Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #1

Brandon , Mississippi
2005 Ford F-150 and 25 ft Safari???

Hey guys. I have been cruisinf this forum for about 6 months and have finally bitten the bullet and am getting a used Safari 25ft. My tow vehicle for the nest couple of years will have to be my F-150. What suggestions do ya'll have for things to do to the truck to get it ready for towing my new trailer. Thanks in advance.
jawbreakerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Your truck needs to be wired so that you can tow the trailer, including an "electric brake controller."

Also, you should have a full sway control hitch installed with a rating of 750 pounds.

A Reese straight line hitch does an excellent job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Howdy jawbreakerms -- Welcome to the Forums! More information is gooder if I can say that. Glad to have you aboard.

What year 25-footer do you anticipate? Airstream's FAQ http://www.airstream.com/docs/weights-1.pdf weights page gives curb (empty) weights that start at 3450# and go north of 6000#.

What engine in your 2005 F-150? Does it have a Class III receiver with a round 7-pin umbilical plug? Brake controllers are aftermarket. A P3 or Prodigy from rjays is hard to beat if you can handle the pigtail installation yourself -- if needed your Ford dealer would be able to show you the under-dash plugin that should be there if your truck came standard with the 7-pin plug. [on edit: compare rjays to local sourcing though. Tekonsha brake controllers are available everywhere.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I am a newbie as well and I bought the cart before the horse. What I mean is I bought a 1988 34' Limited Airstream back in November. I started looking for a vehicle to tow it, and having owned Ford before I looked at the F series.

As luck would have it I went to a large Ford dealer and got an unbelievable deal on an F-350 6.4L diesel. I have been driving this truck since the beginning of December, and thinking I bought too much truck. Well today, that changed dramatically, as I towed my trailer for the first time. I hooked up, adjusted the hitch, adjusted the brake controller, and off I went. I am so thankful that I bought that truck! It towed the limited without a grunt, The trailer followed just beautifully, and I was in full control, brakes and all.

I can't wait to get going in the spring!

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
You cn go over many of my post on this subject of a f150 and our 28 Safari. Our truck has all the packages( tow and snow plow) and the 5.4 with 300 HP and 3.73 gear ratio. If set up correctly you should be able coast to coast with little or no issues. In all fairness however any deviation from the above can make a huge difference. Inland Andy is correct as well about the Reese straight line hitch. I have it and it works perfect. Good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote