Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
2003 GMC Mirrors

My 2003 GMC Sierra has the standard power mirrors with turn signals built into the glass. There is a minimal groove or indentation that apparently holds the mirror in the out position.

I have had trouble with these mirrors folding in the wind when towing with clip on mirrors. Has anyone else had the same problem?

One dealer so far has told me there is no adjustment on these mirrors. They checked a vehicle on the lot and found the same condition on a new 2004 with same mirror. If you don't tow and use nothing but the standard mirror, you are apparently ok?

I have been planning to use the cipa clip on mirrors. Any one had a similar problem?

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Have you considered the camper mirror upgrade. I think it was a $55 factory option.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I agree with Silvertwinkie, get the camper mirror upgrade. You just push the button to extend/retract them.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
I bought the truck out of state, off the lot with the standard power mirrors.

Didn't even think about towing mirrors before purchase, now they want $350 for the nonpower extendable towing mirrors and $500 for the power extendable version.

I am going to a dealer today and ask for some kind of sales concession, warranty, trade, etc. There is no question in my mind that these mirrors are not right. (no stop point where they pivot) Typical american engineering; too many versions, options, etc. until you don't do the basics right.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
For a little over $100 you can get the McKesh Mirrors from Hensley Hitch. They are great. I struggled with the clip on mirrors for two many year before I purchased the McKesh Mirrors.

They are very easy to install and take off. You only use them when you are towing. Put the rest of your money in your pocket.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Hello folks, I guess I posted too soon.

Here's the story on the gmc standard power mirrors. (most likely scenerio)

The delivery truckers apparently push the mirrors in so they won't get bumped while being hauled. This causes the electric motors to become disengaged!!!! I have checked trucks on 3 dealer lots and all were the same - power mirrors with turn signals in the glass are all disengaged from the motor and the pastic housing will move forward and back with little or no effort.

To fix it (1) move the rocker type left or right mirror switch to middle position (2) then hold down the big square mirror position button to bring the mirrors in. ( this will rotate the plastic mirror housing in until it is parallel to the window glass) (3) then hold down the big square mirror position button to rotate the mirror housing to the out position. ( it will now be engaged with the motor and won't wiggled with the wind, etc)

I owe gm's engineers an apology, not their service techs who don't know their proverbial you know what from a hole in the ground, nor their salesman who are suppose to give every new customer a checkout on the computer programming, etc.

There is a service bulletin on this subject. I have a copy but, left it in the truck. If anyone wants the number, I can get it.