Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Gmc1500

I tow with a 2015 GMC 1500 c/c with max tow package. They must build the GM tougher than fords. I have no tow issues pulling my 34 limited at any speed. I try to stay within the manufacturer recommendations for the trailer tires. No sway no problems being passed and no porpoising. Many people exceed that for some reason but their day is near. The F150 must have a smaller weight and tow capacty after watching the posts on the issues people are having with tow experiences
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvollans View Post
I tow with a 2015 GMC 1500 c/c with max tow package. They must build the GM tougher than fords. I have no tow issues pulling my 34 limited at any speed. I try to stay within the manufacturer recommendations for the trailer tires. No sway no problems being passed and no porpoising. Many people exceed that for some reason but their day is near. The F150 must have a smaller weight and tow capacty after watching the posts on the issues people are having with tow experiences

My Silverado 1500 kicks a$$.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #43
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ahh, you were both in detention hall the day they passed out the Blue Koolaid during homeroom.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I can help a little with your GM superiority complex.

There is very little difference in handling between a 1/2 ton Ford and a 1/2 ton GM truck if they have the same tire and wheel size. The differences here are in hitch configurations.

One advantage of a GM is that it is about 1/2 the cost to put great shocks on it.

The Ford though does come with a good receiver the GM's will twist easier.

On 3/4 ton trucks the GM's are substantially better than Fords or Dodges due to their independent front suspension. Unfortunately, they are just about as tall as the ford and dodge so a lot of the suspension equity is used up controlling the tall centre of gravity.

Give me a dialled in 1/2 ton any day.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I long for the good old days when some of the most contentious, but good natured arguments were Ford v. Chevy.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I can help a little with your GM superiority complex.

There is very little difference in handling between a 1/2 ton Ford and a 1/2 ton GM truck if they have the same tire and wheel size. The differences here are in hitch configurations.

The Ford though does come with a good receiver the GM's will twist easier.
Last summer someone posted photos of their airstream, which had rolled down a hill and came to rest against a tree, at a campground. They also posted pictures of how the welds on the receiver had come apart, where it connects to the tubes. That week I ordered and replaced the one on my Sierra 1500 with a heavy duty Curt hitch. In my opinion, cheap insurance, but the OEM really is junk. (I tried searching for the thread, to link, but couldn't find it)
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
2 WD F150 Towing Stability Issue

The good news is that when I receiver completely falls off it is always at low speed in deep dip that loads it up. I have not heard of one coming off at highway speed.

GM has improved their pickup receivers since then though not fantastic I don’t think they will fall off anymore.

Ford improved their pickup receiver a few years ago. Except the Raptor which gets the light duty receiver. Dodges were always pretty good.

Interesting the Durango which shares its platform with Mercedes has a much better receiver than the Mercedes does. It still needs reinforcement for heavier hitch weights but it’s not going to fall off.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
My Silverado 1500 kicks a$$.
Looks like I made a good decision downsizing from a 2500 GMC to a 1500GMC. We will see, but am looking forward to it.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
I would not be afraid of it, setting up a weight distribution though rarely done properly is not rocket science.

Your current combination likely isn’t nearly as stable as you think it is. Sometimes towing on the ball can feel ok but there is very little depth of control to handle the unexpected.

If you like send me an email. andy@canamrv.ca and I can send you a a couple of sheets on how to set it up correctly.

Andy

Thanks Andy
LaBigDogs@Me.com
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I had the same issue when I got my 2016 F-150 and it was the awful Goodyear Wrangler FORTITUDE tires. They’re super soft, ride great, and are great for fuel economy, but horrible for towing.

I swapped them for Cooper Discoverer AT/3 in load range C and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Sway Control Switch

Did you try towing with the Ford Sway Control Disabled ? Towing my classic 30 with Hensley / Lincoln Navigator felt a bit strange until I turned OFF the Sway Control on vehicle settings/towing -- just a thought. My theory is the Ford Electronic Sway control was fighting my Hensley. I turned it off and everything went back to normal. just a thought.
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
From my GM Dealer daze....

Round bar, short mount=replace.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_18fc.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	299957   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10bf.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	299958  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 SUB #2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	299959  
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
The recommendations for measuring the dimensions of the truck before and after are silly. You need to weigh the rig, loaded for camping, to confirm that you do not have a light front end. There is no substitution for a scale!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaia View Post
The recommendations for measuring the dimensions of the truck before and after are silly. You need to weigh the rig, loaded for camping, to confirm that you do not have a light front end. There is no substitution for a scale!
But you have to do SOMETHING to estimate the proper WD settings even to get to the scale.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
...so who's silly now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
But you have to do SOMETHING to estimate the proper WD settings even to get to the scale.
Exactly....

What is SILLY is going to the scales WITHOUT doing everything you can do to get the rig as safe as you can with MEASUREMENTS.

We were only 175 under what the scales told us.

Bob
Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #56
Sun Rae

1977 Argosy 28
Lewisburg , Tennessee
make sure you weight distribution hitch is lowering your front end 1/2 inch after bars are installed
jack9443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What all this proves is that an improperly setup wd hitch can be just as bad as towing on tbe ball. My initial set up onmy avion took so much weight off the rear that it was dangerous. This on a on a one ton. Get the wd sc set up properly by at least doing the measurement method! Confirm with weights if necessary later. Renember in this case the truck was already very light in the rear, removing weight compounded the problem even though the front did not Feel Light. The same thing can occur with a half ton truck because of the rear weight bias.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Yesterday I installed the Blue Ox BXW1000 SwayPro Weight Distribution/Sway Control - 1,000 lbs Tongue Weight paired with the B&W Hitches HB94050 2 5/16" Chrome Hitch Ball 1 1/4" Shank Dia. 16K Capacity. TV is 2018 F-150 Platinum 3.5L V-6 4x4 Max Tow 6.5' bed (Factory Tires) pulling the SS Clipper our 2015 27fb International Serenity. Installed myself (it was very easy) after watching many hours of you tube videos and good information obtained here, fellow Airstreamers and from Andy. Dialed it with measurements from each bumper of the F-150, and each corner of the Airstream. Took it out for a test spin on the freeway and it was solid and stable, very agile with the low center of gravity of the F-150. The independent front suspension paired with Max Tow's factory installed front stabilizer bar proved to be solid and planted to the pavement. The rear was solid and with no roll thanks to our installation of the Roadmaster Active Suspension kit. (About $350). I know this is a 4X4 but wanted to share my experience with my setup. The reason for us owning an Airstream is to keep it simple and the F-150 is the perfect marriage for towing with it's low center of gravity, monster torque, and hp to spare.
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There you go! Properly set up riig per instructions!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
To the OP:

There are several things at play here, most of which have been mentioned.

1. The 4x4 system adds weight to the front. You have a differential, axle half-shafts, vacuum-operated hubs...plus the weight of the transfer case and front driveshaft a little further back. So not only will the truck be a little lighter in general, it will be lighter on the front end.

2. The 2015+ trucks are all aluminum except for the frame, axles, suspension, and firewall...making the whole truck several hundred pounds lighter than your previous truck. This will not make towing more stable.

3. The suspension is a little softer on the aluminum body trucks than the previous generation like you owned. The reason is because the suspension has to hold up the payload plus the weight of the truck minus unsprung weight like the wheels and axles. Since the aluminum body and bed of the truck weigh less than before, the new truck can have softer springs for a better ride while maintaining the same payload as before. Despite the lighter truck with the same payload, those softer springs still have to deal with your same heavy trailer. A lighter weight truck does not make a more stable towing vehicle.

4. Tires play an important role. A "10-ply" tire which would be found on a 3/4 ton truck will mean a harsher ride and likely worse fuel economy. I've also heard the significantly heavier weight of these tires causes premature front ball joint failure because the ball joints are not designed to constantly have this extra weight bouncing along. Nevertheless, they will tow much better...you won't have any concern for overloading your tire capacity and the sidewalls will flex much less.

5. Ford vs GM vs RAM comments: All of the half tons are pretty similar. From an engine perspective, the EcoBoost is most similar to a diesel and has excellent pulling characteristics. I'd certainly prefer it over any of the normal V8 options for towing. I doubt it will be long before the GM and RAM half tons are also aluminum, or mostly aluminum. Shedding weight means better performance and fuel economy. Ford trailer hitches are not bending, either.

6. Have you considered a 3/4 ton? Although I think with tires and maybe a bit of W/D hitch tuning your truck should tow your AS comfortably, a 3/4 ton truck is only marginally more expensive to buy (if you pick the gas motor). Yes, it will achieve less fuel economy and not steer as nimbly...but a modern 3/4 ton is pretty easy to drive.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote