Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Beachwood , Ohio
1597 lbs payload?

Still 12-24 months from being able to travel, but I think I found my truck: '15 F150 Lariat with max tow and the big mirrors. Not thick on the ground in this spec.

If I manage to pull off an Airstream, my ideal length would be 20 to 25 ft.

I'm confident about pulling a single axle with this much payload.

I think that 25' at this payload is pushing it at this payload.

A 23'/6000 lb trailer seems to be ideal, but they seem harder to find than a 25' (used).

I like the idea of dual axles, as that's what I've had in the past.

Ideal answer: Buy trailer first.

But: My kid is looking to buy a car now. She is looking for exactly what I drive (small stickshift hatchback Mazda, perfectly maintained but slightly scruffy looking). Pretty hard to find in any case, and non existent at the price I would sell her mine for. Seems crazy to wait a year and sell it myself, when I tripped over a good truck now and can let her have it.

And: Trailer availability now is low, prices high. 1-2 years from now, a bunch of those currently-sold-out trailers will be hitting the market, making availability high and prices low.

My questions for the hive mind:

Is it possible to find a half-ton with that level of equipment and a higher payload?

If not, how big have you pulled with a similarly specced truck, and what is your experience like...

If you tow a 23 or 25 footer with a similar specced truck, please tell me what your experience has been...

Bonus question if you have read this far:

Livability thoughts on the various 20-25 configs? 2 humans, one dog, multi week trips with 3-5 day stops along the way to somewhere new...

And of course I want a 27' and a 3/4 ton, but it's gotta be a daily driver...

Thanks!

Enjoy,
David
dshiffman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I tow a 23 FB with a GMC 1500 truck that has a payload rating of 1,479 lbs. My experience so far has been good. Personally, I wouldn’t go bigger than a 23-footer for my truck.

My wife and I also camp with a dog, and we find the 23 FB to be just right. I think that your camping style is important to consider. We wanted a small trailer to make it easier to get into state and national parks, as well as some boondocking. Many parks only allow a truck and trailer combination of 45’ or less. Ours is about 43-1/2 feet, which is perfect. We are not big television watchers, and we prefer to be outside. A queen sized bed was also important to us. We camp in a relatively light weight way - no bicycles or kayaks, no big generator, etc.

The thing that the 23 FB lacks is indoor lounging space. We sit at the dinette when we are inside, or put the table down and convert it to a lounge. It’s not bad, but we are more comfortable outside. If you want more lounge space, then a 23 CB (aka 23 D) might be better, but you get a smaller bed.

Ultimately you need to decide how you will camp and identify your priorities. This will lead you towards the right configuration.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We tow a FC 25rb with a 1/2 ton based SUV and 1552 payload. In my view, the payload limits what you can put in the truck more than what you can tow. Anyway, for us, it is two people and two smaller dogs, but we have to be reasonably careful about what else we put in the truck. I have done Cat Scale weighs and it shows it all within limits. Tows fine. we have about 5K miles towing it now.

At first, I really wanted a 23 because dual axles and its only two of us. We had a great opportunity to visit a consignment dealer and spend a good bit of time in both models without a salesperson. In the end, we decided we preferred the 25, but clearly that is a personal choice.

If you don't need to put a lot of things in your truck, I don't see why you can't tow a 25 with a 1/2 ton with the payload you listed.

Edit: I should mention that we got a 25RB because of lower real world tongue weights. I decided that the increased tongue weight of a 25FB might be beyond our payload and tongue weight limits.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Max tow pkg 6.2 gas engine Silverado 1500 crew cab 4wd has 1900 lbs useful load and easily tows my FC30 all over the country. I’m a happy Chevy guy.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
When I was shopping the 1/2 ton GMC Duramax it was pretty easy to find a nice crew cab with 2000 lb payload. I opted for bigger, however (see sig).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I agree, if a 25' trailer is a strong consideration, and given your camping description, a real payload near 2,000 lb is a better choice. I don't have a 1/2 ton but I have observed many with lower payloads who struggle with weight issues. I routinely carry right at 2000 lb tongue plus cargo with our 25', sometimes more but if I were limited to 2000 lb I could make that work without regrets.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not going to find a well equipped 150 with a lot more payload than that. What you need might depend upon what trailer your are going to buy. We have an older 1988 25' that puts 800 lbs on the truck when hitched.

Trucks are hard to find. I like driving a truck. So I would do the deal now if it is a deal I could live with. Probably it will pull almost any Airstream. If you end up wanting a bigger trailer and a new truck you can still trade again. Lots of people do pull large Airstreams with a 150 successfully.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Perhaps consider a 27FB rather than a 25. The 27FB has a lighter hitch weight, and the extra 2 feet of space is nice to have.
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Perhaps consider a 27FB rather than a 25. The 27FB has a lighter hitch weight, and the extra 2 feet of space is nice to have.

FWIW my 27 FBQ puts an easy 950 lbs on the truck
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
My 2020 F-150 lariat with 3.5eco and max tow has almost 1700# payload.
Towing 25’ Int. Rear bed. Chose rear bed twin primarily for extra space and putting that extra weight at the rear. Me my wife and 40 lb dog and crate in the cab. Camp chairs, small tool box, etc in the bed. Heaviest thing in the bed is a small Yeti cooler with ice and drinks. We towed from Tampa Fl to Athens , Ga without issue. Very impressed with eco boost and 10 speed tranny. Avg 15 mpg towing at 70 mph. Granted this was all on I-75 flat interstate. The real test will be the mountains but we will see. Biggest considerations for me was this truck being a daily driver. I’ve had a 250 and daily driving can be cumbersome and expensive. The 150 rides and drives like a Cadillac. At 5600 dry, the trailer is well within the limits. It’s all how you load the truck and trailer
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have pulled my 25 FB thousands of miles with my f150 limited(lowest capacities of all f150’s). It pulls great!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I have pulled my 25 FB thousands of miles with my f150 limited(lowest capacities of all f150’s). It pulls great!
And will continue to pull great until the suspension collapses due to chronic overloading. Happy Trails.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
And will continue to pull great until the suspension collapses due to chronic overloading. Happy Trails.
I really don’t think that’s a fair statement to make without knowing the specifics of that person’s situation. He could be towing his 25’ trailer with nothing in the truck bed and minimal in the cab and be just fine. Since he did not state what he was carrying to say he is chronically overloaded is unfair.
You be overloaded with an F150 and a 20’ or 23’ trailer depending on how much crap you have in the trailer and truck.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
And for what it's worth...according to Ford's 2020 model year published towing guide, the payload #'s assume a 150lb driver of the vehicle. I know other manufacturers do this also but I was not sure about Ford. I've had people tell me yes and no on this, but I found it myself right there in black and white on the fine print. So I would assume then that we are adding up our total weight of people, dogs, gear, etc. then we can subtract the 150lbs allowed for the driver. Or, put another way add 150lbs to whatever the payload sticker says??
I know this may seem like splitting hairs but for those that are really anal about this and worry about pushing the limits, then its something else to think about.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Driver and full gas tank
Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
The reason my payload limits are lower is low profile tires! I have 150-200lbs of cargo + 408lbs In occupants including the driver. I’m below the capacity limits!!! The truck isn’t made of legos! It won’t break in half! The manufacturer isn’t going to list a capacity that will place you in harms way for loading close to the capacity limit. The vehicle is designed to handle it. Are you going to drive the truck for 200,000 miles without an issue... probably not!!! With the technology in cars today, there’s no way I would drive a vehicle out of warranty...so who cares if it wears out prematurely! The question is: Will it do the job both comfortably and safely ...the answer is yes!!!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess we are different. My current truck just passed 250,000 miles. A good chunk of them pulling an Airstream.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have towed camping trailers of all kinds for over 45 years. I've used Pontiac Ventura - hitch broke off in WaWa Canada. I've used F150's, two of them. I've used F250's two of them and I've used F350's, one and one on order. I've towed 13' Scotty, as well as several other SOB and now five AS, ranging from 25' up to several 30' including one Classic. Over 250,00 miles towing campers. Just for some background, I also still hold a Class A CDL, not sure why but I do hang on to it.

What I've discovered over the years is I make mistakes. One dispite all my experience was this one. We currently have a 2020 F150 Ford King Ranch will all the options including HD towing. Rated to tow 11,500#. Should be a piece of cake for a 2020 28' FC AS and it is, except for payload. Our payload is 1480#. Actual hitch weight unloaded is not what AS says it is - not even close at I think 980#. It's 1,125#. My wife at 130# ( she wont' be happy about this post), our two labradors at a total of 150# which if my math is right leaves me with 245# for stuff - LOTS of stuff. Sometimes two kyaks and grear, two bikes, tools, sat antenna, ladders, dog food (can't fit in the trailer), spare parts etc. I am just by guessing just about 750-1000# over my payload. Which actally is ok if we don't go up and down mountains etc. So what to do?

We bit the bullet and ordered a 2021 F350 6.7 Diesel which will have a payload in excess of 3,800# as well as the engine brake.

I thought long and hard about it, and realized I never should have talked myself into accepting the capabilities of the F150. It's a fabulous truck, we love it, but about three years ago while towing our 30' Classic in the hills of Western PA we blew the back curb side brake assembly apart about 100 miles short of our destination an AS rally. The noise and the grinding I knew what it was and it was destroying our brake drum. So, I disconnected the electrical from the truck and trailer and drove on. With the F350 I honestly did not know the trailer had no brake capability at all. The F150 would not have been capable. I don't advise this, but it worked and worked flawlessly up and down hills, then onto and exiting an interstate. Also, I can't speak more highly of Coach Net. In the middle of the hills of western PA on Saturday morning they sent an interstate wrecker to our campsite, the young man took the tire off, cleaned up the brake mess and put the wheel etc back on. Then Dexter sent me after I called them four new brake assemblies as well as drums at no charge.

In, sum, I think at least for us it's a matter of lateral stability while towing and having a tow vehicle big enough and strong enough to help the driver in some pretty adverse condiditons and was designed to do so. We went with an F350 because Ford gave us a massive discount as a "loyal customer" plus another loyalty discount. While a GM at one facility I purchased over 50 Ford trucks and SUVs from one dealer and it's the same one we buy from today.

No matter what you drive or tow with - all have a safe and wonderful Airstream towing life. God Bless.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
is w z3zasq
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I have towed camping trailers of all kinds for over 45 years. I've used Pontiac Ventura - hitch broke off in WaWa Canada. I've used F150's, two of them. I've used F250's two of them and I've used F350's, one and one on order. I've towed 13' Scotty, as well as several other SOB and now five AS, ranging from 25' up to several 30' including one Classic. Over 250,00 miles towing campers. Just for some background, I also still hold a Class A CDL, not sure why but I do hang on to it.

What I've discovered over the years is I make mistakes. One dispite all my experience was this one. We currently have a 2020 F150 Ford King Ranch will all the options including HD towing. Rated to tow 11,500#. Should be a piece of cake for a 2020 28' FC AS and it is, except for payload. Our payload is 1480#. Actual hitch weight unloaded is not what AS says it is - not even close at I think 980#. It's 1,125#. My wife at 130# ( she wont' be happy about this post), our two labradors at a total of 150# which if my math is right leaves me with 245# for stuff - LOTS of stuff. Sometimes two kyaks and grear, two bikes, tools, sat antenna, ladders, dog food (can't fit in the trailer), spare parts etc. I am just by guessing just about 750-1000# over my payload. Which actally is ok if we don't go up and down mountains etc. So what to do?

We bit the bullet and ordered a 2021 F350 6.7 Diesel which will have a payload in excess of 3,800# as well as the engine brake.

I thought long and hard about it, and realized I never should have talked myself into accepting the capabilities of the F150. It's a fabulous truck, we love it, but about three years ago while towing our 30' Classic in the hills of Western PA we blew the back curb side brake assembly apart about 100 miles short of our destination an AS rally. The noise and the grinding I knew what it was and it was destroying our brake drum. So, I disconnected the electrical from the truck and trailer and drove on. With the F350 I honestly did not know the trailer had no brake capability at all. The F150 would not have been capable. I don't advise this, but it worked and worked flawlessly up and down hills, then onto and exiting an interstate. Also, I can't speak more highly of Coach Net. In the middle of the hills of western PA on Saturday morning they sent an interstate wrecker to our campsite, the young man took the tire off, cleaned up the brake mess and put the wheel etc back on. Then Dexter sent me after I called them four new brake assemblies as well as drums at no charge.

In, sum, I think at least for us it's a matter of lateral stability while towing and having a tow vehicle big enough and strong enough to help the driver in some pretty adverse condiditons and was designed to do so. We went with an F350 because Ford gave us a massive discount as a "loyal customer" plus another loyalty discount. While a GM at one facility I purchased over 50 Ford trucks and SUVs from one dealer and it's the same one we buy from today.

No matter what you drive or tow with - all have a safe and wonderful Airstream towing life. God Bless.

Bud

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
paiceman post above is good to understand. I also pulled 2 different model year 25's (2008 FC and a "new"2014 FC) with my then "new" 2012 F150 Platinum 4x4 Echoboost, with Max Trailer Tow package. Never an issue with power while towing, but my "actual" payload was only 1039lbs! I didn't understand the "on-line" advertising spec and "sales folks" were that far off telling me the F150 has over 2000lbs payload I only found out how far off I was when I started paying attention to payload threads, here on he Forum...what a shock to find out how overloaded I was with that truck!

Anyway, The F150 EB towed fine; I had some braking issues couple times coming down steep grades and I had to slow down due to overheating while traveling thru Vegas in summer a few times. But, like paicman, I also was overloaded with kayaks, a generator, camp gear, firewood, most trips and did not know it first few years! Getting it right is important. To me, towing is not the issue; its being within spec, braking, and handling on the road. The 1/2T's will tow fine for most AS's up to a 25' AS, but I personally, would not go to bigger models with any 1/2T(27'-30').
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote