Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Crested Butte , Colorado
Exclamation 1/2 ton to pull 25ft Globetrotter?

Chose the rig, then bought new GMC 1500 set Sierra with 6.2 liter engine 10 speed. Am I pushing this trucks ability to tow the 25 ft globetrotter? I am a bit worried and the numbers are jumbling in my head. I don’t know the specific weight of the trailer as it isn’t due for delivery until late August.
Any experienced/knowledge advice would be greatly appreciated!
TriciaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Probably not, but it depends upon how you spec'd the truck. Tell us more.....cab configuration, trim level, etc.
How many occupants?
Weight and placement of gear in bed?

What does the payload sticker on the driver door jamb say?

I tow a 30' 2007 Classic with a 2015 6.2L Maxtow, 8 speed. It is a great TV.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

In my personal opinion, any tow vehicle should have extra capacity to handle most anything that life throws your way over the next few years.

This one probably does not that margin of error IMO.

Could you "make it work" with lots of effort, and possible compromises all over? Maybe.

Personally I would shift gears into a more comfortable range.

Why start the journey with the deck stacked against you?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
As mentioned above, you could be okay with careful loading, but it will be close. Your main limiting factor will be payload capacity. For comparison, I tow a 23FB with a GMC half ton truck. It’s a smaller, lighter trailer than the 25-footer, and I have to load it carefully. It’s well within my limits in most cases, but if I bring my wife, my dog, a generator, etc., then it gets really close to the payload limit.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG View Post
Chose the rig, then bought new GMC 1500 set Sierra with 6.2 liter engine 10 speed. Am I pushing this trucks ability to tow the 25 ft globetrotter? I am a bit worried and the numbers are jumbling in my head. I don’t know the specific weight of the trailer as it isn’t due for delivery until late August.

It depends. I've got a 1500 Sierra, but I have the 5.3 in an AT4, so my numbers will be different than yours.
As you have a 6.2, yours is most likely a crew-cab, does it have a short or standard bed? The big factor, though, is if it has what's referred to as a 'max trailering' package, that has the 3.42 rear-end gear instead of the 3.23, that would shift your towing ability from around 8600lbs or so to around 11,000lbs or more, give or take.
However, what folks often find is, that the towing capacity isn't what's limiting, it's the tongue weight and/or the payload. With the 6.2 being heavier, it actually eats up some of the payload; but, if you have the 'max trailering' package, it has a different rear axle and uprated springs, it might have enough, depending on what else you're needing to carry.

If you travel light, is only one or two people and don't really carry a lot in the bed of your truck as you go, it may do. If you carry a whole lot (generators, fuel, tools and spare parts, bikes and other gear) and have five people packed into the vehicle, you may find that you don't have enough payload.

Check the sticker in the driver's door of the truck, on the pillar. It'll tell you what your truck's rating is.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Looking at the specs for the queen 25FB Globetrotter and the lowest tow rating for a 2021 1500 w/6.2L shows a tow rating of 8800lbs and a GVWR of the Globetrotter @ 7300lbs.

Unless I am missing something or you grossly overload the Globetrotter or load it in a manner that would lead to heavy sway, you have far enough power and capacity to pull that 25er no problem. Didn't check the wheelbase, but pretty sure it's at least 130" and if so or even within a few inches either direction, I wouldn't loose ANY sleep with that combo.

I pulled a 28' with a mid 2000s GM Yukon XL 4x4 that had a tow rating of 9600lbs...slightly more than yours, but lesser engine (at the time) and pulling more than you are, so enjoy, you are fine in my book based on what I can see!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Having recently gone down the rabbit hole of trying to determine GMC towing specifications, I can tell you that GMC doesn't make it easy. If you want to really understand the towing specifications of an individual truck, you need to refer to the owner's manual, the information sticker on the door jamb, the product brochure, and the build sheet/RPO code listing for the specific truck. There's a huge amount of information to research and digest to understand it, but it's the only way that you can see exactly what options are on your truck, and how these options impact towing and payload capacity. Your GMC sales person will not know enough to help.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I have found the 25FB to have little or no sway. Maybe it’s because it is so tongue heavy. We did find the heavy tongue weight made our 1/2 ton Tundra porpoise a bit on concrete slab highways. It was annoying. We added a Roadmaster Active Suspension. To the rear leaf springs. It’s transformational. No more feeling of excess weight from the our 25 GT twin. Folks here will tell you that you have to have a one ton diesel. I’ve found that not to be the case. The RAS truly changes the ride. It’s not a gimmick. Warning! It does not change the door sticker! You may be over the payload limit on the sticker! But it rides and pulls great without any issues.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
The problem you are going to have is the cargo capacity. What does your sticker say for your truck. Despite the brochure advertised tongue weight of 25, if you actually weigh it loaded up for travel it will easily exceed 1000lbs. If you have a cargo capacity in the 1200-1400lb range, this will not leave much, if any, room for passengers and cargo.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Can it be done, sure 95% of the time no issues. The confidence factor of pulling with a 3/4 ton is immeasurable to me.
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
Been there; done that.
When it was time to get a newer TV, I switched from 1/2 to 3/4 ton. This was mostly due to payload (as others have noted.) Although my 1/2 ton did OK towing our 25' with a P3 hitch, I'm much happier with the larger truck.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your proposed half ton tow vehicle, it will probably pull your 25' globetrotter OK. The area that may be marginal is the load capacity of the truck. The tongue of a 25FB with a Hensley hitch system is well over 900#. When you add two passengers, a full fuel tank, and the usual camping junk in the bed of the truck, you may well be at or over the truck's payload capacity.

We have been towing a 25FB for fifteen years. We have logged 2,200 nights of Airstream camping, and have 200,000 miles of Airstream towing. We have always used 3/4 ton tow vehicles. At first we used 2500 Suburbans and then move to 2500 Silverados. We take long Airstream trips (90+ days) and carry a lot of stuff with us, including a 3000 watt generator and a complete set of tools. We really need a 3/4 ton for the load capacity.

If you are not carrying a big load of cargo in the bed of the truck, you will probably do OK with a half ton tow vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Towaco , New Jersey
For what it's worth...

My 2016 F-150 w/tow package has been a worthy companion to my 2014 Flying Cloud 27FBQ for 4 years and 45,000 tow miles...even up and over the Continental Divide and thin air elevations

I currently tow a 2018 Globtrotter 27FBQ with the same truck without any issues.
Bigger is NOT always better

See StreamingThruAmerica.com to follow.
streaming52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB International Serenity had a literature tongue weight of 833 pounds. With full propane and fresh water tanks, a Hensley Arrow hitch head and a Prodigy RF brake controller installed, the tongue weight was 1,150 pounds. By putting the tools and heavy stuff in the rear, we were able to load the trailer for camping with our stuff and kept the tongue weight to 1,175 pounds.

This tongue weight then requires a payload on the tow vehicle closer to 1,800 pounds to allow for a generator, spare propane, lawn chairs and two people and a possible solar system install.

There are ½ ton trucks out there with that kind of payload capability, but a lot of research will be needed to find such a vehicle.

We ended up with a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins that now tows our 31' Classic that scales 9,200 pounds with a 1,175 pound tongue weight.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Not an issue

Thats mirrors our rig (Penelope) 2015 FC25FB and TV is a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500. More than enough power and pull...eyes on the road and drive like you mean it.
Good luck and Happy trails.

Quote:
hdeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We pulled our 25' FC FBT to AK and back (14,000 miles) with a Sierra 1500 5.3L 8-speed, and did not have any problems. We are currently pulling it with a Silverado 1500 6.2L 10-speed - also with no problems, but better acceleration and engine braking capability. Both had the max trailering option and just under 2000# payload based on the door jam label. We upgraded for more power and the camera features.

We are using an Equal-i-zer hitch that is properly adjusted for our setup, and we don't experience any sway issues. We recently had a near miss on the FL turnpike when a couch fell off the truck in front of us, and went spinning around in the lane as I slammed on the brakes and steered to avoid it. I never felt our rig was out of control. We currently have about 60,000 miles of towing experience between the two trucks, including the eastern and western mountains, and the AS has been a joy to tow.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrout View Post
Can it be done, sure 95% of the time no issues. The confidence factor of pulling with a 3/4 ton is immeasurable to me.
I am in the camp of those who say a 3/4 ton platform is the appropriate choice, for safety (stability in bad conditions) and for the payload margin, so you can take what you want without having to pack for "balance" and weight management. I have had both, towing the 25', and the 3/4 ton is far more stable, by a long margin. Although you don't have your trailer yet, the most common thing I advise those asking for input is to get to a CAT scale and weigh your rig when packed and loaded (including full fuel tank on the tow vehicle). Sure, lots of folks pull it with a 1/2 ton, and the total weight number is under the tow rating number, but there are several critical numbers to watch. Payload is one, axle load (particularly on the tow vehicle) is another. When I had my F-150, I found from the CAT scale that towing just my trailer, and a few tools in my pickup bed (ie, not packed for a trip), my F-150 rear axle was already overloaded. It was a small margin over, but I was not yet packed for a camping trip so it was surely going to get worse. I want safety margin, and peace of mind, and a 3/4 ton tow vehicle is the way to have that, for a 25' or larger. Lots of diesel fans on the forum, but you certainly do not require a diesel, I don't have one. There are a couple others on the forum that have an expression I like, sorry I don't recall who ..... "everything is ok, until it isn't" ....I think that is a good summary of towing with a 1/2 ton platform. In peaceful conditions, good weather, moderate speed, generally good. If you need to make a panic stop, or avoidance maneuver, or handle a sudden gust of wind at a delicate time, the smaller your tow vehicle, the more you are rolling the dice.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Saranac Lake , New York
Good to go

Well within capability. I think folks way over do tow vehicle requirements. Depending on model truck you have over 9K tow capacity and probably much more At least 15K combined vehicle/trailer weight and possibly significantly more. A hitch receiver capable of 1K tongue wt. I’ve towed a 2019 28 FT FC for 30k miles over 8k mountain passes no problem with a 1/2 ton Suburban.. The equalizer hitch was also great. If you are in a big rush or If you feel the need to be able to exceed your 87 MPH tire limit get a 3/4 ton diesel...I routinely see them in the side of the road with shredded tires.
Condo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
New Eagle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Probably not, but it depends upon how you spec'd the truck. Tell us more.....cab configuration, trim level, etc.
How many occupants?
Weight and placement of gear in bed?

What does the payload sticker on the driver door jamb say?

I tow a 30' 2007 Classic with a 2015 6.2L Maxtow, 8 speed. It is a great TV.
Without looking at the Manual I’d be surprised if you Don’t have enough engine to pull the 7300lb globetrotter. The issue as mentioned above is tongue weight. I think the spec is 880lb before a weight distribution hitch. You need to subtract that RV tongue weight from the payload sticker on your drivers door. And whatever is left is the total weight allowed of your passengers and cargo including what’s in the bed.
Now, we do understand that many people will load the truck up over the published payload sticker and it may tow your RV fine, but if someone cuts you off and there’s an accident. Hoping all occupants are fine. And you were found to be overloaded your insurance company just may not pay any claim.
AirstrmAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #20

1978 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
1/2 ton pulling a Globetrotter

I have pulled a 31' Airstream for the past 16 plus years with 2003 Ram with Hemi engine and 5 speed gear box. Have pulled it in 49 states with no troubles.

You should have no troubles at all.

flyingmachine
flyingmach is offline   Reply With Quote