Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #41
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bill, I finally got to read your story about the 1/2 ton Suburban. You do not say what year the Suburban was, but say "some years back" which could be '90's or older. I don't know how much you had loaded into that SUV, although SUV's generally have less payload than a pickup. You went from a 1/2 ton SUV to a 3/4 ton pickup, not exactly a fair comparison. The pickup was a brand new one in '06 compared to an old SUV.

You had a bad experience with the Suburban and your Excella and from one anecdotal situation you generalize to all 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's of any year.

Your old Suburban was apparently way underpowered. You say: "What is this spongy, pushed around, engine whining, transmission shifting feeling I am experiencing?" I have never had any such experience with my 395 HP, 401 # torque gas engine. Most of the time I am at 2,000-2,300 rpm and the 6 speed transmission works fine. I expect on an older Suburban you had a 4 speed. I only have 19,000 miles on the truck, but no maintenance, no recalls, nothing is broken. Only had to change the oil and grease it. Yes, the oil is very difficult to change and I don't like the OEM tires, but the Tundra performs flawlessly. In my experience Toyotas are extremely reliable and take whatever you throw at them. The Tundra was even made and designed in Texas.

I'm glad your pickup works for you. Mine works for me and I do not tow with white knuckles.

Gene
Gene, I have owned 6 or 7 half tons. The 2 Suburbans were both of the same (last) generation; a 2001 and a 2004. Both 5.3L one had a 4:10 the other a 3:73. Payloads were ~ 1600# IIRC, tow capacities were 10,400 and 9300 based on rear end. These are no small fry in the towing game. The 3/4 ton like Brians, is of course, even more capable. Had a few 5.7l small block 1/2 ton pickups...now that was a great motor.
If you caught my post a few months back, also had a brain fart once and actualy (yikes!) leased a Toyota. Most tinny, underpowered, bouncy, poor excuse for a truck I ever had. The only truck I ever leased (we usualy purchase) was so unimpressed I payed a penalty to get out of the lease early. Yes, that's right...PAYED TO GET OUT OF IT. I do not buy their marketing hype, and was not impressed at all. More than a 1/2 ton...give me a break.

But I did not come on to this post to slam any brand...(too late now!). I don't think they are bad vehicles, they just don't offer any where near the capability the domestics do. I suspect most Folks driving them are on their first truck.

I posted to relate personal experience, and caution the OP about his overloading that truck. It would not make for a positive/safe towing experience.
As Brian and ST have noted above, real world does not reflect towing with a very light load.
Based on the numbers given, the OP is way beyond the 80% rule when locked and loaded.The OP made the right, safe, choice. Don't fault him for not wanting to take the risk of a TV loaded to the max.

If I ever go back to tent camping, I may look at 1/2 tons again.
But NOT Toyotas.

They certainly have some rabid fans.
Too bad.

IMO; Towing an AirStream with a foreign truck is like putting a Harley sticker on a Toyota...some Folks just don't get it.

I'm otter hair.

Bill
Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #42
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Tundras are domestic, built in Princeton Indiana and San Antonio Texas!
(most of my Harley parts are foreign)
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Dillon , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-Puf View Post
Tundras are domestic, built in Princeton Indiana and San Antonio Texas!
(most of my Harley parts are foreign)
Kim
When I bought my 08 Tundra from a FORD/TOYOTA dealership, they talked about a previous technology exchange between Ford and Toyota (much like the one between Mercury outboards and Yamaha), that involved Ford pickup technology being exchanged for something else. Look closely (including underneath); I think it really happened. I've had a lot of Fords, including diesels, and I think those that choose to bash the Toyota maybe haven't asked the 2nd generation Tundra to go do some real work. It was an eye opening experience for me.
seeleylaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #44

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm not exceeding squat. Others can fantasize while I'm traveling. Have a nice trip.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Can I join the party?

Hi, not all half tons are the same and not all 25'ers are the same. My Lincoln gets its torque at a very low 2,750 RPM. [rare for a gas engine] And my 2005 Safari 25-B has a GVWR of 6,300 lbs. [1,000 lbs less than most newer models] With my Lincoln rated to tow 8,900 lbs, I have well over a 20% safety margin. But at the time we purchased our trailer, a 25' Classic had a GVWR of 7,300 lbs and I personally determined that that was more than I wanted to tow with my half ton Lincoln, even though still well within the specs. Too many combinations to generalize that half tons aren't good to tow a 25'er. But in my opinion the breaking point does seem to appear in the 25' range. [lower rated half ton with a higher GVWR 25' trailer is the deal breaker]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Silvertwinkie, you are correct in taking into account the effect of the WD hitch on Brian's TV + trailer combination. When I was calculating the effect of a WD hitch on my Tundra's payload, I took that into account too and decided I was within safety margins.

The 80% rule sounds good, but I have not seen any indication that anyone has actually figured out that it is true. It may be an assumption rather than a scientific explanation that has become a rule that everyone accepts as true because it has been said over and over. I'm not saying we shouldn't take it into account, and I have said it myself, but what proof is there that it is absolutely correct?

Bill, I know I'm not going to change your mind very easily. We've been over this again and again. What Toyota did you lease—Tacoma or Tundra? Which year—they both have changed a lot over the years. Most of us who have driven Toyota trucks have very positive experiences, but with any product (GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc.) there are a few bad ones. Having had a 2002 and a 2007 Tundra I can tell you from my experience there is no comparison between the trucks. Crawl underneath a 2nd gen. Tundra and look it the suspension. It looks more like a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton. The 1st gen. Tundra looks puny compared to the 2007. I didn't want to tow a Safari with my 2002, I sold it, bought the 2007.

And, it is very hard to say any truck is American or foreign. Parts come from all over the world. The local Toyota dealer tells me the problems they have with American built Toyotas mostly come from parts made in the US—that is depressing news. I had one switch replaced on the Tundra—it was American made.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Bob. The 7300lb rating vs the 6300lb rating doesn't mean that the trailer will actually weight 7300lbs, it just means that after mid 2005 Airstream upgraded the axle capacities to accept more NCC because what they found out, as most of us here knew, that the 6300lb max weight was an easy target to hit and in most cases exceed...heck a case of bee...I mean soda can weigh in a 18lbs alone (diet or light could reduce 1lb ). IIRC, the NCC for our units that have the 6000lb axles, which were a 6300GVWR was about 400 or 500lbs until they upped the axles. Then NCC went up by 1000lbs. Will you fill it? Hard to say, but as Brian shows, it isn't hard to exceed the orig 6300 on a 25er with ample the storage and accessories these offer.

As for the American issue that's been brought up, folks here are right on, there are no fully domestic or foreign autos anymore in this global economy, however, the profits for said vehicles do go to the respected companies in their country of origin. It's like Microsoft, they own nearly 8-9 out of every computer on the planet with their software. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're an American company and the profits stay here in the US. That is not to say that your Toyota purchase is not supporting Americans, it is, but as Gene pointed out, it is a sad state of reality that things produced domesticically, regardless of brand tend to have lower overall QC. Look at our RV industry....it's plagued with QC issues...even Airstream is not immune. Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes....similar issues. I can tell you that of the Hondas we've owned, the ones made in Japan that were imported had nearly zero problems. Both Honda produced in Ohio were very problematic compared to the first Honda we had that was imported from Japan.

My whole contention however is not with any of this, it's with the product. Being a GM fan, in the linked tests, it didn't to so hot either. The Toyota's results were disappointing. Some folks may say the tests were rigged, but deep down I know it's only a 1/2 truck. I by no means mean to beat the chest for the big 2.5, but they do have some distinct differences between their 1/2 and 3/4. I don't see that in the "foreign" offerings....yet. When they do however, my whole problem with them will evaporate. That is not to say they are bad trucks, they aren't, I just don't personally feel they are enough to deal with a 25er or larger. I also don't believe a Dodge Intrepid should be towing a 34' Airstream with or without it's rear wheels on.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Where the OP is now.

I had my walk through on the AS yesterday, and went looking for comparisons on a new tow vehicle. My Tundra has a capacity of 6600 pounds, and the build sheet says the AS is 5060 dry, but it didn't include upgrades like the awnings all around, the audio visual package a 23" flat screen tv, and all liquids, food, and cargo. The water and holding tanks on the 25B are located in front of the axle too. I was/am most concerned about rear axle ratings on the Tundra, and the AS has a relatively heavy 860 pound hitch weight. The Tundra's owners's manual warns of not exceeding more than 10% of the GVWR(660 pounds) tongue weight.

I've camped in different rigs for over thirty years, motorhomes, 5th wheels, TT's, and even a 13' Scamp, and I know from those experiences that while we try to travel as light as we can, we have at least 1200 pounds of gear, food, us, and the dogs(three of em) with us on any lengthy trip.

I believe the previous poster's weight from actually weighing his AS. The manufacturer's weight estimates can even vary from AS to AS model.

My two TV's of choice this week are the 2003 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD, 77k miles and now I'm looking at a 2005 Chevy 1 ton dually duramax 2WD with 39,000 miles. The 2005 is in much better shape from what I can tell, and is priced 5K more than the 2003. It also looks cool, like a real workhorse TV, with running light and nerf bars:-)

I had just about made my mind up to purchase the 2005 when I read the post about a one ton causing problems with the AS. I realize the one ton is probably overkill, but I want to make this my last tow vehicle purchase.

Beautiful wife is being patient now, but I've been married mostly happily for 40 years, and I know she won't be happy long if we go through this again in a few months or maybe even decades. So I'm trying not have to second guess this purchase. I'm preferring the diesel choice now, just because when I tow I don't want to have to worry about whether I'll make it up the next hill.

The attraction to the one ton now(seriously) is the low miles, almost half those of the 2003. I've also been reading the Duramax diesel forums where many are experiencing problems with injectors on their 2001-2004 Duramax diesels. The late 2004 and on models apparently have been redesigned amd therefore "fixed". The one ton is also quite a bit quieter when idling and when under load.

When all is said and done I also realize that 39K for the AS, and 23K for a new TV can buy a lot of tropical exotic vacations, but that's not me. I'd rather be with a great group of AS'ers at a rally, or camped by a babbling brook all by ourselves. RV ownership gives one a lot of freedom, while also causing lots of grief and expense at times too. At least it's not a boat, but don't get me started on that one!

Thanks so much for all the input. I have much food for thought.
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

WADR

Tundra's are domestic, thanks for the clarification.

If you want to drive foreign that's your choice. If it works for you great. As long as it's safe why should I care?

I choose not, and that works for ME. I feel no compulsation to explain why or try to change others opinions.

Sweet Stream's
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #50
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, you are looking at this in the right way—checking out everything, weighing all the information, and trying to make decisions in an imperfect world. We all go through the same things and hope for the best decision. I'm sure you will make the best decision for you and your beautiful wife.

Meanwhile some of us will continue to argue the same things for all time, but Bill has made the right decision for him and his beautiful wife and so have I, and so has everyone else (mostly). For the most part we don't take it personally, though we do get a little excited, and why not? Fortunately we don't debate who's wife is more beautiful (I do know the answer to that one). All will agree all Airsteams are beautiful.

Enjoy your new Airstream and take your time deciding on the right TV for you.

Gene
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #51
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just to inject a bit of levity to this thread:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eject.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	78403  
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I have drawn this analogy before, but the tow vehicle discussion is like campfire rifle banter. Some guys will argue that you can't shoot a whitetail deer with anything less than a .300 Win Mag. Others (like me) hunt deer with a much smaller rifle.

Gene's comment is spot on, Steve. You are wise to take the time to read the actual manufacturer's data from Airstream and truck manufacturers. Educate yourself on concepts like GWR, GVWR, GCWR, etc. For reasons of safety and liability, I think it is good advice to stay within all of the legal ratings for vehicle, coach and "combo." Within the legal limits, towing is a matter of preference and driving style rather than science. What works for you may not work for the next guy. Gene has towed his late model Safari successfully with his Tundra... the next guy might have "white knuckles."

While tow vehicle selection generates heat (and smoke), things like proper selection and installation of a WD hitch are important. I recommend having a professional set up the hitch. While there is a fixation on vehicle frames, I have yet to see evidence of an Airstream-related accident caused by vehicle frame failure. I have seen reports of crumpled aluminum (and people) due to brake failures. Things like properly maintained brakes (on both TV and trailer) and a quality controller (I use Prodigy) are critical.

