RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
2010 Suburban 1/2 ton w/tranny cooler...

First of all, Hi! I've been browsing a little and am seriously considering buying an AS.

Recently I bought a 2010 Suburban. It didn't have the Heavy Duty towing package but I've added a transmission fluid cooler and a brake controller. I'm told that the truck can tow 7400lbs.

I'm interested in either a 25' or 27' flying cloud but am concerned about the weight some. I recently rented a cheap white box trailer that was 26" with an UGVW of 6000lbs and I was not impressed.

Does anyone tow anything like that with a vehicle like mine? (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc.)

Thanks,
Phil
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Dave Park's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 973
Note that your load requires the use of a WD hitch. Without that, your tow capacity is typically halved by the manufacturer.
__________________
TX-16
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Note that your load requires the use of a WD hitch. Without that, your tow capacity is typically halved by the manufacturer.

I did notice that and any TT I buy will be set up with a a WD and probably anti-sway system. The white box was set up with a WD system but I'm not sure if it was properly tensioned.

Could a better WD and anti-sway system be the answer?
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
4RXLA's Avatar
 
1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 551
Images: 33
Blog Entries: 12
I think you might be a little underpowered. I towed a 6000lb SOB with a 2006 Tahoe half ton and I was not comfortable with the handling. The AS will be heavier. You lilkely will need sway control and be prepared to slow down in the mountains.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Dave Park's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 973
Are you considering an older or smaller AS or a newer or larger AS?
__________________
TX-16
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Are you considering an older or smaller AS or a newer or larger AS?
So you're saying that I can go old and big or new and small but not new and big?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled by the idea of either, but it may be that or a new TV and the wife will NOT go for that. Unless, of course, Chevy stops teasing me and finally puts out that Suburban with the 4.5 turbo diesel V8. I'd buy that in an instant regardless of price (ok, maybe not regardless, but I'd strongly consider it).
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Phil,

Welcome to the forum. You don't state what engine your Suburban is equipped with, but even more important, what rearend gear ratio it is equipped with. I believe the trucks with the towing package have the 3.73:1 ratio, and the standard, the 3.08:1. Big difference.

If I were you, and were seriously considering towing a travel trailer of any kind, I'd find out for sure what gear the Sub is equipped with, and have it changed to the 3.73 if possible.

I used to tow a 25' with a 1/2 ton GMC pickup with the 5.3L engine, and the 3.73 gears, and it was adequate if not in the mountains. I had the gears changed to 4.10 (custom shop only option), and it was even better.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,430
A 27' flying cloud will tow easier than the white box you towed before.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Phil,

Welcome to the forum. You don't state what engine your Suburban is equipped with, but even more important, what rearend gear ratio it is equipped with. I believe the trucks with the towing package have the 3.73:1 ratio, and the standard, the 3.08:1. Big difference.

If I were you, and were seriously considering towing a travel trailer of any kind, I'd find out for sure what gear the Sub is equipped with, and have it changed to the 3.73 if possible.

I used to tow a 25' with a 1/2 ton GMC pickup with the 5.3L engine, and the 3.73 gears, and it was adequate if not in the mountains. I had the gears changed to 4.10 (custom shop only option), and it was even better.
Sorry for the oversight. It's the 5.3 V8 and you're right on with the rear-end ratio. I'll call around and see what a swap would cost. I bet it would be less than a new truck. I live in Eugene, Oregon and so I would have to go over mountains in no matter what direction I go.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
Blog Entries: 20
Here in eastern South Dakota, there ain't nothin between me and Texas but one barbed wire fence. I have to go west 400 miles and turn left to find the first hill. North there's no hills at all as far as I been. East we have to go all the way to the Smokies to find a test hill. A 1/2 ton with a 5.3'd be no problem to tow 7400 lbs here.

Gary
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
https://visitsiouxfalls.com/assets/i...uxfalls-og.jpg
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
Changed my rear end to a 4.10 in my 07 4sp auto silverado from a 3.2? Cost with speedo recalculation from a dealer was 1800 dollars. Can be done for less but independent shops all wanted to go for either rebuit or used rearends. Also dealer had a better warranty on parts and labor. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Changed my rear end to a 4.10 in my 07 4sp auto silverado from a 3.2? Cost with speedo recalculation from a dealer was 1800 dollars. Can be done for less but independent shops all wanted to go for either rebuit or used rearends. Also dealer had a better warranty on parts and labor. jim
I tried to get my '07 GMC 1/2 ton changed to 4.10 at the dealer and was told they would not do it because GM did not offer 4.10 gears for that housing, and they would not install after market gears. Had to go to an independent shop to get it done (three times before they got it tolerable by the way), and then had to buy a programmer to correct the speedometer error, which would cause the computer to alarm before it was recalibrated.

By the way, anyone need an '07-'08 GM 1/2 ton programmer? I've got one only used once.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
There were two different Silverados in 2007. The classic like mine was the old model, perhaps you have a later model . The classic looks like a 2006 and older, the new one was redesigned. There were mechanical as well as option changes. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Dave Park's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 973
I think that's when I'd be scouring breaker yards for an 07 with the ratio you want that had front end damage, and buy the complete axle.

Luckily, my FX4 has the perfect ratio and HD tow package. I made it a buying requirement or I knew I'd be going through this
__________________
TX-16
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,319
As far as I know, they both had the same rear end housing....the GM 8 bolt.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
Is this the TV for the new 25' Eddie Bauer (GVWR 7.3k)? I see from that other thread that the inaugural trip is but a few weeks away.

You may have already covered or be intimately familiar with the following. If not, then once done you'll appreciate the very significant difference made as to hitch rigging.

Truck specs (GAWR, GVWR)?

Hitch brand and model?

Certified scale weight on empty & loaded TV already in place?

TW of empty trailer (full fresh water & propane)?

Dealers are sloppy on this, in general.

A bit of preliminary work and then going across a CAT Scale will dial in the combination as to the WDH.

There's a difference between fairly-good and finger-tip. A big one.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,915
Images: 36
Just to Clarify...

... you are a victim of the EPA and GM's attempt to increase their fleet MPG averages.

You have a 5.3 L with a 3.08 RA. Your towing capacity is 5100, not 7400.

I made the same, sad discovery when I purchased my 2009 Suburban.

I sure wish Congress would quit trying to design cars. They have ruined the venerable Suburban.
__________________
Ken L
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB
2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 6.2L Max Tow
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... you are a victim of the EPA and GM's attempt to increase their fleet MPG averages.

You have a 5.3 L with a 3.08 RA. Your towing capacity is 5100, not 7400.

I made the same, sad discovery when I purchased my 2009 Suburban.

I sure wish Congress would quit trying to design cars. They have ruined the venerable Suburban.
Yeah, I may very well be upgrading to 3.73 gearing once I've taken it for a few trips. The owners manual is very interesting on the subject of towing capacities for the various equipment options. The. 3.08 is rated at 5000 and the 3.42 w/ HD cooling package is rated at 7900. The really interesting thing is that the 3.42 w/o the cooling package is only rated at 5400 (I didn't even know that you could get it that way, but it's in the manual anyway).

I am NOT saying that the information above supports the inference that a 3.08 w/transmission cooler will be able to comfortably tow 7400 but it does seem that way. In any event, I've towed a SOB that was 6000 dry and the transmission fluid never got over 200 degrees.

I imagine that I, like many others on here, will end up making some TV adjustments in order to support the AS habit.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Wow, now that's what I call cross referencing! These threads are in totally different forums!

I'll try to answer as best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Is this the TV for the new 25' Eddie Bauer (GVWR 7.3k)? I see from that other thread that the inaugural trip is but a few weeks away.

You may have already covered or be intimately familiar with the following. If not, then once done you'll appreciate the very significant difference made as to hitch rigging.

Truck specs (GAWR, GVWR)?
Rear: 4200lbs
Front: 3600lbs
GVRW: 7400lbs


Quote:
Hitch brand and model?
Equi-l-izer (for now) because the dealer is throwing it in.

Quote:
Certified scale weight on empty & loaded TV already in place?
No

Quote:
TW of empty trailer (full fresh water & propane)?
6055... that's with LP and a full fresh tank

Quote:
Dealers are sloppy on this, in general.

A bit of preliminary work and then going across a CAT Scale will dial in the combination as to the WDH.

There's a difference between fairly-good and finger-tip. A big one.
There is a CAT scale near my house and I plan on figuring out when a good time to go would be so that I can go get it all dialed in.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
phbarnhart's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 411
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I think that's when I'd be scouring breaker yards for an 07 with the ratio you want that had front end damage, and buy the complete axle.

Luckily, my FX4 has the perfect ratio and HD tow package. I made it a buying requirement or I knew I'd be going through this
Next time. Honestly, we've only had the Suburban for 18 months but when we bought it we had no idea that we would be buying an Airstream a year and a half later. We just rented SOB trailers several times last, and then this, summer and kind of fell in love with the aluminum and.... well you know how it goes.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1/2 ton


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Suburban 2500 or 2010 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 laynlow Tow Vehicles 37 03-15-2010 10:48 PM
Transmission cooler 2008 Suburban. adonh Tow Vehicles 39 09-02-2008 11:25 PM
Suburban 3/4 Ton vs. Expedition EL Roadtech Tow Vehicles 19 12-23-2007 07:04 AM
Suburban 05 3/4 ton 6L 4.1 axle chaimemet Tow Vehicles 9 04-21-2007 08:59 PM
2007 3/4 ton Suburban changes..... Silvertwinkie Tow Vehicles 38 05-16-2006 01:26 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.