Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
We loved our '94, though the ABS brakes had quirky habit of just "releasing" every other year or so and not stopping at all... A few quick pumps (and a shot of adrenaline..) and all would be well for a few thousand miles...
We sold our 1994 1/2-ton GMC Suburban to a friend when we bought our 2002 3/4-ton Yukon XL for towing our SOB. The '94 Sub had ~90K miles when we sold it, and our friend still drives it....it now has 190K miles, and it is still going strong (and looks beautiful)! She is looking for something that gets better mileage....16-17 on the highway with the 5.7L gets old with these gas prices, especially when you don't need a vehicle for towing. We never had the brake problem, but from the time it was new, about once a year, the starter had a problem, where it wouldn't turn over; but, the second time you tried it, it fired right up. My friend eventually had to replace the starter at ~150K ;-) It was a great vehicle that served us well!

Cheers, Dee (and TinEarPaul)

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #82
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
We sold our 1994 1/2-ton GMC Suburban to a friend when we bought our 2002 3/4-ton Yukon XL for towing our SOB. The '94 Sub had ~90K miles when we sold it, and our friend still drives it....it now has 190K miles, and it is still going strong (and looks beautiful)! She is looking for something that gets better mileage....16-17 on the highway with the 5.7L gets old with these gas prices, especially when you don't need a vehicle for towing. We never had the brake problem, but from the time it was new, about once a year, the starter had a problem, where it wouldn't turn over; but, the second time you tried it, it fired right up. My friend eventually had to replace the starter at ~150K ;-) It was a great vehicle that served us well!

Cheers, Dee (and TinEarPaul)
Yes, those were great vehicles, with only few flaws. The brakes were worst flaw.
My 97 looked quite nice, too, especially righ after a car wash. 166000 miles, and no major issues. I had the same starter problem remedied it by installing a new starter just before summer. I saw up to 19mpg hwy with the 97, 14-15 around town. My Suburban had a Fuel injection recall done, where they replaced the injectors under some sort of emissions recall.
Last year the transmission broke, had it replaced. Other than that, just minor stuff like battery cables and battery, tires brakes, and Amsoil oil changes. Not a bad truck at all. My plan was to drive it to 200k and then take a really close look at it. But, so much for plans....
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #83
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Hey Uwe,

Sorry about the accident but congrats on the new 'burb! The brake issues make me think about our '96 Burb. I've been through two power brake boosters in two years. The first one lasted 112k miles, the second only 12k, now I'm on number three. Braking this big beast gets me anxious now, never knowing when I'll hear that hissing noise of vacuum loss and the subsequent difficulty coming to a stop. Not a good thing.

As much as I like my vehicle - it's been paid off for 6 years - a truly reliable braking system would do wonders for my peace of mind.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #84
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Pictures

Some pictures of the new ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300017.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	44164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300016.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	44165  

Name:	P8300014.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	44166   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300013.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	44167  

Name:	P8300009.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	44168   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300008.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	44169  

Name:	P8300007.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	44170   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300006.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	44171  

Name:	P8300005.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	44172   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300003.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	44173  

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #85
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster
Hey Uwe,

Sorry about the accident but congrats on the new 'burb! The brake issues make me think about our '96 Burb. I've been through two power brake boosters in two years. The first one lasted 112k miles, the second only 12k, now I'm on number three. Braking this big beast gets me anxious now, never knowing when I'll hear that hissing noise of vacuum loss and the subsequent difficulty coming to a stop. Not a good thing.

As much as I like my vehicle - it's been paid off for 6 years - a truly reliable braking system would do wonders for my peace of mind.

Virginia
Virginia,

I knew that the brakes were marginal, and always drove somewhat defensive, instead of aggressive. However, the one time that things got hairy, therer were not enough reserves to stop in time. I am pretty sure the abs was acting up because I stomped o the pedal too hard, and too fast. There was a sensation of a lurch, followed by some nose dive, followed by a loud crash.
Be careful with yours if you're already sensing trouble. Might be a good idea to hit a deserted parking lot and do some brake testing.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #86
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Once a"burb" man always a burb man!
Gee this brake thing has me droppin my beer!
I recently decended Donner Pass to Sacramento without trailer brakes at all. The 454 had enough compression to keep things under control and I only taooed the brakes on ocassion!
Maybe I should be Tapping my head!
Nice ride Uwe! Did you buy back the wreck?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #87
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Nice ride Uwe! Did you buy back the wreck?
Not yet, they haven't come forward with an offer yet.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #88
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
How's the air conditioning in the new burb? The temp topped out here in Riverside at 109.1 today. [Gasp!] There's alot of space in a Suburban to cool off - I usually have to drive a few miles before I get any relief from my A/C system and on these really hot days, it never really cools sufficiently.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #89
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster
How's the air conditioning in the new burb? The temp topped out here in Riverside at 109.1 today. [Gasp!] There's alot of space in a Suburban to cool off - I usually have to drive a few miles before I get any relief from my A/C system and on these really hot days, it never really cools sufficiently.

Virginia
My 1997 had no A/C problems, ever. I had dual A/C, and only on the hottest days -like today was - would I have to turn on both a/c's to cool the interior to a noticeable chill. Most of the time I would go to the low or medium speed, and then turn the temp dial slightly towards the red zone so it wasn't getting too cold in the cabin. But one thing I noticed was that it does take a little longer then in a regular car to get the interior cooled down.
Your system might be restricted, or perhaps low on R134, best to get it checked out.
The 2007 has excellent A/C, dual zone in the front, and also has a condenser in the rear, with it's own blower. It seems to be doing fine, I still only have about 120 miles on the car, mostly driven at night.
This weekend will be a good test for the new A/C.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Uwe, Does the new burb handle sand better than the old one?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #91
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Uwe, Does the new burb handle sand better than the old one?
See Post #76
Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
My 1997 had no A/C problems, ever. I had dual A/C, and only on the hottest days -like today was - would I have to turn on both a/c's to cool the interior to a noticeable chill. Most of the time I would go to the low or medium speed, and then turn the temp dial slightly towards the red zone so it wasn't getting too cold in the cabin. But one thing I noticed was that it does take a little longer then in a regular car to get the interior cooled down.
Your system might be restricted, or perhaps low on R134, best to get it checked out.
The 2007 has excellent A/C, dual zone in the front, and also has a condenser in the rear, with it's own blower. It seems to be doing fine, I still only have about 120 miles on the car, mostly driven at night.
This weekend will be a good test for the new A/C.
The AC was how we ended up with our first Suburban.... I was out with a birdwatching group on a 100+ degree day, and 8 of us were jumping in and out of the driver's Suburban. I went home and, instead of talking about the birds we saw, I told my husband about the amazing AC in this vehicle! We would drive a few miles, all 8 of us would pile out, birdwatch for 15-20 minutes, then pile back in, and that vehicle cooled off within a few minutes of starting off.

I know our 1994 had dual condensers....did you special order dual AC, or did they all come that way?

btw....the new 'Burb is a beauty! She will give you years of good service, I am sure. Perhaps we will see you again at one of the NorCal Forums Rallies!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #93
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5
I know our 1994 had dual condensers....did you special order dual AC, or did they all come that way?

btw....the new 'Burb is a beauty! She will give you years of good service, I am sure. Perhaps we will see you again at one of the NorCal Forums Rallies!
The LT1 package that came with my Suburban does have the dual a/c, with rearfacing controls above the audio screen between the front seats. I believe that all 07 and later Suburbans have the dual a/c systems.
We will for sure see you at one of the Rallies!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #94
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
A couple of weeks, and 1200 miles

Here's a few observations on the 07 Suburban I bought a few weeks ago. I have not towed with it yet, haven't even installed the brake control etc. but it has been a joy to drive so far. My fuel milage has been between 16 and 18 mpg, with mixed driving in the city and on highways.
The handling of this Suburban is tight and relatively precise for a vehicle of that size. I drove it through Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP last week, with plenty of mountain rods and twisty back roads. It handled the challenging roads like a champ. Excellent brakes, I might add. It feels like a much smaller vehicle, showing it's weight and mass only when pushed hard into tight turns. This also causes groans from unsuspecting passengers, I found out.
The Suburban rides nicely for a truck, and is very quiet. It goes arrow straight down the freeway, and has only very little sensitivity to changing wind and passing trucks etc. It hides the fact that it has a solid rear axle quite well. The control of the very heavy rear suspension is exemplary. The combination of coils springs and rear axle trailing arms feels pretty darn close to an independent suspension to me. The shock absorbers are too mushy though, allowing at least 2 rebounds after crossing railroad tracks.
Visibility out the front is challenging, since it is very hard to judge where the truck's bumper is from the driver seat. I ended up parking like an amateur half the time, with 4 feet of room to the curb. The shape of the hood and the bulk in front of the windshield cause this to be a dimension I must get used to first. Side and rear visibility seem ok to me.
There are some rattles in the interior, which come and go depending on temperature. One annoying rattle is originating from inside the dashboard. It might be caused by a seam where two plastic pieces overlap near the windshield.
Loading/unloading is more difficult than it was on my 97. The cargo floor is higher, and the rails for the third row seats protrude nto the cargo area. This Suburban no longer has a flat cargo floor, and it's not possible to transport full 8ft long objects. 84in is maximum length for sheet goods, 6in less for boxy goods. If the second row seats were removeable also, or if they folded like the previous ones, then the cargo length would be almost 9ft. Bummer for the 4x8 sheet crowd. GM messed up, definitely, on the cargo arrangement on the 07's. The 97 was near perfect in that regard. You can't sleep in teh 07 any longer, the flat section of cargo floor is too short. Another Bummer.
The bumpers or bumper covers are very flimsy. It looks like these could be damaged easily by a shopping cart, or even a minor bump from another vehicle. I bought the optional rear valance to cover the tow hitch that otherwise protrudes from the center of the rear bumper. This valance, which is an original GM part, is also very flimsy. I would be surprised if it lasted more than a year or two.
The tow hitch is integral tot he rear frame crossmember, and very high up. It requires a substantial drop-shank to get to an acceptable level to tow an Airstream. The hitch recepticle looks much less solid than the hitch on my 97. But yet, this truck has almost 2000lb more tow rating. Can't wait to try it out next month.
The engine and transmission are silky smooth. Shift points seem perfectly matched to the engine's power band, and quite intuitive. Sudden throttle movements can manipulate the transmission nicely, causing quick downshifts, while lazy throttle activation makes for a very quiet, relaxed mode of transportation, with barely a noise from the drivetrain.
The sound of the engine is pleasant when it's revving, giving just enough feedback to know where it's at, and what it's doing. It revvs freely, and seemingly without much strain. It does not feel like 320hp, though. I would rate it's performance on the tamer side of things. One has to really setp on the gas to make this truck accelerate quickly. Which is fine by me. Wonder how that translates into towing performance.
The stereo sounds bad, especially after listening for a while. Too much bass, and muddy frequency response. This is not the upgraded stereo with the Bose system. The Infinity system in the 97 was/is much better, although not perfect either. Cutting the bass eq by about half, and boosting the midrange and treble helps a bit. It does not remember the eq setting once the ignition is turned off. The ipod input works nicely, giving a sound much like FM, or the CD, but of course with the same lame overall sound. This one I will have to improve upon, eventually.
I like the seating position a lot, it feels more like a car than a truck. It took me a while to get used to the 97, but this one's a natural for me. The suport of the seats is just enough for my 200+ pound bones. The steering wheel controls for the stereo and the cruise control work very well, and are a nice addition.
OnStar is nice to have! I bought some extra minutes for the built in hands free phone, but unfortunately it does not work any better than my Verizon handheld. No advantage in reception there, other than the convenience and integration in the sound system. I can actually add the Suburban to my Verizon family plan for about 10bucks a month. Might do just that, for the convenience and additional phone number. Hey - bragging rights - my truck has it's own phone number. Now all I need is for them to give it it's own zip code - the size of it is about right.
I like the tire pressure monitor system. I do wish it could monitor trailer tires as well.
All in all, even with it's flaws, I still am happy with my choice.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Uwe,

I'm glad you like it! Your description of the Suburbans characteristics sound very familiar to me. I am continually amazed at how my Yukon XL feels like a smaller vehicle. I agree that the fit and finnish could be better, but all in all it is a VERY solid truck.

Have fun!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
North Ogden , Utah
tow vehicle

My wife refused to drive my 2006 2500 Chevy duramax-too big she said. So we wound up with the Ford Expedition EL. As many have commented the folding flat third seats are great. On our GM products I always wound up removing those ^*(*(^&% 3rd row seats. On the open road we get about 2 miles more per gallon then we ever got from either tahoes we owned. The last one with the 4:10 axle ratio did pull slight better than this Expedition. but it is maybe a tad better than the 3.73 unit we had. We also like the access to the 3rd row seats which is far superior to the suburban's access. My only regret is that even though Ford offers a 4:10 rear axle none of the dealers in our area buy it.
uucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #97
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
First long tow

Last weekend was my forst long tow with the new Suburban. I must say that it performed very well, much better than expected. It can hadle steep hills with ease, although the engine revvs at around 3500rpm, climbing at 55mph. But I am told tat it is designed to work that way. Towng mileage is about 13mpg, my speed other than on hills was around 65mph. The combination of this Suburban and the Overlander seems near ideal when taking daily practicality into account. My impression was that the setup is much more stable on the freeway than with the 97 Suburban, and the ride is much softer. I felt little to no freeway hop. The brakes are superb, the combination of the Suburban's brakes with the trailer's discs is simply mind boggling. I did some pretty stupid fast stuff coming down Walker Pass Road, and it's truly impressive. Anyways, so far I'm happy with my new Suburban.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5274.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	932.1 KB
ID:	48733  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
[quote=uwe]Last weekend was my first long tow with the new Suburban. quote]

They make a handsom couple.

I'm glad to hear the latest generation of Suburbans are fully Airstream capable. If and when my Yukon XL wears out, I'll getting a new one myself.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I looked at the expedition el before leasing a 08 4x4f150 lariat with the 5.4 373 gears and tow package. My sense is they are close and this has been just a great tow vehicle. Mine is rated at approx 9500 and the 08 safari fully loaded is about 6300. I have been from michigan to calif and on my way back. Never have I felt we were in trouble even through the sant ana winds and fires. I wanted a 4 door truck to throw hoses, and all the dirty stuff I find camping comes along with. Really would investigate if the el can be set up like a 150 and you might have a winner.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #100
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
I looked at the expedition el before leasing a 08 4x4f150 lariat with the 5.4 373 gears and tow package. My sense is they are close and this has been just a great tow vehicle. Mine is rated at approx 9500 and the 08 safari fully loaded is about 6300. I have been from michigan to calif and on my way back. Never have I felt we were in trouble even through the sant ana winds and fires. I wanted a 4 door truck to throw hoses, and all the dirty stuff I find camping comes along with. Really would investigate if the el can be set up like a 150 and you might have a winner.
Well, I already bought the Suburban instead of the EL.

Tags