Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2008 Tundra Cruise Control while towing

I never thought I would try the cruise control while towing. NEVER I thought. Well, I did this week traveling western Kansas on I-70 on fairly level, lightly rolling and increasing elevation towards the Colorado border, light (for Kansas) 15-20mph winds from the NNW. I was getting 11.5 to 12 mpg with a mild headwind at 65mph.

I was impressed. Any increase in acceleration by the cruise control up a hill was one gear shift down and not as if someone floored the accelerator as I have experienced driving older Toyotas. The computer gas mileage monitor showed that the cruise control was giving me BETTER gas mileage than I could on my own. Now this was in Western Kansas and not climbing the numerous Colorado mountain passes for a trial run. Next year I might try some comparisons with prior travel with results using cruise control... You know some of those western US drives require something to do while driving...

For some reason I feel that being on cruise my response time would be longer and my "driving" would be off while pulling the trailer. Anybody have some experience in truly cruise control driving those long, flat, western highways?
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
With my truck in tow/haul mode, unless it gets hilly or a steep bridge grade on the interstate, I don't typically downshift all that much.

I use cruise control all the time on the Interstate in light traffic. There are some here that don't and that's fine, it's a choice. I see no delta to using it provided you still pay attention to the road and it's light traffic.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I live in western colorado and tow with an '08 Sequoia, same engine as you.... I use my cruise control on the highway, not in the mountains it downshifts a little late and then goes down two gears instead of just one.... I don't use two mode that much, I feel I get worse gas mileage as it keeps the engine at a higher rpm for longer than it needs to...

I do get better gas mileage when in cruise!!! about .5-1 mpg better. If the head wind is really strong. like my trip to ZION i keep it out of cruise, easier on the gas mileage, as it tends to downshift two much...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have the 07 Tundra and I use the cruise and tow mode. I do turn it off on steep hills where the transmission tends to down shift too often.

Cruise should never be used in the rain or on any other slippery roads.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote