Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
They have no clue what they are talking about. They said the 840lbs tongue really only puts about 200lbs of weight on your tv.
So true. I have to say also that even at RV stores I have gotten hogwash. I have to tell you though that the tongue weight does not change really no matter what you do. Also, after spending 4 hours playing with adjustments on my own WD hitch I have learned that there is only so much adjustment there too. I got an RV Handbook for free at CmgWrld and it talks about this but what it states on this subject is not accurate either. It is impossible. You are not that far off. Oh, and know this that Ford weighs their trucks with a full tank. I verified this. Look for a lighter hitch design, etc. there are some adjustments you can make. The 1050 lbs for the receiver though is accurate.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
There is a sticker on the door of the truck that says "the total weight
of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1368lbs".
check your sticker again. Also, look up your truck's build data using its VIN# on Ford's site. Is yours a 4X drive?. Check for the beefed up axle code too. You are within the tow rating for sure aside from the payload issue.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Ford also figures in 150lbs for the driver of the truck.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
WOW! They missed by a long shot with that estimate on me.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Woof,
I would like more engine power at times, but do not have any concerns over control or braking.

Don
I agree. I believe that when you know that you are at or over the GV or rear axle weight rating that as long as you drive defensively and cautiously and don't have any concerns over control or braking, that you can still tow in a safe and responsible manner. It is just another of life's many compromises. Not everyone can afford or wants what comes with a 60k diesel TV.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Found this on-line for 2011 models, they probably have one for '10's but did take the time to look.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...d_Workbook.pdf

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I faced a similar situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I have a 2010 F150 5.4L with tow package, rated to tow 9600lbs
its a super crew short box, 145" wheel base with a 3.55 axel ratio
the max tongue weight is 1050lbs.

I will have 4 passengers and two large dogs inside weighing in at 750lbs.

I am looking at the 2013 25FB flying cloud which has a tongue weight of 837lbs and max gross weight of 7300lbs.

Does a hitch weight of 837 on the trailer mean you are putting 837lbs on your truck? I have read so many treads and everyone always says to "watch that payload". There is a sticker on the door of the truck that says "the total weight
of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1368lbs".

How does a weight distributing hitch effect the payload number?

I know the truck can pull it, I just need to know if the family can come too?
My situation was similar, but with less passengers.

I towed my 25' Safari for two years with a 2010 Silverado 1500. I went on three 2000 +/- mile trips and several shorter trips through the Appalachian mountains, all without issues. I only had two passengers, my wife and me. Normally all I had in the truck bed was a tool box, a Honda 2000 generator, and a few other light weight things. Each of the several times I stopped on the scales fully loaded the tow vehicle was always right at the GVRW. I recently upgraded to a 2500 for this reason.

To answer your questions:
With a weight distributing hitch, the payload limit of the tow vehicle stays the same. WD only affects the distribution of the payload by shifting weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow vehicle.

Yes, you can take the family. But do you want to risk their lives by exceeding the tow vehicle's limits?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
I believe that payload is confusing and you can't measure it directly. The only spec that counts is GVWR of the TV and the rear axle rating. Like a previous poster said, drive your TV with yourself, a full tank of fuel and normal stuff in the truck to a CAT scale. Weigh your truck. Subtract this weight from the truck GVWR and this is your real payload.

Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
I believe that payload is confusing and you can't measure it directly. The only spec that counts is GVWR of the TV and the rear axle rating. Like a previous poster said, drive your TV with yourself, a full tank of fuel and normal stuff in the truck to a CAT scale. Weigh your truck. Subtract this weight from the truck GVWR and this is your real payload.

Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Yes, you can take the family. But do you want to risk their lives by exceeding the tow vehicle's limits?
Alan

I am an engineer and I don't believe it is that simple. At my last weigh in I was 370 lbs under the rear axle weight rating of 4,100 lbs, but 60 lbs over the GVWR of the TV of 6,900 lbs. I certainly don't believe that I am putting my families lives (and others on the road) at risk. There are just so many other variables. As Don said, as long as you can tow so that you have confidence in your control and braking ability, then you are OK. We all have to make this decision. The more knowledge we have, the better we can do at making this decision.

Back when I was towing my 84 Excella with my 93 GMC 3/4 ton van, I really did not know very much about towing. My Excella weighed about 500 lbs less that the max trailer weight rating of the van, but I felt like the control and braking was totally inadequate. So back then, I was ignorant and believed that I was towing under the max specs of the TV. So I was "legal" because I was towing at less than the manufacturers numbers,yet I felt unsafe due to the poor handling and inadequate braking of my towing rig.

This was the primary reason why I bought a new Tundra in 08.

Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Alan

I am an engineer and I don't believe it is that simple. At my last weigh in I was 370 lbs under the rear axle weight rating of 4,100 lbs, but 60 lbs over the GVWR of the TV of 6,900 lbs. I certainly don't believe that I am putting my families lives (and others on the road) at risk. There are just so many other variables. As Don said, as long as you can tow so that you have confidence in your control and braking ability, then you are OK. We all have to make this decision. The more knowledge we have, the better we can do at making this decision.

Back when I was towing my 84 Excella with my 93 GMC 3/4 ton van, I really did not know very much about towing. My Excella weighed about 500 lbs less that the max trailer weight rating of the van, but I felt like the control and braking was totally inadequate. So back then, I was ignorant and believed that I was towing under the max specs of the TV. So I was "legal" because I was towing at less than the manufacturers numbers,yet I felt unsafe due to the poor handling and inadequate braking of my towing rig.

This was the primary reason why I bought a new Tundra in 08.

Dan
Dan,

I'm no engineer. I guess you are correct in most of what you are saying and probably 99.99% of the time I would agree. I too have exceeded my TV's GVRW a few pounds many times, felt safe and confident, without having a bad experience. My experience towing makes me concerned with that other .01% of the time. I consider myself experienced since I started towing back in the 60's, when I was a teenager.

I had and still have confidence in my towing abilities, to do what I think is "ok" and "safe". Since having a loss of control accident, two years ago, when the weather changed (one of those variables) while the TV was near the GVRW, my attitude has changed. I was not exceeding the speed limit. I was not over the GCRW. The trailer was more than one ton below the TV's towing capacity. The first thing the LEO said to me, after asking if we were ok, was, "I think your trailer is a little to heavy for your truck". I did not get a ticket, nor did the tractor/trailer rig driver that hit us broadside.

Since my wife and I have been through this accident while towing our Airstream trailer, and luckily we both survived relatively unharmed, I tend to go a little overboard with caution. (Both TV and TT were total loss) I certainly would not recommend that anyone exceed the TV manufacturer's load limits. Safety is more important than any other consideration.

After that wreck I got a new 1/2 ton truck and the new to me 25' trailer. I checked the load capacities of the truck and the weight of the trailer to make sure everything was adequate. I read other's experiences about towing on this forum. After this research I assumed what I had was "ok" and "safe". At first I did feel safe, but after going to the scales I did not feel the same. I probably could have towed the rest if my life without any problems, but that chance of an accident kept nagging me!!! We are planning to head south for the winter, probably for 2,000 miles or so towing this trip. I felt so strongly that I was right on the edge of the safe limits of my TV that I traded the 2010 1/2 ton truck (that I really loved) with 40,000 miles for a 3/4 ton.

I still have confidence in what I do. But, now I am more cautious and urge everyone else to do the same. When my rig is heavy I go slower. When it rains I go slower still. When there is ice I stay where I am.

Bring your family home safely!

Alan
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is simply bogus to advise anyone their family will be be suddenly "safe" by getting a heavier duty truck. Many, many variables come into play once on the road. Not the least of which is that a heavier duty truck in most cases will be harder to control in accident avoidance maneuvers.

Your Airstream is unique among travel trailers with it's low profile aerodynamic design, low center-of-gravity, and excellent handling independent suspension. For safety purposes you would be well-served by a capable tow vehicle that has similar characteristics.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Woof,
Although putting your wife and kids in the trailer is probably not going to be a popular solution, it'll solve your problem, just make them sit/stand over the axles . . .

Actually it should be mentioned (and I read thru the thread to see if it already was, and didn't find it . . . (but I'm not the brightest bulb in the tool box - see above) . . . anyway, putting non-precious items in the trailer, preferably over the axles, should also help.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #54
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
I know that I am going to get some grief for this post.
But here goes. My diesel Ford F350 can pull most anything I put behind it without going into the macros of how much a person weighs.
Yes we go thru this in our AS as far as the max weight, then we just transfer the other to our TV to specs which are built in to a larger range. Which means we can haul more if we choose to do so.
Diesel pickups are built to haul things. Built to last hauling things. That is their purpose. Gas pickups are today and for many years are built to drive to a very specific range. If you choose to haul things to the maximum ratio of your gas truck then you are depending on the non real world of specific haul ratios.
Have read many posts on here of gas vs diesels and have yet to read one about lifetime endurance comparison. Engines, trannies of gas vs diesel.
Passed many many gas TV's struggling up hills in Wyoming on I25 while we held a steady speed. Temps held at normal range for engine and transmission.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Dan
Since my wife and I have been through this accident while towing our Airstream trailer, and luckily we both survived relatively unharmed, I tend to go a little overboard with caution. (Both TV and TT were total loss) I certainly would not recommend that anyone exceed the TV manufacturer's load limits. Safety is more important than any other consideration.

After that wreck I got a new 1/2 ton truck and the new to me 25' trailer. I checked the load capacities of the truck and the weight of the trailer to make sure everything was adequate. I read other's experiences about towing on this forum. After this research I assumed what I had was "ok" and "safe". At first I did feel safe, but after going to the scales I did not feel the same. I probably could have towed the rest if my life without any problems, but that chance of an accident kept nagging me!!! We are planning to head south for the winter, probably for 2,000 miles or so towing this trip. I felt so strongly that I was right on the edge of the safe limits of my TV that I traded the 2010 1/2 ton truck (that I really loved) with 40,000 miles for a 3/4 ton.

I still have confidence in what I do. But, now I am more cautious and urge everyone else to do the same. When my rig is heavy I go slower. When it rains I go slower still. When there is ice I stay where I am.

Bring your family home safely!

Alan
Alan

Having been through that bad loss of control accident, I understand why you are extra cautious and no longer felt safe towing "on the edge". I also go slower when my rig is heavy, or it is raining or there are visibility issues. I don't care if it takes longer to get there, I just want to make sure that I make it there period.

Do you know really why you lost control? Was it due to your towing "on the edge" or some other factors like tires or tire pressure? If you really don't know, I can understand going to a 3/4 ton TV because, in your mind you are thinking that maybe that really was the cause of the loss of control accident.

I sincerely hope that you are able to tow accident free from here on out (along with all the other Airstreamers out there).

Dan
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've been in a similar situation and gave up, bought a new F250 Diesel with 10,000# payload package and HD towing and sold my F150 to our neighbor who loved the Platinum Ecoboost sitting in my drivway for a year.

Now we are legal and much safer towing our 30' flying cloud. It cost us some to do this change, but the ease and comfort with which the F250 handles the 30' is well worth it to us.

I don't advise anyone, just what we did. I did a lot of checking on TT accidents prior to making the switch and found that in many cases is not a majority if the accident is caused by the towing combination it is often attributed to overloading of the two vehicle, ie overloading of tires. Check the sticker on the door fame for an F150, you will be shocked at how little weight an F150 can carry in payload. Yes, I know much of the basis for the sticker is to reduce liability on the part of the tire manufacturer, but a good lawyer against the tow combination can win on that point alone.

Safe Travels.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
F150 Colorado Towing Experience

Back in 2010 we pulled our 25 foot Safari to Durango Colorado and while Durango is in the mountains it is hardly the highest or steepest climb to get there. We hit the grades and climbed but early on the truck belched and we started smelling some pretty foul exhaust and I noticed a big puff of black exhaust. The truck never died but we did lose power. We climbed up at 25 to 30 miles per hour, otherwise everything seemed to be alright although the dreaded check engine "idiot" light came on. Got to our camp and set up and then we headed into town and located the Ford dealer. They had a hard time finding what was wrong but after about a half day of diagnostics they elimated everything else and discovered it was a sensor that is part of the emission control system. The service writer said on checkout that it occurs with a lot of travelers to the area and that they always kept a quantity of said replacements and $180.00 later the idiot light is off and we are feeling better. In the same campground was another Airstream so we went over and introduced ourselves and they turned out to be a British couple who were traveling/touring the United States in a 28 foot Classic with two big dogs, pulling all with a 2006 Ford F150 with the 4.8 liter engine. They had already been to Silverton and had pulled the rig up the Million Dollar highway and were anxious to do so again. Anyone who has done this can appreciate the incredible hairpin turns and steep grades from Durango to Silverton. I'm certain that I must have said something like, "you have got to be kidding!" He was as serious as he could be. As for me, I did the Million Dollar highway and just drove it in the truck but can't tell you anything other than how nice the yellow stripe was and how I kept wanting to drive next to the mountain wall. I guess it's truly all about the torque and nerves...and foolishness.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
My 2010 F150 Super crew 4x4 5.4 v8 5.5ft box pulled my 28ft CCD with ease but when I investigated and found I was over the load limits posted by the mfg on the door by the engineers that designed it.I knew I had to make a change.
Traded for a F350 Super crew 4x4 6.7 turbo diesel 8ft box no matter what anyone says there is no comparison in any respect. None.
The F150 is a great vehicle and has its purpose but is not meant to tow and haul my size trailer and my gear and passengers safely according to the people who designed,engineered and built it..A smaller Airstream and less gear and passengers and a F150 is fine.

I am not a gambler with my families safety or my own.

"A man has to know his limitations"
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looked at the sticker on my Ford 150. It gives a GAW for the front and rear axle as expected. But directly below that it says "with" and lists the tire size and wheel number. Does that mean if I switch to heavier tires and wheels the GAW on the sticker may not still be the limiting factory? Maybe heavier wheels and tires and maybe airbags would be a solution?

I do not really care. I tow with a 2500 and am under the limits. Towed a little with the 150 when I first got the trailer. I still drive it empty. When we bought a truck for the trailer I went with a 2500. I have seen both 2500's and 3500's overloaded with Airstream and other payload several times.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
I believe it is more complicated as all parts involved have their own weight ratings.
The tires you have now will have a max weight rating printed on the sidewall close to the rim bead.I know the 20 inch tires OEM Pirrelli Scorpions are rated for 2403 lbs each or 9612 Max which in most cases is more than adequate as most F150's have a 7200lbs GVWR .Your wheels will have the weight rating stamped inside

The F150 HD payload package increases GVWR to 8200 with
1.LT245/75/R17 E tires
2.High capacity 17 Aluminum wheels (Increased to 7 Lugs)
3.HD shocks
4.Upgraded springs,radiator and aux trans cooler
5.Larger 9 3/4 gearset w/373 limited slip axel (Different Rear end assembly)