that "need"?

If you disagree, why? If the physics is against you, then extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.

Have at it.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I still can't figure out how driving on race tracks around the world, restoring mc, and consulting major mfg has anything to do with towing knowledge and experience. That's like saying since I have 400,000 miles on touring mc that that qualifies me as a towing expert, it does not! Two dif things.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Once again nothing applies to this post from either one of you......
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #66

2002 30' Classic
Utterson , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinnj View Post
i just picked up a 2017 f250 6.2 4x4 crew cab for my 30' bunk. Absolutely no problems towing thus far and i've been towing with an empty bed.

Just picked up a truck cap and loaded up the bed. Probably 700 lbs or more back there. Won't tow again for 3 weeks, but i can report back at that time.
hello...we just ordered a 2017 f250 super duty with the fx4 package and will be towing a 30' airstream...can you advise if your vehicle has the fx4 package or not....from what i've been reading it sounds like the suspension is to soft on some of th f250 trucks and the hitch is far to high ...can offer any advise or info. On how to solve this problem of swaying while towing my airstream with the new 2017 once it is delivered......currently have a2011 f250 nd have absolutely no trouble what so ever towing with it....tahnks very much rd
Rosbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
2017 Ford F250 and trailer sway ???

The fx4 package includes Rancho shocks,skid plates and down hill descent.None of which will cause a soft suspension situation or height change.If the 2011 was working for you.Just wait until you get in the 2017.It is a huge change for the good.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #68
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Fx4

Always order with the FX4 pkg for the skid shields alone, the "Rancho" shocks that come with the pkg are junk in my opinion and am in the process of replacing them now. Our 17 pulls beautifully, couldn't be happier.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #69
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The FX4 happened to be on the truck the dealer could find. Thus I tow with a 30' Classic with a F-250 and an FX4 package. The shocks are pretty but that's the best thing I can say about them. Height wise, it's no worse than the other 4x4 F250's. They all sit way off the ground. Soft ride wise, it's got the full heavy duty spring package on it. That does not change with FX4 or no FX4. It's not the rough ride you used to get in an F250 ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
17 F250 6.7 FX4 4x4 King Ranch pulling 17' 28FC Twin

We now have 9K on our 2 month old F250...the ride in the 17' vs 16' and earlier models, is night and day. Very smooth suspension...very much like my F150 I had last 6 years. Really, very nice ride! The FX4 package gives you skid plates, but the F250 sits high anyway vs the F150, so for my driving, I would rarely be concerned about that feature...came that way so why not? The hill descent control is nice, but not sure it is part of FX4 package? I know it came with one of the packages?
Anyway, great truck. I set the Automatic Engine Brake switch, set the speed with the cruise control, and pretty much keep my foot off the gas or brake going up or down the Rockies here in MT...works amazing...not sure about the 6.2 but the 6.7 is a very nice TV! I am glad the wife talked me into it! Overall, the new F250 is excellent.
I remember one of the Forum comments was, it will get 13 MPG towing, and 15 MPG not towing. You will not save any money owning a diesel, but it does the job without any sweat.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
2017 Ford F250 and trailer sway ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Always order with the FX4 pkg for the skid shields alone, the "Rancho" shocks that come with the pkg are junk in my opinion and am in the process of replacing them now. Our 17 pulls beautifully, couldn't be happier.

You are correct about the Rancho shocks.When removed you can compress them fully with one hand( with ease)and they take two minutes to rebound.Bilstein 5100's work great.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Study up a bit on the engine braking stuff if you have an F-250. It does do a VERY good job of braking, even with the gas engine. It's also awfully easy to set up and use. Since it does not do any braking on the trailer, there can be downsides to it. At least understand what the issues are (trailer "pushing" TV) ahead of time. To me it's better to make an informed decision than to find out after the fact.

Bob
Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #73
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Study up a bit on the engine braking stuff if you have an F-250. It does do a VERY good job of braking, even with the gas engine. It's also awfully easy to set up and use. Since it does not do any braking on the trailer, there can be downsides to it. At least understand what the issues are (trailer "pushing" TV) ahead of time. To me it's better to make an informed decision than to find out after the fact.

Bob
This can't emphasized highly enough. That which slows the TV but not the TT a proportionate amount is BAD.

Hitch must remain in tension, NOT compression.

Otherwise one is being set up for the highly exciting condition of the trailer attempting to pass the truck.

One can argue that electric gizmos will save the day, but that DOES NOT cover the contingency adequately.

Do you have a rilly cute name for your trailer? Can't wait to hear what you call it as she starts to come around.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
This can't emphasized highly enough. That which slows the TV but not the TT a proportionate amount is BAD.

Hitch must remain in tension, NOT compression.

Otherwise one is being set up for the highly exciting condition of the trailer attempting to pass the truck.

One can argue that electric gizmos will save the day, but that DOES NOT cover the contingency adequately.

Do you have a rilly cute name for your trailer? Can't wait to hear what you call it as she starts to come around.

A lot depends on the length and the weight of your tow vehicle.The chances of a 2017 F250 or F350 being pushed around by a trailer on dry pavement are slim.But on the flip side (no pun intended)if you are one of those pulling a trailer with a lightweight or short wheelbase vehicle this changes drastically as the laws of physics come into play quickly

Once again common sense goes a long way when towing.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
From high speeds interstate to wet mountain switch backs I have yet have my truck with exhaust brake get pushed around by a heavy trailer. I prefer to control heavy loads with the accelerator pedal more so than the service brakes. I would absolutely HATE not having the exhaust brake to control the load.
On the other hand my farm tractor has been pushed around plenty while baling hay on steep hillsides. Have to be on your toes so you don't end up in the creek, hitting a tree, take out a fence or flip over....
Just use some common sense when your towing - circumstances will dictate the speed in which one travels.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #76
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
A lot depends on the length and the weight of your tow vehicle.The chances of a 2017 F250 or F350 being pushed around by a trailer on dry pavement are slim.But on the flip side (no pun intended)if you are one of those pulling a trailer with a lightweight or short wheelbase vehicle this changes drastically as the laws of physics come into play quickly

Once again common sense goes a long way when towing.

It's the wind load on the trailer along with being in compression.

High TV weight (high COG; solid axle) will turn it over sooner, not later. The wind gets underneath, too, remember. A 4WD truck has plenty of deficiencies.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It's the wind load on the trailer along with being in compression.

High TV weight (high COG; solid axle) will turn it over sooner, not later. The wind gets underneath, too, remember. A 4WD truck has plenty of deficiencies.
Just take it slow if it's windy. Problem solved.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #78
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Just take it slow if it's windy. Problem solved.
Hi

At least around here the risk is that you come down the hill and move out of a wind shadow. You go from zip for wind to yikes !! in not a lot of time. Tall bridges over a valley / river are a great one for this. Understand the issue and watch out .... Also understand that "in compression" you will have a bit different steering than "in tension". It feels weird. It's slightly less weird if you understand what and why. Yes, how much difference you see is a "that depends" sort of thing. If you put the brakes on mid curve ... watch for the shift ... yikes .....

Bob
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Maybe you missed this recent thread, we don't know the details but we do know it's Ram 3500 long wheelbase/Equal-I-Zer hitch/Airstream Classic facing the opposite direction of travel.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...de-171089.html

My good friend and fellow Airstreamer completely lost their F250/28' Airstream combination to rollover down the embankment in the crosswinds and passes of Arizona some years ago.

Our strategy is a Hensley/ProPride hitch to eliminate the possibility of trailer sway, and a combination of engine/transmission and truck/Airstream service braking (brake controller set to engage trailer brakes with the truck brakes) to minimize compression on the hitch. This has worked flawlessly in extensive travel throughout the country, even with our Ram 1500 Reg Cab 120" wheelbase. Six years on the Airstream and 50K on the Ram, the brakes of each had little wear.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 AM   #80
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
All summer I've been moving my 34' S/O that has drum brakes with my 2017 F-250. I'm totally impressed with the Ford technology, especially the built in brake controller. In a couple days and for the first time, I need to tow my 25' Airstream with disk brakes. Has anyone experienced towing a disk brakes AS using using the F-250 brake controller? What's your opinion/experience?
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote