Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 AM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There have been rumors for years about Ford and various diesel manufacturers, the most notable one was the rumor in the 1990's that Ford had acquired Cummins, and was going to start using them in their trucks, while shutting the door on Dodge. I will wait to see the dumping of the Cornbinder engine in an official announcement from Ford. Rumors are rumors, and corporations can and do change their direction as often as most people change their undershorts.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #42
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
OR....that bullet proof V-10 Ford makes looks better everyday.
I found an '03 Excursion 7.3psd on a dealer's lot here locally with only 10k miles on it. I was kind of excited about it until I found out they were asking $35k for it!

My '00 Excursion with the V10 continues to be one of the best deals around.

That V10 is just an awesome gas engine with very few problems.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi azstreamin...

no kings ranch in stock yet. i agree the photo is darker/red...

the mirrors work great. i agree one more thing to fail but i've got them on other vehicles without issues...

except the replacement cost is higher!

the integrated tail gate step looks like a huge accident waiting to happen...

especially coming down hill from the bed...

after a few beers...

no trade...

i'm headed for mexico, do they have ulsd fuel yet?

cheers
2air'
Hey 2air---Ford just anounced an additional acessory available for the new Super Duty Diesels, A "heated tailgate"!! It helps keep your hands warm while pushing. --------------almost April Fools Day---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #44
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Ford just anounced an additional acessory available for the new Super Duty Diesels, A "heated tailgate"!! It helps keep your hands warm while pushing. --------------almost April Fools Day---pieman
hi pieman!

so you looked at the video in post #37?

lots of potential uses...

charcoal grill
smelter
cigar lighter
snow melter
auxillary trailer heater
brush clearing
cattle branding
and so on...

just don't park on my passenger's side!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:04 AM   #45
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Frankly,
I am not going to want to buy and engine that is on fast track development. I would buy one now that is been wrung out for a couple years then buy an untested one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
New Super Duty

All 08 Super Duty,s have been recalled because the exhaust system has been catching on fire. The Factory has advised the Ford dealers not to sell them until the computers are reprogrammed. Understand it is a 10 minute fix. Makes you realize why Ford is in the fix they are. Once again, Ford has snatched defeat out of the jaws of Victory.

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Frankly,
I am not going to want to buy and engine that is on fast track development. I would buy one now that is been wrung out for a couple years then buy an untested one.
That and do you think the average International assembly line worker has any incentive to perform a quailty assembly job on the engines going to Ford? They just might do the bear minimum job to QC the thing and get it out the door.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
That and do you think the average International assembly line worker has any incentive to perform a quailty assembly job on the engines going to Ford? They just might do the bear minimum job to QC the thing and get it out the door.
The average international worker maybe a robot or a CNC machine. Those lines are highly automated. I watched a segment on engine building on How It Is Made and was amazed as the engine was assembled. I have no idea which line it was but it was truly one sharp operation.

I have rebuilt several engines over the years, VW, Renault, Atomic4, MG, and a few others. I also went througha Auto Mechanics course in trade school. I have rebuild large industrial prime movers so I have a fair idea what it takes to build a engine and I was truly amazed as I watched as the engine was assembled. I think the quality is not controlled by the assembly line worker but by computer.

I agee it is best to buy a proven design, which is why I own an Airstream.

Here is a link with some information from 2002:
Feature Article - Ford's Future Factory – NOW! - 05/02

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #49
_

. , .
engine smigine...

first of all the 6.4l powerstroke has been in development for 5 years...

5 years.

and while the sequential turbos and peizo electric fuel injection is new the block is is not.

sure it's is generally a good idea not to buy any 1st year model from any maker...

secondly, a significant percentage of the IH engines are manufactured for others...

it IS what they do. companies make stuff for other compaines

to suggest that a component made for another company might be less than the best is silly.

ford, like every other auto maker relies on others for many parts, systems and components...

auto companines are assembly lines...

who do you think made many of the bits in your t-rex? or bambi?

repeating the recall story 3 times in a dozen posts is funny enough and

a great example of folks NOT READING before posting...

now we're back to auto making 101...

sorry i've got to go...

pull all the bosch and haldex and torsen and hella and z-f and bbs and bilstein parts off my car now...

since vw/audi didn't make them...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #50
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
keep in mind guys that you will not be changing flat tires on the larger fords yourself due to the hub centric design.

they are pressed onto the hub and require professional tools to remove. and even then, quite a few get destroyed in the process.

we are on our third year with the newer fords at the power company with mixed results.

john
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #51
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
it looks something like this.

Unique Truck

not something one wants to take along on vacation.

john
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
who do you think made many of the bits in your t-rex? or bambi?
Drunken Bratslavians and drunken Germans, even if they were operating a CNC machine at the time. This is especially true is my vehicle was being made on a Friday (which I think my 2004 Touareg was!). It's a great car to drive, but not exactly what I consider reliable. You heard it here first: A German car that require maintenance!!!

As for the comments about being made entire on a CNC machine or other robotic process, this is certainly a possibility, but I do remember watching a show about Cummins engine manufacturing, and a great deal of the process had human hands doing the assembly and testing at one stage or another. Maybe International was just give B-stock blocks to all of the 6.0L PSD owners that had some many problems, regardless of year. That engine hasn't exactly been the hallmark of reliability, CNC or not and I'm not sure that International has much incentive to work the bugs out if Ford continues to screw with them.

Current and future Super Duty PSD owner, I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I truly hope that your vehicles are everything that you hope them to be and that you have many maintenance free miles. These are complicated machines, and thing do break. I'm just concerned about the quality situation that Ford has been in for several years now and it seems to me that they have moved forward into a more complex product without fixing past mistakes. Hopefully Ford already has a replacement for the PSD in the works and can deliver a reliable replacement by the 2010 switch. Otherwise, International has them by the youknowhwhats.

EDITED FOR SPELLING: Maybe I'm, drinking too early in the morning??? Or maybe it's the Germans . . .
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #53
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
keep in mind guys that you will not be changing flat tires on the larger fords yourself due to the hub centric design.

they are pressed onto the hub and require professional tools to remove. and even then, quite a few get destroyed in the process.

we are on our third year with the newer fords at the power company with mixed results.

john
I think you are thinking about the cargo truck version, not the consumer pick-up truck versions. I can't say about the duelies, but my F-250 doesn't need one of those pullers to change the tires. I've had them rotated and there wasn't an extra charge and believe me, my tire shop would have charged one if there was extra equipment involved!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #54
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I think you are thinking about the cargo truck version, not the consumer pick-up truck versions. I can't say about the duelies, but my F-250 doesn't need one of those pullers to change the tires. I've had them rotated and there wasn't an extra charge and believe me, my tire shop would have charged one if there was extra equipment involved!
I think it is on the F450 and above.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #55
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dunno terry, ask norbert how well it worked out when he lost a wheel on his van! i believe it is all 350's and up.

another little quirk about the superduty trucks is rather interesting, if you plan on any full throttle operation in 4wd low range turn on the windshield wipers first. that way when the coolant blows out of the overflow bottle you can still see where you are going!

nobody ever said we were easy on our trucks, i would say fords are fine for everyday use towing trailers. we just seem to find flaws because we use them at the extreme limits of design. (on edit, i am referring to use at the power company)

john
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Have you driven a Ford..........lately?

If they keep up like they've been doing, won't be nuthin but a bunch of history in the wind......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
another little quirk about the superduty trucks is rather interesting, if you plan on any full throttle operation in 4wd low range turn on the windshield wipers first. that way when the coolant blows out of the overflow bottle you can still see where you are going!
john
I don't think emulating Mount Vesuvius is what I would call a "quirk"!
I'll see if I can find out what level (series) uses the "press-on wheel".
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #58
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
terry

better yet i had a brand new 550 with a bucket on it that i got stuck about 300 yards from the nearest road.

when i was trying to rock it out of the mud it blew the blue rubber coupling from the intercooler to the turbo. it left it so it could not even turn a wheel. we drug it out of the field with an international 4x4 line truck.

i do believe this was a common problem that was resolved by a recall.

john
Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
john

Perhaps they could re-route the coolant overflow to the tail pipe... to put out the fire.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #60
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I don't think emulating Mount Vesuvius is what I would call a "quirk"!
...or the tailpipes that spit fire...or the Pinto that exploded, the Crown Victoria that killed peace officers, the Navistar spat, the ending of the Taurus only to be brought back....and on and on and on.....

Not that GM doesn't have it's issues too, but they are still above the single digits stock price.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote