Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #81

2001 27' Safari
Houston , Texas
Tow vehicle

In my opinion, you may want to look at Ford. Weíre towing with an F-150 Max tow package with a towing capacity of #11.300. Our truck has the 3.5 ecoboost and our airstream has the Hensley arrow hitch. Our trailer is a 27í Safari. We average 15 mpg and love the combination. Happy trails !
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
Go with 2500

I would go with the 2500 based on personal experience. Had a 25 ft Flying Cloud towed with our 4wd 1500 equipped with a towing package and anti-sway system installed by dealer. Due to a screw up with the hitch being installed too low we experienced a catastrophic roll-over. Won't go into specifics but suffice to say everyone was OK and we settled out for an AI Interstate Grand Tour 4wd (my wife will never tow a trailer again). In retrospect I would strongly advise at least the 2500 and stay with the AI specs for ball height regardless of what your dealer may say plus follow forum suggestions as to best anti-sway systems.
Taos Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
Iíll say it again

I have a Flying Cloud 25FB and a 2016 RAM 1500 Limited, less tongue weight capacity then the 19.

I have towed it to mile marker 0
I have towed it to Quebec
I have towed to San Diego
I have towed through the Rockies and the Smokeyís
I have towed to Graceland
I have towed passed DC, Chicago and Miami

Yes the F150 is better, yes a 2500 is better, yes my tongue weight spec stinks but it has an air suspension, a 5.7 liter, built in electric brake controller, antilock brakes and most importantly twice the leather of Ford and Chevy.

It will tow his 25í Airstream.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #84
OnTheRoad

2015 30' International
Strasburg , Colorado
Just finished a trip to California from the Denver area using a 2500 Chevrolet diesel Tow Vehicle over the Rocky Mountains. Our trip was a delight and the most memorable was the braking we had several stretches that were 6% or better grades and we hardly used our physical brakes and relied on our ďJake brakeĒ, what a difference.

Cannot say enough for diesel towing. Oh yes we averaged about 12 to 14 miles per gallon for the 2000 mile plus trip pulling a 30 footer.

Never a thought about weight we have plenty of capacity to spare.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
All your vehicles are wonderful but

He already owns the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited everyone is telling him he needs to buy another vehicle. He doesnít need to drop another 70,000 on a new diesel dually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	983B6F9A-F1FD-4277-B4D0-563F3030FF97.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	342307  
Old 06-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #86

2016 16' Flying Cloud
Trempealeau , Wisconsin
1500 eco diesel

I pulled my Airstream Flying cloud with a 1500 eco diesel. Added air bags and it did a good job pulling the 25 Flying cloud. Dumped the ecodiesel do to all the bad reviews about the engine crapping out at around 75000. Adding air bags would make a huge difference, Ram 1500 have coil springs instead of leaf springs which lower the towing capacity.
Python1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Midland , Texas
I originally had a 2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn with the 6.4 pulling a 25' International. Never had a hiccup and the 6.4 didnt know I was pulling a trailer. I had it outfitted with a Blue Ox WD system.
After 75k miles, I just traded for a 2019 1500 Ram Longhorn with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 axle ratio. I searched and found one with a slightly higher payload of 1650. I just returned from the scales and came back with the following numbers:

Steer Axle: 2980
Drive Axle: 3820 (4100# axle)
Trailer Axle: 5520

These numbers are with blue ox connected. I am concerned about the weight distribution on the truck axles and have an email into Blue ox to see what adjustments I need to make. The 5.7 has no issues handling the trailer but I want to see if i can improve the distribution numbers.
west_tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

huntington beach , California
I pull a 25ft 2014 flying cloud with a 2015 yukon..5.7 engine variable speed. Pulls up to 8500lbs. Works fine but any 1500 Truck should do better. 1500 Silveraldos pull around 11500 lbs. I'm thinking about buying a 1500 Ram Truck..I know their Diesels are the best but I think it's an over kill for a part timer. There are forums just for trucks. Trucks. I'm thinking you should not have any issues but just check the Mfg info. Ram trucks did have 2 issues.tailgate unlachting and defective driveshafts due to bad welding. They were recalled.
zkrisjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #89
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Had 1500 RAM, now Ram 2500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitydays View Post
Hello,

New to this forum, please take it easy on me.

I've got a great problem, My wife is saying "when you gonna get the truck and airstream." She is pushing me because the weather is getting good

I'm about to pull the trigger on :

19 RAM 150 Limited with all the tow related options and 20" tires.
19 Airstream Globetrotter 25

I'm reading about issues with the tongue weight and a low payload specific to this RAM/AS combo.

adult - 200lbs
adult - 130lbs
3 toddlers - 100 lbs

We pack heavy.

I do not want to jump to 2500 due to size and features.

What do you guys think?

Yes, many posters here are quite relentless. Everyone of them have the exact correct answer.

Everyone here will defend their decision no matter how wrong it is.

IMHO, you will be way under powered. Take it to the bank.

You are not going to get such a straight unvarnished opinion than the one I'm about to submit.

First, I now have a 2018 2500 Limited with Ram Boxes. If it's amenities you are worried about, stop worrying. The Limited will make some BMW owners drool.

I HAD a RAM 1500 Eco-diesel. LOVED IT. Pulled a 25 AS. Two adults, two 60 pound Retrievers and we do NOT over pack.

After two years of towing, two engines, two turbos, and two rear ends, we threw in the towel.

ALL our CatScale documents prove we were within our limits including CGVW. The answer to all your problems will be CGVW.

Our 1500 with its 30 plus MPG when not towing lost the fight.

One of the great things, IMHO, of owning a RAM is you can purchase a 2500 and still have coil springs which makes your ride almost 'Cadillac' grade level.

It was a VERY acceptable trade off.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #90
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
We have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, quadcab, 5.7L, 3:92 rear,8spd, posi, load rating ( on the door) 1836 lbs. We pull a 2016 25’ Flying Cloud, rear queen, Equalizer hitch. Have been in mountain environment in NC many times. We tow responsibly and the truck and trailer go to together effortlessly.
We started with a 2015 Ram 1500, learned the hard way about the load weight issue and moved forward.
Diesel was tempting, 2500 was tempting, but reality was for our personal towing requirements, the 1500 adequately equipped does the job, again, for what we’re pulling and where we go. Just sayin.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
Yes, many posters here are quite relentless. Everyone of them have the exact correct answer.

Everyone here will defend their decision no matter how wrong it is.

IMHO, you will be way under powered. Take it to the bank.

You are not going to get such a straight unvarnished opinion than the one I'm about to submit.

First, I now have a 2018 2500 Limited with Ram Boxes. If it's amenities you are worried about, stop worrying. The Limited will make some BMW owners drool.

I HAD a RAM 1500 Eco-diesel. LOVED IT. Pulled a 25 AS. Two adults, two 60 pound Retrievers and we do NOT over pack.

After two years of towing, two engines, two turbos, and two rear ends, we threw in the towel.

ALL our CatScale documents prove we were within our limits including CGVW. The answer to all your problems will be CGVW.

Our 1500 with its 30 plus MPG when not towing lost the fight.

One of the great things, IMHO, of owning a RAM is you can purchase a 2500 and still have coil springs which makes your ride almost 'Cadillac' grade level.

It was a VERY acceptable trade off.
Wow. Thatís quite a streak of bad experience with your TV. Iíd say itís far outside the norm from what we see on this forum.
Donít recall what engine the OP was thinking about but I canít imagine the 5.7 hemi being underpowered for pulling a 25.
The larger concern is cargo weight.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well - Lord help me....Iím going to be taking with a local Ram dealer about the 2019 Longhorn - 1500 or 2500 - if I should start a different thread just let me know.

Itís starts by just ďdoing the numbersĒ and that almost always leads to doing the deal....

While only 2í longer than the OPs my 27FB scales in at about 6000 with WD applied and about 1000 on the tongue. While a 1500 could do it, the 2500 would give me more hauling capacity. So Iím leaning there for sure.

I current have a Silverado Duramax 2500 which has been an excellent tow vehicle but 3 things Iím curious about with the Ram:

1) diesel vs gas - Iím leaning gas only because there is so much emission stuff and total cost of ownership from sale to maintenance to diesel costing more than gas where I live - itís like all the benefits have been chewed up....

2) thereís optional air bags - Iíve never had them - best to go without? I know thereís no WD purpose for them and wonder whether it screws up your ability to really dial things in properly. But some people swear by the comfort factor.

3) Iím not seeing a lot online about integrated brake controllers. Whatís the skinny on those? And are they compatible with my drum brakes on a 2012 FC?

Thoughts??

Again - if this hijack should be itís own thread Iím glad to do that - I just think itís sorta related....

Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
The one factor that is not being considered in any of this thread, is how long do you intend to keep your TV.....

If you are maxing out your TV towing capacity, it will be hard on your truck. It may do it just fine, for a couple years....but you are slowly tearing up your vehicle by maxing out its ability......

I have a bunch of cars, but for the sake of this illustration, I will use my Jeep Cherokee.....
I have a Jeep Cherokee, the classic 4wd, rugged offroad vehicle......It has the 4.0 high output straight 6 , 4 speed auto trans, 4wd, etc.....Laredo, loaded model.

The tow capacity for that vehicle is 5000 lbs. So, that means I can tow my 26' Overlander with my Jeep, right? It weighs about 4950 lbs. ready to travel....
So it is ok to haul it with my Jeep, right? IT is within the stated tow capacity? I have a good hitch....it is in impeccable condition, does not burn a drop of oil, runs cool as a cucumber in 98 degree weather.....so I can haul my Airstream with it, right?

Now if anyone on this forum is idiotic enough to think I could haul my Airstream with my Jeep Cherokee, you need to get your head examined....

Yes, it will move forward with the Airstream behind it. So does that mean it is ok to do it? Of course it does not mean that.
The fact that a vehicle will move forward with a camper behind it, that is within the weight limits , does not mean it should be done . If I started towing my Airstream with my Cherokee, it would tear it up. I could jump up and down, threaten to sue the manufacturer, pay for nasty ads in the local newspaper, but at the end of the day, I was an idiot for towing my Airstream with my Cherokee, because it totally maxed out the tow capacity.

If I did not care about tearing up my TV, or If I had a factory warranty that would keep it going until I traded it in on a new one, then that changes the criteria for making a decision;, but if I do not want to tear up my TV, and I intend to keep it for 7-8 years, I would be unwise to max out its abilities on a regular basis, because it will take its toll on the TV, and eventually destroy it, whereas, driven properly, and not pushed to the brink on a regular basis, the Cherokee will last for generations.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
I have your exact rig. Have a 2019 Rm Laramie Longhorn with tow package,5.7 Litre and towing a 2019 25 ft Globetrotter. Came with a Trekker hitch. Rides and handles very well.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #95

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Wow. Thatís quite a streak of bad experience with your TV. Iíd say itís far outside the norm from what we see on this forum.
Donít recall what engine the OP was thinking about but I canít imagine the 5.7 hemi being underpowered for pulling a 25.
The larger concern is cargo weight.
Yes. Cargo weight (ie. GCVW) is a factor the majority of us want to ignore. The defenders of being overweight are going to have "a lot of splainin' to do Lucy" when their vehicle involves another motorist.

One might think so about the streak but, now that our ownership is over I've learned that fleet owners are having similar problems with their Eco-diesels as well.

Additionally we just added our name to a class-action law suit. It covers retro so, anyone who has owned an Eco-diesel in a given time frame is eligible. So, I guess, not-so-much "far outside the norm".

I agree the OP was unclear of his desires but, I wonder if the Hemi has different specifications than the Eco-diesel. Although it is gas it's 5.7 as opposed to the Eco-diesel's 3.0.

Personally, I take the writings in this forum with a grain of salt. It is extremely easy to make outlandish claims anonymously and not have to account for them. Just sayin'.

Our new Limited was a hair north of 75k but, as they say, peace of mind . . . priceless. Besides, it gives me wiggle-room to upgrade to a longer Airstream.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #96

2016 16' Flying Cloud
Trempealeau , Wisconsin
For current and former eco diesel Chrysler is giving former owners $900 and current owners $3,000. Their is an online claim form. You need proof of purchase and if you no longer own it, proof of sale. Email me and Imwill send you the on line claim form.
Python1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #97

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
The one factor that is not being considered in any of this thread, is how long do you intend to keep your TV.....

If you are maxing out your TV towing capacity, it will be hard on your truck. It may do it just fine, for a couple years....but you are slowly tearing up your vehicle by maxing out its ability......

I have a bunch of cars, but for the sake of this illustration, I will use my Jeep Cherokee.....
I have a Jeep Cherokee, the classic 4wd, rugged offroad vehicle......It has the 4.0 high output straight 6 , 4 speed auto trans, 4wd, etc.....Laredo, loaded model.

The tow capacity for that vehicle is 5000 lbs. So, that means I can tow my 26' Overlander with my Jeep, right? It weighs about 4950 lbs. ready to travel....
So it is ok to haul it with my Jeep, right? IT is within the stated tow capacity? I have a good hitch....it is in impeccable condition, does not burn a drop of oil, runs cool as a cucumber in 98 degree weather.....so I can haul my Airstream with it, right?

Now if anyone on this forum is idiotic enough to think I could haul my Airstream with my Jeep Cherokee, you need to get your head examined....

Yes, it will move forward with the Airstream behind it. So does that mean it is ok to do it? Of course it does not mean that.
The fact that a vehicle will move forward with a camper behind it, that is within the weight limits , does not mean it should be done . If I started towing my Airstream with my Cherokee, it would tear it up. I could jump up and down, threaten to sue the manufacturer, pay for nasty ads in the local newspaper, but at the end of the day, I was an idiot for towing my Airstream with my Cherokee, because it totally maxed out the tow capacity.

If I did not care about tearing up my TV, or If I had a factory warranty that would keep it going until I traded it in on a new one, then that changes the criteria for making a decision;, but if I do not want to tear up my TV, and I intend to keep it for 7-8 years, I would be unwise to max out its abilities on a regular basis, because it will take its toll on the TV, and eventually destroy it, whereas, driven properly, and not pushed to the brink on a regular basis, the Cherokee will last for generations.
If I may, I beg to disagree with your "the one factor" not being considered.

The one factor NEVER mentioned in ANY of these towing threads is . . . what about the other guy?

Nope. It's all about ME. To heck with the family of four I just killed when my TT disconnected and flew into oncoming traffic.

Mic drop.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:17 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
If I may, I beg to disagree with your "the one factor" not being considered.

The one factor NEVER mentioned in ANY of these towing threads is . . . what about the other guy?

Nope. It's all about ME. To heck with the family of four I just killed when my TT disconnected and flew into oncoming traffic.

Mic drop.
I think you should just stay home and camp in your own driveway then. Much safer that way.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Not considering the other driver

My claim was that the RAM Limited wasnít the ideal choice but was adequate for a 25í Airstream and that I had traveled a good distance with it. Here are the specs for my specific 2016 by VIN and hereís some of the places itís been.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46138D11-40E8-4A7B-8094-E95ED340D8B1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	342530   Click image for larger version

Name:	72CA1F45-B229-415C-AB24-B7227B59B6E8.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	342531  

Old 06-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well - Lord help me....Iím going to be taking with a local Ram dealer about the 2019 Longhorn - 1500 or 2500 - if I should start a different thread just let me know.

Itís starts by just ďdoing the numbersĒ and that almost always leads to doing the deal....

While only 2í longer than the OPs my 27FB scales in at about 6000 with WD applied and about 1000 on the tongue. While a 1500 could do it, the 2500 would give me more hauling capacity. So Iím leaning there for sure.

I current have a Silverado Duramax 2500 which has been an excellent tow vehicle but 3 things Iím curious about with the Ram:

1) diesel vs gas - Iím leaning gas only because there is so much emission stuff and total cost of ownership from sale to maintenance to diesel costing more than gas where I live - itís like all the benefits have been chewed up....

2) thereís optional air bags - Iíve never had them - best to go without? I know thereís no WD purpose for them and wonder whether it screws up your ability to really dial things in properly. But some people swear by the comfort factor.

3) Iím not seeing a lot online about integrated brake controllers. Whatís the skinny on those? And are they compatible with my drum brakes on a 2012 FC?

Thoughts??

Again - if this hijack should be itís own thread Iím glad to do that - I just think itís sorta related....

Thanks!

Can you all please focus on ME and MY issues please?

So....start my own thread then? 🤨
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags