Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
The fuel is injected in the exhaust after the engine , the level goes up because of the soot from reburning the a portion of the exhaust, the cj 4 oil was developed to carry the contaminates ,just my take on this
My understanding is the fuel was injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, and that's how it got into the engine oil over time.

Anyway, I know for a fact the oil level goes up, and that is one of the ways the 'puter knows when to change the oil.

Anyway, I no longer have the problem.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Steve, have you considered that with less fresh oil in the engine, the contaminants represent a higher percentgage of the total as they fill up the crankcase? This could mean less engine protection in two ways: a higher percentage of contaminants, and a longer time the engine has to suffer them.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Steve, have you considered that with less fresh oil in the engine, the contaminants represent a higher percentgage of the total as they fill up the crankcase? This could mean less engine protection in two ways: a higher percentage of contaminants, and a longer time the engine has to suffer them.
Yes, I've considered it. We're talking about one quart in three gallons, maybe, and there is a filter.

Additionally, I've been having samples of the oil that is drained out tested frequently with no issues found.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If you watch Napa's website they sometimes have Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 on sale for $10.99 gallon. This is an oil approved for the Cummins Engine though other properly rated oils are fine too. I only go 5k oil changes due to the emission components. If they were removed I would go 10k for sure with a synthetic oil.
The 2007.5 and newer Dodge trucks use an algorithm based upon how you drive the truck for when the oil gets changed.
I usually go with Hastings filters (same as Baldwin) or I can get the Mopar filter from Walmart. I would also be comfortable with a Napa Gold filter since it is a Wix brand in disguise.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote