Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
pueblo , Colorado
2007 Dodge 1500 Laramie

I'm purchasing a 31ft classic and its gvwr is 8600. I just want to know if the dodge 1500 with a tow package and 5.7 v8 can pull this trailer. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
chuffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum. About the Dodge, what is the towing capacity?

Just from my experience, which does not include towing with this truck, I think it will do it, but certainly don't know if you will be happy with it. A 31 footer is a lot of trailer for most any 1/2 ton truck, but others may feel differently.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
pueblo , Colorado
I do live in colorado, so this may be a bad idea then? Are there a couple particular vehicles recomended out there for this size airstream?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I'm not saying it's a bad choice, just think it's cutting it close, and I have no expereince with that truck. I would suggest you get Dodge's spec for towing capacity, also total weight carrying capacity, then figure everything you will carry in the truck, and the tongue weight of the trailer to make sure you don't go over.

Also, someone with experience with the Dodge will probably soon jump in.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
OK, found this:
The Hemi's peak power and torque ratings are 345 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 375 pound-feet of at 4200. It comes with a modern five-speed automatic transmission that adds to its responsiveness and flexibility. Punch it and you know you've got a Hemi under the hood. A properly equipped Hemi increases the Ram's towing capacity to 9,100 pounds yet it's rated 14/18 mpg (with 2WD).

All the info here: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Reviews, Expert Car Reviews on AOL Autos
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
pueblo , Colorado
Thank you very much for you advice. I will keep looking. I am in a little bit of desperation due to the fact I am picking this up on saturday. It does help having family member that works for a dealership but I need to find the right vehicle.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The gvwr of the truck and the rear axle will be the limiting factor long before the trailer towing capacity will be. I would considera 3/4 ton truck and a diesel in addition to looking at the 1/2 ton 5.7L Dodge.

I have a 1/2 ton Tundra with the 5.7 and I am quite happy with it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
pueblo , Colorado
How much weight are you towing?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
More detail about the truck is needed: 4WD, gears, ? etc.

One should start with the problem of numbers. Use the link to confirm truck specification:

Dodge Towing Spec

Start by weighing truck at a certified scale with driver aboard and full fuel (CAT Scale; see Locator online) to get your particular vehicle numbers for the true "empty" weight.

To play the numbers game "properly" understand that 1/2T pickups generally run out of TW capacity even after WD is set up. One is not to overload tires or axle capacities. Beyond any manufacturer overall limits, tire loads most especially.

As TW -- even at 85% of capacity -- is about 1,000-lbs (750-lbs after WD) it becomes quickly obvious that 1/2T payload capacity runs short.

IMO, a TT of 7k is fine for a 1/2T, but past that a 1T is better suited for best performance. Your combination is in a grey area, some fudge factor, but 1T payload makes an easier vehicle to load any way one wants without exceeding axle/tire limits.

Try also to get a separate TW for the TT with only full propane and fresh water aboard. All of this (spec, TV & TT "empty" weights) make for intelligent numbers analysis. Guessing is just fruitless.

Fulltimer/long trips w/family = 1T

The TT choice overrides the TV choice.

I'd start with a VPP hitch, trailer disc brakes and Maxbrake controller as this "gold standard" is applicable to any TV. If you don't like the restrictions of the 1/2T, then the change is made easier but the 1/2T performance is as good as it can be when hitch rigging is set up against weight scale readings.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I tow with a 3/4 ton Ram w/5.9 Cummins diesel ... I love it ... 31 ft Excella ... no problems with the limited abount of New Mexico driving that I have done.

My Brother in law has a 25' SOB and has to keep the rpms up when going up a hill ... my cummins doesn't even down shift going over to Ruidoso from Lubbock . I know ... this kind of trip is not anywhere close to the mountains of Colorado but it shows the advantage of pulling with diesel vs gas.

On the other hand, we have a friend who pulled a 19' Bambi with an MGB for several years Into New Mexico & Colorado.

REDNAX: could you elaborate on what a VPP hitch would be & how it would be helpful in this instance?
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I tow a 2011 25' FC with an '03 Ram 1500 Hemi. It does ok so far, but we have not gone on long trips, nor mountains yet. I am concerned that the rear end is not geared for towing (forgive me for not knowing the ratio, but I know it isn't setup up for towing). The wife thinks we will need a new truck in the future, for various reasons, but it is not on the top of the list right now.

Good Luck
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Sent reply, lost it somehow, so here goes again.

Listen to what TouringDan just said. The Dodge should have enough horsepower and torque to pull the trailer. The real issue will be the weight. I am not just talking about the weight of the trailer but more importantly the load capacity of the truck. Once you drop the trailer on the ball, throw some stuff into the bed and then load your family you might be in trouble with the half ton truck.

I also pull with a half ton Tundra. I have plenty of power to pull the hills but need to be careful when loading before trips. It is just my wife and I and we travel light so I am OK with my setup.

You need to look into the statistics and then decide.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We have a 2008 Laramie... it's got the 5.7L Hemi, 2WD, 3.92 rear end and 20" wheels (an upgrade included with the Laramie package.) The Ram tows our 22' CCD (about 5,000 lbs, loaded) effortlessly. I think it's a very good choice for Airstreams up to 25', but beyond that I'd be looking at a 3/4 ton truck. Note that the 20" wheels reduce the towing capacity by 1,000 pounds.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
REDNAX: could you elaborate on what a VPP hitch would be & how it would be helpful in this instance?

Sorry, we get to acronym-land in speaking of hitch rigging. Virtual Pivot Point; such as Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow. By design, a hitch that, through linkages, "virtually" moves the pivot point of the trailer hitch forward to near the TV Drive Axle; similar, overall, to a Fifth Wheel or Gooseneck hitch in operation. Sway eliminating in a manner of speaking compared to second tier hitches which are sway resisting (such as best choice Dual Cam/Strait Line, followed by Equal-I-Zer; descending to worthless "friction bar" types).

When the trailer is, by design, the best type for road performance -- aerodynamic, low weight, low-center-of-gravity, with independent suspension, and with disc brakes -- it is more easily matched to a variety of Tow Vehicle types. Leaving no stone unturned to achieve the best hitch rigging -- beginning with weight-scale derived hitch adjustments, tire pressures, etc -- even a less-desirable TV such as a pickup truck (a poor solo road performance vehicle) is "bettered". The advantages of a pickup are potential pax and payload capacity. The disadvantages tend to be: high COG and poor steering feedback. Folks tend strongly to ignore the latter: pickups are rollover prone.

A 1/2T truck will have an "easier" time of it, all else considered. And the advantages are in place for any TV hereon.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
chuffine

When I go camping by myself I will carry a motorcycle in the bed of my truck (420 lbs). The scale readings reflect the following weights:

front axle- 3,000 lb actual versus 3,900 lb rating

rear axle- 3,640 lb actual versus 4,100 lb rating

f&r total- 6,640 lb actual versus 6,900 lb gvwr

Trailer (Tradewind) weighs 4,420 lb. I don't know the gross weight rating.

truck & trailer combo- 11,060 lb actual versus 16,000 lb gross combo rating.

I also own a 1984 Airstream 31 ft that weighs about 2,000-2,500 lb more than my Tradewind. I would not hesitate to tow it with my Tundra. I would probably be real close on the weight limits (I would not carry the mc) and may possibly be over a bit, but I would still tow with it. It works well for me both towing and driving by itself. I drive the truck probably 75% of the time solo, and I think that it drives by itself just about better than any 3/4 truck with a diesel. I would rate it at 10/10 solo and 8/10 towing the 31 ft. I would take the big Tundra (25k new out the door) over any 3/4 ton diesel (40-50k).

The big Tundra will out tow any normally aspirated V8 with its 6 speed tranny, 4.3 rear end and 401 ft-lb of torque. I also get 20 mpg highway solo and 13-14 mpg towing the Tradewind.

Good luck in your search for a tv.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
pueblo , Colorado
Thank you everyone for you advice. My wife and I got a 2007 dodge 2500 slt with the tow package. It's towing capacity came out at 12600. Very nice for what we are doing. Now I am going to test it out saturday by picking it up. Not a true test since it will be just the trailer dry, but it will do. Still have to wait some time for the true heavy weight test.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's towing capacity came out at 12600.

How that is determined needs to be broken out.

Glad you found a truck you like. Your eventual hitch rigging formula work will require a truck "empty" weight as a baseline: Full fuel, driver and anything permanently kept in the TV. A certified printout from a CAT Scale out on IH-25 will suffice, showing Steer Axle & Drive Axle weights.

The Dodge Towing Guide will show the "factory" empty weight total and per axle division, that, along with your new scale reading will show how much weight needs to be "replaced" on the Steer Axle once the TT is hooked up. The difference between published and actual is generally hundreds of pounds. About $10 per reading, with a $2 re-weigh fee as necessary. I usually fill the fuel tank at the truckstop, and then proceed to the scale.

Show us the Dodge figures for your truck spec, and the actual "empty" axle weights, and we can zero in on payload capacity. Proper hitch rigging will maximize payload available. The goal is fingertip control once hitch adjustments are made, which can only be analyzed and dialled in with weigh scale numbers.

Tags