Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #21

2014 28' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Towing with Tundra

As I stated in my post my problem was never with the truck's ability to tow. The 5.7 is a brute and did a good job of towing my 28 foot trailer.
My problem was always with the ability to comply with the Mfg. stated load of 1303 lbs. Please remember the 28' has one of the highest tongue weights and in most cases its higher then listed on front of trailer when loaded.
I was never able to keep the back of my truck empty always needed room for all the camping items carried by many of us.
After moving up to the bigger truck F250 diesel I am much more confortable with it's load capacity. I am also able to get Slightly better milage and the diesel has more reserve power then any truck I have had. Although Ford is very found of these truck and prices them accordingly.
It seems to me this is about "What makes each of us comfortable".
747 Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would think a 2015 Tundra would have more payload and towing capacity than a 2015 Yukon, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Gonna throw my two cents in here: I just came out of a situation where I could have been killed, and the trailer (not an AS) was destroyed. Truck was totalled. I was pulling an R-Poc 81' trailer with a Toyota FJ Cruiser w/towing package. All weights were within specs, although not by much. On a downhill run while slowing gradually an 18 wheeler passed me way too fast and way too close! I found myself in ditch on the side of the road pointed back the other way. No I did not have a Hensley hitch.

I have since done a LOT of research and experimentation and may be a wee bit paranoid, so take this with that in mind. I now own a Silverado 2500 Duramax (diesel) 4WD Crew Cab and use it to pull a 27' AS Eddie Bauer. It cruises along at 65 on cruise control up some pretty amazing hills without a downshift (in trailering mode). I am using an Equalizer hitch, and not a sign of sway comes my way. Through off and on traffic delays and construction areas I averaged just over 12mpg.

I arrived at my decision after not only researching the heck out of the issue, but talking with folks that routinely pull trailers of a similar size and weight all over the country. They were unanimous in strongly recommending a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 truck. Several had owned 1/2 ton pickups and traded them in. At least two of them had previously had Tundras, but each told me about one-time experiences that scared them silly and caused them to trade in their Tundras. Most seemed to prefer Chevy trucks and the Duramax diesel.

I have previously pulled a similar size and weight boat and trailer using a Ford 1500 with the trailer package. If you had asked me while I was doing that if I was happy, I would have definitely said, "Yes!"

The consistent rule I picked up from the professionals was that the truck tow capacity should be approximately twice the trailer weight. That leaves plenty of room for luggage, equipment, people, etc. loaded in the truck, and some maneuver room when things start going to pieces on the highway.

Prior to the purchase, I almost bought the Tundra to pull my AS. I will testify readily that I am more than pleased with the decision I made. It meant stretching out the payments to six years, but the other thing I noticed was the resale values on aging diesel 4x4 3/4 ton trucks versus the gas 1/2 tons of any category. The difference was quite notable.

Perhaps because of the near-death experience, I am today a firm believer in not trying to put a trailer back there that is at or near the towing capacity of the truck.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You have chosen well. Toy may have a little more than you need, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
That being said, the Tundra, although not a 3/4 ton diesel, is a far better tow vehicle than an FJ Cruiser. I bought the Tundra to overcome the limitations of my Nissan Pathfinder, which I still own, but limit towing with it to a 5x10 3,500# GVW utility trailer.
You bought your Silverado Duramax/Allison to overcome the limitations of my Tundra.
The Silverado is awesome, but I am true blue, dyed in the wool Toyota till I die. If I had to buy another truck today, it would be another Tundra.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
6' bed or 8' bed ?

hey everyone, I've been looking for a tundra for a while and finally found one on CL, jeez .. seems like every owner has an inflated opinion of what these trucks are worth! Trouble is, the 4wd are rare and don't come up very often.
this guy is willing to "settle" for about $1300.00 more than what i believe it really worth on kbb. ... anyways my question is .. this is a long bed, wondering if I'd regret over a shorter bed? any insights from owners would be most appreciated.
thinking maybe too long as would be pulling at 31' trailer , hows the turning circle compared with shorter bed? and what about parking !!

thx, Nick
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The long bed could be handy, but payload limits how much you will really put in there-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
We just got an EB 27 Getting a vehicle to tow it as had like concerns about The Tundra though I love it. We are Looking at a Silverado 1500 with Max trailering package. 6.2 L 8 speed. Reading this thread I am now concerned about this being enough. Or should we go to the 2500? We have Three Golden retrievers and my wife and I #350. We plan on couple of generators ,kayaks and bikes.So it seems we will get over our max to keep it safe.After all its about control and stopping.Alot of these engines will pull the loads.
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
We just got an EB 27 Getting a vehicle to tow it as had like concerns about The Tundra though I love it. We are Looking at a Silverado 1500 with Max trailering package. 6.2 L 8 speed. Reading this thread I am now concerned about this being enough. Or should we go to the 2500? We have Three Golden retrievers and my wife and I #350. We plan on couple of generators ,kayaks and bikes.So it seems we will get over our max to keep it safe.After all its about control and stopping.Alot of these engines will pull the loads.Do you think thats ok or should we move up?
Thanks
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I think the payload will be around 1900lbs reading other posts around here. The Chevy HD would have a lot more payload if you go gas but not sure about the 6.0L engine performance and fuel economy with all that weight. A Duramax LT would put you around 2400lbs. The 6.2L requires premium fuel and only has a 26gal fuel tank while the Duramax has 36 gal. I moved from a 2010 Tundra DC 2x4 to a Ram 2500 CC CTD. The payload of the Tundra was 1465 and the Ram is 2089. We decided to move to a 3/4t truck as we are planning extensive travels out west in a couple of years.

Kelvin
Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
We just got an EB 27 Getting a vehicle to tow it as had like concerns about The Tundra though I love it. We are Looking at a Silverado 1500 with Max trailering package. 6.2 L 8 speed. Reading this thread I am now concerned about this being enough. Or should we go to the 2500? We have Three Golden retrievers and my wife and I #350. We plan on couple of generators ,kayaks and bikes.So it seems we will get over our max to keep it safe.After all its about control and stopping.Alot of these engines will pull the loads.Do you think thats ok or should we move up?
Thanks
Chrisy... considering your payload requirements, I'd go straight to a Silverado or Sierra 2500 with Duramax/Allison.

Our payload is similar to yours, possibly slightly heavier. We went with a Sierra Denali HD with Duramax/Allison and are so thrilled with the truck on its own, as well as how wonderfully matched it is to our Airstream. The engine is smooth, powerful, and very quiet. It is a pure pleasure to drive and tow with.

We live in Arizona and often travel through the many mountains ranges in Arizona, the Rockies, & the Sierra Nevada range and the pulling and engine braking performance of this truck with our 30' AS are exceptional.

Our truck's payload (with the full luxury options that the Denali has) is just about 2300#. With a less-fully equipped version, there would probably be a little more payload. 2300# payload meets our needs well, with a little extra buffer payload still on tap. I'm not keen on pushing payloads to the max (or beyond) when towing.

I'm not sure about all the Silverado/Sierra models, but the Denali HD also has 4-wheel disc brakes. We also got 4-wheel drive, which we are very thankful for, as we often find national forest 4WD trails that we can easily handle with the higher ground clearance and 4-wheel drive on tap. We have used 4WD numerous times in the few months that we have had the truck.

At present, we're in the Rockies (Ouray/Telluride, Colorado) and are using the truck in 4WD to access some of the mountain passes here in the Rockies. Magnificent! Getting to many of these awesome places would not be possible without the 4WD capability. And having the Duramax gives plenty of great power, even here at 12,000 feet elevation. Captured these images here yesterday:

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm still towing a 30' with a Tundra.
I have heard the 27' trailers have more tongue weight than the 30'.
I'm nearly maxed out on payload, but it handles fine- plenty of power snd as high as 13 mpg towing-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
6'.5' vs 8' bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hey everyone, I've been looking for a tundra for a while and finally found one on CL, jeez .. seems like every owner has an inflated opinion of what these trucks are worth! Trouble is, the 4wd are rare and don't come up very often.
this guy is willing to "settle" for about $1300.00 more than what i believe it really worth on kbb. ... anyways my question is .. this is a long bed, wondering if I'd regret over a shorter bed? any insights from owners would be most appreciated.
thinking maybe too long as would be pulling at 31' trailer , hows the turning circle compared with shorter bed? and what about parking !!

thx, Nick
The longer truck is better for towing a longer trailer but less maneuverable when unhooked. Less chance for sway under all conditions but especially when going down hill on steep grades which amplifies any sway tendency.

I have a 6.5' bed double cab and a vintage 28' (6000# loaded) which tows great, but, I wouldn't want a longer trailer with that length truck. The front wheels turn the same amount so turn radius is similar but you have to swing wider with the longer truck or risk hitting something with the center overhang (done it in a SOB). When backing the trailer it will take longer to react to steering input and will require a larger turn radius to prevent jackknifing. Your truck is no longer than a 3/4 or 1 ton SOB so I would park out in the lot and walk farther to the store and be happy towing with a longer truck.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #33

2016 19' International
2012 Interstate Coach
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This car is definately capable of towing the trailer. It's not a big deal for it)
Here's an article about it) Tundra towing capacity
Misha_9998 is offline   Reply With Quote