Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Feel free to ignore.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #42
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Feel free to ignore.
The problem isn't with those of us who understand the quality of the information you present, it is those new to the issue. Us ignoring you, while easy to do, doesn't help the community.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The problem isn't with those of us who understand the quality of the information you present, it is those new to the issue. Us ignoring you, while easy to do, doesn't help the community.
What are you, the protector of the Airstream community? You don't even know how to set up a wd hitch.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Yes. That's for a 1500, not for a 2500. A 2500 has a class V hitch rated for 1800 lbs and a W/D hitch is only recommended for heavier loads.
No.. that's straight out of the 2500 Owner's Manual, but thanks for playing.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondul View Post
No.. that's straight out of the 2500 Owner's Manual, but thanks for playing.
The manual covers 1500/3500/3500 trucks.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
There are no advantages to a diesel, if you do not need a diesel. The costs and the hassle outweigh the benefits, unless you absolutely have to have it......IMO, you only need a diesel if you are hauling very heavy loads, virtually every time you drive the truck.....Such as, delivering and hauling multiple cars on a huge trailer, hauling a huge cattle trailer back and forth to the feed lot, or similar.....

Not to mention, if you have vehicle trouble while on a trip, and it WILL happen, and you have a diesel, you are flat out screwed. Your trip is ruined, Lord only knows what may happen to your airstream when bubba joe comes to haul your rig to the shop, and it will take 5 times longer to have your repairs done, and will cost 4 times as much as a gas engine.

There is no advantage to the few, if any, extra miles to the gallon.....the difference in fuel costs blow that argument away. And you have to smell that stinking exhaust constantly......who wants to smell that? Don't get me wrong; the smell of diesel on a cool september morning is great, when I am on my John Deere tractor ! .....but it wears on you, and eventually you cannot stand the stench...

I just saw that Ford is making an F-150 with 450 hp, and a tow capacity of 13,500 lbs ! With a gas engine that is super quiet, gets great milage, and all in a package that does not shake your teeth loose !

But I agree with "out of sight", because he is right, about the weight distribution hitch....And an F-150 is not a super heavy truck, and hauling 8-9000 lbs with it will still be challenging, not because it does not have the hp to pull it, but because it does not have the ass to handle the weight. If you were towing a vintage AS that weighed 4500 lbs, then we have a totally different deal, and an F-150 with a strong gas motor would be perfect.

Put another way, just because you can, does not mean you should.

Modern Airstreams are heavy, and it presents buyers with a situation they did not expect , in many cases....after all, it is aluminum, right?

IMO, it would be a good move, to find a 2500 truck or suv, with a gas motor, and you have the ideal setup. Those vehicles weigh 1500 lbs or so more than a half ton vehicle, and that weight makes for a more pleasant driving experience.

We just bought a 2018 Tahoe to tow our 26', and it does it great, and gets 14 mpg at 70 mph, towing...amazing to me......but my vintage AS weight about 5000 lbs....IF it weighed 8000 lbs, no way.....oh the Tahoe would haul it, but it would tear it up. Motor has plenty of power, but the rest of the truck is just not heavy duty enough to haul that much weight without damaging it, sooner or later. Could probably do it for 15-20 k miles, then something is going to fail, prolly the transmission, first , then the rear end, then remainder of the suspension....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgutwein View Post
I've been pulling a 27' Globetrotter with a 2017 RAM 1500 for 18 months (12,000 miles) and have not had an issue. I have the 4X4 5.7L V8 with a Crew Cab and the 3.92 Axle rating. The max trailer weight on this set up is 10,140 lbs with payload of 1510. I have an equalizer weight distribution and anti sway hitch and it sits well and hasn't had an issue pulling up steep hills or stopping down them. Hope this helps!
We are on our 2nd RAM 1500 with close to 40,000 towing and have had no problems. Our 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.92 rear end has cargo weight of nearly 1700 lbs according to sticker. This year on our trip to Florida I stopped at a CAT scale, in the bed we had a Traeger grill, 4 camp chairs, table, portable water softener and over 75 lbs of glass, tool bag, full tank of gas and full propane tanks, empty black, gray and fresh water tanks plus 550 pounds of passengers and we were under weight by 300 lbs on rear axle and over by 85 lbs on front. The total trailer(25 FC) was around 6100 lbs. we had no problems towing through the mountains of Tennessee and got 12.9 mpg for the 975 mile trip driving around 63 mph.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Some of us have actually hauled heavy loads, for thousands of miles, and have first hand experience with this issue. Reading vehicle handbooks, and trying to digest numbers that are generally bogus, inflated, manipulated, stipulated, and in many cases, just pure bs, are no substitute for hitting the road with a heavy load, and hauling for thousands of miles, in every conceivable condition, up every mountain, through every hot valley, and experiencing first hand, just what a vehicle can and cannot do.

You can drop a heavy load right on the hitch of a heavy duty vehicle, and take off.....the real science is in knowing how to load a trailer properly. All the gadgetry on weight distribution hitches only creates more potential for failure while in motion.....and they absolutely do fail........, but heavy duty hitches on heavy duty vehicles rarely do.

I can't believe some of you are trying to argue this point.......its 4th grade physics.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #49
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
The manual covers 1500/3500/3500 trucks.
Actually, it covers 1500, 2500, and 3500 series RAM trucks. And provides specific instructions on FALR for 2500 and 3500 models.

You should read it sometime.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
perfect example of why u do not want a diesel

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...re-195623.html
Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Some of us have actually hauled heavy loads, for thousands of miles, and have first hand experience with this issue. Reading vehicle handbooks, and trying to digest numbers that are generally bogus, inflated, manipulated, stipulated, and in many cases, just pure bs, are no substitute for hitting the road with a heavy load, and hauling for thousands of miles, in every conceivable condition, up every mountain, through every hot valley, and experiencing first hand, just what a vehicle can and cannot do.

You can drop a heavy load right on the hitch of a heavy duty vehicle, and take off.....the real science is in knowing how to load a trailer properly. All the gadgetry on weight distribution hitches only creates more potential for failure while in motion.....and they absolutely do fail........, but heavy duty hitches on heavy duty vehicles rarely do.

I can't believe some of you are trying to argue this point.......its 4th grade physics.
I guess you just want to argue about diesels.. have at it😜 I guess you learned that in the 5th grade?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post

Your argument is bolstered by the fact that almost all trailers on the road being pulled by heavy duty pickups are being towed on the ball. Only a few people with travel trailers use weight distribution hitches with these vehicles. You never see one used for towing heavy construction or farm equipment.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Be careful, sometimes you can get really bad advice on the forum. Read everything, ask the experts and then make your own decisions
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
Be careful, sometimes you can get really bad advice on the forum. Read everything, ask the experts and then make your own decisions
This is about as good as advise and you can get! It is unfortunate, but there are a few who like to think they know what they are talking about but do not. However, those that are out of touch do become apparent once you have done your research.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
What are you, the protector of the Airstream community? You don't even know how to set up a wd hitch.
If it were not for those who post completely incorrect/inaccurate information, which may be taken to heart by some forum members to their detriment, there would be no need for a "protector of the Airstream community".
Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #56
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The problem isn't with those of us who understand the quality of the information you present, it is those new to the issues. Us ignoring you, while easy to do, doesn't help the community.
Quote:
What are you, the protector of the Airstream community?
Read it again. Us, not me. The collective who have jointly and repeatedly pointed out the risks of new members following your unsound advice, and the failings in your logic. Note that most have posted that you should do as you like with your own equipment. The concern is more over you trying to convince everybody else to follow your approach. Think of the responses to your posts as inoculations, preventative measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
If it were not for those who post completely incorrect/inaccurate information, which may be taken to heart by some forum members to their detriment, there would be no need for a "protector of the Airstream community".
I would just make it plural.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Your argument is bolstered by the fact that almost all trailers on the road being pulled by heavy duty pickups are being towed on the ball. Only a few people with travel trailers use weight distribution hitches with these vehicles. You never see one used for towing heavy construction or farm equipment.
Comparing construction and farm equipment trailering to travel trailers in this instance is ridiculous. Construction trailers and farm equipment trailers are rarely, if ever, towed any distance or at any speed. Together with the fact that they are frequently hitched and unhitched makes the use of WD somewhat impractical.

Travel trailers, on the other hand, are towed long distances at sustained highway speeds, making the use of WD more practical, comfortable and safe.

Your assertion that almost all trailers on the road being pulled by HD pickups are being towed on the ball is false. Most trailers on the road are 5th wheels and goosenecks. Similarly, your comment that only a few people with travel trailers use weight distribution is also false. While traveling extensively throughout Canada and the US, I can not recall the last time I saw someone towing a TT without WD.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
19 RAM 1500 + AS GT 25ft - Having Payload/Tongue Weight Issues?

Even SOB trailers have WD systems and anti-sway of some sort. The ones that don’t and tow on the ball are ones you see twitching from side to side as they go by at high speeds. I let them go by and hope I don’t run into the debris they may leave when they get into trouble.

IMHO, depending on luck is not a good idea when you are towing a travel trailer with your family aboard the tow vehicle. I’ll spend the money and time to have a properly loaded and hitched rig that includes weight distribution and anti sway systems. Stuff I can replace. It’s real hard to replace family and pets.

And, as ‘Maxwell Smart’ said it so well, “Everyone is entitled to at least one fatal error.” Personally I take action to avoid that scenario.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #59
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Add in the flat surfaces presented by travel trailers, located other than at the CoG, and it can be seen that machinery trailers (and for that matter boat trailers) are very different. With boats, it is common to remove canvas to reduce the flat surfaces that can catch a crosswind. Flat decks, it is a non issue. I have never used a WD hitch when towing a flat deck trailer.

Another trailer class that does have large flat surfaces to catch the wind is that of large box trailers. So they typically use WD equipment, just like travel trailers.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #60
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
.. almost all trailers on the road being pulled by heavy duty pickups are being towed on the ball. Only a few people with travel trailers use weight distribution hitches with these vehicles. You never see one used for towing heavy construction or farm equipment.
Almost all heavy trailers are designed for fifth wheel or gooseneck connections. Pickup manufacturers understand this well. They have a maximum towing rating which is set for those types of hitch connections. Then they reduce their towing ratings for towing on a standard hitch ball, or bumper pull hitch, due to the inherent instability of locating the tow ball so far aft of the rear axle. The mitigate the risk by advising the use of WD and sway control devices, but they still don't bring the tow ratings up to those they apply to more stable towing hitch configurations.

Whenever I read that a pickup is "designed to tow" I chuckle if the poster isn't referring to the type of trailer (5th wheel or gooseneck) that a pickup design is actually designed to tow.

Tags