As our local volunteer fire department likes to say, the most important part of your car is the nut behind the wheel. The best tow rig in the world is not an adequate substitute for a driver's judgment. Have fun with your Airstream and be safe out there.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #53
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Steve, you are looking at this in the right way—checking out everything, weighing all the information, and trying to make decisions in an imperfect world. We all go through the same things and hope for the best decision. I'm sure you will make the best decision for you and your beautiful wife.

Meanwhile some of us will continue to argue the same things for all time, but Bill has made the right decision for him and his beautiful wife and so have I, and so has everyone else (mostly). For the most part we don't take it personally, though we do get a little excited, and why not? Fortunately we don't debate who's wife is more beautiful (I do know the answer to that one). All will agree all Airsteams are beautiful.

Enjoy your new Airstream and take your time deciding on the right TV for you.

Gene
Amen...
Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I saw a newer Toyota Tundra ( 08 ) pulling a landscape trailer, with 2 skids of sod on it. I had a skid of sod in my bed, and 3 on a trailer a few weeks ago. I will say that guy driving his Toyota wasnt feeling very comfortable, he was tying up the middle lane of 271 Northbound. maybe 50 mph. But he had a heck of a nice veiw of the clouds. He was lookin up right at'em.

I guess some of us expect a little more for our money. (some of us)

I can say when my SuperDuty is loaded up, I get a grin on my face, it is always a pleasure to tow with.

But you gotta go with what excites you, cuz at the end of the day its in your garage.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We tow with different vehicles in Canada because we always have tail winds and there are no hills here.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Towed my 72 23' all over with my 2005 Tundra. no issues, Bought new 5.7 Tundra in 2007 for tow mirrrors and the built in navigation and its great. The tow vehicle before 2005 was an F 250 and I greatly prefer the Tundra. Going from San Diego east gives me grades and no problems. Look at the old caravan photos and see all the cars towing
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
What excites me isn't necessarily whatI can afford

Every buying decison is dictated by many factors. I'd love to have a Ford F-550 in my driveway(won't fit in the garage), but I can't see the price difference 15-20K between the two as viable for me. The Tundra is rated to tow and haul way more than I'll ever ask it to. I'm pleased with my decision which was not taken lightly. I've taken the time to read all I can from Tundra owners and AS owners too.

I promise I won't haul sod, especially in Ohio! Steve
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #58
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I saw a Toyota hauling a small 5er a couple weeks ago. He was clearly overburdened, front end way up, rear end way down, moving VERY slowly on the interstate. This is not a job for a ½ ton. Any 1/2ton. That load of sod probably was not either. I am sure that yota is fine for a 23’ or a vintage unit. But anything bigger just is not suitable for a ½ ton. I t bewilders that some Folks believe these foreign trucks are anything more than that.
Is the new yota competitive to every other ½ ton out there? Yes, they all have a tow rating somewhere around 11k pounds and payloads around 1700#-1900#.

Is it anymore than all the others? No. Not in any way.

Unless you are in Canada.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #59
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, I'm sure the Tundra will work for you. OhScottyOh has been towing a 27' with one and has had no problems. He lives on the Oregon coast too.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I don't think anyone on this thread was recommending towing a fifth wheel with a Tundra, Bill. Nor do I think anyone has said the Tundra is a 3/4-ton truck. The original post was about using a Tundra to pull a 25' trailer weighing about 5,000 pounds dry... a situation where we've already walked through the math.

Given the track record of the Tundra and an objective analysis of the components, I think a person can make a reasonable argument that it is the best 1/2-ton truck on the market today. Does this mean it will do everything? Of course not... it just means that some pickup drivers have looked at the 1/2-ton trucks currently offered and found the Tundra best fits their needs (particularly with the 5.7l engine). I have enjoyed my Titan, but two towing weak points are the brakes and the rear differential. The Tundra has 14" rotors front; 13 9/6" rotors rear. This is pretty much what you'll find on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The rear differential on the Toyota compares with a Dana 70 where the Titan has a modified Dana 44. While I'm a relatively happy Titan owner, there's no doubt in my mind that the Tundra is a better built truck than the Titan for towing.

I think, Bill, that Tundra benefits from "brand loyalty." Of the "modern era" vehicles I have owned, the only one that comes close to Toyota in reliability and durability is Volvo. Given the woes of the American car makers, I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the Hino division of Toyota makes a run at the 3/4 to 1-ton consumer market here.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote