Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
'08F-Series Info

FYI
2008 FORD SUPER DUTY IN PRODUCTION AND SOON TO SELL
Ford recently announced that it invested $65 million in its Kentucky Truck Plant in order to produce the 2008 F-Series Super Duty pickup truck line. The first pickup just rolled off the assembly line on December 18, which is scheduled to hit the market in the latter half of first-quarter 2007.
In all, the ’08 Super Duty lineup will be available in 12 wheel bases; five different axle ratios; three different engine choices and either a manual or automatic transmission, says Robert Keller, marketing manager-Super Duty. New for ’08 is a 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine producing 350 hp and 650 lb.-ft. (881 Nm) of torque. The mill features Ford’s new clean-diesel technology, which includes piezo-hydraulic electric fuel injectors and a filter system that reduces particulate output 90% more than its predecessor. The 6.4L diesel boasts two turbochargers: a small unit for initial launch and a larger turbo to boost power through the middle of the torque curve.
The new mill propels the Super Duty 0-60 mph (97 km/h) one second faster than the outgoing 6.0L, Ford says. Traditionally, the take rate for diesel in the segment has been 75%, a spokesman says, adding that Ford has similar expectations for the ’08 model. The standout among the ’08 Super Duty lineup is the new F-450, which offers towing capacity in excess of 24,000 lbs. (10,000 kg) and a maximum payload of more than 6,000 lbs. (2,722 kg). The Super Duty exterior gets a “big rig” look, something Ford says its customers have asked for. The large grille and lowered headlights made the engineers’ job easier, providing more grille surface to better cool the big engines.
The typical Super Duty buyer is a “male in his mid- to late-40s, who believes in America, is typically a contractor and uses his truck for work and for his family,” Keller says, adding that about 85% of Super Duty buyers are men. Roughly 40% of total F-Series sales are Super Duty models, and that statistic should hold up for the ’08 model as well, Ford says.
Through November, Ford sold 46,288 medium-duty F-Series pickups, according to Ward’s data.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Be interesting to see. Hope it helps the bottom line...they could use a good shot in the arm......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok. I found it:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/2008superduty/

That 450 is a MONSTER!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Our local dealer recently sent us a sales brochure in the mail for the Ford Super Duty 2006 and 2007 models, which said one reason to buy one of these current models is that the 2008 diesel engines will cost $5,000 more due to the required new clean air standards.

I had planned to keep my 2000 F250 PSD another year or so and then get one of the new 6.4L Super Duties after the bugs are worked out (if they are by that time...?) but another $5,000 on top of the present $5,000 incremental cost of a diesel, plus the premium price of diesel at the pump, will be a big pill to digest when and if that time comes.

John

John
Old 12-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Our local dealer recently sent us a sales brochure in the mail for the Ford Super Duty 2006 and 2007 models, which said one reason to buy one of these current models is that the 2008 diesel engines will cost $5,000 more due to the required new clean air standards.

I had planned to keep my 2000 F250 PSD another year or so and then get one of the new 6.4L Super Duties after the bugs are worked out (if they are by that time...?) but another $5,000 on top of the present $5,000 incremental cost of a diesel, plus the premium price of diesel at the pump, will be a big pill to digest when and if that time comes.

John

John
On the new GM pickups, it appears the cost differential for the clean diesel technology will be about $1500. There were many people on various websites talking about it would be a $5000 hike up in prices, but these may have been dealers who are wanting to sell the trucks that they have in their inventories (GM, Ford and Dodge have 1000's of unsold 06 & 07 diesels on dealer lots). The dealers who are pushing the '06 and '07 models will use any info they have to make them look like the best choice. Then when they are gone they will have a new pitch to sell the "new & improved" '08's.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
On the new GM pickups, it appears the cost differential for the clean diesel technology will be about $1500. There were many people on various websites talking about it would be a $5000 hike up in prices, but these may have been dealers who are wanting to sell the trucks that they have in their inventories (GM, Ford and Dodge have 1000's of unsold 06 & 07 diesels on dealer lots). The dealers who are pushing the '06 and '07 models will use any info they have to make them look like the best choice. Then when they are gone they will have a new pitch to sell the "new & improved" '08's.
Yea, I did hear something along those lines....at first, before I bought my first car, I never understood what folks meant by car salesfolks.....it's clear as mud now!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Incentives

Sounds like it will be a good time to buy an 07 model. I would anticipate some good incentives will come along next summer.

Ford has cashback and 0% financing on 06 models now.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

John

John
John, If that is indeed true about this $10k premium for the new '08 Diesels, I'm glad i got the '06 when I did. But I would be very suprised if Ford went this direction by adding such a premium that could hurt sales when they could have gone to another diesel manufacturer who already had the new ultra-low sulfer compliance in place. Next time I am at the Ford dealer for a scheduled service, I'll talk to my salesman about the pricing for the new diesel 6.4L. I couldn't find anything for '08 pricing (only '07) online by googling for it and didn't see the higher prices. Do I understand this correctly that it won't be until late summer that the new diesels will be going into the Super Dutys as '08 models or are the new diesels going in the '07's early in 2007?

Anyhow, if I average as high as 18k miles per year on my Super Duty and a guess that I will replace it at around 250k miles, that's almost 14 years before I will need to even think of shopping for a new one. That's a few redesigns between now and then for Ford, GM and Dodge...
Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Had our local dealer call our home and give me a pitch on their need to have useds trucks such as mine in their used truck inventory, and was willing to give me full book value if I were to purchase a remaining 06 or 07 model in stock. I told him he was an idiot for calling me, and its to bad that Ford built such a wonderful truck back in 97 for less than half the cost of a current new one. Interesting that Ford realizes that there is no replacement for displacement in diesel engine formats. They should have continued with the 7.3
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Craftsman

I bought my 2006 F350 crew cab in June. I have a bit over 10k and it's running fine. I know the early 2006 6.0 L diesels had some problems but I'm glad I bought before the new 6.4 come out.You know they're going to cost more, get worse mpg's and they're unproven so if you can get a deal on a 2006 or 07 I say go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	30172  
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
John, If that is indeed true about this $10k premium for the new '08 Diesels, I'm glad i got the '06 when I did. But I would be very suprised if Ford went this direction by adding such a premium that could hurt sales when they could have gone to another diesel manufacturer who already had the new ultra-low sulfer compliance in place. Next time I am at the Ford dealer for a scheduled service, I'll talk to my salesman about the pricing for the new diesel 6.4L. I couldn't find anything for '08 pricing (only '07) online by googling for it and didn't see the higher prices. Do I understand this correctly that it won't be until late summer that the new diesels will be going into the Super Dutys as '08 models or are the new diesels going in the '07's early in 2007?
Well, maybe the increment will only be $1,800, and if so that's not nearly so bad.

According to my salesman at our local Ford dealer the new 2008 truck models are expected to be available sometime this spring, which is what Dennis4x4 had quoted in his original post.

Also, I understand that Ford dealership employees now get almost the same attractive purchase price as do Ford company employees. Ford employees (or qualified relatives) pay 3% less than the dealer invoice. Ford dealership employees pay that same price, plus $100.

I'm thinking of applying for a part time job as a driver at our local Ford dealership just before buying a new Ford truck. One of those drivers who transfers vehicles between dealerships. That way the additional discount I'd get would just about pay the increased cost of the diesel engine.

John
Old 12-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm really glad to see Ford making these improvemnets. Hopefully, a better ford HD ;ine wil wake up GM.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I dunno about the GM comment...they are making some really great trucks. Sure they are no F-450, but the Max/Allison combo is a proven winner. Now that the interiors have been fixed, the truck line is really a great truck to have.

Now in regard to it being a great time to buy....lemme tell you about my recent exp looking at a 31' Classic Dinette.

It was a 2006 model. They stopped making '06s around Mayish. This unit has sat for 7 months. Only a handful of folks can or will tow a 31' (present company on this forum excluded). They sales guy wanted to give me wholesale for my Safari and 12% off list for a coach that is nearly 1 year old. The split second those tires leave the lot, there will be an even bigger value hit compared to that of say an identical 2007. Yes, the '07 will cost a bit more, but if you pay 12% of sticker and buy last years model, two years down the road, you're gonna take a pretty good hit in most cases.

It's not always obvious that buying last years model isn't such a great deal. Sure compared to a new model it may look that way.

Another example. Bought a 2004 Suburban for about $10k off list. A pretty good deal yes? Sure. At first. But a year later, I really had a 2 year old Suburban that might be worth say $35k if I'm lucky. If I had bought a 2005 it might be worth more than my 2004, but I wouldn't have seen the price I got on the '04 on the '05.

The Reader's Digest version of all this is that one way or another, yer gonna pay. I took the up front discount and paid later in depreication. Either way you go though, more times than not, a vehicle (or RV) is a sunk cost as the bean counters say.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Now in regard to it being a great time to buy....lemme tell you about my recent exp looking at a 31' Classic Dinette.

It was a 2006 model. They stopped making '06s around Mayish. This unit has sat for 7 months. Only a handful of folks can or will tow a 31' (present company on this forum excluded). They sales guy wanted to give me wholesale for my Safari and 12% off list for a coach that is nearly 1 year old. The split second those tires leave the lot, there will be an even bigger value hit compared to that of say an identical 2007. Yes, the '07 will cost a bit more, but if you pay 12% of sticker and buy last years model, two years down the road, you're gonna take a pretty good hit in most cases.

It's not always obvious that buying last years model isn't such a great deal. Sure compared to a new model it may look that way [snip]......

....The Reader's Digest version of all this is that one way or another, yer gonna pay. I took the up front discount and paid later in depreication. Either way you go though, more times than not, a vehicle (or RV) is a sunk cost as the bean counters say.
If you intend to trade often and not take a hit, your asking for alot. Most folks I gather that buy a new Airstream (like my wife and I did this past summer) plan to keep it for many years, and not look to unload it in a year or three. With that in mind, why worry about the depreciation on your new Airstream if it's a keeper??

As for buying last year's model, that's exactly what we did and we saved a bundle (-$18k off Sticker to be exact). Actually, our '05 was purchased 2 years from it's date of manufacture, so it sat quite a while before we came along and took it home.

But I am not really concerned about depreciation at all. Buying a new Airstream was a long-standing desire for both my wife and myself and we plan to have this for many, many years to come allowing us to enjoy it now with our children and then well into our retirement years.