Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Typically shops that work on 4wd vehicles (off road shop) would do the work or know of local people who are capable of doing the work. They are just changing the ring and pinion gears but there are precise measurements for the gear lash when installing the new gears and it takes a little know how but this type of work is done everyday. I would ask around and see if the 3.55 carrier will work with 3.92 carrier - this is where your limited slip comes into play.
You will have to take it to a dealer and have the computer changed so that it will work properly with the new ratio. The parts will probably be in the ballpark of $600 or so plus labor and oil.
I would make a few phones calls.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Graford , Texas
Smile

Thanks for all the good advice. There is a God in Heaven! I called several Dodge dealers and they ran the last eight numbers of my VIN and informed me my rear end is a 3.92, so no need to pay expensive mod bills. The only thing left to do is install the trailer tow mirrorsthat arrived yesterday. The 3.92 rear end bumps my max tow weight up over the max GVWR of the trailer of 8300 pounds and gives me 200 pounds to play with. I have no intention of towing the trailer at max weight so I should be fine. I'm having a Reese WD hitch with sway bars installed and hope this will make the tow OK. Again, thanks for your help.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'll say this again... just because I think it's important and because I want to have a clear conscience. Taller gears in the rear differential make pulling easier... but that's it. In fact, the only time you really notice the rear end ratio is during acceleration, pulling hills and when you don't have the trailer on and you're running higher RPMs at highway speeds. I run a very capable half-ton Nissan Titan with a few modifications. Personally, I would't feel comfortable towing a 30' trailer weighing over 8000 pounds with the Titan. Here's the thing, Hawk. You can probably run things right up to the limit and be OK most of the time. That said, there are "pucker moments" from time to time where have a margin for safety makes things a whole lot less "interesting." Check back with us in a year or two and let us know how the Dodge runs for you.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk43 View Post
I'm having a Reese WD hitch with sway bars installed and hope this will make the tow OK. Again, thanks for your help.
Hawk,

The Reese hitch is good, but very difficult to adjust to perfection, and if not adjusted correctly, it just doesn't work good for sway control. And, pulling any 30 footer with any 1/2 ton truck will require good sway control.

May I suggest you read, study, and understand this thread about how to set up a Reese Dual Cam hitch for good sway control performance:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html

Please DO NOT rely on a dealer to set up the hitch correctly...most of them just want you off the lot after the trailer is sold.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
...gives me 200 pounds to play with. I have no intention of towing the trailer at max weight so I should be fine.
Yep...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Hawk,

The Reese hitch is good, but very difficult to adjust to perfection, and if not adjusted correctly, it just doesn't work good for sway control. And, pulling any 30 footer with any 1/2 ton truck will require good sway control.

May I suggest you read, study, and understand this thread about how to set up a Reese Dual Cam hitch for good sway control performance:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html

Please DO NOT rely on a dealer to set up the hitch correctly...most of them just want you off the lot after the trailer is sold.
Steve.

Adjusting the dual cam is easy after it's basically installed.

Make sure the tow vehicle and trailer are in a straight line.

Hook up the torsion bars.

Loosen the U bolts that hold the dual cam in place.

The cams will make the saddles move to it's correct place.

Move the U bolts as necessary, and tighten them.

That's it, it's properly aligned.

Takes maybe 5 minutes to do it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Steve.

Adjusting the dual cam is easy after it's basically installed.

Make sure the tow vehicle and trailer are in a straight line.

Hook up the torsion bars.

Loosen the U bolts that hold the dual cam in place.

The cams will make the saddles move to it's correct place.

Move the U bolts as necessary, and tighten them.

That's it, it's properly aligned.

Takes maybe 5 minutes to do it.

Andy
Andy,

Again, you are absolutely correct. Correct that is, for the old style of "U" bolted cams, and it seems hardly anyone sells those anymore.

The new style of cams aren't "U" bolted to the "A" frame, they are bolted solid in place, and the cams themselfs are threaded and adjusted. There in the problem lies.

Hmmm, I thought you were "up" on the Reese Dual Cam hitches....seems you are a little "out of date".

May I suggest you read this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
How much do you weigh?

Quote:
The 3.92 rear end bumps my max tow weight up over the max GVWR of the trailer of 8300 pounds and gives me 200 pounds to play with. I have no intention of towing the trailer at max weight so I should be fine. .
You have to count your own weight the GVWR, plus your "stuff". Sounds like you are close to max weight right now, even before lunch.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Again, you are absolutely correct. Correct that is, for the old style of "U" bolted cams, and it seems hardly anyone sells those anymore.

The new style of cams aren't "U" bolted to the "A" frame, they are bolted solid in place, and the cams themselfs are threaded and adjusted. There in the problem lies.

Hmmm, I thought you were "up" on the Reese Dual Cam hitches....seems you are a little "out of date".

May I suggest you read this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Well Steve, at least I'm half right, sos taht means your half wrong.

I will check the rest out, after I get back from hawaii.

We don't sell hitches.

Andy
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Well Steve, at least I'm half right, sos taht means your half wrong.

I will check the rest out, after I get back from hawaii.

We don't sell hitches.

Andy
Sorry Andy, I don't see it that way. I've at least had experince with both styles of the RDC. You, it seems not so much.

Have fun in Hawaii.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
Hawk,
I owned a four door 2005 Dodge 2WD HEMI with auto trans for a Tow Vehicle and towed a 34' Airstream. As long as I was on flat or slight rolling hills the hemi did well. Anytime I got on any kind of a long steeper grade the hemi (4sp transmission) would end up in 2nd gear with RPM's rather high. I have since gotten a 2008 Dodge Cummins Diesel 4X4 with a 6 speed auto trans and jake brake. I really llike the diesel for the extra power for pulling my now newer and shorter 31' Airstream.
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Sorry Andy, I don't see it that way. I've at least had experince with both styles of the RDC. You, it seems not so much.

Have fun in Hawaii.
I will check it to you, for now.

Andy

Tags