Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Porterville , California
1989 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 as a TV?

I am going to be picking up my Airstream sometime this week and I am woundering if I might be getting too big of a trailer. From what I was told in my other thread it's a 1968 22 foot Safari with twin beds. My TV is a 1989 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62 it's a 4.2 6 cylinder with a good size radiator and trans cooler. Please let me know what you think or any input. Thanks, Bryan
Bryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
From what limited information I've found, the towing capacity for 89 and 90 gas engined Land Cruisers (the 2F engine) was 3,500 pounds. Interestingly, the towing capacity for similar Landcruisers with diesel engines was 3,500 KG(!), which suggests that the frame and construction of the Land Cruiser has a considerable safety zone.

The dry weight for the 1968 22' Safari with twin beds is 3,490 lbs. That's dry, as in no water in the tank, no propane in the tanks, no clothes in the storage bins, etc.

So you'd be pretty much at the limit, or above, for the Land Cruiser. That's not to say it can't be done. You won't be barrelling down the roads at 75 mph with aplomb, but chances are, if you're into vintage Land Cruisers, that's not your bag anyway.

----
Kevin
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Porterville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageclot View Post
From what limited information I've found, the towing capacity for 89 and 90 gas engined Land Cruisers (the 2F engine) was 3,500 pounds. Interestingly, the towing capacity for similar Landcruisers with diesel engines was 3,500 KG(!), which suggests that the frame and construction of the Land Cruiser has a considerable safety zone.

The dry weight for the 1968 22' Safari with twin beds is 3,490 lbs. That's dry, as in no water in the tank, no propane in the tanks, no clothes in the storage bins, etc.

So you'd be pretty much at the limit, or above, for the Land Cruiser. That's not to say it can't be done. You won't be barrelling down the roads at 75 mph with aplomb, but chances are, if you're into vintage Land Cruisers, that's not your bag anyway.

----
Kevin
I was thinking it would be too much for my Landcruiser, well time for a new tow rig. Thanks so much, Bryan
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Been there, done that!

I too own a white 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser which I used to tow both my old '64 Safari (now Viking's) and my current '67 Globetrotter (see my photos). The short answer is that this while this iconic off-road vehicle could confidently cross any continent, it does not do well as a tow vehicle. Sure it is fine for around town and short hops, however it falls flat on its face when the first hills are encountered. I purchased the '64 Safari in Portland and towed it behind the LC back to the San Jose area. The Siskiyou Pass was BRUTAL! Other adventures to Monterey and Fresno further cemented the reality that the LC wasn't up to the task. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

-Todd
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Porterville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
Been there, done that!

I too own a white 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser which I used to tow both my old '64 Safari (now Viking's) and my current '67 Globetrotter (see my photos). The short answer is that this while this iconic off-road vehicle could confidently cross any continent, it does not do well as a tow vehicle. Sure it is fine for around town and short hops, however it falls flat on its face when the first hills are encountered. I purchased the '64 Safari in Portland and towed it behind the LC back to the San Jose area. The Siskiyou Pass was BRUTAL! Other adventures to Monterey and Fresno further cemented the reality that the LC wasn't up to the task. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

-Todd
Hey Todd,
Thanks for all the info, I sure like the photos of you're trailers and LC.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Nice landcruiser!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #7

Fresno , California
Bryan, sent you an email on the FJ 62....She is a beauty.
acoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #8

Fresno , California
Pleaaase email me back at either a.coen@earthrenew.com or 4coens@comcast.net Thank you Aaron
acoen is offline   Reply With Quote