Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Question 2008 Suburban rear window noise

I have another little issue with my new 2008 Suburban. I hooked up the Airstrem and headed out over the labor day weekend. Everything was fine, except when the trailer is in tow there is a strange noise coming from the rear door/window. A squeaking sound mixed with I think wind noise. It starts at around 45mph. It comes and goes. There is no noise when the trailer is not in tow. I discovered on my way home pulling the trailer if I pull in behind an 18 wheeler that the noise stops. But when I pull over to the other lane it starts again. So I suspect that the turbulence between the rear of the Suburban and the trailer causes the rear window to buffet somewhat causing the noise. When I am behind the 18 wheeler I am not getting the direct airflow so it stops. The door seems tight but the rear window is a solid piece of glass that closes on a rubber gasket. You can push on the left side I get movement. The right side is pretty tight. The only other thing back there is the rear wiper. When not in use it sits on a support and is loose and could rattle around.

Has anyone with a 2007 or 2008 GM or Suburban experienced this. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Its called the Liftglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
strange noise coming from the rear door/window. A squeaking sound mixed with I think wind noise.
I found out that the proper term from GM is "Liftglass". But I did not find anything elese on this subject, yet.

By opening the "Liftdoor" and crawling in the back I can see that the liftglass when closed is not as tight on the gasket on the drivers side at the bottom as it is on the passenger side. You can actually push easy on the corner and see light. This does not happen on the other side. So the turbulence while towing must be effecting this. I don't see anyway to adjust this but I am sure there is. I guess its back to the dealer.

Don
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Just curious..

How does the new Suburban tow your Airstream? Did'nt you have a 1/2 ton suburban?

Did you get the transmission cooler installed?
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
How does the new Suburban tow your Airstream? Did'nt you have a 1/2 ton suburban?

Did you get the transmission cooler installed?
I previously had a 2004 Suburban 1500,1/2 ton standard engine and rear end.which handled all of my towing needs just fine. It came equipped with the aux transmission cooler. The 2008 Suburban is also a 1500, 1/2 ton same engine and rear end and it also tows my 31' A/S very well. It did not come with the aux transmission cooler but I will probably have that installed soon.

I hope that someone with a 2007/2008 GM, Tahoe or Suburban will post their experience with towing and the wind noise from the liftglass.

Thanks Don
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To verify if it is the glass or wiper, place a small piece of foam between the window and gasket, then take the trailer for a ride. If the noise goes awy, it was the window.
If it doesn't go away, you can remove the rear wiper arm and drive around with the trailer again.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I took some clear packaging tape and taped the left bottom corner of the liftgalss to the door in two places. This conpressed the glass to the gasget and would not let it buffet back and forth. I then pulled the trailer at at various speeds up to 65 mph, no noise. So I then removed the tape and pulled the trailer and the noise strarted at around 50 mph.

So it is the liftglass that needs adjusting. Let me see what the dealer has to say and I will follow up.

Don
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sorry to say Chevy make some good vehicles but they always seem to have little problems like this... Man I wish they would get it together the first time....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Trabuco Canyon , California
I am having the exact same problem with my 2008 Suburban 2500 2WD. The wind noise from the lift glass on the driver's side starts at about 55 MPH and only when towing my Airstream. I have an appointment at the local Chevy dealer this week. I'll post what they say...
2008 20' Safari SE
2008 Suburban 2500 2WD 6.0L
Jeff Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I can't say for sure that our body shop has done any adjustments for this concern on the 08's, but we have done so on other Burbs with the liftgate/opening window option. The Dealer will address it under warranty.

It would be hard to confirm the problem without the AS in tow, but don't let them blow you off because you don't have it hooked up. As stated, you can demonstrate it by closing the glass on a sheet of paper in the effected area, if it pulls out with little resistance, it needs to be adjusted.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
I took my Suburban to the local Chevy dealer today regarding the wind noise problem. When I told the Customer Service rep about this forum and that another Suburban owner had the same issue, he responded that "it sounds like an Airstream problem to me." I told him that it also ocurred when towing other trailers, not just Airstreams. Then I took out my small, hand-held digital tape recorder and played the noise for him. His response was "yeah, I guess you can't just turn up your radio for that one."

I got a call from him late this afternoon saying they couldn't duplicate the problem. I again told him that it only happens when towing. His response was "yeah, you have the evidence on tape. We're going to keep your car overnight and talk to the engineers back East tomorrow. They may have a solution for us." I'll post again tomorrow...
2008 20' Safari SE
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
I took my Suburban to the local Chevy dealer today regarding the wind noise problem. When I told the Customer Service rep about this forum and that another Suburban owner had the same issue, he responded that "it sounds like an Airstream problem to me."
I guess that is why I have not taken mine back to the dealer yet, I had a feeling that would be the response. Glad to see you have the recording. The only thing I have that indicated to me that is was wind turbulence was what I said in my org post.

" discovered on my way home pulling the trailer if I pull in behind an 18 wheeler that the noise stops. But when I pull over to the other lane it starts again. So I suspect that the turbulence between the rear of the Suburban and the trailer causes the rear window to buffet somewhat causing the noise. When I am behind the 18 wheeler I am not getting the direct airflow so it stops."

I hope your dealer and the GM engineers solve this. I can then go to my dealer and say call these people. Thanks for your help.

Don
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
same problem - 2007 suburban

We have the 2007 3/4 ton 4wd suburban and have noticed the same noise. We have towed with it only twice so I was not really sure where it was coming from. Thanks for the lead so I can nag our dealer next visit.
IggyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
When searching the internet I came across a GM bulletin entitled "Windnoise from Rear of Vehicle/Liftgate Glass." It is Technical Service Bulletin #06-08-66-012C and was issued on July 31, 2007. It states the following condition: "Some customers may comment on excessive windnoise coming from the rear of the vehicle, expecially when trailering."

The correction as noted in the bulletin is to (1) replace seal, (2) replace stop bumpers and (3) replace rear glass. A liftgate latch adjustment may also be necessary.

I called my dealer with the info this morning. They pulled the bulletin up on their system and ordered all of the parts for my Suburban. The rear glass has to come from Michigan by ground transportation due to its size. It is supposed to come in sometime next week.

I'll post again after they have done the work and let you know the result.
2008 20' Safari SE
Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Talked to our BS mgr, about the wind noise concern. We have corrected all but one with an adjustment of the lift glass. Of course the factory pays the dlr a lot less if no parts are replaced. Point of interest..If you have an independent body shop with a good rep stop by and get a second opinion.
I'm curious as to why the dealer is in the dark about the problem.

If I close the window on my 06 with a 1/2 pad of post-it notes stuck under it, wonder of wonders I got the noise too.....
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
GM bulletin entitled "Windnoise from Rear of Vehicle/Liftgate Glass." It is Technical Service Bulletin #06-08-66-012C
If you have a link to this I would like to have the entire service bulletin to take with me to the dealer.

Thanks

Don
Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Just for you, utee94

Quote:
When searching the internet I came across a GM bulletin entitled "Windnoise from Rear of Vehicle/Liftgate Glass." It is Technical Service Bulletin #06-08-66-012C and was issued on July 31, 2007. It states the following condition: "Some customers may comment on excessive windnoise coming from the rear of the vehicle, expecially when trailering." ...
Thanks to Mr. Evans, I believe all involved have a good solution to the problem at hand. Kudos to him; I have extended karma for his effort. I would like to now post my comment:

Would you like some cheese with the original whine? The entire concept of being able to hear a noise at the back of a Suburban is a new concept to me, and I drive one ... that is now officially vintage. I believe that my third-seat passengers would never hear the window, even if it was whistling six ways to Sunday, let alone me.

My wife and I have to practically YELL at each other, at highway speeds, to be heard over the road noise in my '84 Suburban. As a consequence, we don't have the lungs for many discussions while on the road.

I'm not complaining, though.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Just checking to see if there are any updates on this issue after the dealership became aware of the service bulletin.

Thanks

Don
Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Smile Update on wind noise repair

We finally took our '07 suburban in for service just before Thanksgiving and I gave the dealer the Service bulletin number from this thread and we had no problems- they replaced the gasket and "bumpers" on the glass. We towed with it last weekend and the whistling was gone. Thanks for the info!
IggyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyWalker View Post
We finally took our '07 suburban in for service just before Thanksgiving and I gave the dealer the Service bulletin number from this thread and we had no problems- they replaced the gasket and "bumpers" on the glass. We towed with it last weekend and the whistling was gone. Thanks for the info!
Glad you got it all taken care of.

Stream Safe
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Good night all ...
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote