Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Ford says the Auto mode is suitable for general driving. I still say it’s unneeded (except when it is ...)

We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preligen View Post

Snow specific tires on a 2wd will always outperform all season tires on a 4wd.
Amen; It is important to remember that 4wd is only a traction aid; it doesn't help you stay on the road, or with braking, or with turning at speed. People with 4wd forget that once up to speed, where 4wd effectiveness is diminished, they're just like everyone else on the road; driving on four tires.

A good set of winter tires on a 2wd, (especially FWD) will outperform a 4wd vehicle on all season tires every time.

Be safe, especially this weekend, up in this neck of the woods, (ice storm).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Preligen and Sidekick Tony mention winter tires, and I couldn't agree more (we swear by Nokian Hakkapaliittas). We run our '16 4WD Suburban in 2WD almost all winter here in Michigan and Buffalo with zero issues. We only use the 4WD to get in and out of driveways and climb freshly covered hills in Western NY.

That said, I loved my older trucks with manual cases and hubs where I could use the low range on the transfer case and not lock the front hubs. Great control over the trailer on humped sites or backing uphill. Ford Super Duty models are easy to install a hub lock cut-off switch on, but I haven't figured it out on our Suburban (plus, it's still in warranty for a couple more months).

I think you have to ask yourself where you plan on going, and how you plan on using the truck. 4WD is a $2-3k option, and you can get great winter tires for $1k. Tires are expendable, and the 4WD will retain much of it's value. You'll lose 1-2 MPG with 4WD, even when it's not activated, and you'll give up 1-200# of payload with it, too, sometimes more when you have the off-road package with extra steel skid plates.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I've been driving 4x4 Jeeps, Scouts, and trucks since the 70s. Rule of thumb: On road, always 2WD until road is snow-covered, and *never* drive over 40mph in 4WD. If you can safely drive +40mph, you don't need 4WD; if you need 4WD, you have no reason to be driving over 40mph. While towing, I'd even drop that to 30mph. Remember, you gotta stop and corner with that rig. Off road, stay in 2WD unless wheel start to lose grip, then switch to 4WD to get out or through. If you start out in 4WD, by the time your wheels start to spin you have no "Plan B" - you're stuck. If on the highway, in the rain - 2WD and just slow down - 4WD doesn't help braking or cornering with a trailer...
Old 04-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Excellent advice. Sometimes 4WD is just a good way to get you stuck even further from pavement. Its not a substitute for smart and careful driving, and does NOT help in the rain, unless you enjoy total loss of traction on all 4 corners!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Excellent advice. Sometimes 4WD is just a good way to get you stuck even further from pavement. Its not a substitute for smart and careful driving, and does NOT help in the rain, unless you enjoy total loss of traction on all 4 corners!!!
I sometimes use 4wd in wet weather to improve takeoff from a light without wheel spin. I disengage it at speed. Traction control helps but it reduces engine power more than is tolerable in heavy city traffic so it gets shut off.

The 2wd Suburban is so heavy wheel spin is not an issue.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthralled View Post
We live in a very wet area of Washington State. 4 wheel drive is never used in the rain, only off road and then only when needed such as snow or off pavement.
There is a big difference in areas that rain a lot vs. very little. Case in point, Southern California. Guys down here get a bad rap (though some deservedly!) for not knowing how to drive in rain, and flying off the roads at the first sight of rain.

This phenomenon is unique to places that stay mostly dry year round.

Consider all the petroleum products and fluids that comes off of cars. Without rain, that stuff just sits and permeates the roads. Collecting for sometimes, 9 months straight.

Ever see an oily residue float on top of water? Yeah, it's a classic oil slick. The first rain of the season is far more slick and dangerous in predominantly dry areas, than it is in wet regions. Mix that with lots of hills and terrain.

AWD or full-time 4WD is just more sure footed. We talk about towing stability and margin. Well, 4WD gives acceleration traction margin which is not a bad thing. If one has ever tried to accelerate off a side road, onto a main road, uphill in that first rain, in LA traffic. Or coming off a dirt side road onto a paved main road. Spinning tires in these situations is not so hard.

Sure, it comes with some addition weight and drag.

But you guys are generally willing to pay huge payload trade-offs for diesel which weighs much much more. And with diesels being way nose heavy, with relatively little weight over the drive wheels. I'm sure it's fun, but all the torque doesn't go anywhere if the tires can't put it down.

With the way I use my vehicle, it'll absolutely be AWD. Some of you don't use your vehicles this way, and that's okay too.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote